PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's take on ELI's rank among players

Gmen DLS
01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome everyone,
Long long time reader, first time posting.

I had to share this since I have not seen anyone post yet.
Eli did not make list of top 100 last year. I say with a SB win he should be in top 10 if not top 5.

New York's Finest QB (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/10spot-superbowl/eli-manning-makes-case-new-york-finest--adam-schefter-10-spot)

giantsfan420
01-27-2012, 12:28 PM
all that doesnt really matter. the top 100 player thing was completely flawed anyways in the voting process.

to me, eli is THE BEST qb the giants could have out of any qb playing. to me, eli is most def. not only a top 5 qb, but player as well. the guts, toughness, determination, and ability to claw and scratch for wins is unmatched.

the players who voted for the top 100 all already know they have egg on their face. no one can deny just how special a player eli is.

i found this stat interesting, it isn't a brady or peyton, a unitas or mariono. its eli;
Manning is the first quarterback in the Super Bowl era to have three games in one postseason with 275-plus passing yards and more than two touchdowns. He outlasted Aaron Rodgers. Now he tries to outshine all the New York quarterbacks.

FBomb
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Eli may not be "The Best" (I would like to revisit this subject after we no longer have Eli)....but he is the toughest QB in the game.</P>

nygsb42champs
01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Welcome aboard.

DragonSoul
01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome everyone,

Eli did not make list of top 100 last year. I say with a SB win he should be in top 10 if not top 5.

New York's Finest QB (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/10spot-superbowl/eli-manning-makes-case-new-york-finest--adam-schefter-10-spot)Welcome, Hugh and the host hit it out of the park. Skip and Rob make some points but then nix themselves with some other things they say.

Trent dilfer and Brad Johnson are not in the same breath as nearly all other super bowl winning QBS just read Bill Bilicks recent nfl article. I forgot that the ravens won even when they didn't score in 4 games.

Marvelousmik
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Eli may not be "The Best" (I would like to revisit this subject after we no longer have Eli)....but he is the toughest QB in the game.</p>

+1

im at the point where when eli gets hit, i dont worry about him getting hurt anymore. im just hoping he doesnt fumble. I feel confident that he will always get back up like a boss. in a perfect world id like it if he doesnt get hit at all though

MattMeyerBud
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Welcome everyone,

New York's Finest QB (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/10spot-superbowl/eli-manning-makes-case-new-york-finest--adam-schefter-10-spot)

that list also ha dmcnabb on it...

it was a popularity contest of the player not an actual top 100 players in the league

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Welcome everyone, Long long time reader, first time posting. I had to share this since I have not seen anyone post yet. Eli did not make list of top 100 last year. I say with a SB win he should be in top 10 if not top 5. New York's Finest QB (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/page/10spot-superbowl/eli-manning-makes-case-new-york-finest--adam-schefter-10-spot)

it was a popularity contest of the player not an actual top 100 players in the league
</P>

Same players that voted TC the coach they'd <U>least</U> likely want to play for? Geniuses.</P>

bigblue58
01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Welcome everyone,

Dude...why do you even listen to ESPN?
In the last week alone they have judged Eli harshly as a QB for the following faults:

He gives boring interviews!
He has failed to do as many commercials as Peyton!
He has never been on Saturday Night Live!
His bad body language on the field!
His body language on the sideline!
His body language in the postgame interview!

And just this morning:
Is Eli more likeable than Tom Brady?

I made NONE of that up by the way....those were all actuall debate topics and comments from ESPN First Take!

bklyn1028
01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeah, well guess what, ESPN last night said a bunch of married women were interviewed and if they could have an affair with either Brady, or Eli, ......
you got it
The majority said ELI.........woo hooo
boyish good looks....damn......sounds like i'm still on the 49ers board.......

Gmen DLS
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm with you here. ESPN has it out for Eli and the Giants. But that is the reason for this post, they all seem to have no choice but to finally give Eli some credit. Us Giants' fans do not need to be told where he ranks.

bklyn1028
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
That's terrible. The kid played his heart out, that game and others. Strahan said after they won the superbowl, that the team in the beginning of the year didn't have any respect or something like that for Eli. But week 3 or 4, he hurt his shoulder, and was told he would be our 5-6 weeks. Strahan said he played the next Sunday, and everyone changed their attitude on him. "he's a tough kid".

