PDA

View Full Version : Is Manningham gone next year?

dayeh33
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure his contract is up after the super bowl... With the emergence of victor cruz, is he going to resign with us?

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I think he will get paid pretty well in the offseason.... Better paid than the giants can afford.

CDN_G-FAN
01-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I think he will get paid pretty well in the offseason.... Better paid than the giants can afford.</P>

i would agree with that.</P>

i'm not a huge manningham fan. barring a Tyree moment, i don't seem him as a giant.</P>

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't think that we'll be able to afford him. He's a # 2 WR on most other teams, and possibly even a # 1 on some others. If I were the Jets, I'd be looking to bring him in.</P>

I'd love to keep him, but I just can't see it happening. I'd focus on Nicks and Cruz for the long term because I think they're more consistent. Which means that we mean need to draft another WR this year...or possibly give SS another shot at a really low rate.</P>

RoanokeFan
01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Probably. The need to sign Nicks and Cruz to long term deals if they can

Eli2Nicks612
01-25-2012, 12:34 PM
If the Giants are able to resign him cheap, then they'll keep him. But with many players like Nicks, Cruz, and JPP needing to get resigned soon we shouldn't pay a lot for a third receiver.

CDN_G-FAN
01-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Probably. The need to sign Nicks and Cruz to long term deals if they can
</P>

Cruz is signed through next year, and given the way they handled smith (his last year, the year after he broke receiving records, he was paid $700k) i don't know if they'll top him up early.</P>

i don't know when Nicks contract is up.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Roy Williams be a good option? He's a FA

FDNY Fitzy
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
If they an't afford him they better get someone else... Nicks gets injured constantly.

I'd like to keep the trio together but I bet Mario wants to move to a bigger role. Who knows though.

dezzzR
01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I really hope not. Hes one of the most under rated receivers in the league.

bflo23
01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
If the Giants win the Super Bowl, everybody on the team has their prices raised. It always happens. As good as he is, I don't think their #3 WR is one of their "must keep" players. He is gonna want a much bigger raise than his current $555K salary he is making now. Giants are gonna have a lot of their star players who will demand more money soon so that is something to think about.

It should be an interesting offseason.

GmenFan1980
01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
keep the 3 three amigos :( lol

gumby742
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
keep the 3 three amigos :( lol</P>

Quick! Name the 3 Amigos from the Denver Broncos back in the day!</P>

Vance Johnson, Ricky Natiel, and .....hmmm</P>

bflo23
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
If they an't afford him they better get someone else... Nicks gets injured constantly.

I'd like to keep the trio together but I bet Mario wants to move to a bigger role. Who knows though.

Injured constantly? He missed 6 games in 48 games (3 seasons). Only missed 1 game this season. I am not worried about his health.

Kruunch
01-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I think he will get paid pretty well in the offseason.... Better paid than the giants can afford.

This.

I doubt the Giants pony up the money to keep him.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Doubt they'll be able to keep him, that's what happens when you have a legit #2 WR playing as your third WR. And you know that some team is going to remember the numbers he put up in 2009 &amp; 2010 pay him as such. And we wont be able to match it. </P>

It sucks, but that's why you have guys like Jerrigan and Barden. Hopefully one of them can step in. Also a chance we get SS12 back, but not sure how it would play out as both he and Cruz seem to do their best work in the slot. </P>

burier
01-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Good chance he's gone especially with the Agent he just hired but...

We don't know him personally and there's a couple things that may affect how this turns out.

The Giants will be defending Superbowl champions. Its just natural to want to go defend your title.

The Quarterback is building a legend. Its just natural to want to be apart of that.

He saw what happened to Kevin Boss, Steve Smith and Plaxico Burress who all had an opportunity to play with Eli and instead they took the money and got shafted on the glory.

So in the end we aren't going to be able to afford to pay him what he's likely worth on the open market but if Manningham's competetive spirit is stronger than his entrepreneurial spirt he could take less money and come on back.

buddy33
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
He will probably be gone and it's to bad. I hope JJ turns into another weapon for Eli.

bLuereverie
01-25-2012, 01:09 PM
As long as he stays out of the NFC East. He'll be a solid #2 elsewhere.

RonJon
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I hope they keep him. He and Nicks and Cruz are an unstoppable trifecta

yoeddy
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure his contract is up after the super bowl... With the emergence of victor cruz, is he going to resign with us?

Manningham's agent is Drew Rosenhaus, so Rosenhaus will definitely be going for top-dollar contracts. Much will depend on how much Manningham listens to him. The good news is that Rosenhaus also represents a lot of other Giants players and has a good relationship with the Giants FO...including Bradshaw, Rolle, Devin Thomas, and a few others...so hopefully they can work something out.

