PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs to redeem himself in SB 46

AngryAZN
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I've appreciated the utility of a powerback since the days of Rodney Hampton and Ottis Anderson and am looking for Jacobs to redeem himself during SB 46.

Mercury
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Then someone better block Wilfork.

TroyArcher
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I think he will. He is very inconsistent but I think he has be up for the SB. Man if he had the desire of Bradshaw he would be an absolute monster.

buddy33
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM

I hope Baas has his best game as a Giant.

GameTime
01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Hope Jacobs doesnt say a freakin word about what he's goign to do or anything like that.</P>

He can say all he wants about the team and being prepared etc. Dont tell me what you are going to do. Just do it. </P>

Would like to see thoses side line passes he caught in the begining of the season again. Would be a good match up on the outside for he and or Hynoski. Jacobs is more fluid then Hyno but he has to catch it....</P>

</P>

</P>

AngryAZN
01-25-2012, 01:01 PM

I hope Baas has his best game as a Giant.

I'm going to defer judgment on Baas and the rest of the offensive line. Warren Sapp made a good point that the impact of poor footing will affect the guys moving backwards more so than the guys moving forward. So the mis-steps in SF alone aren't a good measure of their ability.

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
BJ had a good game against Atlanta, but if one of our RBs is going to impact this game, I really think it's going to be AB. Regardless, the o-line has got open up some lanes which they have not been great at.

DragonSoul
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
lmao.

miked1958
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
</P>

Wait wasnt Wilfork the one the Bradshaw dragged and carried on one of the more awesome runs in that game... #97 will forever be remembered for getting pushed, dragged and carried by a guy half his size.</P>

Guess i am wrong 75 is wilfork</P>

galaxy10
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
lmao.

I hope Gilbride makes the right adjustments to account for Willfork. He is a beast.

giantpride84
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM
</p>

Wait wasnt Wilfork the one the Bradshaw dragged and carried on one of the more awesome runs in that game... #97 will forever be remembered for getting pushed, dragged and carried by a guy half his size</p>wilfork is #75 it wasnt him just watched it yesterday forget the guys name (great play)

gmen0820
01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
</p>

Wait wasnt Wilfork the one the Bradshaw dragged and carried on one of the more awesome runs in that game... #97 will forever be remembered for getting pushed, dragged and carried by a guy half his size</p>wilfork is #75 it wasnt him just watched it yesterday forget the guys name (great play)
Pretty sure Bradshaw was running through #75 Wilfork, but perhaps it was Ty Warren or Jarvis Green.

gmen0820
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Ty Warren everyone.

miked1958
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
</P>

Wait wasnt Wilfork the one the Bradshaw dragged and carried on one of the more awesome runs in that game... #97 will forever be remembered for getting pushed, dragged and carried by a guy half his size</P>

wilfork is #75 it wasnt him just watched it yesterday forget the guys name (great play)
Pretty sure Bradshaw was running through #75 Wilfork, but perhaps it was Ty Warren or Jarvis Green.</P>

Now that u mention it... wasnt ty warren number 94 back then and green 97? not remembering which one it was now</P>

gmen0820
01-25-2012, 01:32 PM
</P>

Wait wasnt Wilfork the one the Bradshaw dragged and carried on one of the more awesome runs in that game... #97 will forever be remembered for getting pushed, dragged and carried by a guy half his size</P>

wilfork is #75 it wasnt him just watched it yesterday forget the guys name (great play)
Pretty sure Bradshaw was running through #75 Wilfork, but perhaps it was Ty Warren or Jarvis Green.</P>

Now that u mention it... wasnt ty warren number 94 back then and green 97? not remembering which one it was now</P>Yup it was Ty Warren.

And I had been thinking it was Wilfork all these years lol

bflo23
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I've appreciated the utility of a powerback since the days of Rodney Hampton and Ottis Anderson and am looking for Jacobs to redeem himself during SB 46.

Rodney Hampton and Ottis Anderson aren't even at half the level that Jacobs career. Look at the stats and see for yourself. Jacobs is way more of a powerback. How soon do people forget that Jacobs has a 4.5 career avg per rush, 15 rushing TDs in 1 season, Giants all time record for rushing TDs and had 5.6 yards rushing avg just last season.

Jacobs is getting such a bad rap.

Hooligans
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Rodney Hampton and Ottis Anderson were great power backs.....but to mention Brandon Jacobs with those two is an insult to Anderson and Hampton. Jacobs is soft, the tip-toe bandit and softer than marshmallow. Jacobs is gone after this season and will probably not be picked up by any other team. I've seen place kickers that are tougher and certainly harder runners than Jacobs......the Suepr Bowl WILL be Jacob's last game as a Giant and as a NFL player.

