PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers

Mercury
01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I still see people who want an upgrade at LBer for the 2012 season.

2011 starters:
OLB - Boley has proven himself to be the best LBer we have. He's a big play maker and a leader. He's one of the few that can cover a good TE, like Witten. Obviously, he will be a starter next year.

OLB - Kiwi has been solid at LBer. Yet, some want him back in the DE rotation. Whatever happens with Osi this off season will play a role in where Kiwi fits in. Is his spot a place you want to improve things? Is J. Williams your guy? He's been on the field a lot and made some great plays. Very good
rookie season to build on. Do you think he's a starter? Or is he a
backup, or situational player, as in 3rd down LB? Do you see a rookie here? Or a free agent?

MLB - Chase Blackburn? He's been playing better than I ever thought! Goff? Was really coming along and was underrated before injury. Is this where you want help? What about Herzlich? He was coming on too, before his injury. He'll have his first season under his belt. And perhaps, has the highest ceiling of the three mentioned. Personally, I'm rooting for him.

Backups - Paysinger and Jones all have contributed on STs as rookies. Sintim contributed very little prior to going on IR. However, I don't see them in the mix for starting jobs next season.

Honestly, I think we have more than enough starting talent at LBer! If they keep Osi, I go with Boley, Herzlich, and Kiwi as starters and J. Williams as situational. If Osi is traded, I move Kiwi to DE and
go with Boley, Herzlich, and J. Williams as starters. I'd keep Chase, Goff, Jones as backups. I'd replace backups Paysinger and Sintim with draft pick upgrades, one an early pick, and the other a late round pick. (Groom them for the future.)

galaxy10
01-25-2012, 10:02 AM

2011 starters:
OLB - Boley has proven himself to be the best LBer we have. He's a big play maker and a leader. He's one of the few that can cover a good TE, like Witten. Obviously, he will be a starter next year.

OLB - Kiwi has been solid at LBer. Yet, some want him back in the DE rotation. Whatever happens with Osi this off season will play a role in where Kiwi fits in. Is his spot a place you want to improve things? Is J. Williams your guy? He's been on the field a lot and made some great plays. Very good
rookie season to build on. Do you think he's a starter? Or is he a
backup, or situational player, as in 3rd down LB? Do you see a rookie here? Or a free agent?

MLB - Chase Blackburn? He's been playing better than I ever thought! Goff? Was really coming along and was underrated before injury. Is this where you want help? What about Herzlich? He was coming on too, before his injury. He'll have his first season under his belt. And perhaps, has the highest ceiling of the three mentioned. Personally, I'm rooting for him.

Backups - Paysinger and Jones all have contributed on STs as rookies. Sintim contributed very little prior to going on IR. However, I don't see them in the mix for starting jobs next season.

Honestly, I think we have more than enough starting talent at LBer! If they keep Osi, I go with Boley, Herzlich, and Kiwi as starters and J. Williams as situational. If Osi is traded, I move Kiwi to DE and
go with Boley, Herzlich, and J. Williams as starters. I'd keep Chase, Goff, Jones as backups. I'd replace backups Paysinger and Sintim with draft pick upgrades, one an early pick, and the other a late round pick. (Groom them for the future.)

I still think we need an upgrade at LB, Kiwi should go back to his natural position at DE. We need a fast LB to cover passing routes. We do not have that guy yet. However, I think that Willilams is the closest natural athlete of the group with good speed. He is still young and unproven with the mental aspect of the game. We need a game changer and a stud. We still don't have that guy on the roster.

MikeIsaGiant
01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Eh idk, I think we can get an upgrade at LBer position IMO

We'll see in the offseason who I have in mind

NYG55nwo
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM

2011 starters:

OLB - Kiwi has been solid at LBer. Yet, some want him back in the DE rotation. Whatever happens with Osi this off season will play a role in where Kiwi fits in. Is his spot a place you want to improve things? Is J. Williams your guy? He's been on the field a lot and made some great plays. Very good rookie season to build on. Do you think he's a starter? Or is he a backup, or situational player, as in 3rd down LB? Do you see a rookie here? Or a free agent?

