PDA

View Full Version : Eli & Gilbride have to be VERY patient vs. Patriots

NYBlue10
01-26-2012, 04:43 PM
As the saying goes, to the victor goes all the spoils, but I felt that 49ers game offensively was not a very good one, especially the second half, 49ers made an adjustment defensively to defend the pass and Gilbride kept calling pass plays, throwing for over 50 times in such conditions is reckless, it was very fortunate that Eli didn't throw any INTs because he threw a few into double-coverage for a sure INTs if it wasn't for the defenders knocking each other out. Granted the running game was not very effective, but it wasn't totally ineffective either, Bradshaw was running good enough.

The Patriots will entice Eli to throw the ball, as hot as Eli is, Patriots know that they have no chance if Giants get their running game going.

No matter how things go with the running game, they have to stick to it, Eli can't throw for more than 50 times, 49ers game was an anomaly, because Giants have lost ALL games when the QB throws for more than 50 times in a game, including two by Eli.

giantsfan420
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
no disrespect, but i disagree completely. i thought vs SF, we were taking the only approach that could have won the game. the run game was doing absolutely nothing. we were moving the ball somewhat in the 2nd half, just didnt get enough time to get passes off on several 3rd downs.

and vs NE, NE will def. try to take the strongest aspect of our O away and thats the pass. we should run vs NE not bc of patience, but bc it may be the best way to attack how they're defending. BUT, if the run game cannot get going, we will have to start depending on the pass, as has been the story all season.

U do what u do best, especially when its carried u to the SB. To try and change who u are simply bc u MADE it to the SB is moronic. We are now a pass heavy team, if for no other reason, bc it actually works when the run game doesnt. and the run game hasnt worked for virtually the whole year.

NE would be foolish to try and dare the Giants into passing. We already beat them, thanks in large part, bc of the pass game. and that was w/o nicks, a banged up MM, and no bradshaw.

i expect the offense to explode on the 31rst ranked defense, for eli to go off and be careful yet aggressive with the passing game, and for the run to work. remember, even when the run game is working, KG uses the pass to setup the run. not the other way around.

giantsfan420
01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
that 3rd and 15 td pass to MM was what SF wanted us to face. That play and distance was what SF wanted. Should we have just run to setup the FG? or do u attack to try and win? we attacked, and got the td.

NE d is NOTHING like the d of SF. We will be able to pass all over them. Their slot DB is a WR/RB. Cruz wins that all day.

Pass pass and pass some more. if they get a lucky INT, eli will forget the last play and focus on the next, as he always does. but i expect eli to be very meticulous and focused. I honestly see us winning this by a couple scores.

Kysersoze
01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I disagree as well. The Giants are going to face a defense which is much weaker than the 49ers. The only reason the Patriots are in the Super Bowl is cause they can score a ton of points. They just faced an anemic Ravens offense and barely won that game.

Gilbride has been better in the playoffs but he still is too conservative and also in love with the draw play. I already know when its coming every time they line up on a 3rd and short, trust me other teams do as well that why it never freaking works. Giants can try to establish the run but they dont need to run to win this game. Eli can pick that secondary apart!

SweetZombieJesus
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
As the saying goes, to the victor goes all the spoils

That's a GREAT headline if Cruz can be the MVP

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/10/14/32/2148021/3/628x471.jpg

NYG 5
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
No, killdrive had the right idea being aggressive. You weren't likely to have a 15 yard scoring drive against that defense, you were better off looking deep trying to score off a broken tackle of blown coverage.

I think he needs to stay aggressive, but not as much as the sf game. Spread the field, move the ball and score. The offensive philosophy should be to bury them, because the pats are always going to be able to score, but you want them to always be playing catchup.

The pats are gonna be worried about the pass rush the whole time. I would tell eli to just ****in sling it

NYBlue10
01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
C'mon people, you are just making excuses because we won, if we lost you'd be screaming and questioning why they were calling over 50 pass plays in such HORRID conditions. In the 2nd half our 3rd down conversion % was as bad as 49ers. It's never a good idea to be one-dimensional, it only makes the opposing defense's job easier. The fact that our O-line couldn't pass-protect Eli is another reason for calling more running plays as well.

