PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question...

RoanokeFan
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
...Several weeks ago, the media regaled us with a "poll" of some 132 players in the NFL. The question reportedly asked was which active NFL coach would you not want to play for. There was a "you could see it coming" side angle pitting Rex Ryan's coaching style and flamboyance with Ton Coughlin's serious, more direct approach.

Many in the media and on here wanted, and some still do, Coughlin replaced, preferring Ryan's style to Coughlin's.

Here's the question: How many of those 132 players, none of whom ever played for Coughlin, are in the playoffs? We know which coach still is. (BTW Billichick was not far down the ladder behind Coughlin).

GmenFan1980
01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
...Several weeks ago, the media regaled us with a "poll" of some 132 players in the NFL.* The question reportedly asked was which active NFL coach would you not want to play for.* There was a "you could see it coming" side angle pitting Rex Ryan's coaching style and flamboyance with Ton Coughlin's serious, more direct approach.*

Many in the media and on here wanted, and some still do, Coughlin replaced, preferring Ryan's style to Coughlin's.

Here's the question:* How many of those 132 players, none of whom ever played for Coughlin, are in the playoffs?* We know which coach still is.* (BTW Billichick was not far down the ladder behind Coughlin). *

Who wants to play for super bowl winning coaches anyway. I hear that is overrated, rather have fun and win nothing instead. Now that's where it's at :P

BlueBlitzer
01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Funny how they don't want to run that poll now.

RoanokeFan
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM

I wonder what the results might be lol

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
players are stupid.</P>

their worlds are so much more than 'football' now, that alot of them get caught up in all the hype and side show antics.</P>

they get alot of money, alot of profile, and if the team you play on gets to the playoffs then 'any given sunday' makes you feel that you've always got a shot at a championship.</P>

so they'd obviously rather play for the soft-shelled Rex compared to "firm fair honest demanding" Coughlin because it makes your day to day alot easier.</P>

the the downside of Rex's style of coaching is apparent now, and i imagine the Jets thought there was no downside when he started to strut his personality out into the public arena.</P>

RoanokeFan
01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
...Several weeks ago, the media regaled us with a "poll" of some 132 players in the NFL. The question reportedly asked was which active NFL coach would you not want to play for. There was a "you could see it coming" side angle pitting Rex Ryan's coaching style and flamboyance with Ton Coughlin's serious, more direct approach.

Here's the question: How many of those 132 players, none of whom ever played for Coughlin, are in the playoffs? We know which coach still is. (BTW Billichick was not far down the ladder behind Coughlin).

Who wants to play for super bowl winning coaches anyway. I hear that is overrated, rather have fun and win nothing instead. Now that's where it's at :P

[;)]

RoanokeFan
01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
players are stupid.</p>

their worlds are so much more than 'football' now, that alot of them get caught up in all the hype and side show antics.</p>

they get alot of money, alot of profile, and if the team you play on gets to the playoffs then 'any given sunday' makes you feel that you've always got a shot at a championship.</p>

so they'd obviously rather play for the soft-shelled Rex compared to "firm fair honest demanding" Coughlin because it makes your day to day alot easier.</p>

the the downside of Rex's style of coaching is apparent now, and i imagine the Jets thought there was no downside when he started to strut his personality out into the public arena.</p>

Well said

mfraykor
01-24-2012, 04:48 PM

I wonder what the results might be* lol

It actually would be very interesting to see the results if they posted it now...

RoanokeFan
01-24-2012, 04:50 PM

I wonder what the results might be lol

It actually would be very interesting to see the results if they posted it now...

Unfortunately, it's not a news story they'd be interested in.

mfraykor
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM

I wonder what the results might be* lol

Unfortunately, it's not a news story they'd be interested in.

Who did the poll... ESPN/NFLN?

mfraykor
01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Nevermind... I found it... and I asked them to redo the poll now>>>LOL.. see what happens

bLuereverie
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I believe the results were this:

Tom Coughlin
Tony Sparano [who was winless at the time]
Bill Belichek

Two guys won Superbowls. The other guy had a team playing lights out for him in the end with nothing at stake.

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
players want to have their cake and eat it too, but as a Giants fan, i recognize that all of our Super Bowl wins were under strict coaches ... Parcells and Coughlin ... we did get to one under Fassel, who was more of a players coach, but didn't win

i think a team is more likely to break down and stay broke under a players coach with the Jets being a good example ... when things started going south they couldnt pull it together like we did

but at the heart of it all is winning ... guys that won under Coughlin in SB42 were far less likely to turn on him, whereas some of the newer players had to buy in, but now they are ALL IN!!!