</P>

I see where you are coming from but its kind of hard to assess this because we made it all the way to the super bowl. </P>

Razur
01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I still see people who want an upgrade at LBer* for the 2012 season.

2011 starters:
OLB - Boley has proven himself to be the best LBer we have.* He's a big play maker and a leader.* He's one of the few that can cover a good TE, like Witten.** Obviously, he will be a starter next year.

OLB - Kiwi has been solid at LBer.* Yet, some want him back in the DE rotation. Whatever happens with Osi this off season will* play a role in where Kiwi fits in.* Is his spot a place you want to improve things?* Is J. Williams your guy?* He's been on the field a lot and made some great plays.* Very good rookie season to build on.* Do you think he's a starter?* Or is he a backup, or situational player, as in 3rd down LB? ** Do you see a rookie here?* Or a free agent?

MLB - Chase Blackburn?* He's been playing better than I ever thought!* Goff?* Was really coming along and was underrated before injury.* Is this where you want help?* What about Herzlich?* He was coming on too, before his injury.* He'll have his first season under his belt.* And perhaps, has the highest ceiling of the three mentioned.* Personally, I'm rooting for him.

Backups - Paysinger and Jones all have contributed on STs as rookies.* Sintim contributed very little prior to going on IR.* However, I don't see them in the mix for starting jobs next season.

Honestly, I think we have more than enough starting talent at LBer!* If they keep Osi, I go with Boley, Herzlich, and Kiwi as starters and J. Williams as situational.* If Osi is traded, I move Kiwi to DE and
go with Boley, Herzlich, and J. Williams as starters.* I'd keep Chase, Goff, Jones as backups.* I'd replace backups Paysinger and Sintim with draft pick upgrades, one an early pick, and the other a late round pick.* (Groom them for the future.)
</P>

I see where you are coming from but its kind of hard to assess this because we made it all the way to the super bowl.* </P>

We didn't make it there on our LB's thats for sure...We should look for a vet in FA..specially now that our Defense's rep has been restoring itself,,,the rooks we have are still raw ...

MikeIsaGiant
01-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I still see people who want an upgrade at LBer* for the 2012 season.

2011 starters:
OLB - Boley has proven himself to be the best LBer we have.* He's a big play maker and a leader.* He's one of the few that can cover a good TE, like Witten.** Obviously, he will be a starter next year.

OLB - Kiwi has been solid at LBer.* Yet, some want him back in the DE rotation. Whatever happens with Osi this off season will* play a role in where Kiwi fits in.* Is his spot a place you want to improve things?* Is J. Williams your guy?* He's been on the field a lot and made some great plays.* Very good rookie season to build on.* Do you think he's a starter?* Or is he a backup, or situational player, as in 3rd down LB? ** Do you see a rookie here?* Or a free agent?

MLB - Chase Blackburn?* He's been playing better than I ever thought!* Goff?* Was really coming along and was underrated before injury.* Is this where you want help?* What about Herzlich?* He was coming on too, before his injury.* He'll have his first season under his belt.* And perhaps, has the highest ceiling of the three mentioned.* Personally, I'm rooting for him.

Backups - Paysinger and Jones all have contributed on STs as rookies.* Sintim contributed very little prior to going on IR.* However, I don't see them in the mix for starting jobs next season.

Honestly, I think we have more than enough starting talent at LBer!* If they keep Osi, I go with Boley, Herzlich, and Kiwi as starters and J. Williams as situational.* If Osi is traded, I move Kiwi to DE and
go with Boley, Herzlich, and J. Williams as starters.* I'd keep Chase, Goff, Jones as backups.* I'd replace backups Paysinger and Sintim with draft pick upgrades, one an early pick, and the other a late round pick.* (Groom them for the future.)
</P>

I see where you are coming from but its kind of hard to assess this because we made it all the way to the super bowl.* </P>

We didn't make it there on our LB's thats for sure...We should look for a vet in FA..specially now that our Defense's rep has been restoring itself,,,the rooks we have are still raw ...