49ers will take 3rd and 15 any day, would it be 3rd and 15 if they ran the ball on the first two downs? No, probably a shorter distance, then Eli could throw a much easier pass for a 1st down or a TD, you can't say passing game worked just because they got a TD on that play, it obviously wasn't working in the 2nd half, and the only reason we even scored was from the turnover, Eli didn't pass his way across the field or anything.

Hey I'm not saying Eli shouldn't pass more than run plays, I just think they have to be more patient and balanced, over 50 pass plays in THAT WEATHER, is just non-sense.

G-Man67
01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
As the saying goes, to the victor goes all the spoils, but I felt that 49ers game offensively was not a very good one, especially the second half, 49ers made an adjustment defensively to defend the pass and Gilbride kept calling pass plays, throwing for over 50 times in such conditions is reckless, it was very fortunate that Eli didn't throw any INTs because he threw a few into double-coverage for a sure INTs if it wasn't for the defenders knocking each other out. Granted the running game was not very effective, but it wasn't totally ineffective either, Bradshaw was running good enough.

The Patriots will entice Eli to throw the ball, as hot as Eli is, Patriots know that they have no chance if Giants get their running game going.

No matter how things go with the running game, they have to stick to it, Eli can't throw for more than 50 times, 49ers game was an anomaly, because Giants have lost ALL games when the QB throws for more than 50 times in a game, including two by Eli.

i might tend to agree with you if we had been a consistently good running team all year, but we have to accept the fact that our running game is not that strong and SFs D is about as good as it gets

i thought what slowed us down more than anything, well aside from the onslaught of a pass rush, was the injury to Nicks ... there is no question in my mind that we were throwing more passes to Cruz b/c Nicks shoulder was hurting after being popped back into place and that prevented him from extending ... making him mostly a decoy

tdawg1413
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
C'mon people, you are just making excuses because we won, if we lost you'd be screaming and questioning why they were calling over 50 pass plays in such HORRID conditions. In the 2nd half our 3rd down conversion % was as bad as 49ers. It's never a good idea to be one-dimensional, it only makes the opposing defense's job easier. The fact that our O-line couldn't pass-protect Eli is another reason for calling more running plays as well.

49ers will take 3rd and 15 any day, would it be 3rd and 15 if they ran the ball on the first two downs? No, probably a shorter distance, then Eli could throw a much easier pass for a 1st down or a TD, you can't say passing game worked just because they got a TD on that play, it obviously wasn't working in the 2nd half, and the only reason we even scored was from the turnover, Eli didn't pass his way across the field or anything.

Hey I'm not saying Eli shouldn't pass more than run plays, I just think they have to be more patient and balanced, over 50 pass plays in THAT WEATHER, is just non-sense.

Against that defense, throwing was the way to go regardless of the weather conditions. They have a hell of a defense. The Pats on the other hand, do not. We should be able to run, pass as much as we need to. They do stiffen up in the red zone though, so a key for us is when we get there to get 7 instead of 3.

G-Man67
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
now here's a good one ... SF with arguably one of the very best running backs in the NFL, playing with the lead only ran the ball 20 times vs. us and that is the coach of the year in SF

we had the worst running attack in football and we ran it 9 more times than SF and we were behind trying to make a comeback

i think a dose of reality is needed here

NYBlue10
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
now here's a good one ... SF with arguably one of the very best running backs in the NFL, playing with the lead only ran the ball 20 times vs. us and that is the coach of the year in SF

we had the worst running attack in football and we ran it 9 more times than SF and we were behind trying to make a comeback

49ers clearly blew it by going away from the run because Gore was having a nice day, and I think 49ers may have won if they stuck to it. Even the 49ers coaching staff bought into the Alex Smith hype too much.