BigBlue D
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
players want to have their cake and eat it too, but as a Giants fan, i recognize that all of our Super Bowl wins were under strict coaches ... Parcells and Coughlin ... we did get to one under Fassel, who was more of a players coach, but didn't win

i think a team is more likely to break down and stay broke under a players coach with the Jets being a good example ... when things started going south they couldnt pull it together like we did</p>

but at the heart of it all is winning ... guys that won under Coughlin in SB42 were far less likely to turn on him, whereas some of the newer players had to buy in, but now they are ALL IN!!!</p>

+1 -- Very well said.
</p>

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
...Several weeks ago, the media regaled us with a "poll" of some 132 players in the NFL.* The question reportedly asked was which active NFL coach would you not want to play for.* There was a "you could see it coming" side angle pitting Rex Ryan's coaching style and flamboyance with Ton Coughlin's serious, more direct approach.*

Here's the question:* How many of those 132 players, none of whom ever played for Coughlin, are in the playoffs?* We know which coach still is.* (BTW Billichick was not far down the ladder behind Coughlin). *

It's a ridiculous poll since those same players would play instantly for any coach given the right contract.

However I will say that TC's coaching style does tend to get lost after awhile and we've seen plenty of evidence of that.

The difference being that it gets found again.

I like Rex Ryan as a coach ... he had a fantastic defensive mind and relates great with his players. Now we'll see if he's actually a good HC in how he gets his team to respond in 2012.

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 05:54 PM

i think a team is more likely to break down and stay broke under a players coach with the Jets being a good example ... when things started going south they couldnt pull it together like we did

but at the heart of it all is winning ... guys that won under Coughlin in SB42 were far less likely to turn on him, whereas some of the newer players had to buy in, but now they are ALL IN!!!

Mmmm I'll disagree here.

Walsh, Vermeil, Gibbs and Dungee were all player coaches and were fine head coaches each of which built one or more strong clubs.

The difference I think you're trying to elude to is the difference between a "coach" and a "talker".

A coach knows his stuff and can relate it to his players.

A "talker" is a motivational guy who is the HC version of a used car salesman. They can have success, but almost always its a very inconsistant success based on how many are buying in to what they're saying at the time. Examples of "talkers" (both as players coaches and strict guys) would include Jim Fassel, Herman Edwards, Mike Singletary, Rahim Morris, etc ...

Rex Ryan is an interesting case ... he definitely has football smarts (at least on the defensive side of the ball) and he's obviously a talker .... time will tell whether he's a "talker" or "coach" though.

RoanokeFan
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM

i think a team is more likely to break down and stay broke under a players coach with the Jets being a good example ... when things started going south they couldnt pull it together like we did</p>

Mmmm I'll disagree here.

Walsh, Vermeil, Gibbs and Dungee were all player coaches and were fine head coaches each of which built one or more strong clubs.

The difference I think you're trying to elude to is the difference between a "coach" and a "talker".

A coach knows his stuff and can relate it to his players.

A "talker" is a motivational guy who is the HC version of a used car salesman. They can have success, but almost always its a very inconsistant success based on how many are buying in to what they're saying at the time. Examples of "talkers" (both as players coaches and strict guys) would include Jim Fassel, Herman Edwards, Mike Singletary, Rahim Morris, etc ...

Rex Ryan is an interesting case ... he definitely has football smarts (at least on the defensive side of the ball) and he's obviously a talker .... time will tell whether he's a "talker" or "coach" though.</p>

With the NFL being a results oriented endeavor, you'd have to give TC a leg up on Rex if not for anything else.
</p>

</p>

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 07:05 PM

First RF what do you want from players who never played for him to not go by perception given by the analysts. I remember a lot of taking heads were killing him, especially Bradshaw, and how he couldn't play for him.

But the real testament is how all (many of) his previous players loved him, and cannot say enough good things about him. Even the Jags owner said he regretted letting TC go.

Tc built a very good team, that De Rio couldn't do anything with. It was a waste of a lot of talent.

jerseyrattler
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM

i think a team is more likely to break down and stay broke under a players coach with the Jets being a good example ... when things started going south they couldnt pull it together like we did</P>

but at the heart of it all is winning ... guys that won under Coughlin in SB42 were far less likely to turn on him, whereas some of the newer players had to buy in, but now they are ALL IN!!! Mmmm I'll disagree here. Walsh, Vermeil, Gibbs and Dungee were all player coaches and were fine head coaches each of which built one or more strong clubs. The difference I think you're trying to elude to is the difference between a "coach" and a "talker". A coach knows his stuff and can relate it to his players. A "talker" is a motivational guy who is the HC version of a used car salesman. They can have success, but almost always its a very inconsistant success based on how many are buying in to what they're saying at the time. Examples of "talkers" (both as players coaches and strict guys) would include Jim Fassel, Herman Edwards, Mike Singletary, Rahim Morris, etc ... Rex Ryan is an interesting case ... he definitely has football smarts (at least on the defensive side of the ball) and he's obviously a talker .... time will tell whether he's a "talker" or "coach" though.</P>

With the NFL being a results oriented endeavor, you'd have to give TC a leg up on Rex if not for anything else.
</P>

</P>

</P>

Isn't it a shame thatsome people can't grasp theobvious ... lol</P>