I don't think there's ever been a QB in the NFL under the media / kid brother pressure he had to endure. He made his name, and I for one think he's every bit as good as Peyton, maybe better.
How about them apples.

krygny
01-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Eli may not be "The Best" (I would like to revisit this subject after we no longer have Eli)....but he is the toughest QB in the game.
He may be the smartest too. Roethlisberger is tough but he's a meathead.

FBomb
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Eli may not be "The Best" (I would like to revisit this subject after we no longer have Eli)....but he is the toughest QB in the game.
He may be the smartest too. Roethlisberger is tough but he's a meathead.

</P>

this</P>

SweetZombieJesus
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
The idiot who wrote the article doesn't know Giants history, completely missed YA Tittle.

BigBlue D
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
I know this is off topic, but what is the bar under everyone's avatar indicate? In some cases like Bud it is fully green, some people have one or two bars, and some don't have any. Thanks!

Drez
01-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Not trying to single you out, because almost everyone does this, but can people stop saying, "ESPN said this," or, "ESPN said that."</P>

ESPN didn't say it. </P>

One of their employees did. In this case it was Adam Schefter. (This should be differntiated from saying, I read/heard on ESPN).</P>

But, now that I've gotten that off my chest, lol, it was a nice little article. I read it earlier this morning.</P>

Drez
01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
I know this is off topic, but what is the bar under everyone's avatar indicate? In some cases like Bud it is fully green, some people have one or two bars, and some don't have any. Thanks!

</P>

It has to do with post count. You get bars filled when you hit certain posting milestones... Not too sure exactly what they are, though.</P>

stormblue
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
The idiot who wrote the article doesn't know Giants history, completely missed YA Tittle.

i never understood all the hoopla over this guy.he came here after 3 years as a Colt and 10 years as a 49er.
he never won a championship and only played for the giants at the end of his career,
from '61 to '64.
he even went into the Hall Of Fame as a Giant even though he was only a Giant 4 of his 17 years (the last 4).
i don't get it, never have ,never will.

might as well make Montana a KC Chief.
or better yet lets make Johnny Unitas a San Diego Charger.

or maybe Kurt Warner as a Giant , he hung out around here for a little while.

stormin normand
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
LMAO at some of those picked ahead of Eli even before this season

DragonSoul
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Welcome everyone,

it was the players pop contest like the pro bowl.

BigBlue D
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM

</p>

It has to do with post count. You get bars filled when you hit certain posting milestones... Not too sure exactly what they are, though.</p>
Ohh ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Kruunch
01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome everyone,

Just shows how useless "rankings" are.

Eli throws 20 picks next year and the Giants go 9-7 and miss the play offs, Eli will be off the lists again.

You could make a good case last year that Eli wasn't a top 5 QB, having Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Roflberger on that list all of which were prolific Super Bowl winning QBs.

Some said Eli wasn't top 10 (including on these boards) which was ridiculous given his body of work.

This year he's been a top 4 QB (Brady, Brees and Rodgers being the only other comparable QBs imo). While Eli also has the stats throwing for nearly 5k yards, I think his biggest QB quality has been his 4th quarter play which he's distinguished himself even above Brady.

bigblue58
01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Welcome everyone,

Just shows how useless "rankings" are.

Eli throws 20 picks next year and the Giants go 9-7 and miss the play offs, Eli will be off the lists again.

You could make a good case last year that Eli wasn't a top 5 QB, having Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Roflberger on that list all of which were prolific Super Bowl winning QBs.

Some said Eli wasn't top 10 (including on these boards) which was ridiculous given his body of work.

This year he's been a top 4 QB (Brady, Brees and Rodgers being the only other comparable QBs imo). While Eli also has the stats throwing for nearly 5k yards, I think his biggest QB quality has been his 4th quarter play which he's distinguished himself even above Brady.

Lets clear something up right now that keeps bugging the hell out of me.... and keeps getting overlooked:
If Eli can't be considered top 5 last season based solely on his 25 picks( because his TD's and yds were comparable to top QB's) then Drew Brees can't be considered top 5 either, because Brees had 22 picks last season!

GCGiant
01-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Hopefully after this year the name "Trent Dilfer" will appear rarely on this board.

FBomb
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM

</P>

Penis size</P>

jerseyrattler
01-28-2012, 11:42 AM

</P>

Penis size</P>

</P>

lmao !!!!!</P>

just passed coffee and a Ham, egg &amp; cheese sandwich thru my nose !!!!</P>