bearbryant
01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
The SB will be played in different conditions against a different team... Thank God!!!
Get honest, look at the tape, people! Not to bad rap the G Men but we were lucky that we didn't get intercepted at least 2X's if not more. That ball was flying around in the air just waiting to get an INT put on it. I agree the running game was going no where because of the O line and the calls, the 9ers had our number on the ground! . Two things would have helped: put Petrus in and put baas on the pine and use short passes as runs. It still would have been tough against that D running the plays we did. The SB will give us a lot more opportunity to run but not with baas in there. They had a great plan for the first meeting, work it again, plus some wrinkles!

dezzzR
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM

No matter how things go with the running game, they have to stick to it, Eli can't throw for more than 50 times, 49ers game was an anomaly, because Giants have lost ALL games when the QB throws for more than 50 times in a game, including two by Eli.Maybe you mean balanced instead of patient? which will most likely be the case.

Either way, all three wrs are hot and so is Eli. Why take the ball away from them? We should stick with what got us here. Let the Patriots entice Eli to throw. They should be scared of him and the giants receivers, not the other way around. And I bet they are.

G-Man67
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM

49ers clearly blew it by going away from the run because Gore was having a nice day, and I think 49ers may have won if they stuck to it. Even the 49ers coaching staff bought into the Alex Smith hype too much.

agreed, but the Eli hype is real ... when we need to move the ball, he is option #1 ... it's disappointing that our running game went south this year, but it has and that SF D wasn't giving up anything ... i think SF abandoned the run, but i think we simply had to throw to move the ball and comeback

finally, i know everyone thinks back to that Skins game where the wind was 50 MPH and says here we go again ... there was nothing, other than the SF pass rush, preventing us from throwing ... yes it was raining, but i never saw the rain affect a throw or even many catches ... i'm sure Eli was often out in the rain down in Mississippi chucking it around back in the day

Firenugget
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM

I disagree. In this game, in a dome, with our WR's....If EVER there was a time for Gilbride to unleash this passing game, this is the game and the defense to do it against.

Eli just has to be smart about where he puts it.

EZ_E
01-27-2012, 12:44 AM

I think you take what the defense gives and of course always try to find a balance if possible on offense with running and passing.

That being said, I agree the 49ers did make an adjustment in the 2nd half with regards to stopping the medium and deep passes that hurt them in the 1st half. We failed to call passing plays with shorter routes. Stubbornly refusing to do that is what led to Eli holding on to the ball too long waiting for those deeper routes to develop and as a result he was sacked and hit many times.

Our strength offensively is passing, but again, you have to take what the defense gives you and keep them honest with some resemblence of a running game. 50 pass attempts is rarely a successful formula for winning games.

JMFP2
01-27-2012, 12:49 AM
I disagree as well. The Giants are going to face a defense which is much weaker than the 49ers. The only reason the Patriots are in the Super Bowl is cause they can score a ton of points. They just faced an anemic Ravens offense and barely won that game.

Gilbride has been better in the playoffs but he still is too conservative and also in love with the draw play. I already know when its coming every time they line up on a 3rd and short, trust me other teams do as well that why it never freaking works. Giants can try to establish the run but they dont need to run to win this game. Eli can pick that secondary apart!
</P>

</P>

True, that delayed draw is a predictable, miserable play....like you said, I can smell it from a mile away.</P>

Just wish they'd blast Jacobs off tacklemore...full speed ahead, lower the shoulder, and get 2 yards even if nothing is there.</P>

BillTheGreek
01-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Eli, has to stay focused, Make sure your receivers are Wide OPEN !

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 01:08 AM
no disrespect, but i disagree completely. i thought vs SF, we were taking the only approach that could have won the game. the run game was doing absolutely nothing. we were moving the ball somewhat in the 2nd half, just didnt get enough time to get passes off on several 3rd downs.

and vs NE, NE will def. try to take the strongest aspect of our O away and thats the pass. we should run vs NE not bc of patience, but bc it may be the best way to attack how they're defending. BUT, if the run game cannot get going, we will have to start depending on the pass, as has been the story all season.

U do what u do best, especially when its carried u to the SB. To try and change who u are simply bc u MADE it to the SB is moronic. We are now a pass heavy team, if for no other reason, bc it actually works when the run game doesnt. and the run game hasnt worked for virtually the whole year.