NYG 5
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Giants need to move the ball laterally early on and make wilfork run and chase. A lot of screens and counters, feed off any early aggression. I dont think Jacobs should get many looks until Bradshaw has a few long, tackle breaking runs.

Actually i think they should go no huddle for a little while, to tire the defense and catch them in substitutions.

And Jacobs isnt OJ or Rodney. They were pure power runners. Jacobs really was more of a speed guy. Remember how fast he was? He used his speed and weight to get through arm tackles. He's putrid at breaking legit tackles and staying on his feet. Bettis was a power back, Bradshaw is a power back, Stephen Davis was a power back. Jacobs likes to cutback and use speed. At one point he was faster than Tiki Barber

Hooligans
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
If the Giants were smart they would make Jacobs inactive for the Super Bowl, instead of inevitably sticking him in on a 4th and inches, only to watch him fall short AGAIN! Bradshaw at 1/2 the size of Jacobs is the much tougher RB. If they want to run a bigger back, they should just give the ball to the fullback, Henry Hynoski or RB DJ Ware....giving the ball to Jacobs is like throwing an incomplete pass.

miked1958
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
You are right. It was DT #94 Ty Warren that AB moved out and carried to that first down in the SB.. Here....</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDhBR1-a5k</P>

BigBlue D
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I hope he realizes that this win would put him in an even more exclusive club, and that he runs like he used to (before Tiki got in his head). One shot, one chance,<font size="4"> ALL IN!!</font>

Dwinsballgames
01-25-2012, 02:13 PM
If the Giants were smart they would make Jacobs inactive for the Super Bowl, instead of inevitably sticking him in on a 4th and inches, only to watch him fall short AGAIN! Bradshaw at 1/2 the size of Jacobs is the much tougher RB. If they want to run a bigger back, they should just give the ball to the fullback, Henry Hynoski or RB DJ Ware....giving the ball to Jacobs is like throwing an incomplete pass.</P>

</P>

This is the stupidest thing I have read all day. </P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>Sure, they are going to make BJ inactive and hand the ball to Hynoski.</FONT> Refresh my memory how many carries did Henry have all year??</P>

</P>

Hooligans
01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
If the Giants were smart they would make Jacobs inactive for the Super Bowl, instead of inevitably sticking him in on a 4th and inches, only to watch him fall short AGAIN! Bradshaw at 1/2 the size of Jacobs is the much tougher RB. If they want to run a bigger back, they should just give the ball to the fullback, Henry Hynoski or RB DJ Ware....giving the ball to Jacobs is like throwing an incomplete pass.</P>

*</P>

This is the stupidest thing I have read all day.* </P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>Sure, they are going to make BJ inactive and hand the ball to Hynoski.</FONT>* Refresh my memory how many carries did Henry have all year??</P>

*</P>

Why not give the ball to Hynoski-he couldn't do any worse on short yardage than Jacobs. Jacobs makes Ron Dayne look like a tough runner.

Dwinsballgames
01-25-2012, 02:17 PM

</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>Sure, they are going to make BJ inactive and hand the ball to Hynoski.</FONT> Refresh my memory how many carries did Henry have all year??</P>

</P>

Why not give the ball to Hynoski-he couldn't do any worse on short yardage than Jacobs. Jacobs makes Ron Dayne look like a tough runner.</P>

</P>

someeople are just not happy unless thay have someone to rag on. Why all the hate for Brandon? did he steal your girlfriend or something?</P>

GameTime
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM

</P>

</P>

Why not give the ball to Hynoski-he couldn't do any worse on short yardage than Jacobs. Jacobs makes Ron Dayne look like a tough runner.</P>

I kind of understand your displeasure with Jacobs but to say he should be inactive is way over reacting. Its also a misunderstanding that he is "soft". He is not soft....he isjust is not able to get his pad level low enough. The guy is too damn tall for a running back. There is a reason why RBs are not all 6'5" and 260. Its not a good physique for an RB....There have been a few exceptions but thats why they are "exceptions".</P>

Hooligans
01-25-2012, 02:30 PM

*</P>

This is the stupidest thing I have read all day.* </P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>Sure, they are going to make BJ inactive and hand the ball to Hynoski.</FONT>* Refresh my memory how many carries did Henry have all year??</P>

*</P>

I kind of understand your displeasure with Jacobs but to say he should be inactive is way over reacting. Its also a misunderstanding that he is "soft". He is not soft....he is*just is not able to get his pad level low enough. The guy is too damn tall for a running back. There is a reason why RBs are not all 6'5" and 260. Its not a good physique for an RB....There have been a few exceptions but thats why they are "exceptions".</P>

I understand that and know Jacobs will be active for the Super Bowl.....but if the Giants did make Jacobs inactive for the game, I would be 100% behind them. DJ Ware and Hynoski can easily give the Giants the same production Jacobs could.

