PDA

View Full Version : Julian Edelman (WR) to cover Manningham / Cruz? Really?

AngryAZN
01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
So it appears that the PATS have been using Edelman, their 4/5th string WR as a CB. This guy was covering Boldin in the Championship game was picked on by Flacco.

They use this guy to cover the slot receiver and most of the matchup reports believe that he is not a capable DB and more so, he is a liability. I think we can expect the Giants to try to expliot this matchup.

I'm looking for Eli to go to Manningham or whoever is in the slot early and often.

Razur
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM
So it appears that the PATS have been using Edelman, their 4/5th string WR as a CB. This guy was covering Boldin in the Championship game was picked on by Flacco.

They use this guy to cover the slot receiver and most of the matchup reports believe that he is not a capable DB and more so, he is a liability.

And.......why do we care???

MikeIsaGiant
01-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Good I hope Eli torches him

NJ10
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
If he covers Cruz, New England is in big trouble. Even if its Manningham its still a big mismatch. I cant wait to see what the Pats will do. Not way they can cover our 3 WR's. Belicheck has two weeks though, im sure he will have a plan.

MikeIsaGiant
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe Hernandez will play CB

b_ELI_eve
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM

They use this guy to cover the slot receiver and most of the matchup reports believe that he is not a capable DB and more so, he is a liability.

What a ******ed post. Quit trying to be an jerk

Spedracer
01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
I heard if Vince Wilfork needs a breather they put Julian Edelman in at NT. He's a high motor type. Can't stop his bull rush.

Voldamort
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I see Edelman,not playing this week in passcoverage Cruz,Nicks and Manningham who is he going to match up with???

ELIteManning
01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
"I heard if Vince Wilfork needs a breather they put Julian Edelman in at NT. He's a high motor type. Can't stop his bull rush."

He will probably just crawl through Baas' legs.

nygsb42champs
01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
There is no way he can cover any of our WR's.

NYG4ME
01-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice Matchup for us if hes out there, no matter who he is covering.

CDN_G-FAN
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
we'll see more zone than m-t-m in this game.

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Maybe BB has faith in him for a reason. Can you really imagine BB making just a flat out stupid mistake, or is there possibly some reasoning behind it?

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

i don't understand a response like that when somebody is talking about something that has to do with our opponent is in THE SUPERBOWL.

But I care because if they do try throwing Edelman on Cruz like they did when they put him on Boldin last week, it would be a HUUUGE advantage for us

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 11:44 AM

uhg

if the oline holds up we should pick em apart

Giantsin04
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe BB has faith in him for a reason.* Can you really imagine BB making just a flat out stupid mistake, or is there possibly some reasoning behind it?

BB the coach has no choice but to have faith in him because BB the GM failed miserably to build a secondary.

CDN_G-FAN
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM

uhg

</P>

you're right.</P>

Wilfork is the difference in this game between a win and a potential loss.</P>

our interior line just has to elevate their game. if we can't take care of him like we have in the last 2 games, this one will be really tough to win. and we can't just commit more bodies to the interior line. the guys that are there have to do their jobs.</P>

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 12:03 PM

uhg

</p>

you're right.</p>

Wilfork is the difference in this game between a win and a potential loss.</p>

our interior line just has to elevate their game. if we can't take care of him like we have in the last 2 games, this one will be really tough to win. and we can't just commit more bodies to the interior line. the guys that are there have to do their jobs.</p>

is it bad to hope that Baas starts getting headaches again?

Patriot 37
01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
<FONT size=2>The Pats CBs don't match up with WRs they play either Left or right. Edelman has only been playing in the dime. The only other player whose sometimes plays in the slot (in the dime) is D. Jones. Either way it's a problem. </FONT></P>

<FONT size=2>Your WRs vs. our CBs is a huge mismatch. We really almost never play man we tried it at the begining of the year and everyone was throwing for 350 yards against us.</FONT></P>

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 12:21 PM
<font size="2">The Pats CBs don't match up with WRs they play either Left or right. Edelman has only been playing in the dime. The only other player whose sometimes plays in the slot (in the dime) is D. Jones. Either way it's a problem. </font></p>

<font size="2">Your WRs vs. our CBs is a huge mismatch. We really almost never play man we tried it at the begining of the year and everyone was throwing for 350 yards against us.</font></p>

well I can't speak on anything except Boldin was split out left one play and then went to the right slot right after the play and Edelman was on him both times

wouldn't that poke at that point?

I think BB changes coverages all the time

Razur
01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

i don't understand a response like that when somebody is talking about something that has to do with our opponent is in THE SUPERBOWL.

But I care because if they do try throwing Edelman on Cruz like they did when they put him on Boldin last week, it would be a HUUUGE advantage for us

Ok. I read that like it was..."why would the Pats use an unqualified defender"... if you look at my " quote" you'll see the OP.. copied and pasted exactly as it was written...it was edited either as a reply to my comment.. or caught by the poster after the fact...You misunderstood my reply just as I misunderstood the OP...

giantpride84
01-27-2012, 12:28 PM
if edelman covers cruz this game cruz will be the SB MVP

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 12:29 PM

Ok. I read that like it was..."why would the Pats use an unqualified defender"... if you look at my " quote" you'll see the OP.. copied and pasted exactly as it was written...it was edited either as a reply to my comment.. or caught by the poster after the fact...You misunderstood my reply just as I misunderstood the OP...

fair enough

KillaRich
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Umm are the giants NOT playing the PATS in the superbowl??? what am I missing here?

