PDA

View Full Version : Gronkowski has "High Ankle Sprain"

bigbluegmenfan
01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Probably not suprising to most if not all of you.

Looks like he will play..but not sure how effective. Didnt this same injury keep OSI out for a while this year?

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/post/Gronks-dad-says-son-has-high-ankle-sprai?blockID=639566&feedID=3352&awid=9013106070790501903-932

The father of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski says his son has a "high ankle sprain" and that he expects him to play in next Sunday's Super Bowl.

In a conversation with television station WIVB in Western New York, Gordie Gronkowski said, "I wake up every morning, and I can't believe what's happening. I pick up the New York Times, and here Robbie's in the New York Times, hes got a half page in the New York Times. I pick up our paper and Robbie's picture is here and there. I turn on ESPN, he's all over ESPN Sports Center."

The elder Gronkowski also told WIVB sports reporter John Murphy off camera that his son suffered a high ankle sprain.

nygsb42champs
01-27-2012, 11:35 AM
High ankle sprains are tough to deal with. Even if he is able to play I cant believe that he would be at 100%.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-27-2012, 11:36 AM
He will be playing and he'll still be a force, however he won't have a lot of his power and speed and he probably wont be able to make plants and cuts to the left side.

CDN_G-FAN
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
he'll play and he'll be a huge contributing factor to this game.</P>

Just like nicks will despite his shoulder injury.</P>

Vtgmenfan89
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
We'll still have to deal with his sheer power and size, but if we can bump him at the line and **** up his route running we can definitely contain him. His cuts are not going to be sound at all so we gotta throw him off even more

GameTime
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM

</P>

I agree...he has nothing toheal up for. Win or lose the season is over.....</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
It's the Super Bowl. Only way they don't play is if their leg falls off.

Pakman
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Looks like he will play..but not sure how effective. Didnt this same injury keep OSI out for a while this year?

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/post/Gronks-dad-says-son-has-high-ankle-sprai?blockID=639566&feedID=3352&awid=9013106070790501903-932

The father of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski says his son has a "high ankle sprain" and that he expects him to play in next Sunday's Super Bowl.

In a conversation with television station WIVB in Western New York, Gordie Gronkowski said, "I wake up every morning, and I can't believe what's happening. I pick up the New York Times, and here Robbie's in the New York Times, hes got a half page in the New York Times. I pick up our paper and Robbie's picture is here and there. I turn on ESPN, he's all over ESPN Sports Center."

The elder Gronkowski also told WIVB sports reporter John Murphy off camera that his son suffered a high ankle sprain.

pjam84
01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

i highly doubt that. have you ever had a high ankle sprain? if it's as bad as it sounds, i'm certain he won't be much of a factor. if anything, the guy is just gonna go out on the field to demand coverage...and because it's the super bowl.

who knows though? he might not even play. but if he does, i'll be shocked if he makes much of an impact.

Pakman
01-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Well until Gronks baby momma says something...I'm not believing it

bigbluegmenfan
01-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Thank You Pakman..was trying to get the link to work.

Pakman
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Thank You Pakman..was trying to get the link to work.

No problem

CDN_G-FAN
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

i highly doubt that. have you ever had a high ankle sprain? if it's as bad as it sounds, i'm certain he won't be much of a factor. if anything, the guy is just gonna go out on the field to demand coverage...and because it's the super bowl. who knows though? he might not even play. but if he does, i'll be shocked if he makes much of an impact.</P>

i've had a dislocated shoulder, and i could make the identical argument for Nicks.</P>

all these guys will be ready to play. </P>

NJ10
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
If it is a High Ankle, That is a big break for us. No way that thing
will be 100% game time. Im sure they will shoot him up, but he will not
be nearly effective

BillTheGreek
01-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Don't believe the Patsies one bit, Theres nothing wrong with Gronkowski, he will be off and running like a deer! STOP HIM

RonJon
01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
T.O. played with that same injury in the Super Bowl and had a great game. Depends on the pain tolerance level of the individual

Gianthunter
01-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Just like nicks will despite his shoulder injury.</P>4 years ago people were positive Plax would be ineffective.