Agreed, and we could use a veteran presence to get the rookies going, as much as I like Herz and JWilliams, I am not sure we can just throw them in there again next year.

We still need a vet, keep Boley he has been on fire

NYG55nwo
01-25-2012, 10:31 AM

2011 starters:

OLB - Kiwi has been solid at LBer. Yet, some want him back in the DE rotation. Whatever happens with Osi this off season will play a role in where Kiwi fits in. Is his spot a place you want to improve things? Is J. Williams your guy? He's been on the field a lot and made some great plays. Very good rookie season to build on. Do you think he's a starter? Or is he a backup, or situational player, as in 3rd down LB? Do you see a rookie here? Or a free agent?

</P>

I see where you are coming from but its kind of hard to assess this because we made it all the way to the super bowl. </P>

We didn't make it there on our LB's thats for sure...We should look for a vet in FA..specially now that our Defense's rep has been restoring itself,,,the rooks we have are still raw ...</P>

The orignal post stated that we dont really need help at LB. i was just saying you probably dont see it because we made it to the superbowl. I personally think we still need at least aVet through free agency. </P>

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I've been screaming for LBs for years, but their recent play makes me look at things differently. I would rather focus on the OL &amp; RB now instead. </P>

If Kiwi, Boley, and Goff / Blackburn are the starters next year, Williams and Herz should make for nice back-ups at the very least. Sintim is a total bust. Remember though -- if Osi is gone, we're probably going to move Kiwi back to DE, which I think would be a mistake because we should just leave him in one spot once and for all. Kiwi may even be an UFA after this year because I believe that he signed only a one year extension at the beginning of this year. And with Osi being gone and if they do keep and leave Kiwi at LB, then we'll need another DE to go along with JPP and Tuck. </P>

It's going to be a very interesting draft in 2012 -- many ways we can go, but hopefully it will always be the best talent available.</P>

Firenugget
01-25-2012, 11:02 AM
I want Kiwi back at DE, especially if we end up losing Osi.

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
MLB is the only question mark

Both Kiwi and J Will have been excellent at LB this season.

giantsfan39
01-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I am fine with Kiwi and Williams at OLB.

And I hope we keep Blackburn as a backup MLB and special teams player.

And find a starting quality MLB.

Curtis Lofton would be great.

Boley-Lofton-Williams with Blackburn as a backup. Kiwi moves back to DE once Osi is traded but can play backup OLB f Boley or Williams is injured.

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
We'd better win this SB, because there's going to be a lot of changes with key personnel this off-season.

M0rbid
01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd give Sintim one more chance. I still like his potential and could be a late bloomer.

M0rbid
01-25-2012, 11:53 AM
I am fine with Kiwi and Williams at OLB.

And I hope we keep Blackburn as a backup MLB and special teams player.

And find a starting quality MLB.

Curtis Lofton would be great.

Boley-Lofton-Williams with Blackburn as a backup. Kiwi moves back to DE once Osi is traded but can play backup OLB f Boley or Williams is injured.

If they trade Osi, they gotta draft another talented DE.

NYG55nwo
01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd give Sintim one more chance. I still like his potential and could be a late bloomer.
</P>

I played high school ball with this kid. i dont even know how he made it to the NFL. </P>

Seducer
01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I think J. Williams is that dude man.

myles2424
01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
We still need a legit monster at MLB & if kiwi goes back to DE which I &most others think should happen,then we'll also need to add a SLB....
Goff is a FA and fresh off IR.....alot of people gave goff a pass because he improved and was exceptable.....
But we still need a playmaking MLB....we have tons of talent all over the D & yet other than boley all of our LBs are just good enough to get by with.....
Imagine having LBs that can impact a game the way JPP or Osi do...

