PDA

View Full Version : Question on Peyton's neck?

TrueBlue10
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Thought I'd post a non-SB question I'd been wondering about ...

Is Peyton's current neck problem the result of a specific injury or did it happen off the field?

I only ask because I know Cooper Manning had spinal problems and Peyton's neck is, of course, part of his spine... just curious if this is a truly genetic thing Eli may face at some point in his life (even if it is well after his football career is over).

VelocityVirus
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
He got injured because of an erection lasting more then 4 hours.

Seriously though, this is all I could find about it:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/5/25/2188594/peyton-mannings-neck-injury-likely-did-happen-during-2010-season

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Is Peyton's current neck problem the result of a specific injury or did it happen off the field?

I only ask because I know Cooper Manning had spinal problems and Peyton's neck is, of course, part of his spine... just curious if this is a truly genetic thing Eli may face at some point in his life (even if it is well after his football career is over).

Petyon Manning had a bulging disc in his neck. They tried shaving it with micro-surgery (the least invasive surgical procedure for that) and it didn't heal properly.

Then he had an ACDF (anterior cervical disechtomy and fusion) to permanently correct it which is what kept him out the whole season.

It's not a surgery that is normally associated with ending a career unless there are further complications in addition to the effected disc.

For example, Moose Johnson had this procedure done 4 times in his career.

I don't believe his brother's condition has anything to do with Peyton's in any way.

Bulging discs (in either the back, neck or both) are very common in everyone on the planet over the course of their lives. Even more so for atheletes and especially atheletes of full contact sports.

Repairing them has also become very common place. Shaving a bulging disc and allowing it to heal and reform normally is the less invasive method. A discechtomy/fusion is the more long term and final solution.

A discechtomy is where they remove the spongy portion (the disc) between the verterbrae and replace it with either a bone-substitute or a titanium "cage". Then during the healing process, the spine actually grows up over the "cage", fusing one vertebrae to the next (hence the name, fusion). Range of motion for the area is slightly effected, but not radically (for a single disc that is).

Disc problems commonly present in two ways:

1) Pain (usually when in the back) that shoots from the lower back through the butt (similar to siatica).

2) Numbness in the hands (often when in the neck)

If the problem disc is in the neck and presents with numbness, it is often very similar to when your hands go number when you whack the inside of your elbow (the pinky and ring fingers specifically). The non-surgical treatment to this is to wear an Ace bandage (or similar brace) over your elbow (which Peyton was doing during the 2010 season).

Hope that helped.

TrueBlue10
01-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Kruunch -

Wow that was awesome! Thanks, man. I'm glad I asked!

Are you a doctor or am I just easily impressed? =)

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Kruunch -

Not a doctor ... but I had the surgery a couple of years ago (hence the knowledge).

Normally an ACDF surgery takes about 6 weeks to recover from (get the neck brace off) and up to a year to have the fusion fully form.

I don't remember Moose missing all that much time with these (half a season in '97 and the whole season in '99 which he never came back from). Considering his position (fullback) I'm kind of wondering if Peyton hasn't experienced more complications. It shouldn't have taken him so long to get back to throwing from this surgery.

bELIeve_in_Giants
01-24-2012, 05:25 PM
spinal stenosis is genetic, but both Peyton and Eli were tested for it after Cooper was diagnosed and they were both cleared. It'sbeen suggestedthat Peyton has been in pain for a few years with an injury occuring in the the Washington game of 2007. He took another hard hit in the opening game of last year that might have contributed more. </P>

</P>

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
spinal stenosis is genetic, but both Peyton and Eli were tested for it after Cooper was diagnosed and they were both cleared.* It's*been suggested*that Peyton has been in pain for a few years with an injury occuring in the the Washington game of 2007.*** He took another hard hit in the opening game of last year that might have contributed more.* </P>

*</P>

Shame about Cooper ... supposedly he was twice the QB that Peyton or Eli was growing up (could you imagine?!).

lnp12
01-24-2012, 05:58 PM
spinal stenosis is genetic, but both Peyton and Eli were tested for it after Cooper was diagnosed and they were both cleared. It'sbeen suggestedthat Peyton has been in pain for a few years with an injury occuring in the the Washington game of 2007. He took another hard hit in the opening game of last year that might have contributed more. </p>

</p>

Shame about Cooper ... supposedly he was twice the QB that Peyton or Eli was growing up (could you imagine?!).

he was actually a wide receiver (he was a senior when peyton was a sophomore and they got to play together, peyton threw to cooper almost exclusively haha) but a lot of people--including archie, if im not mistaken--speculated that he seemed to have the most natural talent and competitive drive. crazy to think if all three of them were in the nfl!

lnp12
01-24-2012, 05:58 PM
spinal stenosis is genetic, but both Peyton and Eli were tested for it after Cooper was diagnosed and they were both cleared. It'sbeen suggestedthat Peyton has been in pain for a few years with an injury occuring in the the Washington game of 2007. He took another hard hit in the opening game of last year that might have contributed more. </p>

</p>

he was actually a wide receiver (he was a senior when peyton was a sophomore and they got to play together, peyton threw to cooper almost exclusively haha) but a lot of people--including archie, if im not mistaken--speculated that he seemed to have the most natural talent and competitive drive. crazy to think if all three of them were in the nfl!

Victorcruzwr
01-24-2012, 06:21 PM
dont jinx it if he gets hurt i will be mad at you

SweetZombieJesus
01-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I like your sig

jerseyrattler
01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Kruunch -

</P>

</P>

He stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.</P>

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Petyon Manning had a bulging disc in his neck. They tried shaving it with micro-surgery (the least invasive surgical procedure for that) and it didn't heal properly.

Then he had an ACDF (anterior cervical disechtomy and fusion) to permanently correct it which is what kept him out the whole season.

It's not a surgery that is normally associated with ending a career unless there are further complications in addition to the effected disc.

For example, Moose Johnson had this procedure done 4 times in his career.

I don't believe his brother's condition has anything to do with Peyton's in any way.

Bulging discs (in either the back, neck or both) are very common in everyone on the planet over the course of their lives. Even more so for atheletes and especially atheletes of full contact sports.

Repairing them has also become very common place. Shaving a bulging disc and allowing it to heal and reform normally is the less invasive method. A discechtomy/fusion is the more long term and final solution.

A discechtomy is where they remove the spongy portion (the disc) between the verterbrae and replace it with either a bone-substitute or a titanium "cage". Then during the healing process, the spine actually grows up over the "cage", fusing one vertebrae to the next (hence the name, fusion). Range of motion for the area is slightly effected, but not radically (for a single disc that is).

Disc problems commonly present in two ways:

1) Pain (usually when in the back) that shoots from the lower back through the butt (similar to siatica).

2) Numbness in the hands (often when in the neck)

If the problem disc is in the neck and presents with numbness, it is often very similar to when your hands go number when you whack the inside of your elbow (the pinky and ring fingers specifically). The non-surgical treatment to this is to wear an Ace bandage (or similar brace) over your elbow (which Peyton was doing during the 2010 season).

Hope that helped.There are other things you can do that are least evasive, but hard to get an idea w/o having his files, X-rays and MRIS if taken, and other exams.

TrueBlue10
01-25-2012, 01:15 AM
I like your sig

ditto!