PDA

View Full Version : Bill parcells and Tom coughlin similarities

tripleaamin9
01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25.
Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????

DragonSoul
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25.
Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????Except BP screwed our Franchise, and others afterwards. Remember the lovely decade of the 90's lol

repeatchamps
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25. Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????</P>

<FONT size=2 face=Arial>There's more:</FONT></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells and Coughlingot his team in the playoffs aftertheir respectivefirstyears which was a losing record(i.e. in his second year as coach). Coughlin won the division, Parcells got a wildcard spot.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells and Coughlin got his team in the playoffs in their respective third years as coach. Parcells won the division, Coughlin got the wildcard spot.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells won the Super Bowl in hisfourth year as head coach w/ a bye and home field throughoutand Coughlin won the Super Bowl in his fourth year as head coachbutwon it as a wildcard road team.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells had a two year playoff drought after winning the Super Bowl but got back to the playoffs in the third year after the Super Bowl which included a division title and a#2 Seedonly to lose in their first playoff game. Coughlin followed up the Super Bowl win with another playoff appearance the following year which included a division title&amp; a #1 Seed but also bowed out in their firstplayoff gameand then had, like Parcells his2season playoff absence.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>In the 4th season after both Parcells' and Coughlin's first Super Bowl win, both coaches got the team a Division title and a return back to the Super Bowl. Parcells won and hopefully Coughlin does too. Coughlin had to win 3 games, Parcells only two but both had1 playoff home game. Both beat the 49ers in SF to return back to the Super Bowl on a last second/sudden death FG set up by a fumblethat faced the same goalposts at Candlestickwhich was kicked through by two different kickers (Bahr and Tynes)that both wore #9.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Both coaches had one 9-7 season that lead to playoffs. Both coaches have had 2 10-6 seasons one that lead to the playoffs (2007, 1985) and one that didn't (2010, 1988). After both coaches' 10-6 non-playoff appearance, the following yearboth coaches' teams won the division and hosted a playoff game.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">Differences of note</SPAN></U>[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">: <o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</FONT></FONT></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells notched 4 Division titles and one wildcard spotin8 seasons. Coughlin has notched3 division titles and2 wildcard spotsin8 seasons. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells' one 10-6 playoff appearance got him a division title and one home playoff game while Coughlin's 10-6 season that lead to the playoffs only got him the road wild card spot.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Both Coughlin's and Parcellsí non-playoff 10-6 season was ended because of a two-way 1st place tie-breaker with the Eaglesthat went against them. However, <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN>Parcells' 10-6 playoff appearance and division title was achieved because of a three-way 1st place tiebreaker with the Eagles and Cowboysthat went in his favor while Coughlinís 10-6 playoff season was achieved free and clear without tie-breakers but again only got him a road wild card spot (obviously that didnít matter).<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Coughlin has only had one losing season, his first. Parcells had two, his first and the strike shortened season the year after his first Super Bowl win (6-9). However, Coughlin finished 8-8 in 2006 and 8-8 in 2009. Parcells never finished 8-8.</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT size=1 face=Arial>Parcells onlywon a Super Bowl as a #1 or #2 Seed. Coughlin has won one Super Bowl as a Wildcard team and hopefully he will again this year as a low seeded division champ. Parcells never even got to an NFC Title game without the 1 or 2 seed.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT size=1 face=Arial>Parcells got the 1 seed once as did Coughlin but Parcells alsogot the 2 seed twice while Coughlin has neverclinched a 2 seed. Parcells also won a Super Bowl as the 1 seed while Coughlin was knocked out inhis first and onlyplayoff game as the 1 seed.</FONT></SPAN></P>

repeatchamps
01-25-2012, 01:50 PM
BUMP. Made some edits.

loaded30
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25. Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????Except BP screwed our Franchise, and others afterwards. Remember the lovely decade of the 90's lolWhy did he leave after the SB? I was to young then and didnt understand why he left.