NE would be foolish to try and dare the Giants into passing. We already beat them, thanks in large part, bc of the pass game. and that was w/o nicks, a banged up MM, and no bradshaw.

i expect the offense to explode on the 31rst ranked defense, for eli to go off and be careful yet aggressive with the passing game, and for the run to work. remember, even when the run game is working, KG uses the pass to setup the run. not the other way around.
I'd be willing to stick with the run game here more because the Pats D is not nearly as good as the 49ers'.

I'm not saying that Eli can't throw any picks, but he's only had 1 so far these playoffs (knock on wood) and I can't blame the Giants if they feel they need, and can, throw a bunch.

I, however, think that we'll be able to run at least well enough to provide some balance.

giantsfan420
01-27-2012, 01:21 AM

I'd be willing to stick with the run game here more because the Pats D is not nearly as good as the 49ers'.

I'm not saying that Eli can't throw any picks, but he's only had 1 so far these playoffs (knock on wood) and I can't blame the Giants if they feel they need, and can, throw a bunch.

I, however, think that we'll be able to run at least well enough to provide some balance.

oh without a doubt. i was merely objecting to the POV that we need to run the ball bc NE will want us to pass so they can get turnovers. NE would be crazy to think their best chance at defending us is to have us pass. I do think that NE will try to defend the pass first therefore we should be able to run enough to have a good balance.

but ultimately i dont think NE will be able to stop us whatever way we wish to attack them. I expect us to score 28 points or more. We may have to if NE is able to put points on the board, which they will do undoubtedly but I feel our defense will be able to make stops.

GfieldGmen
01-27-2012, 01:32 AM
The problem wasn't the 50 passes but in the 2nd half the type of passes we were throwing. 49ers were blitzing like crazy yet we didn't decide to use there aggression against them by doing some quick hitter, quick slants screens or anything like that. Almost every pass play was trying to throw the ball 15yards down the field.

JMFP2
01-27-2012, 01:49 AM
As the saying goes, to the victor goes all the spoils, but I felt that 49ers game offensively was not a very good one, especially the second half, 49ers made an adjustment defensively to defend the pass and Gilbride kept calling pass plays, throwing for over 50 times in such conditions is reckless, it was very fortunate that Eli didn't throw any INTs because he threw a few into double-coverage for a sure INTs if it wasn't for the defenders knocking each other out. Granted the running game was not very effective, but it wasn't totally ineffective either, Bradshaw was running good enough. The Patriots will entice Eli to throw the ball, as hot as Eli is, Patriots know that they have no chance if Giants get their running game going. No matter how things go with the running game, they have to stick to it, Eli can't throw for more than 50 times, 49ers game was an anomaly, because Giants have lost ALL games when the QB throws for more than 50 times in a game, including two by Eli.</P>

I think the conditions, and the opponent, will favor an agressive approach:</P>

Indoor / fast surface .... favors Cruz, Manningham, and Nicks</P>

Patriots secondary is the weak spot of a defense that isn't that good to being with.</P>

Eli is very comfortable in these conditions.....Giants average about 450 yards in domes (360 in the air).</P>

</P>

Diamondring
01-27-2012, 01:57 AM
The problem wasn't the 50 passes but in the 2nd half the type of passes we were throwing. 49ers were blitzing like crazy yet we didn't decide to use there aggression against them by doing some quick hitter, quick slants screens or anything like that. Almost every pass play was trying to throw the ball 15yards down the field.This right here.

Diamondring
01-27-2012, 02:28 AM

No matter how things go with the running game, they have to stick to it, Eli can't throw for more than 50 times, 49ers game was an anomaly, because Giants have lost ALL games when the QB throws for more than 50 times in a game, including two by Eli.What this got to do with being patient? Your title should be the Giants should run more. If you are going to be patient, then that could help the Pats out because they can get the right personel in. You can also pass the ball and be patient as well Running the ball isn't the only way to run out the clock and the Giants proved that in Superbowl 42. I think your title should be the Giants should run more. You may also have a point though but I doubt the 49ers would int a lot of the Giants passes since we do have a good amount of decent receivers to stretch the field..