PDA

View Full Version : PFW - NFL: GIANTS DID NOT HIT WILLIAMS ILLEGALLY

RoanokeFan
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
NFL: GIANTS DID NOT HIT WILLIAMS ILLEGALLY (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/nfl-ny-players-didnt-hit-williams-illegally)

"The NFL on Tuesday said there were no illegal hits by the Super Bowl-bound
Giants on 49ers return man Kyle Williams during the NFC championship game.

Williams fumbled a punt in overtime of San Francisco's 20-17 loss Sunday, and
the misplay set up Lawrence Tynes' winning field goal. Afterward, New York's
Jacquian Williams and Devin Thomas indicated they were trying to hit Williams
given his history of concussions, including the most recent one sustained Dec.
24 at Seattle that kept him out of the regular-season finale at St. Louis.</p>

League spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email that the Giants did nothing
against the rules.</p>

"Players are held accountable for their actions on the field. There were no
illegal hits to the head or neck area against Kyle Williams on Sunday," Aiello
said. "There was no conduct by the Giants of any kind that would suggest an
effort to injure Kyle Williams in any way."</p>

Williams' agent, Ken Sarnoff, said the second-year pro is aware of the
Giants' postgame comments but is done speaking publicly and is ready to move
forward toward the 2012 season. The 49ers had no comment Tuesday.</p>

Jacquian Williams forced Kyle Williams' second fumble of the game. The
fill-in return man was playing in place of injured regular Ted Ginn Jr.</p>

"The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest
thing, was to take him outta the game," Jacquian Williams told reporters at
Candlestick Park.</p>

Thomas recovered both fumbles, including one in the fourth quarter that went
under review to reveal the ball glanced off Williams' right knee. Williams still
insists the ball didn't hit him.</p>

"He's had a lot of concussions," Thomas told the Newark Star-Ledger.
"We were just like, 'We gotta put a hit on that guy.'"</p>

Gianthunter
01-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Never saw anything that said they did.

RoanokeFan
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
There have been a number of "suggestions" floating out in space about it. Just media hype mostly

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
There have been a number of "suggestions" floating out in space about it. Just media hype mostly
</P>

I read some of the articles -- they were just malicious against the Giants. There was no way to take what the Giants players said in their inteviews and say that they were talking about head-hunting, which was one of the false claims. It was total nonsense looking to smear this team. Total crap.</P>

Kruunch
01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
The 49ers are having a REALLY tough time of letting go of this.

I guess I can't blame them being such a close game but jeez ... talk about grasping at straws.

How about not letting the guy who already muffed one punt and almost another in the same game, be back there in OT?

nygpolishpunk
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I also think that their comments are being taken out of context. I'd love to read the full text of what they said. I wouldn't be surprised if it said something more along the lines of:

"We wanted to get a hit on that guy, he's had concussions in the past, and if he takes a big hit he might think twice about trying to get that long return. We'd effectively take him out of the game. Make their return game non existent."

Football is as much a mental game as it is physical and all the players on the field know it. Intimidation in any form takes a huge part.

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
early in the game Sash got a nice hit on him...

it wasn't illegal though...

the game plan was to bring the wood to this guy because he can break. Thats football

DragonSoul
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
NFL:* GIANTS DID* NOT HIT WILLIAMS ILLEGALLY (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/nfl-ny-players-didnt-hit-williams-illegally)

against the rules.</p>

Candlestick Park.</p>

under review to reveal the ball glanced off Williams' right knee. Williams still

"We were just like, 'We gotta put a hit on that guy.'"</p>As typical fashion the Media took it out of context.

They knew he had concussions in the past. So they felt if they hit him hard he would have a chance to drop/fumble the ball, due to the issue he has had in the past.

They did not say they were going out there to hit him hard to cause an injury or another concussion. And as it was mentioned by a few , there were no Illegal hits, or attempts at it.

They wanted to hit him hard, and see if he would be affected by the previous issue, not cause it. Btw do they not do that in all games? They were aware of it, thats about the only difference.

