PDA

View Full Version : Giants Super Bowl XLII ring from Tiffany's on sale for $47,995 at Championship-Rings.net

swimeasy
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
<div style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">But
this particular ring -- dubbed a "10-table ring" by Michael Strahan (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Michael+Strahan)
because he wanted people to be able to see it from ten tables away -- is one of
the many victims of the slumping economy, Robbins points out, with no takers
after being on the market for nearly three months. Normally, because of the
rabid New York fan base, rings "don't have a tendency to last very long," he
says.

In 2008, when the ring was presented to the Giants, Tiffany &amp;
Co. said that it had a value of over $25,000. The face of the ring features
three Super Bowl trophies, one for each of the team's championships. One side
has the score of the game (Giants 17, Patriots 14) and the other says "Eleven
Straight on the Road," a nod to the NFL record set by the Giants in 2007.
Strahan, Eli Manning (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Eli+Manning), <a title="Amani Toomer" href="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Amani+Toomer">Amani
Toomer</a> and Shaun O'Hara (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Shaun+O%27Hara) made up a
four-player group who consulted on the design.

Who did the ring
originally belong to, you ask? Robbins won't disclose that sort of info
publicly, saying only that the player was not a starter in the Super Bowl.
"They’re all champions in my consideration," he says.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-super-bowl-xlii-ring-tiffany-sale-47-995-championship-rings-net-article-1.1012895#ixzz1km1Ttwfs

Shockey?
</div>

GiantsFan27
01-28-2012, 01:17 PM
we'll never know of course. probably some practice squad player.

bflo23
01-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Jeremy Shockey is such a punk. I think that ring gave him nightmares because he saw the giants get so much better when he wasn't playing. Then he saw Boss made that great play in the SB.

MikeIsaGiant
01-28-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm buying it

GEE.

Pakman
01-28-2012, 02:24 PM
If I had the money that would be mine

Firenugget
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Could have easily been a trainers ring. Aren't player rings engraved with their name or number? Would seem odd if they aren't.

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Could have easily been a trainers ring. Aren't player rings engraved with their name or number? Would seem odd if they aren't.
I think trainers get different rings. Not sure though.

Firenugget
01-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Yep, I just read the actual article, they're different. Also says in 2008 8 players, a majority of them still on the roster at the time, sold their rings.

"For whatever reason, back in 2008, we received eight players selling their rings within six months after they received them," Tim Robbins (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tim+Robbins) of Championship-Rings.net (http://www.championship-rings.net/Default.asp)said of the Super Bowl XLII champion Giants. "The majority of them were still playing for the team, which is rather unusual."<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-super-bowl-xlii-ring-tiffany-sale-47-995-championship-rings-net-article-1.1012895#ixzz1kmetjR8G
</div>

That makes no damn sense to me. Even practice squad players are making 300k+ a year, why the hell would you need to sell it? Crazy...

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Yep, I just read the actual article, they're different. Also says in 2008 8 players, a majority of them still on the roster at the time, sold their rings.

"For whatever reason, back in 2008, we received eight players selling their rings within six months after they received them," Tim Robbins (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tim+Robbins) of Championship-Rings.net (http://www.championship-rings.net/Default.asp)said of the Super Bowl XLII champion Giants. "The majority of them were still playing for the team, which is rather unusual."<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-super-bowl-xlii-ring-tiffany-sale-47-995-championship-rings-net-article-1.1012895#ixzz1kmetjR8G
</div>

That makes no damn sense to me. Even practice squad players are making 300k+ a year, why the hell would you need to sell it? Crazy...
Probably 6/8 were still on the Giants. Hmm. That is weird. Probably Guys who didn't think they'd be back.

That is weird.

CactusJack
01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I remember reading somewhere (probably during the Saints' Superbowl run) that Shockey gave his ring to his mother, so it probably wasn't him.

SweetZombieJesus
01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
If we can get 365 of us to pony up $131 we can each have it for one day out of the year and pass it around like the Stanley Cup.

Seems like a bargain.

SweetZombieJesus
01-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Don't think about superstars. I think the average career in the NFL is 2-3 years and then you're out of the sport unless you want to play in the Arena League or CFL.

Think of a guy like Jay Alford who never got a payday and is probably out of football and now has to fall back on another way of making a living. If you had a ring you could get $25-50k for, would you sell it?