GameTime
01-25-2012, 02:36 PM

</P>

</P>

I kind of understand your displeasure with Jacobs but to say he should be inactive is way over reacting. Its also a misunderstanding that he is "soft". He is not soft....he isjust is not able to get his pad level low enough. The guy is too damn tall for a running back. There is a reason why RBs are not all 6'5" and 260. Its not a good physique for an RB....There have been a few exceptions but thats why they are "exceptions".</P>

I understand that and know Jacobs will be active for the Super Bowl.....but if the Giants did make Jacobs inactive for the game, I would be 100% behind them. DJ Ware and Hynoski can easily give the Giants the same production Jacobs could.</P>

He brings a lot of fire to the team whether he is playing or not or whether he is doing well or not. Also go count how many passes Eli has completed because he picks up the blitz. Bradshaw and Jacobs are the best at that on the team. Besides Hynoski and Ware will be active anyway. Scott may not be. No loss there.</P>

Eli says he brings fire to the offense....if Eli says it then its ok by me......:)</P>

Burgermiesta
01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
That would be awsome if he could step up and be the "monster" that he is capable of playing like. If that occurred at the SB boy could we control the clock on those Patsies....</P>

AngryAZN
01-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Rodney Hampton and Ottis Anderson aren't even at half the level that Jacobs career. Look at the stats and see for yourself. Jacobs is way more of a powerback. How soon do people forget that Jacobs has a 4.5 career avg per rush, 15 rushing TDs in 1 season, Giants all time record for rushing TDs and had 5.6 yards rushing avg just last season.

Jacobs is getting such a bad rap.

The rbs I mentioned were part of ball control power running offenses. Something that doesn't really exist today. The idea that a team would throw 60+ times would of been crazy in Hamptons time.

You can't compare apples and oranges.

A true powerback does more than pickup yards, They intimidate, exhaust, and demoralize defenses.

"I know where I'm going and you know where I'm going, and you CANNOT stop me!"

NYG 5
01-25-2012, 03:24 PM
The thing i dont understand about BJ is that he never uses the stiff arm. If its one thing he will have over every defensive player, it would be length. When running laterally, he should be stiff arming everybody like children, or if they try and go low, do a little hurdle/scissor kick. Bradshaw does it more often than him, its ******ed.

Also, the giants need to stop using him on short yardage. He's too big to get through a lane if the defense submarines the line. Although they need to toss him the ball more, he's a surprisingly good receiver.

bflo23
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
The rbs I mentioned were part of ball control power running offenses. Something that doesn't really exist today. The idea that a team would throw 60+ times would of been crazy in Hamptons time.

A true powerback does more than pickup yards, They intimidate, exhaust, and demoralize defenses.

Eli had to throw 58 times because the O-line has been horrible for the running game all year and because the 49ers rush defense is #1 ranked. Eli is throwing more often simply because the O-line has failed BOTH JACOBS AND BRADSHAW and passing is the Giants strength. When the Giants have Elite Eli and 3 great receivers, it would make sense to pass more often.

In 2010, the Giants were #6 ranked rushing team and Jacobs was getting 5.6 yards per carry. Was he soft in 2010 with that average and 9 TDs? In 2011, the struggles of Bradshaw and Jacobs is due to the o-line inability to create holes.

Apples and Oranges? Jacobs dominates Hampton and Ottis Anderson in stats. It isn't even close. The stats aren't lying. You don't score 15 TDs in a single season or break the all time Giants TD rushing record being "soft". Give him the line that created those holes in 2010 and he would be getting monster yardage like 5.6 yards again. Plus, he is 30 years old and we don't see many 30 year old RBs around. Bad offensive line and 30 years old..... People should give him a break.

Meanhothead
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm going to repeat myself from that other bad Brandon thread earlier in this week.

Our Clydesdale RB wasn't going to be successful in the mud against the #1 run defense in the league. It isn't in his skill set.

It's why Bradshaw got the start and was out there more. Brandon was giving Ahmad a breathier. They weren't going 50/50 like the usually do.

But on the turf in Indy . . . Brandon will be mowing people over.

He needs the fast track to be successful.

He doesn't need to redeem himself. He is averaging 5.0 yards during the playoffs.

NYG 5
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh come on, Hampton carried the Giants for almost a decade, with no receiver's to back off the defense, and eventually not much of an offensive line. Really, the only other legit offensive player was Calloway, slow, and Cross, slow.

Jacobs is/was good, but to say he was better than Rodney Hampton, thats lunacy.

AngryAZN
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
*The rbs I mentioned were part of ball control power running offenses. Something that doesn't really exist today. The idea that a team would throw 60+ times would of been crazy in Hamptons time.