MattMeyerBud
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
I also think that their comments are being taken out of context. I'd love to read the full text of what they said. I wouldn't be surprised if it said something more along the lines of:

"We wanted to get a hit on that guy, he's had concussions in the past, and if he takes a big hit he might think twice about trying to get that long return. We'd effectively take him out of the game. Make their return game non existent."

Football is as much a mental game as it is physical and all the players on the field know it. Intimidation in any form takes a huge part.

i got ur sig auto'd on my wall... my favorite auto of all time

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM

</P>

I'm telling you -- the writer of the New Yorker article that started all of this had an agenda there. It was more of an anti-concusion crusade, which I'm all for, but he or she really took things out of context and made it sound like the Giants were drooling with delight over hoping to cause a concussion.</P>

And there was an idiot (Alex something-or-other) from Bleacher Reports who wrote an article based on the New Yorker article saying that they were "head-hunting." The New Yorker didn't even go that far. I read the Bleacher columnist's bio, and he was a Pats fan. I honestly believe that he was looking to prep the battlefield hoping that the league would take notice of this fake story and shine an extra (and unfair) light onto the Giants.</P>

It was absolutely malicious and both writers should apologize to J. Williams and the Giants. Other mags / papers quoted J. Williams as well, but they in no way made it sound like he was trying to do anything unfair, illegal, or dangerous.</P>

JJC7301
01-25-2012, 03:55 PM
NFL: GIANTS DID NOT HIT WILLIAMS ILLEGALLY (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/nfl-ny-players-didnt-hit-williams-illegally)

"The NFL on Tuesday said there were no illegal hits by the Super Bowl-bound Giants on 49ers return man Kyle Williams during the NFC championship game.

Williams fumbled a punt in overtime of San Francisco's 20-17 loss Sunday, and the misplay set up Lawrence Tynes' winning field goal. Afterward, New York's Jacquian Williams and Devin Thomas indicated they were trying to hit Williams given his history of concussions, including the most recent one sustained Dec. 24 at Seattle that kept him out of the regular-season finale at St. Louis.</P>

League spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email that the Giants did nothing against the rules.</P>

"Players are held accountable for their actions on the field. There were no illegal hits to the head or neck area against Kyle Williams on Sunday," Aiello said. "There was no conduct by the Giants of any kind that would suggest an effort to injure Kyle Williams in any way."</P>

Williams' agent, Ken Sarnoff, said the second-year pro is aware of the Giants' postgame comments but is done speaking publicly and is ready to move forward toward the 2012 season. The 49ers had no comment Tuesday.</P>

Jacquian Williams forced Kyle Williams' second fumble of the game. The fill-in return man was playing in place of injured regular Ted Ginn Jr.</P>

"The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest thing, was to take him outta the game," Jacquian Williams told reporters at Candlestick Park.</P>

Thomas recovered both fumbles, including one in the fourth quarter that went under review to reveal the ball glanced off Williams' right knee. Williams still insists the ball didn't hit him.</P>

"He's had a lot of concussions," Thomas told the Newark Star-Ledger. "We were just like, 'We gotta put a hit on that guy.'"</P>

As typical fashion the Media took it out of context. They knew he had concussions in the past. So they felt if they hit him hard he would have a chance to drop/fumble the ball, due to the issue he has had in the past. They did not say they were going out there to hit him hard to cause an injury or another concussion. And as it was mentioned by a few , there were no Illegal hits, or attempts at it. They wanted to hit him hard, and see if he would be affected by the previous issue, not cause it. Btw do they not do that in all games? They were aware of it, thats about the only difference.</P>

I don't remember LBs and Safetys laying off of Kevin Boss because of his history with concussions.</P>

Mod_C
01-25-2012, 04:04 PM

"The NFL on Tuesday said there were no illegal hits by the Super Bowl-bound Giants on 49ers return man Kyle Williams during the NFC championship game.