repeatchamps
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25. Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????Except BP screwed our Franchise, and others afterwards. Remember the lovely decade of the 90's lolWhy did he leave after the SB? I was to young then and didnt understand why he left.</P>

His true reasoning was that he wanted to gain control of the GM spot from George Young. Well at that time that just wasn't going to happen. So he said heneeded to quit due tohealth issues once Belichick left for the Browns head coaching job and TomCoughlin left for the Boston Collegehead coaching job and we got stuck with Ray Handley.</P>

loaded30
01-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25. Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????Except BP screwed our Franchise, and others afterwards. Remember the lovely decade of the 90's lolWhy did he leave after the SB? I was to young then and didnt understand why he left.</P>

His true reasoning was that he wanted to gain control of the GM spot from George Young. Well at that time that just wasn't going to happen. So he said heneeded to quite due tohealth issues once Belicheck left for the Browns head coaching job and TomCoughlin left for the Boston Collegehead coaching job and we got stuck with Ray Handley.</P>thanks for the info. Never knew that.

repeatchamps
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM

His true reasoning was that he wanted to gain control of the GM spot from George Young. Well at that time that just wasn't going to happen. So he said heneeded to quite due tohealth issues once Belichick left for the Browns head coaching job and TomCoughlin left for the Boston Collegehead coaching job and we got stuck with Ray Handley.</P>

thanks for the info. Never knew that.</P>

No problem.</P>

PersonallyI think offensive coordinator RonErhardt should have gotten the head coaching job over Handley as he deserved a second chance after just missing the playoffs as head coach of the Pats for two of three seasons in '79, '80 and then a 2-14 stinker in '81(21-27 record)before he came to the Giants to be offensive coordinator.</P>

loaded30
01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
We had nothing but problems after BP left. Wish we did go RonErhardt. Would have been better than Handley hands down.

repeatchamps
01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
We had nothing but problems after BP left. Wish we did go RonErhardt. Would have been better than Handley hands down.</P>

I agree with you completely. He deserved it more for sure. By the way my name is David too.[:)]</P>

SweetZombieJesus
01-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Why did he leave after the SB? I was to young then and didnt understand why he left.

BP has ants in the pants. Look at his history:

1986 (SB XXI) -- He tried to quit after winning his first Super Bowl but Wellington Mara wouldn't let him out of his contract.

1990 (SB XXV) -- He did quit but very late into the offseason, in fact late May after the draft and rookie mini camp leaving nobody left and it was too late to bring in a new coaching staff. Left the Giants a wreck.

1996 (SB XXXI) -- Took the Patriots to the Super Bowl and had a public blowup with Robert Kraft over "shopping for the groceries" i.e. having GM powers to draft/sign players. After the SB loss he quit and took his coaching staff as well as some Patriot players to the Jets. Left the Patriots a wreck.

1999 -- Took the Jets to the AFC CG in 1998 and then in 1999 stepped down making Bill Belichick the new coach. Only Belichick quit 24 hours later to go to the Pats (and we know the rest of that story) and Bill Parcells didn't man up and resume the coaching reigns. Resigned one year later, leaving the Jets a wreck under Al Groh.

2003 - Joined the Cowboys, built them up, and then left in 2006 over arguments with Jerry Jones, leaving them a delayed wreck under Wade Philips.

2008 - Joined the Dolphins in a GM capacity and left in 2010 (wanted out as soon as the ownership change happened). Left the Dolphins a wreck.

That's the dark side of Bill Parcells.

DragonSoul
01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25. Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????Except BP screwed our Franchise, and others afterwards. Remember the lovely decade of the 90's lolWhy did he leave after the SB? I was to young then and didnt understand why he left.Health reasons and in the following year I believe he joined the Pats

bLuereverie
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
The comparisons in here between the two are simply coincidental/circumstantial events in their careers.