Pakman
01-27-2012, 11:53 AM
T.O. played with that same injury in the Super Bowl and had a great game. Depends on the pain tolerance level of the individual

T.O didn't play for like 4 weeks though

Pakman
01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Actually it was almost 6 weeks

CDN_G-FAN
01-27-2012, 11:56 AM

4 years ago people were positive Plax would be ineffective.</P>

exactly.</P>

this 'oh, he's hurt, he won't be able to contribute' stuff may be true when we're playing the Rams or Jaguars in a near mean nothing regular season game.</P>

for some of these guys, this has been their goal for 20+ years of their lives.</P>

if they can walk they'll all be ready.</P>

pjam84
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
i actually think this is looking really bad for the patriots. and i say that not just as a giants fan. lets face it, their offense is very limited.

tom brady has carried the team. it doesn't hurt that the two tight ends have played out of their minds; getting them to the super bowl despite all of the teams deficiencies. not to take anything away from their accomplishments, but they clearly benefited from a weak schedule, and a weak afc. they managed to get home field advantage in the playoffs without even defeating a team with a winning record. then they get to play an 8-8 team with an incompetent quarterback at home, and a home game against a, in my opinion, "pretty good" ravens team, who also had a pretty smooth road to the championship.

what i'm trying to say, is the patriots have a very limited team on both sides of the ball. they managed to get in the bowl because of a weak afc. besides tom terrific, gronkowski has really played a key role in keeping that team afloat, and without him being healthy, it will greatly decreases their chances of winning this game.

anything can happen in a football game. especially when you have tom brady and bill bellicheck. so obviously there are no guarantees, but the more i think about this match-up, the more i think the giants might win in a blowout. i just want to win, but how nice would it be to have a relaxing dominating super bowl win after a season where just about every game came down to the last couple minutes. it would be very fitting.

BlueSanta
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
If any of you choose to believe 1 word of the Pats injury report, well then.... I hope you arent a Giants coach.

I'll say it again...no team in the NFL manipulates and uses deception through their injury report more than the Pats.

Tom Brady was questionable for a ton of games this year. I believe he was day to day for like the entire season. Reporters just stopped caring to report it because they knew he was fine despite the report. Welker was a "game time decision" a few times too. Musta been a tough decision to play him I guess, <font color="#FF0000">you can tell he was been injured because he only plays every offensive snap</font>.

pjam84
01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
If any of you choose to believe 1 word of the Pats injury report, well then.... I hope you arent a Giants coach.

I'll say it again...no team in the NFL manipulates and uses deception through their injury report more than the Pats.

Tom Brady was questionable for a ton* of games this year. I believe he was day to day for like the entire season. Reporters just stopped caring to report it because they knew he was fine despite the report.

haha. this didn't happen in practice. anyone who watched the afc championship saw the injury happen. it looked bad, and he came out of the game. this is not a strategy the pats are using. the guy is hurt.

that said, no, i'm not a giants coach. and if i was, i would choose to gameplan for gronkowski as if he was 100%. and that's exactly what the giants coaches are doing. i'm certain of that. so we're all good.

Razur
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
We'll still have to deal with his sheer power and size, but if we can bump him at the line and **** up his route running we can definitely contain him. His cuts are not going to be sound at all so we gotta throw him off even more

RIGHT ! his ankle may be sore...but his hands are fine..and if he short routes us all day..Bardy will use him often

Denaliman316
01-27-2012, 12:20 PM
High ankle sprains are a month minimum. Freeman on CBS Sports said a few days ago in his SB preview column he had doubts he would play. I know everyone says "Well it's the SB." yeah but if he's ineffective because of it his ankle he's risking a turnover. Say Brady throws on a route leading him except the timing is off because hes slowed because of it and one of our guys steps in front and takes it to the house.

Also the kids young why risk permanently damaging his ankle this early in his career? Hernandez is no slouch, neither is Welker or Branch.

bflo23
01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I said when it happened that I thought it was serious ankle sprain and it appears to be that I was right. Just watching the play, it is surprising that he didn't break his ankle. Of the 3 ankle sprains (inversion, eversion and high ankle sprain), Gronk had the worst and most painful sprain. He will probably play but he is in extreme pain just walking and 2 weeks isn't enough to heal. I don't see him being much of a factor. We saw Ben Rothlesberg have a high ankle sprain this year and he could barely step up in the pocket and throw. He was turned into a statue. Read the bottom.