Hell even a superstar like Tiki burned through his money with bad investments, divorce(s), etc. Strahan lost half his money in his divorce. How much money do you think LT has left?

Out of Exile
01-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Michael Johnson I bet sold one. He's out of the NFL now. Jay Alford as well.

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Don't think about superstars.* I think the average career in the NFL is 2-3 years and then you're out of the sport unless you want to play in the Arena League or CFL.

Think of a guy like Jay Alford who never got a payday and is probably out of football and now has to fall back on another way of making a living.* If you had a ring you could get $25-50k for, would you sell it?

Hell even a superstar like Tiki burned through his money with bad investments, divorce(s), etc.* Strahan lost half his money in his divorce.* How much money do you think LT has left?
A lot of these players can go back to school and get a degree.

SweetZombieJesus
01-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Yes and no.

The exceptions are the guys who are smart and realize even the best football career is short and you have to prepare for life after football. And as a result take their education seriously while playing ball in high school and college.

For example, Bart Oates became a lawyer when his career was done. I think Dave Brown is also a lawyer (and he went to Duke, famous for scholar athletes). Guys who went to a school like Duke have a good shot at a 2nd career. Guys who went to schools like UNLV, not so much.

Let's admit it, talented athletes get pushed through school and the water gets parted for them, and teachers often look the other way to make sure they play. So if you make it all the way to the pros and then all of a sudden it's over, and you never really cared about your education along the way, well then what?

I'll have to go to Shaq -- if he didn't have the stellar career, he's very delusional and thinks he could be a brain surgeon, a police officer, an astronaut... He lucked out and became a great player, a media star, and now a broadcaster. If his career sucked, he'd probably be flipping burgers.

Most players probably fall in the middle -- not complete morons and have a chance at some B.S. (bullsh*t not Bachelor of Science) degree, but probably not going pre-med, law school, or engineering.

pjam84
01-28-2012, 07:21 PM

Don't think about superstars.* I think the average career in the NFL is 2-3 years and then you're out of the sport unless you want to play in the Arena League or CFL.

Think of a guy like Jay Alford who never got a payday and is probably out of football and now has to fall back on another way of making a living.* If you had a ring you could get $25-50k for, would you sell it?

Hell even a superstar like Tiki burned through his money with bad investments, divorce(s), etc.* Strahan lost half his money in his divorce.* How much money do you think LT has left?

you would have a point if these guys weren't still on the team. league minimum is enough that you're not gonna have to sell a ring to get by...which is what it seems like you're saying.

if they were smart, they'd hold onto it and sell it when they really do need the money. cause you're right. a lot of them have very short careers.

SweetZombieJesus
01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
you
would have a point if these guys weren't still on the team. league
minimum is enough that you're not gonna have to sell a ring to get
by...which is what it seems like you're saying.

if they were smart, they'd hold onto it and sell it when they really do
need the money. cause you're right. a lot of them have very short
careers.

I'm talking about when their short careers are over. The players who sold in 2008 (as the article says) were probably practice squad, journeymen who knew their careers were over, etc. Maybe a few distgruntled cast-offs like Shockey.

If you make league minimum for 3 years (take 1/2 off for taxes and then 10% for an agent and it starts shrinking) it's not going to sustain you for the rest of your life. We've seen excited young players spend it on cars, houses, women, etc. thinking they hit the payday and the payday is over real quick.

Actually, Jared Lorenzen. How many people would want his life right about now?

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jared-Lorenzen-will-soon-belly-bump-Rikishi.jpg

How much you think he's making?

Third&12
01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Actually if you email me them an inquiry about the ring, they WILL tell you who's on it. I remember a ring being sold awhile back, It was some practice squad scrub.

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Yes and no.

The exceptions are the guys who are smart and realize even the best football career is short and you have to prepare for life after football.* And as a result take their education seriously while playing ball in high school and college.

For example, Bart Oates became a lawyer when* his career was done.* I think Dave Brown is also a lawyer (and he went to Duke, famous for scholar athletes).* Guys who went to a school like Duke have a good shot at a 2nd career.* Guys who went to schools like UNLV, not so much.

Let's admit it, talented athletes get pushed through school and the water gets parted for them, and teachers often look the other way to make sure they play.* So if you make it all the way to the pros and then all of a sudden it's over, and you never really cared about your education along the way, well then what?