As for actually comparing both coaches, both can be brutes, but I don't recall Parcells having the affinity from his players like Coughlin does.

I don't mean that as a shot at Parcells, but rather just pointing out just how unsubstantiated Coughlin's stigma is outside of the locker room.

repeatchamps
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
The comparisons in here between the two are simply coincidental/circumstantial events in their careers. As for actually comparing both coaches, both can be brutes, but I don't recall Parcells having the affinity from his players like Coughlin does. I don't mean that as a shot at Parcells, but rather just pointing out just how unsubstantiated Coughlin's stigma is outside of the locker room.</P>

The intention wasnot to compare the type of coaches they are/were or how much their players liked them, it was to compare the two most successful eras in Giants history in the Super Bowl era and the amazing similarities that occurred as far as how everything has played out. If you don't see how remarkably similar it has been then I don't know what to tell you. Call it coincidence if you like but the bottom line is this is how it transpired and it is almost identical.</P>

hungrrrry
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
I think they are both tough coaches which I appreciate alot...drill sergeant type coaches are generally the most successful even though they might make alot of enemies. That is generally due to the lack of mental toughness and ambition from the player.</P>

I like the fact the Giants had them both inside the last 30 years...are there many teams with more than two hall of fame coaches inside of 30 years? Coaches that built the team into the powerhouses that they were/are on their own and not inheriting it from a potential hall of fame coach?</P>

NYtoSanDiego
01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
We had nothing but problems after BP left. Wish we did go Ron*Erhardt. Would have been better than Handley hands down.

i always wondered why George Young chose a RB coach over a OC to succeed parcells. i know belichick went to cleveland and erhardt i believe went to the steelers and lost in SB with o'donnell. he probably shose him cause handley was a yes man.

as much as i loved the tuna for whatever reason i don't think he would've done well if he were coaching this current giants team. yeah coughling was tough and he's soften up a bit over the years but bill never had a soft side for his current players. now for the 86 and 90 squad yes. its just hard to run through a wall for a guy when he's calling you nancy. i have the 2007 giants dvr and in the segment it showed tom taking the team bowling during camp and eating in and out days before the SB. and the way i see the team after a big win in the locker room, i can see players that would run through a wall if their coach them told them too.

miked1958
01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Parcells won super bow 21 and then 4 years later won super bowl 25. Coughlin won super bowl 42 and then 4 years later won super bowl 46?????</P>

