PDA

View Full Version : We will hoist SB Trophy just like 90 w/ 1 big difference

miked1958
01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I really feel we have what it takes to seal the deal and earn our 4th SB Title and 2nd 5 seasons or 2in 4yrs.. just like in 86 when we went back 4yrs later and got 2 in the same span of time.</P>

The difference this time is I dont think we wait 17 more years for another Title.</P>

Last time we had alot of aging players at the ends of their careers. After that we never really could quite get there again.</P>

The 86 team was a dominating team.. lots of young guys and alot of the same guys got that 2nd one.</P>

This time around we only have 16 players from that 1st SB team in 07. </P>

This is a very young team in the sense we have a very young core of WRs, TE, LBers some new blood coming into secondary with Prince and maybe even chad jones. on DLine we have new blood Joseph, JPP and maybe next year we find we have another beast in Marvin. We may have a Home run hitter in D. Scott. Hynoski looks like he will be here awhile, Oline has some new young guys to build off of. TO top it off Eli still has 5-7 really good years left in him.</P>

So on the upside I dont think we wait another 17 yrs if we win feb 5th</P>

What say you.....</P>

EliTE
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
the reason there was a 17 year gap between superbowls was simple, quarterback.

as long as we've got eli we always got a chance to win it all.

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 12:51 AM

Also, almost a decade's worth of absolutely horrible and worthless 1st round picks (including QB Dave Brown).

I still think that with Eli, TC, and JR we can possibly make some sort of run at a dynasty here (assuming we win SB 46) because I hate to think that we closed that window.

I feel that 2008 - 2010 were about lost opportunities. We came out of SB 42 with SB experience, a young and accomplished QB, one of the youngest teams in the league, a great o-line, awesome RBs, talent up and down the roster, and plenty of salary cap space. Those were 3 valuable years with lots of young talent, but no playoff victories to show for it.

If we don't get this o-line improved next year, it could really hamper us.

miked1958
01-27-2012, 12:56 AM

Also, almost a decade's worth of absolutely horrible and worthless 1st round picks (including QB Dave Brown).
Well my point is this team can win it with a lot of really young players on it. A great group to build around. These guys have not even peaked yet.

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 01:05 AM

Well my point is this team can win it with a lot of really young players on it. A great group to build around. These guys have not even peaked yet.
I agree with all of your points -- this team is definitely younger than the '80s team that was too old by the early '90s. That era's great Giants all got old at the same time.

miked1958
01-27-2012, 02:13 AM

I agree with all of your points -- this team is definitely younger than the '80s team that was too old by the early '90s. That era's great Giants all got old at the same time.It's just exciting to me that if we can seal the deal with all the problems we been through this season. Just think how good we could be once these guys get a bit older and we get back a lot of the young talent that went down to injury.

Also the playoff and SB experience these young guys are getting is so valuable. In coming yrs they won't be any pressure situation that they face that they won't have the confidence to overcome

lovetohatetheeagles
01-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Also... if I rememebr correctly there was a player strike following the 86 Super Bowl win... any chance for a repeat was squashed.

SweetZombieJesus
01-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I like the sentiment but I disagree somewhat...

It looks like our coaching staff won't get raided as I was afraid of. That will help the 2012 campaign.

But there are probably going to be big changes.

(1) Will Coughlin go out on top or will he keep coaching? I could see him calling it a career.

(2) The O-line seriously needs to be blown up. We are so lucky they are playing at a decent level now, but it's like an old tire with no tread and a huge bubble sticking out of the sidewall. We shouldn't travel much further on it. The running game sucks, they can't open holes, and their pass protection is suspect. I know the 49ers brought it like no other but still Eli got murdered. We need to stop patching the old line and blow it up.

(3) Brandon Jacobs is DONE. Bradshaw is teetering. We need new RBs.

(4) We don't know the fate of impending free agents. First, JPP and Cruz deserve 15 year bank-busting contracts. I'm sure JR will lock them up at relative bargain prices. Osi will be in the last year of his contract and will probably be trade bait. Manningham will probably be gone, Nicks is coming up soon and will deserve the money. Tuck has been playing on a bargain contract (and keeping his mouth shut about it) and will be due money soon. Kiwi's contract is up, I believe. Ross is up and if TT can recover from his injury then he will be due money too. There are probably others I am missing.

Oh and regarding the 86 and 90 teams, there weren't many players in common between those two teams either. Bill Parcells purged the team after the 1988 playoff loss and some guys (like Harry Carson) retired. I'm too lazy to compare the two rosters but there were not many players in common.

SweetZombieJesus
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
These guys have not even peaked yet.

Our O-line and running backs peaked three years ago.