Razur
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Umm are the giants NOT playing the PATS in the superbowl??? what am I missing here?

How about the post right above yours for starters?

BigBlue D
01-27-2012, 12:42 PM

+1

KillaRich
01-27-2012, 01:06 PM

How about the post right above yours for starters?

I did I really dont understand what you meant or how you were trying to find a cop out? Even if he did say "Why would Pats use an unqualified WR" Its still something i would care about

Patriot 37
01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
<FONT size=1>Their outside guys Arrington on the Right and McCourty on the left (when he's playing CB) don't ever switch sides or stick with one WR all of the field. I wrote that because a it was mentioned who is going to cover Cruz. It depends where he lines upand what the D the Pats are in.</FONT></P>

GameTime
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Their outside guys Arrington on the Right and McCourty on the left (when he's playing CB) don't ever switch sides or stick with one WR all of the field. I wrote that because a it was mentioned who is going to cover Cruz. It depends where he lines upand what the D the Pats are in.</P>

</P>

Does Edlemen usually cover the slot WR????</P>

jomo
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
I see Edelman,not playing this week in passcoverage Cruz,Nicks and Manningham who is he going to match up with???He might match up with Ballard, Jacobs or Pascoe but then we have a size advantage.

Ruttiger711
01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Dont forget hehandles punt returns too... he fumbled one in the first matchup. </P>

giantsfan420
01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
i saw the pats fan say NE doesnt play m2m and i disagree. i remember our first matchup this season NE ran a bunch of m2m looks. it led to eli having that big 4th quarter game winning drive running play. also, eli had said NE was running the 2 deep safety all game and they didnt throw that seam route to ballard until late and that was a m2m coverage too.

m2m or zone, aint no way NE can keep up with our wr's. even SF, arguably the premier defense, couldnt cover our guys especially cruz in the first half. the 2nd half they made adjustments and just decided to bring much more pressure and our OL couldnt get the footing to give eli the needed time.

IF they put eddleman on cruz, i expect cruz to have like a 15 catch, 200 yd 2 td game. even if its some one else i still expect cruz to go off.

remember, we didnt have nicks in the week 9 game and mccourty was covering cruz and even he had virtually no chance.

nicks, cruz, or MM...don't really matter bc we got eli throwing it. whoever gets open, thats who gets the ball. now NE will have serious problems if more than 1 guy is getting open continually.

Drez
01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
So it appears that the PATS have been using Edelman, their 4/5th string WR as a CB. This guy was covering Boldin in the Championship game was picked on by Flacco. They use this guy to cover the slot receiver and most of the matchup reports believe that he is not a capable DB and more so, he is a liability. And.......why do we care???

</P>

Maybe Razur got hit on the head and thinks we still haven't played SF yet.</P>

G-Man67
01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
what i take from this is that Belichick can do whatever he wants ... he reached that point where he feels like nobody can criticize anything he does

i'm going to take a different angle on this ... Edelman's main job is to return punts ... if he is out their playing DB and playing RB and playing WR, he might just be a little winded when he goes to return a punt .... FUMBLE??? ... i predicted a fumble or muff from Ginn's backup and got both ... so i'm calling for an Edelman fumble !!!

ELIteManning
01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
i saw the pats fan say NE doesnt play m2m and i disagree. i remember our first matchup this season NE ran a bunch of m2m looks. it led to eli having that big 4th quarter game winning drive running play. also, eli had said NE was running the 2 deep safety all game and they didnt throw that seam route to ballard until late and that was a m2m coverage too..

Agreed...our game earlier this year against them I remember a lot of m2m with 2 safeties deep. Perhaps this isn't what they typically do but that is how they played us last time.

Patriot 37
01-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Their outside guys Arrington on the Right and McCourty on the left (when he's playing CB) don't ever switch sides or stick with one WR all of the field. I wrote that because a it was mentioned who is going to cover Cruz. It depends where he lines upand what the D the Pats are in.</P>

</P>

Does Edlemen usually cover the slot WR????</P> Yes, they have never lined him up on the outside.

Patriot 37
01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
I see Edelman,not playing this week in passcoverage Cruz,Nicks and Manningham who is he going to match up with???He might match up with Ballard, Jacobs or Pascoe but then we have a size advantage.</P>

</P>

Probably would not be in the game if the Giants had Ballard/Pascoe at TE. Maybe with Beckham.</P>

Lately their nickel has ussually been putting Chung or James O. in the slot and McCourty at S. This is the first time he have played an elite QB since week 9.Very difficult to know what they are going to do. The last 2 weeks was about stopping the run might not be the same units.</P>

KillaRich
01-31-2012, 03:01 AM
I see Edelman,not playing this week in passcoverage Cruz,Nicks and Manningham who is he going to match up with???He might match up with Ballard, Jacobs or Pascoe but then we have a size advantage.</P>

</P>

Probably would not be in the game if the Giants had Ballard/Pascoe at TE. Maybe with Beckham.</P>

Lately their nickel has ussually been putting Chung or James O. in the slot and McCourty at S. This is the first time he have played an elite QB since week 9.Very difficult to know what they are going to do. The last 2 weeks was about stopping the run might not be the same units.</P>

</P>

</P>

How times have changed..... Someone else calling Eli and ELITE QB.... Especially from a Pats fan with probably the best QB ever... Another reason Eli haters should shut it</P>

foosball
01-31-2012, 04:49 AM
I just hope that the Giants take him seriously and wipe him out.