<FONT size=2 face=Arial>There's more:</FONT></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells and Coughlin*got his team in the playoffs after*their respective*first*years which was a losing record*(i.e. in his second year as coach). Coughlin won the division, Parcells got a wildcard spot.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells and Coughlin got his team in the playoffs in their respective third years as coach. Parcells won the division, Coughlin got the wildcard spot.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells won the Super Bowl in his*fourth year as head coach w/ a bye and home field throughout*and Coughlin won the Super Bowl in his fourth year as head coach*but*won it as a wildcard road team.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells had a two year playoff drought after winning the Super Bowl but got back to the playoffs in the third year after the Super Bowl which included a division title and a*#2 Seed*only to lose in their first playoff game. Coughlin followed up the Super Bowl win with another playoff appearance the following year which included a division title*& a #1 Seed but also bowed out in their first*playoff game*and then had, like Parcells his*2*season playoff absence.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>In the 4th season after both Parcells' and Coughlin's first Super Bowl win, both coaches got the team a Division title and a return back to the Super Bowl. Parcells won and hopefully Coughlin does too. Coughlin had to win 3 games, Parcells only two but both had*1 playoff home game. Both beat the 49ers in SF to return back to the Super Bowl on a last second/sudden death FG set up by a fumble*that faced the same goalposts at Candlestick*which was kicked through by two different kickers (Bahr and Tynes)*that both wore #9.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Both coaches had one 9-7 season that lead to playoffs. Both coaches have had 2 10-6 seasons one that lead to the playoffs (2007, 1985) and one that didn't (2010, 1988). After both coaches' 10-6 non-playoff appearance, the following year*both coaches' teams won the division and hosted a playoff game.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">Differences of note</SPAN></U>[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">: <o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</FONT></FONT></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells notched 4 Division titles and one wildcard spot*in*8 seasons. Coughlin has notched*3 division titles and*2 wildcard spots*in*8 seasons. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Parcells' one 10-6 playoff appearance got him a division title and one home playoff game while Coughlin's 10-6 season that lead to the playoffs only got him the road wild card spot.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Both Coughlin's and Parcellsí non-playoff 10-6 season was ended because of a two-way 1st place tie-breaker with the Eagles*that went against them. However, <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">*</SPAN>Parcells' 10-6 playoff appearance and division title was achieved because of a three-way 1st place tiebreaker with the Eagles and Cowboys*that went in his favor while Coughlinís 10-6 playoff season was achieved free and clear without tie-breakers but again only got him a road wild card spot (obviously that didnít matter).<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1>Coughlin has only had one losing season, his first. Parcells had two, his first and the strike shortened season the year after his first Super Bowl win (6-9). However, Coughlin finished 8-8 in 2006 and 8-8 in 2009. Parcells never finished 8-8.</FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT size=1 face=Arial>Parcells only*won a Super Bowl as a #1 or #2 Seed. Coughlin has won one Super Bowl as a Wildcard team and hopefully he will again this year as a low seeded division champ. Parcells never even got to an NFC Title game without the 1 or 2 seed.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #0070c0; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><FONT size=1 face=Arial>Parcells got the 1 seed once as did Coughlin but Parcells also*got the 2 seed twice while Coughlin has never*clinched a 2 seed. Parcells also won a Super Bowl as the 1 seed while Coughlin was knocked out in*his first and only*playoff game as the 1 seed.</FONT></SPAN></P>
Wow that's uncanny. Hope he finishes the job and wins our 4th SB Title

loaded30
01-25-2012, 09:05 PM
We had nothing but problems after BP left. Wish we did go RonErhardt. Would have been better than Handley hands down.</P>

I agree with you completely. He deserved it more for sure. By the way my name is David too.[:)]</P>Nice to meet you David. David is short for Davidian, My name is Edwin.

Redeyejedi
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Bills were 13-3 Number 1 in offense in AFC
Pats 13-3 Number 1 in offense AFC

JJC7301
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM

I agree with you completely. He deserved it more for sure. By the way my name is David too.[:)]</P>

</P>

Wasn't Erhardt already off the team by the time Handley took the job? Didn't he become HC of Notre Dame after SB 25? The way I remember it, Handley was the last coach standing after Parcells retired and Handley didn't even want the HC job. I could be wrong.</P>

yoeddy
02-01-2012, 06:06 AM
We had nothing but problems after BP left. Wish we did go Ron*Erhardt. Would have been better than Handley hands down.

i always wondered why George Young chose a RB coach over a OC to succeed parcells. i know belichick went to cleveland and erhardt i believe went to the steelers and lost in SB with o'donnell. he probably shose him cause handley was a yes man.

as much as i loved the tuna for whatever reason i don't think he would've done well if he were coaching this current giants team. yeah coughling was tough and he's soften up a bit over the years but bill never had a soft side for his current players. now for the 86 and 90 squad yes. its just hard to run through a wall for a guy when he's calling you nancy. i have the 2007 giants dvr and in the segment it showed tom taking the team bowling during camp and eating in and out days before the SB. and the way i see the team after a big win in the locker room, i can see players that would run through a wall if their coach them told them too.

Parcells' reputation was as a master motivator...that guys would run through walls for him. LT was one of many players who was publicly upset that he left after the 1990 season....

foosball
02-01-2012, 06:53 AM
He left because he had a heart attack. My sisters ex was one of his nurses. Don't give me that garbage.