High Ankle Sprains</p>

In the high ankle sprain, however, a different set of ligaments is
injured, called the “syndesmosis” (pronounced SIN-des-MOE-sis).The
syndesmosis is a set of ligaments that is located above the ankle
joint.The syndesmosis lies between the tibia and fibula and holds these
two bones together. In normal walking, with each step, the tibia and
fibula are exposed to high forces that act to spread the tibia and
fibula apart.The syndesmosis acts as a shock absorber between the tibia
and fibula and prevents the bones from splaying. Thus, with walking,
the syndesmosis is exposed to high forces; with running, even higher
forces; and with running and cutting, even higher forces still.When the
syndesmosis is sprained, every step can be painful.What can
be more frustrating for athletes and coaches is that the high ankle
sprain does not typically cause a great degree of swelling or bruising
locally, and generally does not “look that bad,” making it more
difficult to understand the severity of the injury and importance of
rest and rehab necessary for complete healing.Unfortunately, no type of
bracing has been shown to treat or prevent these high ankle sprains.</p>

High ankle sprains occur from sudden twisting injuries, which occur
commonly in contact and cutting sports.Athletes will typically say the
pain radiates up the leg from the ankle, and is worse with cutting
motions that mimic the original twisting injury.The high ankle sprain
is typically treated with the same treatment principles as for the
common ankle sprain: Rest, ice, compression, and elevation – the RICE
protocol.However, since the syndesmosis is subjected to such high
forces with each step, the amount of rest needed tends to be longer than
for the common ankle sprain – nearly twice as long in most studies.If
the ligament is severely sprained, or even torn, a screw is sometimes
placed between the tibia and fibula to hold the two bones together to
allow for the ligament to scar and heal.<font size="5">Athletes will typically return
to play within 6 weeks, but about half will experience symptoms for up
to 6 months.</font></p>http://www.hss.edu/conditions_high-ankle-sprain-whats-different.asp

giantcarll
01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Well if it is a high ankle sprain the wear and tear of it playing will probably do him in.I dont see him playing the whole game .You know the Giants will go after it when they tackle him.

nycisgreat
01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Hog wash Mularki! Bill Belichik is absolutely insane. This doesn't make sense at all. Bill's dirty tricks. Doesn't he realize the guy coaching the other team is Coughlin. I haven't heard any NFL player parents putting that kind of information out there just before a big playoff game/superbowl season game before. Now I am convinced honor will defeat deceit.

TuckYou
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah, if it was a grade 1 sprain, high ankle sprain, being tough wont matter. That will limit him extremely on the field to the point he might just be a decoy. I had an injury kinda like that, except I put all my weight on it and rolled it to the inside. Ligament damage. Couldnt run for about 2 months. Still not 100% and it has been almost a year. Once the ligaments are stretched and their is scar tissue built up, it doesnt go away with shots or pills. It is tough to run on, yet alone twist and run routes with people tackling you. It is weakened big time. </P>

This is of course, if it is a grade 1 high ankle sprain.</P>

bflo23
Just because Gronk plays, it doesn't mean he is fine. He could be 20% or lower and the Patriots will still throw him out on the field. And just because he is 6'6", it doesn't mean that he doesn't speed to run his routes. 6'6" doesn't help if he is moving like a turtle. I don't see him busting tackles with a blown tire. I expect the Giants to be real physical with him at the line and even tackling him by his ankle.

Go Giants!

How upset is Belichick that Gronk's father let out the news that it was a more severe high ankle sprain? LOL! We all know how Belichick wants to keep quiet all his injuries.

nycisgreat
The guy is playing no question about it.

bflo23
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM

we know that but at what percent? very low percent considering it is a high ankle sprain and watching the nasty tackle last week.

fletch842
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM
as others have said, with our coaching staff, the team will prepare as if Gronk is playing at 100%. If he doesn't play, or is not quite healthy, that much better, but we'll be prepared for him one way or another.

NJ10
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Possible Belicheck had Gronk's Dad put this out there and his ankle is really fine???
I would not put it past him.

BlueBlitzer
01-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I cannot imagine Gronk going deep. 3rd and short maybe, but 3rd and long ? or any down and long. KP and Rolle will be blanketing Him. Brady will be looking for Hernandez

RonJon
01-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Beware of kevin Faulk out of the backfield as a reciever, especially if Gronk is limited. He was quite effective against us in the 08 Super Bowl and would be an effective weapon as a hot read on blitzes

jhamburg
01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
High ankle sprains are a month minimum. Freeman on CBS Sports said a few days ago in his SB preview column he had doubts he would play. I know everyone says "Well it's the SB." yeah but if he's ineffective because of it his ankle he's risking a turnover. Say Brady throws on a route leading him except the timing is off because hes slowed because of it and one of our guys steps in front and takes it to the house.

