PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have in the slot- Victor Cruz or Wes Welker?

SackingMyths
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
How crazy is it that this is a legit question?

I'd go with Cruz because of age, big play ability and upside.

Thoughts?

giantsfan420
01-26-2012, 05:47 PM
agreed. cruz seems like a much bigger big play threat. tho u cant go wrong with either really.

and welker seems to have a bit more shiftiness to his play although both have crazy good footwork.

cruz is the new school welker imo.

bLuereverie
01-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Two completely different players. I think it's unanimous in terms of who you'd prefer in skillset, but let's just hope that Cruz has the annual consistency of Welker.

Spizi
01-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Cruz is a Wide Receiver. Welker is a slot receiver. 2 dimensional vs 1 dimensional. Its and easy answer to any unbiased person.

GmenFan1980
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
I'll take the undrafted one :P

jparmer
01-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Honestly I would compare Welker to what we had in Steve Smith. He's a chain mover. He makes plays when they are needed and gets the yards u need. Cruz does this too. But what cruz brings that neither Welker or smith does is the big play ability and after the catch yardage.

I'm taking cruz all day

bflo23
01-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Here is a good way to judge WRs:

Wes Welker gets only 12.9 yards per catch and has 6.2 yards per YAC..... He is mostly getting like around 6 yard passes, short crossing routes or quick screen passes and turning up. He really isn't a big play WR at all. I know Brady is a dink and dunker but Welker is the king of dink and dunking WRs.

Victor Cruz gets a very high 18.7 yards per catch and has 7.4 yards per YAC..... He can take a short route, break a tackle and go for big yards and he could also go 40 yards deep and make a diving catch. Much better well rounder receiver. And it helps to be 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Welker.

ashleymarie
01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
No offense to Welker; he is a fine receiver. But I choose CRUZ.

Firenugget
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Can we have both? [:P]

swordfish
01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Both are fantastic players, can't go wrong with either one. Welker has been fantastic for many years, and to still play like he is playing after his knee injury just shows you how tough the kid is.

netplus
01-26-2012, 07:17 PM
I'll take Cruz's 18.7 yards/rec vs Welker's 12.9 yards/rec. A game changer.</P>

How many receivers can play the slot well, run excellent downfield routes,and also have great YAC? He is smart enough to avoid unnecessary hits too when playing the slot. Steve Smith was great in the slot, but couldn't run downfield routes and had no YAC.</P>

Voldamort
01-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Cruz and Welker are the best slot receiver's in the Nfl right now ,but age you would have to pick Cruz

Husky
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Brady would pick Welker, Eli would pick Cruz. They'd both be right. I hope Cruz has a comparable career.
Welker's stats, this season mirror, Calvin Johnson's. Cruz's numbers are off the chats for an UDFA or a #1 pick and his big play threat makes everyone better.

Ladder27
01-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Wes Welker gets only 12.9 yards per catch and has 6.2 yards per YAC..... He is mostly getting like around 6 yard passes, short crossing routes or quick screen passes and turning up. He really isn't a big play WR at all. I know Brady is a dink and dunker but Welker is the king of dink and dunking WRs.

Victor Cruz gets a very high 18.7 yards per catch and has 7.4 yards per YAC..... He can take a short route, break a tackle and go for big yards and he could also go 40 yards deep and make a diving catch. Much better well rounder receiver. And it helps to be 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Welker.

W. Welker

8 Rec

160 yards

2 TD

But he dont have big playablity... Cruz and Welker are the same. you have to remember Welker is the ONLY WR the Pats have other then TE. So everyone keys him then the TE.

Ladder27
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
So as for me and a slot WR Smith... Still love me some Cruz tho.

gmen0820
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Welker might be a bit better in the slot, but I don't think all of Cruz's potential lies in the slot, I think he would and will be a much better guy on the outside.

Cruz is a better receiver.

T-Murda84
01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Wes Welker is a slot receiver and only that, like it has been already said, he should be compared to Steve Smith more than Cruz. Its like comparing Jay Ratliff to Casey Hampton. I would still take Cruz tho, because of his been play ability on the Outside and Inside Slot as well....damn hes a playmaker. I would still love to have a Wes Welker type player tho, but I want it at the Tight End position. I want a Tight End that we can line up as a receiver.

gmen0820
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Simply put, I think Cruz can dominate a game, while Welker will just frustrate the living hell out of you.

bflo23
01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
W. Welker

8 Rec

160 yards

2 TD

But he dont have big playablity... Cruz and Welker are the same. you have to remember Welker is the ONLY WR the Pats have other then TE. So everyone keys him then the TE.