Williams fumbled a punt in overtime of San Francisco's 20-17 loss Sunday, and the misplay set up Lawrence Tynes' winning field goal. Afterward, New York's Jacquian Williams and Devin Thomas indicated they were trying to hit Williams given his history of concussions, including the most recent one sustained Dec. 24 at Seattle that kept him out of the regular-season finale at St. Louis.</p>

League spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email that the Giants did nothing against the rules.</p>

"Players are held accountable for their actions on the field. There were no illegal hits to the head or neck area against Kyle Williams on Sunday," Aiello said. "There was no conduct by the Giants of any kind that would suggest an effort to injure Kyle Williams in any way."</p>

Williams' agent, Ken Sarnoff, said the second-year pro is aware of the Giants' postgame comments but is done speaking publicly and is ready to move forward toward the 2012 season. The 49ers had no comment Tuesday.</p>

Jacquian Williams forced Kyle Williams' second fumble of the game. The fill-in return man was playing in place of injured regular Ted Ginn Jr.</p>

"The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest thing, was to take him outta the game," Jacquian Williams told reporters at Candlestick Park.</p>

Thomas recovered both fumbles, including one in the fourth quarter that went under review to reveal the ball glanced off Williams' right knee. Williams still insists the ball didn't hit him.</p>

"He's had a lot of concussions," Thomas told the Newark Star-Ledger. "We were just like, 'We gotta put a hit on that guy.'"</p>

As typical fashion the Media took it out of context. They knew he had concussions in the past. So they felt if they hit him hard he would have a chance to drop/fumble the ball, due to the issue he has had in the past. They did not say they were going out there to hit him hard to cause an injury or another concussion. And as it was mentioned by a few , there were no Illegal hits, or attempts at it. They wanted to hit him hard, and see if he would be affected by the previous issue, not cause it. Btw do they not do that in all games? They were aware of it, thats about the only difference.</p>

I don't remember LBs and Safetys laying off of Kevin Boss because of his history with concussions.</p>

It's just media hype.

MikeIsaGiant
01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Obviously, this isn't lingerie football, but Goodell and co. might want it to be.

Sorry Brady, it's not lingerie football, sorry to burst your bubble

slipknottin
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM
wait till that DT on the 9ers gets his huge fine for that blind side hit on Sash after the play was already over.

Mod_C
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM

</p>

I'm telling you -- the writer of the New Yorker article that started all of this had an agenda there. It was more of an anti-concusion crusade, which I'm all for, but he or she really took things out of context and made it sound like the Giants were drooling with delight over hoping to cause a concussion.</p>

And there was an idiot (Alex something-or-other) from Bleacher Reports who wrote an article based on the New Yorker article saying that they were "head-hunting." The New Yorker didn't even go that far. I read the Bleacher columnist's bio, and he was a Pats fan. I honestly believe that he was looking to prep the battlefield hoping that the league would take notice of this fake story and shine an extra (and unfair) light onto the Giants.</p>

It was absolutely malicious and both writers should apologize to J. Williams and the Giants. Other mags / papers quoted J. Williams as well, but they in no way made it sound like he was trying to do anything unfair, illegal, or dangerous.</p>

Bleacher Reports is notoriously unreliable

Husky
01-25-2012, 05:15 PM
wait till that DT on the 9ers gets his huge fine for that blind side hit on Sash after the play was already over.
That hit was so Sapp like! No call. The only good thing about it is that Sash didn't get hurt badly.
Their CB who KO'd himself was looking to layout Cruz.

nycisgreat
01-25-2012, 08:17 PM

against the rules.</p>

Candlestick Park.</p>

"We were just like, 'We gotta put a hit on that guy.'"</p>

This was evident by the game. The thing that got me upset about this so call illegal hit business on Williams was the fact that Lival Joseph had a busted mouth and they flag us as if the guy did it to himself.

What Justin Tuck said few weeks ago about the Falcons o-line is most team have been doing to against us for the past few years. The opposing players are always hitting our players after the whistle. Too many times our guys quickly lose their cool, and we end up getting flagged. I think that was on of Harbaugh's strategic. To many times I saw 9ers defenders laying on top of ours offense players after plays with no intention of getting off our guys right away. It made me sick.