PDA

View Full Version : STACY ANDREWS HOSPITALIZED

Overdrive92
12-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Giants OT Stacy Andrews will be out today as he was hospitalized last night. He was admitted for pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. He is expected to be released from the hospital on Monday.

titwio
12-04-2011, 01:20 PM
What exactly is pulmonary embolisms?

Overdrive92
12-04-2011, 01:21 PM

From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.

krygny
12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I think it's blood clotting or pooling. I don't think is necessarily serious but, like anything else, it can be a manifestation of something that is.

Is there a doctor in the house?

JMFP2
12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
What exactly is pulmonary embolisms? From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.</P>

Sounds serious....hope he's okay.</P>

Rusty192
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
What exactly is pulmonary embolisms? From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.</p>

Sounds serious....hope he's okay.</p>agree. Hang in there Stacey

DVision
12-04-2011, 01:45 PM
What exactly is pulmonary embolisms? From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.</p>

Sounds serious....hope he's okay.</p>agree. Hang in there Stacey

I have the same thing. It can be life threatening if not caught or if the clots are large enough. They put a filter in my groin to prevent large clots from traveling from my legs to my heart. They will put him on blood thinners for a while and he should be ok!

krygny
12-04-2011, 01:48 PM
I have the same thing. It can be life threatening if not caught or if the clots are large enough. They put a filter in my groin to prevent large clots from traveling from my legs to my heart. They will put him on blood thinners for a while and he should be ok!
What can cause it?

EmpireStateG
12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Not a doctor, just a lowly pre-med student, so hopefully a real MD will come along and offer more insight, but....

A pulmonary embolism is a blockage of one or more arteries in the lungs. It usually goes hand in hand with deep vein thrombosis (DVT)- in which a clot that originates (usually) in your legs travels to your lungs. PEs can be fatal- but that they caught it and he is expected to be released on Monday is a good sign. The two together (PE and DVT) are referred to as venous thromboembolism.

One of the bigger concerns with a PE is that the blockage can actually damage the surrounding lung tissue- essentially depriving it of oxygen and causing the tissue to die.

Usually it's treated with an anti-coagulant. How serious his case is depends on a lot of factors, and without knowing specifics it's hard to comment. It may be something that he'll need long-term treatment for, maybe not. I can't say.

I do hope he has a speedy recovery!

EmpireStateG
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
What can cause it?

Usually a blood clot from your legs or another area related to DVT, but it could be air bubbles, it could be fat from the marrow of a broken bone... it depends.

fourth&forever
12-04-2011, 02:04 PM
What exactly is pulmonary embolisms? From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.</P>

Sounds serious....hope he's okay.</P>
Something is blocking the arteries to his lungs. Its usually a piece of fat, plaque, or air bubble that traveled from his leg. The condition can be fatal. But there are way too many variables to speculate further. Suffice to say he is getting less oxygen from his lungs.

FDNY Fitzy
12-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I think it's blood clotting or pooling. I don't think is necessarily serious but, like anything else, it can be a manifestation of something that is.

An embolism can kill you if a big enough one gets into the heart or brain.

When you sit still for too long, blood can pool and clot. It then will travel and jam up in parts of the blood stream and cause strokes or heart attacks.

This is why you should always get up and move around during tv timeouts, and occasionally shift position during flights.

krygny
12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
This is why you should always get up and move around during tv timeouts, ...
Well, that's just crazy talk. If I didn't want to lead a sedentary lifestyle, wouldn't have a subservient and submissive wife to bring me my beer, snacks and all the artery-clogging sustenance I desire during the game.

DAMMIT!! I gotta go wiz.

fourth&forever
12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
This is why you should always get up and move around during tv timeouts, ...
Well, that's just crazy talk. If I didn't want to lead a sedentary lifestyle, wouldn't have a subservient and submissive wife to bring me my beer, snacks and all the artery-clogging sustenance I desire during the game.

DAMMIT!! I gotta go wiz.

have the wife fetch your bucket

Mr Excitement
12-04-2011, 03:56 PM
This team is cursed....I swear it is..

Drez
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Actually, it's VERY serious. Life threatening if not diagnosed quickly. My fiancee just went through this this past September. Chances are better than not that this will end his career, as he will likely have to be on Coumadin(warafin) for the rest of his life. He'll have a much greater chance for internal bleeding (and most worrisome bleeding in the brain) while following a blood thinning regimen.

RoanokeFan
12-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Can you believe the string of continuing injuries/illnesses?