PDA

View Full Version : who on this defense makes Hall of Fame

shotcalla39
01-26-2012, 04:36 AM
If we can bury the Pats and take home the Lombardi who on this defense does the 2 championships help get into the hall?

I think Osi should get in.... He has forced over 32 fumbles in his career... He is probably the best ever at the strip sack...and when he plays he's an elite pass rusher...

I think Tuck would have to put together 2 or 3 more 13+ sacks seasons...

Jpp has the potential to be an all time great

greenca190
01-26-2012, 05:02 AM
If we can bury the Pats and take home the Lombardi who on this defense does the 2 championships help get into the hall?

I think Osi should get in.... He has forced over 32 fumbles in his career... He is probably the best ever at the strip sack...and when he plays he's an elite pass rusher...

I don't think anyone on the defense is going to the hall of fame. Besides Perry Fewell. /red

shotcalla39
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM

I think Osi should get in.... He has forced over 32 fumbles in his career... He is probably the best ever at the strip sack...and when he plays he's an elite pass rusherno...

I don't think anyone on the defense is going to the hall of fame. Besides Perry Fewell. /red

I disagree

MikeIsaGiant
01-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Most likely Osi IMO

pjam84
01-26-2012, 02:29 PM
maybe jpp. i could see tuck and osi maybe one day...but certainly not first ballot. webster would be a long shot, but if he continues for another 5+ years at a high level, he will have had a hell of a career.

who knows though, a lot of these guys are still really young. so maybe more than we think. that would be ideal.

jhamburg
01-26-2012, 02:38 PM

You have to realize how few guys get into the hall-of-fame. I mean every great QB goes, but as far as pass rushers go? In the modern era (80s-2000s), you basically have Derrick Thomas, LT, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Richard Dent, Harry Carson, Dan Hampton, Howie Long, and that's about it. Strahan will go, a few other guys will go, but a lot of top-quality pro bowl guys don't make it if you can't put together a great body of work in your career. Tuck and Osi both have iffy career numbers, a few really good seasons but not sustained dominance. Guys like Jason Taylor, Ware, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, etc, have to get in before them as it stands now.

nihan87
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
It is still early in his career, but if JPP keeps going at this pace, I can see him making it.

GameTime
01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
If we can bury the Pats and take home the Lombardi who on this defense does the 2 championships help get into the hall? I think Osi should get in.... He has forced over 32 fumbles in his career... He is probably the best ever at the strip sack...and when he plays he's an elite pass rusher... I think Tuck would have to put together 2 or 3 more 13+ sacks seasons... Jpp has the potential to be an all time great</P>

Osi...like Tuck will need a few more years of great play IMO....</P>

JPP...way too early. </P>

Where is Jakk....he would certainly say Chase Blackburn. Not a dis on Chase at all....I love that he is back on the team and making a huge impact. Just wanted to bust Jakk's balls....</P>

</P>

</P>

NYGFaninILL
01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Nobody right now. In order to get into the HOF you have to DOMINATE your position for a lengthy period of time. We have great DE's but their better as a unit. I mean look how much the pass rush picked up since Osi got back.

I think OSI and tuck need more stats before they even get considered.

That being said, the only Giants from this past decade (defensively) who will get in is Strahan, and he's not a first ballot guy

Giants10Joe
01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Right now, no one. JPP is a dominant player but it's only his second year. He would need to keep up this level of play for at least 6-8 more years just to be part of the conversation. Tuck and Osi are great players but both have struggled with a lot injuries and down years and I don't think either ever really reached their full potential and probably never will. Webster is the only other one that even deserves a mention for this but he rarely gets talked about as being in the same class as top cornerbacks like Woodson, Revis, and Asmougha, so he's a no too.

jhamburg
01-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Right now, no one. JPP is a dominant player but it's only his second year. He would need to keep up this level of play for at least 6-8 more years just to be part of the conversation. Tuck and Osi are great players but both have struggled with a lot injuries and down years and I don't think either ever really reached their full potential and probably never will. Webster is the only other one that even deserves a mention for this but he rarely gets talked about as being in the same class as top cornerbacks like Woodson, Revis, and Asmougha, so he's a no too.

Webster deserves mention as a top CB, but not HOF. Even Asomugha might not make it, the only sure thing CBs in the league right now are Bailey and Woodson, and Revis if he stays healthy.

Kruunch
01-26-2012, 03:57 PM

If they win the Super Bowl 63-0 and everyone on the defense scores 5 sacks, an int and a forced fumble EACH, not a single one of them would be HoF worthy.

First because no one on the defense has had a long enough career with the possible exception of Osi and Grant. And neither of those players have the stats to make the HoF.

Osi only has 69 sacks for his career which isn't high for a pass rushing DE (when speaking about the HoF) and only has had double digit sacks 3 times in his career.

Grant has always been a good player ... just not a great player.

