PDA

View Full Version : Power of the Giants Draft

idiotekniQues
01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
we drafted Tuck, Osi, Pierre-Paul, Eli, Nicks, Manningham, Webster, Ross,Bradshaw and on and on. Cruz may as well have been a draft type choice, same with picking up Ballard, etc... since they involved no trades just taking a player available.

I guess Eli was technically a trade but via draft choices.

The Giants build without many flashy free agent moves.

gotta give respect to the front office over the last 10 years to have given us these two runs to the big game.

G4L
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
IMO, Rolle and Boley are the only significant contributors to our team that we did not draft. I guess I'd also add K-Mak and Boothe is starting due to injury.

idiotekniQues
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
drafted Snee, Diehl, Petrus, Jacobs, Williams,

it's a long list.

we did pick up Canty, Bernard, Rolle, & Baas. McKenzie as a free agent also.

but by far we build via the draft and it probably makes for some different kind of chemistry

RoanokeFan
01-27-2012, 09:54 PM
we drafted Tuck, Osi, Pierre-Paul, Eli, Nicks, Manningham, Webster, Ross,Bradshaw and on and on. Cruz may as well have been a draft type choice, same with picking up Ballard, etc... since they involved no trades just taking a player available.

gotta give respect to the front office over the last 10 years to have given us these two runs to the big game.

Cruz, Hynoski, and Ballard were undrafted free agents. GREAT finds, not not drafted.

bLuereverie
01-27-2012, 09:56 PM
It's easier to list starters who weren't drafted.

5 guys out of 22 starters on offense and defense were not acquired via draft or draft night.

TheEnigma
01-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Part of the power of our drafts is the fact we keep so many of these guys from previous drafts and they are still around contributing to our success. I'm pretty sure we beat out the rest of our division in this regard. Give me a few and I'll dig it up.

RoanokeFan
01-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Building through the draft is the team's philosophy. One present notable exception is Kevin Boothe. He'll never be seen as a "star", but his value this season has been incalculable.

shotcalla39
01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
We have been striking gold in the draft for sure... But we must not forget after the 2004 season Accorsi picked up Place, pierce McKenzie and lavar Arrington through FA ... Arrington didn't work out but if he didn't get hurt that one year he would've been a major piece IMO

allentown PA
01-27-2012, 11:15 PM
IMO, Rolle and Boley are the only significant contributors to our team that we did not draft.* I guess I'd also add K-Mak and Boothe is starting due to injury.

canty was a good sign too imo.

JMFP2
01-27-2012, 11:18 PM
The Power of the Draft is nothing compared to the Power of Grayskull.

allentown PA
01-27-2012, 11:25 PM
the giants are a top 5 organazation imo..they are coached well...run well, and draft well...I love how this team builds throught the draft...and its not just the 1st rounders that do well...linval joesph was a great pick imo..manningham in the 3rd...the rookie lbers williams late looks like a steal...the future is bright as well as the present.

TheEnigma
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Let's go with a year that we didn't have a 1st rounder, shall we?

2005 NFL Draft

Giant selections

2nd: Webster (starter)
3rd: Tuck (starter)
4th: Jacobs (starter)
6th: Moore (washed out)

Redskins selections

1st: Carlos Rogers (49ers)
1st: Jason Campbell (Raiders)
4th: Manuel White (washed out)
5th: Robert McCune (washed out)
6th: Jared Newberry (washed out)
7th: Nehemiah Broughton (washed out)

Dallas Cowboys

1st: Ware (starter)
2nd: Kevin Burnett (Dolphins)
4th: Marion Barber (Bears)
4th: Chris Canty (Giants)
7th: Jay Ratliff (starter)

Philadelphia Eagles

1st: Mike Patterson (starter)
2nd: Reggie Brown (washed out)
2nd: Matt McCoy (Seahawks)
3rd: Ryan Moats (washed out)
4th: Sean Considine (Cardinals)
4th: Todd Herremans (starter)
5th: Trent Cole (starter)
5th: Scott Young (washed out)
6th: Calvin Armstrong (washed out)
7th: Keyonta Marshall (washed out)
7th: David Bergeron (Panthers)

The Giants hit gold on 75% of their selections and only lost on a 6th rounder.

The Redskins have NONE of their picks from 2005 on their roster.

The Boys did pretty good but only have Ware and Ratliff left.

The Eagles got Trent Cole and while Herremans and Patterson are decent, they failed on several other picks. They went 3/11 which isn't really that great.

Obviously this is just one year but for majority of this decade, we do pretty dang good.