Also the kids young why risk permanently damaging his ankle this early in his career? Hernandez is no slouch, neither is Welker or Branch.

I'd say Branch is a slouch. Not afraid of him.

bansaw
01-27-2012, 01:15 PM
thats what they have needles, sprays and oxycodone for

GameTime
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
if Brady has too much time to throw it doesn matter who will be running toutes. He will hit them and hit them often. </P>

With that said there is no way Gronkowski doesnt play and contribute. At the very least he will draw attention on every play he is on the field for....</P>

G-Man67
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Phil Simms had a high ankle sprain in our 2nd Super Bowl year ... he got injured Week 10 and was done for the year

obviously not all high ankle sprains are created equal and Gronk is younger and stronger than Simms was, but i can't see him being able to play at his very best with that kind of injury

Kruunch
01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I would never believe an injury report or any Patriot player saying anything about an injury .... ever.

However if Gronk really does have a high ankle sprain, he'll be a possession receiver with no YAC at best.

Also bodes well for our pass rush.

BillTheGreek
01-27-2012, 02:23 PM

Tom Brady was questionable for a ton* of games this year. I believe he was day to day for like the entire season. Reporters just stopped caring to report it because they knew he was fine despite the report. Welker was a "game time decision" a few times too. Musta been a tough decision to play him I guess, <font color="#FF0000">you can tell he was been injured because he only plays every offensive snap</font>.

TRUE ! TRUE !
Gronkowski's got nothing wrong with him, he would not miss this game even if his leg was broken ! This is the Super Bowl ! I think it's all BS to try to confuse the Giants, So he does not get good coverage.... Tom Coughlin is to smart to fall for this. Don't believe the Patsies one bit ! They will pass to him all Day !
STOP Gronkowski.....

JJC7301
01-27-2012, 02:30 PM

</P>

I agree...he has nothing toheal up for. Win or lose the season is over.....</P>

</P>

I'm not counting on him being slow. I expect him to play as if he is 100%.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-27-2012, 02:31 PM

we know that but at what percent? very low percent considering it is a high ankle sprain and watching the nasty tackle last week.
</P>

at what percentage do we put Nicks at? He left the game against the 49ers, got checked out in the locker room, came back and had 1 reception the rest of the game.</P>

he didn't look anything like himself the rest of the game.</P>

there's alot of focus on Gronk right now.</P>

he was the only patriot missing at practice.</P>

we had 7 guys sit out.</P>

bflo23
01-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Prop Bet: Super Bowl MVP

Gronk is still 3rd favorite as the MVP.... Only behind Brady and Eli.

BillTheGreek
01-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Prop Bet: Super Bowl MVP

Gronk is still 3rd favorite as the MVP.... Only behind Brady and Eli.

I think it will be Bradshaw or Cruz

bflo23
01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
I think it will be Bradshaw or Cruz

Well these are the same people that put Packers 8.5 points favorite, 49ers 3 points favorite and the all-time classic "Patriots 14 points favorite in the 2008 SB".

A guy with a severe ankle sprain hopping on one foot is more "dangerous" than Nicks, Cruz or Bradshaw. How about JPP? He could go on one of his monster defense games and get 2 or 3 sacks, forced fumble, etc.

calzonesays
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
you gotta understand how the props and betting in general works.

the lines and props aren't a prediction of what is going to happen, it's simply just a number that draws action from both sides. so the over/under for Gronk props aren't a prediction

bflo23
01-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Yea. The predictors are just trying to pick a line that will get 50% on one side and 50% on the other side so that vegas always make money on the juice. When the line is moving a point and a half like in the 2008 Super Bowl (14 to 12.5) or just in the Packers (8.5 to 7), the public is betting really heavily on the Giants. The predictors got it wrong and vegas loses a lot of money from some games where the public hit one team and they happen to win. Vegas got it wrong and really underestimated the Giants on pretty much every single betting line and definitely futures. 80-1 should have never happened any part of this season? Giants win and they will lose BIG. Look at the link.