Eli had to throw 58 times because the O-line has been horrible for the running game all year and because the 49ers rush defense is #1 ranked. Eli is throwing more often simply because the O-line has failed BOTH JACOBS AND BRADSHAW and passing is the Giants strength. When the Giants have Elite Eli and 3 great receivers, it would make sense to pass more often.

In 2010, the Giants were #6 ranked rushing team and Jacobs was getting 5.6 yards per carry. Was he soft in 2010 with that average and 9 TDs? In 2011, the struggles of Bradshaw and Jacobs is due to the o-line inability to create holes.

Apples and Oranges? Jacobs dominates Hampton and Ottis Anderson in stats. It isn't even close. The stats aren't lying. You don't score 15 TDs in a single season or break the all time Giants TD rushing record being "soft". Give him the line that created those holes in 2010 and he would be getting monster yardage like 5.6 yards again. Plus, he is 30 years old and we don't see many 30 year old RBs around. Bad offensive line and 30 years old..... People should give him a break.

I'm not able to look at the stats at this moment, so I'll accept that you've done so accurately. And if your conclusion is that BJ is a more productive RB statistically, then this is one of those instances where the stats are not accurately reflecting the reality.

The Giants were a power running team built around Rodney Hampton. His impact and effectiveness was far great then BJ who is playing in a passing offense.

BlueSanta
01-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Jacobs doesnt need to redeem himself. He has been a valuable member of this franchise and will always be a member of the family.

He is just past his prime. It happens to everyone and people do not need to "redeem themselves" for getting old and beaten up.

BJ could retire today and he would be a guy all Giants fans should remember fondly. No redemtion necessary.

bflo23
01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh come on, Hampton carried the Giants for almost a decade, with no receiver's to back off the defense, and eventually not much of an offensive line. Really, the only other legit offensive player was Calloway, slow, and Cross, slow.

Jacobs is/was good, but to say he was better than Rodney Hampton, thats lunacy.

Hampton carried the Giants? To what? The Giants were only over .500 just twice since he was the full time starter. 8 years- Hampton 6,897 yards, 49 TDs, 3.8 yards per rush.

7 years- (splitting carries)- Jacobs 4,489 yards, 56 TDs, 4.5 yards per rush

So more TDs and more yardage per rush is a bad thing?! And add 5 more playoff TDs and possibly 2 championships! If we aren't looking at yardage, TDs and meaningful playoff games, what are we looking at?

The best Giants RB is easily Tiki Barber (nearly 11,000 rushing yards, 55 rush TDs, 4.7 yards per rush, 586 receptions).... Jacobs is #2 best RB.... Hampton is #3..... Bradshaw is still young and could move up on the list.

bflo23
01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Jacobs doesnt need to redeem himself. He has been a valuable member of this franchise and will always be a member of the family.

He is just past his prime. It happens to everyone and people do not need to "redeem themselves" for getting old and beaten up.

BJ could retire today and he would be a guy all Giants fans should remember fondly. No redemtion necessary.

Exactly... People expect 30 year old RBs to run like they were in mid 20s. And some people expect great production from a terrible 2011 giant o-line that failed both Bradshaw and Jacobs. Tiki Barber retired when he was only 31 years old and had 1,662 rushing yards his last year. RBs don't last that long when they hit 30 years old. People need to give Jacobs a break especially when he is 30 years old and has a terrible blocking o-line.

C1010
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Its really the O line that really needs to be redeemed. Granted, Jacobs needs to run with a little more fire and not fall the moment someone touches him but I just want the O line to give good run and pass protection.

bubblesmcgee
01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
God the hatred on Jacobs is getting so sad. If the 2009 season never happened (you know the one he played on a torn meniscus) peoples perception would be much different. In 2010 he was an absolute monster after the colts game, and in 2011 he outplayed bradshaw.

No RB was good for the giants this year mainly bc of offensive line play being as pitiful run blocking as it was. Jacobs needs a hole more so than most other RBs because hes gigantic. He cant squeeze through little holes and he needs a couple extra steps to get up to speed where he can run through someone. It still happens occasionally once the guy gets to the second level hes a terror on DBs.

Hes not as young as he once was but he still might have the most fire in his heart of anyone on this team. Hes been a great giant and the people ragging on him need to stop.

bubblesmcgee
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
also does anyone else think he has a higher top end speed than bradshaw? No doubt bradshaw is quicker but it seems like he gets chased down from behind more than brandon does

bflo23
01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Brandon Jacobs has Giants all time rushing record, has 4.5 yards per rush in his career and could possibly help the Giants to 2 championships.

Yet, he is treated like he is Ron Dayne by some.