Cruz is represented by some tiny agency in Massachusetts...will hopefully not go too crazy trying to break the bank...

lawl
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Like manningham alot, but this is one of the reasons why we drafted jj. Another body will probably be brought in to compete with jj and Barden for the #3 job.

It'll be barden's last chance and jj's first real chance. Atleast that how it seems at the moment.

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM

nope, we won't have the cap - unless u'd rather sign him over Cruz

but i dont think anybody would really do that

yoeddy
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Like manningham alot, but this is one of the reasons why we drafted jj. Another body will probably be brought in to compete with jj and Barden for the #3 job.

It'll be barden's last chance and jj's first real chance. Atleast that how it seems at the moment.

I agree about Barden, but I thought JJ was brought in to help the return game and special teams....more about replacing Hixon than Manningham...

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

i disagree..

JJ was brought in to fill the slot void. Nobody saw Cruz emerging the way he did

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I still think they can bring back steve smith for relatively little money. Then let Cruz play outside where he is best.

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I still think they can bring back steve smith for relatively little money. Then let Cruz play outside where he is best.

How bout Plax?

[6]

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 01:23 PM

I agree about Barden, but I thought JJ was brought in to help the return game and special teams....more about replacing Hixon than Manningham...

damn forgot about Hix

i guess hes done huh?

yoeddy
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM

damn forgot about Hix

i guess hes done huh?

Yeah...between JJ, Thomas, Ware, Ross, Blackmon, and Scott, there are a lot of options for KR/PR...

lawl
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Hixon was our #3 WR before he got hurt again. [;)]

They spent a 3rd rd pick on the kid. They want him on the field for more than just special teams

RagTime Blue
01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think the fact that we didn't DRAFT Cruz means that when he's a FA, we get zero compensation if he leaves. With #82, we took him in the 3rd round, so with the dollars he'll probably fetch, we'll likely get a 3rd for him.

It'a a no-brainer, lock-up Cruz. Reese will offer Mario what he's worth to this team, but he's worth much more to other teams, I think.

Also, I predict a big training camp for Ramses Barden next year. Everyone knew it would take him a while to get accimated to NFL speed. He's just now starting to break through behind some pretty darn good competition.

bflo23
01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell but I think you are. I know Smith injured his knee and had surgery on it in 2010 and missed lot of games. In 2011, he is once again injured and didn't do anything this year as he only played 9 games.... 124 receiving yards in 9 games! I like Steve Smith for what he has done for the Giants especially in the SB but not now with his injury history.

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think the fact that we didn't DRAFT Cruz means that when he's a FA, we get zero compensation if he leaves.* With #82, we took him in the 3rd round, so with the dollars he'll probably fetch, we'll likely get a 3rd for him.

thats not how it works.

Where they were drafted only applies when the player is a RFA and you tag them.

If they are UFA then you get a comp pick the next season that relates to how big the contract was and playing time and stuff like that, nothing to do with where they were drafted.

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I like Steve Smith for what he has done for the Giants especially in the SB but not now with his injury history.

thats why i said for little money. the eagles rushed him back on the field, there is little doubt of that. He was also a horrible fit for their offense.

pj18
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
It's tough to pay two receivers, let alone three, and I think they'd be
crazy to not pay Cruz and Nicks. However, Manningham had a big year last
year and was plagued with injuries this year but has a TD in each
playoff game. He's been making all the necessary catches in the
playoffs. He deserves a contract, but I wonder how big of one?

And as stated, it depends on his play in the Super Bowl and if they win.

RagTime Blue
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think the fact that we didn't DRAFT Cruz means that when he's a FA, we get zero compensation if he leaves. With #82, we took him in the 3rd round, so with the dollars he'll probably fetch, we'll likely get a 3rd for him.

thats not how it works.

Where they were drafted only applies when the player is a RFA and you tag them.

If they are UFA then you get a comp pick the next season that relates to how big the contract was and playing time and stuff like that, nothing to do with where they were drafted.

It used to be that most players are RFA at some point in their careers. Is that out the window now with the new CBA?

I thought RFA was a pretty good system for keeping continuity among teams while still being reasonably fair to players.

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
It used to be that most players are RFA at some point in their careers.* Is that out the window now with the new CBA?*

I thought RFA was a pretty good system for keeping continuity among teams while still being reasonably fair to players.

the new CBA screwed it up this and last season. Manningham is a UFA, not restricted. Next year the normal RFA for guys drafted 2nd round and later will be back.

Nicks will be a UFA, Cruz RFA.