<h1 class="entry-title"><font size="5">Las Vegas Loses when the NY GiantsWin</font> (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/sports/football/on-a-futures-bet-las-vegas-loses-if-the-giants-win.html)</h1>
"Kornegay added: “Even at the start of the playoffs we had them at 30 to 1 to win the Super Bowl. They had a very hard road." &lt;------ they really underestimated the Giants

GMENAGAIN
01-27-2012, 07:39 PM
He will definitely be limited . . . just a matter of how much

RedskinHater
01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
First of all you have to go with Gronk playing and prepare for it as I am sure Coughlin et. al are. I would not trust the Patriots under Belichick nor for that matter anyone heading into the SB.
Secondly- IF it is a true high ankle sprain G will not play or be so limited as to be a detriment to the Pats. I had one years ago and was on major pain killers, crutches, and a wheelchair for weeks. I have had broken legs, a gashed in eye, messed up rotator cuffs etc. and believe me the sprain was BY FAR - the worst pain of my life.

bflo23
01-27-2012, 07:58 PM
It is definitely a high ankle sprain. Most of the sprains that people get are the inversion sprain that you get playing basketball and you roll your ankle. I got those. I never had an eversion which is just twisting the other way. If you saw Gronk tackle, he didn't roll his ankle or had eversion. His foot was bent sideways when Pollard fell on it..... I bet his father was told that it was a high ankle sprain but he didn't know there were differences in sprains and he spoke without realizing how much info he is giving. Belichick must have been flipping out. Link shows you the twists in the sprains.

<font color="#0000FF" size="6">Pictures of ankle sprains</font> (http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS06RiNPOl8Aa7KJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cn MybzJvBHNsawNpbWc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhigh%2Bankle%2Bsprain%26fr%3Dchr-greentree_ff%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D39&amp;w=342&amp;h=504&amp;imgurl=w ww.rehabanklesprain.com%2FImagesrh%2Ftypes-ankle-sprain.jpg&amp;rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rehabanklesprain. com%2Fanklesprains.aspx&amp;size=45+KB&amp;name=Ankle+Spra ins+-+Grade+I%2C+II%2C+III%2C+etc.+The+Different+Types+ and+...&amp;p=high+ankle+sprain&amp;oid=1244f717a8ced2aca5 a99c7b7bd03d6c&amp;fr2=piv-web&amp;fr=chr-greentree_ff&amp;tt=Ankle%2BSprains%2B-%2BGrade%2BI%252C%2BII%252C%2BIII%252C%2Betc.%2BTh e%2BDifferent%2BTypes%2Band%2B...&amp;b=31&amp;ni=112&amp;no=3 9&amp;tab=organic&amp;ts=&amp;sigr=11hcnsd2c&amp;sigb=13ilbtu5j&amp;si gi=11ok4fibh&amp;.crumb=4DpUYHqRWjz)

JMFP2
01-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Yea. The predictors are just trying to pick a line that will get 50% on one side and 50% on the other side so that vegas always make money on the juice. When the line is moving a point and a half like in the 2008 Super Bowl (14 to 12.5) or just in the Packers (8.5 to 7), the public is betting really heavily on the Giants. The predictors got it wrong and vegas loses a lot of money from some games where the public hit one team and they happen to win. Vegas got it wrong and really underestimated the Giants on pretty much every single betting line and definitely futures. 80-1 should have never happened any part of this season? Giants win and they will lose BIG. Look at the link.

<H1 class=entry-title><FONT size=5>Las Vegas Loses when the NY GiantsWin</FONT> (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/sports/football/on-a-futures-bet-las-vegas-loses-if-the-giants-win.html)</H1>

"Kornegay added: “Even at the start of the playoffs we had them at 30 to 1 to win the Super Bowl. They had a very hard road." &lt;------ they really underestimated the Giants

</P>

</P>

I'm sorry, but give 80-1 odds on the Giants was just ****ing dumb. When your QB and your coach have won a Super Bowl together, you should never be in a Cinderella bracket like that.</P>

That's like giving 80-1 odds on a Roger Staubach and Tom Landry.</P>

bflo23
01-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Yea. It was a dumb odd. I am more surprised by the disrespect of the 30-1 odds (once in the playoffs) after the Giants were clicking into the playoffs. Giants were showing a balanced team from there. Falcons? Not impressed.... Packers? Giants lost by 3 pts to them and Packers are a one sided team (all offense, bad defense if they don't get turnovers). 49ers? Great defense with questionable offense.

I don't bet anymore but I would have jumped all over that 30-1 if I was a bettor.