BigBlueFanNJ
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM
I think if Goff is healthy that would solidify the middle

Goff is a good two down backer bringing in J. Will on third downs and situational plays could definitely work, again depends on Goff's health.

otherwise a really good impact LB would be helpful

netplus
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
If Osi is resigned (I hope he is, D is clearly better with him), then I'd rather see early draft picks / free agent money spent on upgrading the offensive line. It's incredible we made it to the super bowl with this OL, thanks to great play from Eli and probably the best WR trio in the league.</P>

nygsb42champs
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Kiwi is a free agent. If we lose Osi in a trade I think Kiwi re-signs and go back to being a DE. If Osi is still here I think we will have a hard time bringing back Kiwi.

netplus
01-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Kiwi has only played 21 and 22 snaps the last two weeks. Makes you wonder if he'll get resigned.</P>

loaded30
01-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I like where were at at LBer. Sintum and Goff/Blackburn might be gone next year though. </P>

So yeah I can see us drafting a LBer or two.</P>

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Kiwi is under contract next season.

Ralph Brown
01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Kiwi is under contract next season.</P>

I don't say this is a mean way, but are you sure about this? I thought he signed a one year deal last year after his neck injury.</P>

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM

I don't say this is a mean way, but are you sure about this? I thought he signed a one year deal last year after his neck injury.</P>

he signed a two year deal.

From rotoworld- "7/28/2011: Signed a two-year, $8.6 million contract. The deal contains $4.55 million guaranteed, including a $2 million signing bonus, a first-year roster bonus of $300,000, and $500,000 of Kiwanuka's second-year base salary. 2011: $1.75 million, 2012: $4 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus + $300,000 roster bonus), 2013: Free Agent"

Ralph Brown
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM

he signed a two year deal. From rotoworld- "7/28/2011: Signed a two-year, $8.6 million contract. The deal contains $4.55 million guaranteed, including a $2 million signing bonus, a first-year roster bonus of $300,000, and $500,000 of Kiwanuka's second-year base salary. 2011: $1.75 million, 2012: $4 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus + $300,000 roster bonus), 2013: Free Agent"</P>

Sweet...thank you! Kiwi has been solid this year. </P>

KillaRich
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
IDK I have been wanting LB's for the longest.... But honestly Boley is the truth, Kiwi and J.Will rotating have been more than enough...... and chase has been a decent surprise , and the thing is he's not better than goff..... Goff was always a good run stuffer.... and got better in the offseason/preseason at both aspects running stopping and coverage ......

I think revamping the o-line is the biggest need

ibbill
01-25-2012, 04:47 PM
IDK I have been wanting LB's for the longest.... But honestly Boley is the truth, Kiwi and J.Will rotating have been more than enough...... and chase has been a decent surprise , and the thing is he's not better than goff..... Goff was always a good run stuffer.... and got better in the offseason/preseason at both aspects running stopping and coverage ......

I think revamping the o-line is the biggest need
I think revamping the o-line is the biggest need for sure I agree

AngryAZN
01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I think J. Williams is that dude man.*

I can't recall ever seeing him take on the back but he does look good working out in space. A LBs first priority is to stop the RB. The fact that our current ones aren't very effective at this is evidenced by the fact that our leading tackler is Rolle.

JimC
01-25-2012, 05:01 PM

2011 starters:

</p>

I see where you are coming from but its kind of hard to assess this because we made it all the way to the super bowl. </p>

<font color="#0000FF" size="5">We didn't make it there on our LB's thats for sure...</font>We should look for a vet in FA..specially now that our Defense's rep has been restoring itself,,,the rooks we have are still raw ...

Yes but our linebackers did not prevent us from getting there.

speedman
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Kiwi has only played 21 and 22 snaps the last two weeks. Makes you wonder if he'll get resigned.</P>Out of those snaps how many were at LB? I think they put him back at DE next year.

NYG4Life10
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Isn't kiwi a FA after the season?

I believe J-will will be a beast of a LB, Boley-Goff-J-Will I believe will be the LBs next yr with kiwi either going back to DE or signing some where else

speedman
01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Isn't kiwi a FA after the season? I believe J-will will be a beast of a LB, Boley-Goff-J-Will I believe will be the LBs next yr with kiwi either going back to DE or signing some where elseI think he's under contract for next year, but not sure. Does anyone out there know?

bLuereverie
01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes kiwi is under contract next year.

