PDA

View Full Version : Why the Giants are the villians

bleedblueVA
01-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I think the dislike and distaste of the Giants from non-fans really comes down to one thing. I think many people, especially the “new generation” of NFL fans want the game to be modernized and flashy much like other professional sports leagues have become. And the giants are the antithesis to this idea.

The NBA has become about a “superstar’s game”. The MLB is all about high powered slugging teams and a game of payrolls. The NHL went through a major change regarding rule changes following it’s lockout and has become more modernized as well. The culture of American professional sports has been changing for the past ten years now.

Now let’s take a look at four teams in particular. The New England Patriots, the New York Giants, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Green Bay Packers. These are all VERY traditional teams with a certain code of conduct and integrity that has been upheld for a very long time. Hell, three of those teams don’t even have cheerleaders!

It’s all about tradition. I think people are upset that they were wrong about the Giants organization being behind with the times. They are upset we don’t have divas and superstar egos in our locker room and we are STILL successful. And even if we DO have divas, we make them professionals (i.e. Antrell Rolle). Coughlin and the Mara family bring a culture to this team. The culture is appreciation for values and traditions, and ultimately building a TEAM. A football team that no matter what the record is, they still have a chance to be successful. So yes, non-giants fans and other teams are jealous. Most teams have adapted to the “new” NFL; however the ones who haven’t have been the most successful in the 2000s.

Just my two cents.

bLuereverie
01-26-2012, 05:43 PM
You're thinking too much. I'm willing to bet the Giants don't receive any more dislike than any other SB team of the past, we just see it now because we are in the postseason.

I'm sure the nation would prefer Giants winning than NE.

bleedblueVA
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah, maybe you're right. I guess it's easy to think a little too much waiting for these two weeks to go by. I want this super bowl so badly.

bandwgn86
01-26-2012, 05:47 PM
I think the dislike and distaste of the Giants from non-fans really comes down to one thing. I think many people, especially the “new generation” of NFL fans want the game to be modernized and flashy much like other professional sports leagues have become. And the giants are the antithesis to this idea. The NBA has become about a “superstar’s game”. The MLB is all about high powered slugging teams and a game of payrolls. The NHL went through a major change regarding rule changes following it’s lockout and has become more modernized as well. The culture of American professional sports has been changing for the past ten years now. Now let’s take a look at four teams in particular. The New England Patriots, the New York Giants, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Green Bay Packers. These are all VERY traditional teams with a certain code of conduct and integrity that has been upheld for a very long time.<FONT size=6> Hell, three of those teams don’t even have cheerleaders!</FONT> It’s all about tradition. I think people are upset that they were wrong about the Giants organization being behind with the times. They are upset we don’t have divas and superstar egos in our locker room and we are STILL successful. And even if we DO have divas, we make them professionals (i.e. Antrell Rolle). Coughlin and the Mara family bring a culture to this team. The culture is appreciation for values and traditions, and ultimately building a TEAM. A football team that no matter what the record is, they still have a chance to be successful. So yes, non-giants fans and other teams are jealous. Most teams have adapted to the “new” NFL; however the ones who haven’t have been the most successful in the 2000s. Just my two cents.weshouldget some..</P>

its all about winning and winning often.. no different than everyone hating the Yankees or Canadiens, Montreal Canadiensnot Canadians (as if you could hate Canadians) </P>

</P>

NYGRealityCheck
01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
It's the expectations that get crushed. 19-0 Patriots, 2011 Packers vs. Saints NFC Championship game,etc... Not happening and too bad!

Sorry to general concensus but the Giants can kick butt.

jhamburg
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
People don't hate us, other than NFCE and Jets fans.

And also I think most people hate the flashy teams. Non jets fans hate the jets for the most part, same with cowboys.

People also hate the Steelers and Patriots more than us for sure.

Voldamort
01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Villians never teams like the Jets,Cowboys,Ravens they are the Villians!!! Nobody in florida think the New York Football Giants are Villians!!!

bLuereverie
01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Why are the Ravens villains?

stormblue
01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
i currently live in Florida and always roll with my giants gear everywhere i go.
i am constantly given congrats and good luck wishes.
and nobody wants to bet either.
not even a gentleman's bet at even money.

SiimSimms77
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm new here but been a fan for years. I really hope they win. Don't you think they are going to?

bleedblueVA
01-26-2012, 09:54 PM
They will

nyknstill!
01-26-2012, 11:46 PM
The biggest reason the Giants are being treated like villains is simple.

http://cache.sharenxs.com/images/wz/cabc/ae/ab/ce/ac/TheBig3.gif

We look at them as hardworkers. The teams we go up against look at them as confident and they just don't want to see this resurrect in NY

http://42.imagebam.com/download/Abbp4pMhMAVJm6CQprWJTg/17182/171814872/GSOT.png

SweetZombieJesus
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey now, John Mara gave in on the smoke machines...

Providence
01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
No one sees us as the villans. New England is definitely "the bad guys" in this one, especially because they are favored.

And our game is that traditional, we can't run the ball and we air it out constantly.

AngryAZN
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I think you are spot on and would go as far as to say there are probably those in the NFL that are fustrated by the Giants old fashioned "stubborness."

As to the younger fans, generally, they are unaware of how much the game changed in just the last 5-10 years. For example, Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson would have no place in today's NFL. Aikman & Young could of play in today's league until they were 45 instead of leaving with injury issues.

NYSPORTS
01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
many fans don't like either one of these teams.

GMENAGAIN
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
People around the country hate New Yorkers . . . . .

bLuereverie
01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
People around the country hate New Yorkers . . . . .

Inferiority complex

MikeIsaGiant
01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I think people think we're a "slow" team. By slow I mean, when people watch us play, they seem to get bored at the beginning of the game. We move the ball patiently, nothing too flashy at times.

I mean, I can sense it because I watched the patriots/ravens game with a lot of people and people loved that game, while people didnt like the 49ers/giants game that much until the end.

I think most people's perspectives of football are skewed these days, they want to see fast moving, high scoring games, they want to see less defense and all offense

JimC
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I think you are spot on and would go as far as to say there are probably those in the NFL that are fustrated by the Giants old fashioned "stubborness."

As to the younger fans, generally, they are unaware of how much the game changed in just the last 5-10 years. For example, Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson would have no place in today's NFL. Aikman &amp; Young could of play in today's league until they were 45 instead of leaving with injury issues.

You make a good point here.....with the way they are changing the rules to protect the QB.....Eli may be able to play until he's 50. Wouldn't that be something?????

Lambeau12
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I dont think anyone hates the Giants. The Packers, Steelers, Cowboys and Patriots heck if your not a fan of those teams pretty much everyone hates them. Like Madden says you either love or hate those teams.

whakka
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Now let’s take a look at four teams in particular. The New England Patriots, the New York Giants, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Green Bay Packers. These are all VERY traditional teams with a certain code of conduct and integrity that has been upheld for a very long time.

the new england patriots should never be described with the word "integrity".

BigBlue D
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
You recently took a Philosophy of Sport class didn't you lol. Nothing wrong with that, I took it as an elective for my major and it was an amazing class. Probably the most interesting class I took outside of my major.