Of course Welker can make some big plays from short catch but anybody who has watched him knows that he is known for short catches and making yardage after catch. Look at the stats for yourself and it is showing that he is getting majority dink and dunk short catches. That is a big difference between Cruz and Welker. Both guys can take a short catch at times and go long but Cruz is much better at going deep. You showed stats from one game. I showed you stats from his entire season.

There is a reason why Welker has only 12.9 yards per catch.... And Cruz 18.7 yards per catch, Calvin Johnson 17.5, Larry Fitzgerald 17.6, Steve Smith 17.6........ Giants can use Cruz and get him +110 catches like Brady uses Welker with the short dink and dunks but that isn't using Cruz to his fullest potential.

Welker: 4.55 40-yard dash
Cruz: 4.47 40-yard dash

Fastest NYG: Prince Amukamara 4.37 40-yard dash

Giants10Joe
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
CRUUUUUUUUZZZZ

krygny
01-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Wes Welker is the best possession receiver ever. He defined the role. He is uncoverable. I'm just glad he's not in the NFC East because I'd hate to have to face him twice a year. He's a killer.

Welker has had, and continues to have a HoF career. Cruz has had a HoF year.

FlyingTruck
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Cruz. I fully believe Welker is just a product of the system. Just imo.

JMFP2
01-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Simply put, I think Cruz can dominate a game, while Welker will just frustrate the living hell out of you.</P>

Agreed.</P>

With Cruz, you have to worry about the entire field....he can take a 6 yard crossing route and bust one, or else run a post pattern on you.</P>

Welker is great, but you can give him that underneath stuff.</P>

bflo23
01-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Wes Welker is the best possession receiver ever. He defined the role. He is uncoverable. I'm just glad he's not in the NFC East because I'd hate to have to face him twice a year. He's a killer.

Welker has had, and continues to have a HoF career. Cruz has had a HoF year.

Are you being sarcastic when you say best possession receiver ever, "uncoverable", killer, HOF career?!.

After 8 years at age 30, he has only 7,226 career receiving yards and 32 TDs. He has a long way to go. There is a drastic drop off for majority of WRs after 30 years old. Look at Ocho Cinco, Randy Moss (retires at 32) and T.O. He has just a few years left and he will be declining. He needs about +5,000 more yards and +40 more TDs just to get in the discussion. If he does that, he only reaches Rod Smith and Muhsin Muhammad territory who aren't a hall of famers. I don't see it happening. In the rookie combine, he had a slow 4.55 40-yard dash so what do you think will happen just a couple years after 30 years old? Physically impossible to keep up. If your old and 6'5" and slow, you can lose speed and a team may take a chance on you. If you are old and 5'8" and your entire game is built on your quickness and you lost speed, very few teams would want you.

jparmer
01-27-2012, 05:58 AM

W. Welker

8 Rec

160 yards

2 TD

Cruz

3 catches for 110 and 2 tds

3 catches for 164 and a td

6 catches for 178 and a td

6 for 128 and a td

9 for 157 and 2 tds

I could go on but I think u get the point

bandwgn86
01-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Honestly I would compare Welker to what we had in Steve Smith. He's a chain mover. He makes plays when they are needed and gets the yards u need. Cruz does this too. But what cruz brings that neither Welker or smith does is the big play ability and after the catch yardage.

I'm taking cruz all dayDoesn't Welker own the record for longest td catch (99 yards) ?

It would be a tough decision but I think I'd lean towards Welker due to his experience.

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 08:13 AM
How crazy is it that this is a legit question?

I'd go with Cruz because of age, big play ability and upside.

Thoughts?

i think if anybody says Welker, then that Pats fan is lying to himself

nygsb42champs
01-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Nobody would have said in the begining of the year. Cruz has been outstanding and I would take him because he is faster than Welker.

BillTheGreek
01-27-2012, 08:26 AM
I would like both !

Marvelousmik
01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Two completely different players. I think it's unanimous in terms of who you'd prefer in skillset, but let's just hope that Cruz has the annual consistency of Welker.

the question was who would you rather have play the slot.

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Honestly I would compare Welker to what we had in Steve Smith. He's a chain mover. He makes plays when they are needed and gets the yards u need. Cruz does this too. But what cruz brings that neither Welker or smith does is the big play ability and after the catch yardage. I'm taking cruz all dayDoesn't Welker own the record for longest td catch (99 yards) ? It would be a tough decision but I think I'd lean towards Welker due to his experience.I do believe that cruz did the samething this year...[:O]

jparmer
01-27-2012, 10:22 AM

I'm taking cruz all dayDoesn't Welker own the record for longest td catch (99 yards) ?

It would be a tough decision but I think I'd lean towards Welker due to his experience.

Doesn't cruz own the record for longest touchdown catch (99 yards)?