M0rbid
01-28-2012, 12:54 AM
we drafted Tuck, Osi, Kiwanuka, Pierre-Paul, Eli, Nicks, Manningham, Webster, Ross,Bradshaw and on and on. Cruz may as well have been a draft type choice, same with picking up Ballard, etc... since they involved no trades just taking a player available.

fixed

JJC7301
01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
We have been striking gold in the draft for sure... But we must not forget after the 2004 season Accorsi picked up Place, pierce McKenzie and lavar Arrington through FA ... Arrington didn't work out but if he didn't get hurt that one year he would've been a major piece IMO
I gotta call out the Arrington signing because that was one of the worst and overrated players I can ever remember.

I used to love playing against him when he was on the 'skins because he sucked so badly. So, I was very disappointed when we signed him, and his play during his brief time as a Giant proved me right.

But, for the past 10 years we've done a great job of building and rebuilding our team through the draft and that's the ONLY way it can be done. Draft your stars and sign them before they can get on the market. In terms of FA's, sign solid role players to fill in the holes.

JJC7301
01-28-2012, 01:40 AM

2005 NFL Draft

Giant selections

Redskins selections

Dallas Cowboys

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles got Trent Cole and while Herremans and Patterson are decent, they failed on several other picks. They went 3/11 which isn't really that great.

Obviously this is just one year but for majority of this decade, we do pretty dang good.
WOW!! 3 out of 11 for Philly, and drafting like THAT is why they never reach the mountain top. Plus, they seem to have a stupid habit of trading up in the draft. I agree with it if you're getting a QB, but they seem to do it too often as far as I remember. They draft good skill talent (McCoy, Jackson, Maclin) but not too well in other areas.

miked1958
01-28-2012, 04:54 AM

5 guys out of 22 starters on offense and defense were not acquired via draft or draft night.
That is something to be prowd of

miked1958
01-28-2012, 04:57 AM

2005 NFL Draft

Giant selections

Redskins selections

Dallas Cowboys

Philadelphia Eagles

Great post!! We need to give credit where it's due. The Front Office

ecstussy
01-28-2012, 07:52 AM
It's great to have homegrown players

look@dafilm
01-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Really? I would think it would be less for NY. But that's how teams get far (obviously), by drafting well. The 49ers have only 4 starters that weren't drafted and only 1 on offense. I wonder how many the Pats have.

fletch842
01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
IMO, Rolle and Boley are the only significant contributors to our team that we did not draft.* I guess I'd also add K-Mak and Boothe is starting due to injury.

He may not be a flashy player, but Grant has also been an excellent free agent signing.

chasjay
01-28-2012, 09:34 AM
IMO, Rolle and Boley are the only significant contributors to our team that we did not draft. I guess I'd also add K-Mak and Boothe is starting due to injury.

I'm throwing Weatherford's name in as a good choice - not glamorous, but he could show Romo a thing or two about holding for a kick - and his punting has been a plus for the team all year

jomo
01-28-2012, 09:54 AM
In order to be successful in a salary capped environment, you have to build through the draft. It is in that way that you have a healthy part of your roster locked up at a relatively cheap price. In 2007, the Giants were paying Jacobs and Bradshaw and Smith and Boss pennies, yet got very good production from them. The Patriots got a nice run of years with Brady being a top starter at QB for 6th round money. The money they don't spend there is used to lock up their own top veterans plus sign a few kew FA to round out the roster. It is really the only route to success in this league and the Giants have done it very well.

allentown PA
01-30-2012, 01:34 AM

I'm throwing Weatherford's name in as a good choice - not glamorous, but he could show Romo a thing or two about holding for a kick - and his punting has been a plus for the team all year

oh weatherford was a great sign..good call

Bohemian
01-30-2012, 01:42 AM
the giants are a top 5 organazation imo..they are coached well...run well, and draft well...I love how this team builds throught the draft...and its not just the 1st rounders that do well...linval joesph was a great pick imo..manningham in the 3rd...the rookie lbers williams late looks like a steal...the future is bright as well as the present.

Top 5? I can't see how they would not be in the top 3. They have been a great example of competitiveness throughout, even during their loosing periods, you could always tell that they were not holding back on trying to find that x-factor that would turn things around... and they always found it. The Mara's have always had a great sense of responsibility to their fans and city.

Bohemian
01-30-2012, 01:59 AM
The Giants time and time again prove that their scouting department is amazing. I can think of that 89 draft, and how many of those players were key in that Super Bowl 25 run. Can't say enough about Meggett and Cross, players who made huge impressions during their careers.