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 06:09 PM
[Out of those snaps how many were at LB? I think they put him back at DE next year.

Hes been really good at LB this season.

sunsgiants
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Guys I think we're locked at LB position. I think the depth chart for the base defense for next season (disregarding the draft) would look something like this:

<span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;">WLB</span><span style="font-weight: bold;"> </span><span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;">MLB</span><span style="font-weight: bold;"></span><span style="font-weight: bold;"> </span><span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;">SLB</span>
Michael Boley Jonathan Goff Matthias Kiwanuka
Jacquian Williams Chase Blackburn Mark Herzlich
Greg Jones Clint Sintim (If he stays healthy or isn't cut)

I'd say if we gave these guys got a good training camp with all the benefits they would be a pretty solid LB corps. Also, I think Kiwi has proved he can be a pretty good LB. He's locked and loaded as a LB and moving him back to DE might not be the best decision. However, if we do lose Osi to free agency than I'd rather draft another DE than move Kiwi back to DE. Just my two cents.

eli2cruz
01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I think we should move kiwi back to DE, I think it was him that on a key third down absolutley threw either sopanga or justin smith out of the way. If he wouldn't have done that they would have almost definently got that 1st. Correct me if I'm wrong. And what so you guys think of starting jwill at SLB. Kids had an awsome rookie season, and with another maturity and an actual training camp I think he can be aloot better.

sunsgiants
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I think we should move kiwi back to DE, I think it was him that on a key third down absolutley threw either sopanga or justin smith out of the way. If he wouldn't have done that they would have almost definently got that 1st. Correct me if I'm wrong. And what so you guys think of starting jwill at SLB. Kids had an awsome rookie season, and with another maturity and an actual training camp I think he can be aloot better.Yea that was a great play by Kiwi. I think he'd be a great situational DE but should remain at LB. JWill at SLB wouldn't be bad I think but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the SLB usually the strongest of the three since they line up against the tight end then again my knowledge on football isn't the greatest. I always thought of JWill as a fleet-footed LB with great coverage ability rather than the hard-hitting LB. Regardless, his ability to cover so well is great and a huge asset.

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
I think we should move kiwi back to DE, I think it was him that on a key third down absolutley threw either sopanga or justin smith out of the way.

That way Kiwi gets even less snaps a game.

Do realize the giants have three all-pro DEs in front of him...

Redeyejedi
01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
If Goff is healthy the Giants are in good shape.Jacquain Williams and Boley are great Nickel Backers. Keep Chase around just in case. U could bring in a MLB but I think the Giants are fine. I really like Williams and I wouldnt sell him short. The kid is a rookie and is playing huge pressure filled snaps and responding. I bet the Giants put some size on him.He might even end up being the best player from that draft class

jcrow
01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Good evaulation of LBers. I think you are a little higher on J Will then me. I would put Goff Boley Kiwi but I don't think any can cover a average to good TE so that's where you would play J Will or pick someone up. If you lose Osi you can maybe look at Marvin Austin who was hurt filling that role and keep Kiwi at LB. I would pick someone up in the draft I don't think Chase can play like he is for a whole season put love his energy and leadership. Either way alot of young good but not great options. If the league turns back in to a run league we would be in trouble any mix of our front seven can be run on if the other team commits to it. Our O and Eli scoring has forced teams to give up the run which has kept us from being exposed on that.

jcrow
01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
No he is signed. So is Osi so if the Giants want to keep both they can. If Osi wants out they should do the right thing either pay him or let him go he has been a true pro.

sunsgiants
01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I really hope we can keep our defensive core for next season and that we're able to develop our LBs. Jerry Reese believes that one can never have too many pass rushers so I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up a stud DE or OLB in the first round. If Melvin Ingram or Whitney Mercilus are still on the board, they might take a swipe at them.

Redeyejedi
01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Ingram doesnt have the length of a Giant defensive end. More of an Eagles pick