BigBlue1971
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Manningham may not be a big money guy and maybe he looks at the lineup and says, i wanna stay here to see what we can do for the next 4-5 years.</P>

if hes looking for big money, then hes gone somewhere else imo. i dont know if he can command #1 money but he could be a hellva #2 on the majority of teams. </P>

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Manningham may not be a big money guy and maybe he looks at the lineup and says, i wanna stay here to see what we can do for the next 4-5 years.</p>

if hes looking for big money, then hes gone somewhere else imo. i dont know if he can command #1 money but he could be a hellva #2 on the majority of teams. </p>

Manningham is going to be a low #1 or high #2 contract somewhere...

only thing that can hurt him is that this is probably the best FA WR class in a LOOONNNG time

bLuereverie
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM

only thing that can hurt him is that this is probably the best FA WR class in a LOOONNNG time

I highly doubt he'll get #1 WR money. But I am sure he will be able to get better #2 money on an already winning team as the NFL is an arms race. I can see him lined up across AJ Green in his home state.

Steve Smith or Plax would not surprise me either with the former being more likely.

BigBlue1971
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Manningham may not be a big money guy and maybe he looks at the lineup and says, i wanna stay here to see what we can do for the next 4-5 years.</P>

if hes looking for big money, then hes gone somewhere else imo. i dont know if he can command #1 money but he could be a hellva #2 on the majority of teams. </P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>only thing that can hurt him is that this is probably the best FA WR class in a LOOONNNG time
</FONT></P>

</P>

this could be a Giants advantage in keeping Manningham. </P>

again if hes a systems guy and thinks about what he and his Giants mates can potentially achieve in the future, i wouldnt be surprised at all if he stays forconsiderable less money.</P>

after the superbowl we'll be able to see which direction he wants to go.</P>

bflo23
01-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Very good point about the free agent class and it could definitely mean higher chance that Giants keep him. 2012 FA class (WR):

1. Reggie Wayne
2. Wes Welker
3. Vincent Jackson
4. DeSean Jackson
5. Dwayne Bowe
6. Marques Colston
7. Steve Johnson
8. Brandon Llyod
9. Robert Meachem
10. Mario Manningham
11. Mike Wallace

gmen0820
01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
He won't average more then 4 million a year.

GiantsYanks
01-25-2012, 02:16 PM
keep the 3 three amigos :( lol

I hope so too! I love Rio.. he does have his knucklehead moments from time to time but you can see how important it is to our offense to have a solid #3 receiver. Teams are turning their attention to Cruz and Nicks which has had Rio with a lot of one on one match ups. 3 TDs in three straight playoff games.

Raptor22
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
50/50

The Giants may not be able to afford to pay him what other teams (Broncos, Rams, 9ers, Bears) would, as well, he'd be a top or the top receiver on any of those teams.

Then again, he might just love the Giants and be willing to take less money and stay with what he knows.

Either way, I'm not worried. I think the guys behind him would be perfectly able to step up (ie: Barden, JJ12, Thomas)

myles2424
01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Hopefully he can be brought back.....having 3 receiving threats is a must nowadays.....with nicks,Cruz,& h.a.m.....fix the Oline/running game.....& add a legit threat at TE to go along with Ballard...we could have a even better offense in 2012

swordfish
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
He is just as important to our team as Cruz and Nicks he has been clutch all postseason. Getting us crucial first downs constantly, and how can you all forget the great catch for the winning TD vs SF, plus the guy has had a knee problem pretty much all year, it seems like most of you in here have a very short memory, typical bandwagon Giants fans.

MikeIsaGiant
01-25-2012, 03:02 PM
He is just as important to our team as Cruz and Nicks he has been clutch all postseason. Getting us crucial first downs constantly, and how can you all forget the great catch for the winning TD vs SF, plus the guy has had a knee problem pretty much all year, it seems like most of you in here have a very short memory, typical bandwagon Giants fans.

Would you pay him a ton ****load of money that we can't afford is the real question, and over hakeem nicks and cruz?

TrueBlue@NYC
01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Very good point about the free agent class and it could definitely mean higher chance that Giants keep him. 2012 FA class (WR):

1. Reggie Wayne
2. Wes Welker
3. Vincent Jackson
4. DeSean Jackson
5. Dwayne Bowe
6. Marques Colston
7. Steve Johnson
8. Brandon Llyod
9. Robert Meachem
10. Mario Manningham
11. Mike Wallace
</P>

The other 10 guys drying up the market would be the only way Rio returns here, and would probably only do so for a short contract (2/yrs) so that he'd have another shot at hitting the FA market while still in his prime. </P>

Remember, the contract he recieves after this year IS his money maker, he'll not likely get anything higher later in his career. Players know this, and just as importantly their agents know this as well. It's nice to think that we'd get a home team discount, but to think that he'd come here for peanuts just b/c we may continue winning doesn't make sense for his future. </P>

Like I said, our only hope is that he signs a 1 or 2 yr deal so that he can hit the market again when he's not up against such stiff competition and he has a higher chance of drawing top dollar. </P>

nygsb42champs
01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I think it comes down to does he like his role here. If he does I think he would come back at a resonable price.