Now if you were to ask the question; given a similar year this year for the rest of their careers, who would make the HoF with an average ending career age of 35, I'd say the following:

1) Tuck

2) JPP

3) Webster (he doesn't get near the credit he should though)

4) Osi *possibly* (losing a year and a half will really hurt his final numbers)

slipknottin
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
JPP has the best odds of it.

But its highly unlikely for anyone on this defense to reach the HoF.

jhamburg
01-26-2012, 04:11 PM

I wouldn't say "highly unlikely" for JPP. I can't think of 5 pass rushers in history who were better than JPP at this point in their career.

slipknottin
01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't say "highly unlikely" for JPP. I can' think of 5 pass rushers in history who were better than JPP at this point in their career.

A lot of other factors play into it, health, how long his career lasts, if he can consistently play at this level, if he can improve. etc.

HoF is not an easy thing to do, have to be consistently excellent for a very long time.

Kruunch
01-26-2012, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't say "highly unlikely" for JPP. I can't think of 5 pass rushers in history who were better than JPP at this point in their career.

I can only think of a few that had whole careers with those numbers thoughout though.

jhamburg
01-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't say "highly unlikely" for JPP. I can' think of 5 pass rushers in history who were better than JPP at this point in their career.

A lot of other factors play into it, health, how long his career lasts, if he can consistently play at this level, if he can improve. etc.

HoF is not an easy thing to do, have to be consistently excellent for a very long time.

No it's a long road for sure. But compare him to other guys at 22, and look at who measures up. Javon Kearse, sure....but also LT, Reggie White...I'll take those odds.

Plus the Giants will always stack the d-line, so there's no worry that as his reputation grows teams will just gameplan for JPP and turn the other guys loose.

nygsb42champs
01-26-2012, 05:19 PM
As of right now nobody.

BigBlue D
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
I agree on JPP as well.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Nobody right now. In order to get into the HOF you have to DOMINATE your position for a lengthy period of time. We have great DE's but their better as a unit. I mean look how much the pass rush picked up since Osi got back.

I think OSI and tuck need more stats before they even get considered.

That being said, the only Giants from this past decade (defensively) who will get in is Strahan, and he's not a first ballot guy
Tiki could possibly make it.

bleedblueVA
01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Tolly just for the spin kick

nhpgiantsfan
01-26-2012, 10:58 PM
There are NO hall of famers on this defense. Let's not even discuss JPP. He is in his second year. So that leaves Osi and Tuck. I love Tuck but he just isn's a hall of famer. Cant mention his name with guys like Bruce Smith &amp; Reggie White. He is evenon a level below Dware, and Jared Allen. He would have to stay healthy and dominate for the next 5 years, in my opinion.</P>

Osi is a more interesting discussion. If he can put together maybe 3 more healthy productive seasons, with big sack numbers,he might be a long shot only because of the turnovers.</P>

Nobody else stands a chance. Webster is a great cover guy, but just doesnt have the interception numbers.</P>

bflo23
01-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Osi has health issues that linger and is only 2 time pro bowler in his 8 years. I don't think he has a chance. And Tuck simply doesn't have the stats.

JPP is far more athletic than both Osi and Tuck. We can't really talk about HOF with JPP because it is only 2 years. However, if he is healthy, plays long enough and continues to play at the level he has show, he will have HOF stats. BEAST! The thing that seperates JPP is that he has much better overall game than the other DEs. The great DEs are getting 30-40 tackles and JPP got 86 tackles!

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Right now? Leaving JPP aside because he just started his career, I don't see any of our current Giant players being good enough for the HOF. We've got some very good, excellent, pro-bowler players, but I don't seem them being HOF material. No way.

bLuereverie
01-27-2012, 08:45 AM
JPP has the best chance IF, and it is a big if, he can stay healthy and consistent.

Sad to say that Osi and Tuck won't sniff the hall. While saddening for each of these two as individuals, it's more of a testament as to how the Giants work as a unit. Just because each lack the individual production to make it, doesn't mean their collective effect on the game is any less than any defensive player in the hall right now.

Drez
01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I think the only player on our defense that has the chance of making it to the HoF is JPP, and it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early in his career to even speculate on that.

Drez
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Nobody right now. In order to get into the HOF you have to DOMINATE your position for a lengthy period of time. We have great DE's but their better as a unit. I mean look how much the pass rush picked up since Osi got back. I think OSI and tuck need more stats before they even get considered. That being said, the only Giants from this past decade (defensively) who will get in is Strahan, and he's not a first ballot guy
Tiki could possibly make it.
</P>

Tike probably won't make it. His stats are borderline, and he really only lit it up his last few years. If he hadn't been a little ***** about playing under the guy that singlehandedly resurrected his career, then he probably would have been able to put together the couple of extra seasons needed for him to make it.</P>

Voldamort
01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
JPP if Tuck has a strong finish!!! I think JPP will be the Giants all time sackleader!!