I'll have to go to Shaq -- if he didn't have the stellar career, he's very delusional and thinks he could be a brain surgeon, a police officer, an astronaut...* He lucked out and became a great player, a media star, and now a broadcaster.* If his career sucked, he'd probably be flipping burgers.

Most players probably fall in the middle -- not complete morons and have a chance at some B.S. (bullsh*t not Bachelor of Science) degree, but probably not going pre-med, law school, or engineering.
While I do agree the water gets parted for the very talented football players, but normally they last in the league, and if they don't they make a **** ton of cash in the early stages of their career.

And the money made within those three year windows you allude too, if you didn't blow through you can do a lot with it, if saved wisely, which I'm sure practice squad or reserves are very aware of.

greenca190
01-29-2012, 12:24 AM
you

careers.

I'm talking about when their short careers are over.* The players who sold in 2008 (as the article says) were probably practice squad, journeymen who knew their careers were over, etc.* Maybe a few distgruntled cast-offs like Shockey.

If you make league minimum for 3 years (take 1/2 off for taxes and then 10% for an agent and it starts shrinking) it's not going to sustain you for the rest of your life.* We've seen excited young players spend it on cars, houses, women, etc. thinking they hit the payday and the payday is over real quick.

Actually, Jared Lorenzen.* How many people would want his life right about now?

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jared-Lorenzen-will-soon-belly-bump-Rikishi.jpg

Looking healthy.

Firenugget
01-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Don't think about superstars. I think the average career in the NFL is 2-3 years and then you're out of the sport unless you want to play in the Arena League or CFL.

Think of a guy like Jay Alford who never got a payday and is probably out of football and now has to fall back on another way of making a living. If you had a ring you could get $25-50k for, would you sell it?

Hell even a superstar like Tiki burned through his money with bad investments, divorce(s), etc. Strahan lost half his money in his divorce. How much money do you think LT has left?

Not talking about stars, I'm talking about bottom of the barrel guys. They made enough to buy 2 cars and a nice house outright in a single year...I just don't understand how someone can be that stupid with that much money and think it's sad that your dream is to get one of those rings and then you just sell it a few months later. I mean 10 years down the road....ok. That soon? Crazy.

Firenugget
01-29-2012, 12:40 AM
you

careers.

I'm talking about when their short careers are over. The players who sold in 2008 (as the article says) were probably practice squad, journeymen who knew their careers were over, etc. Maybe a few distgruntled cast-offs like Shockey.

If you make league minimum for 3 years (take 1/2 off for taxes and then 10% for an agent and it starts shrinking) it's not going to sustain you for the rest of your life. We've seen excited young players spend it on cars, houses, women, etc. thinking they hit the payday and the payday is over real quick.

You kidding me? He was here 3 years and this is what he made-

<div class="team-stat-subnav"><h2>NFL Player Salaries - Jared Lorenzen</h2></div><table id="player-salaries" class="tablesorter medium-stat" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><thead><tr><th class="c">SEASON</th><th class="text-stat">TEAM</th><th class="r">BASE SALARY</th><th class="r">SIGN BONUS</th><th class="r">CAP VALUE</th><th class="r">SALARY</th><th class="c">POSITION</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="c">2007</td><td class="l">New York Giants (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Giants/salaries/2007)</td><td class="r">
$435,000</td><td class="r">
$15,000</td><td class="r">
$440,160</td><td class="r">
$440,160</td><td class="c">Quarterback</td></tr><tr><td class="c">2006</td><td class="l">New York Giants (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Giants/salaries/2006)</td><td class="r">
$350,000</td><td class="r">
</td><td class="r">
$359,840</td><td class="r">
$354,840</td><td class="c">Quarterback</td></tr><tr><td class="c">2005</td><td class="l">New York Giants (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Giants/salaries/2005)</td><td class="r">
$230,000</td><td class="r">
</td><td class="r">
$239,730</td><td class="r">
$234,730</td><td class="c">Quarterback</td></tr></tbody></table>

And right now he's the top QB in the UIFL making at least $500.00 per week (league charged team for allegedly paying him $2000.00 a week)

So to answer your question.....Uh, yeah I'd like to be J-Load right now. He didn't do a damn thing and made a cool million in the NFL and throws a ball for a living.

The proper question is who "wouldn't" want his life?

Killa4luv
01-29-2012, 03:21 AM
you

careers.

You kidding me? He was here 3 years and this is what he made-

<div class="team-stat-subnav"><h2>NFL Player Salaries - Jared Lorenzen</h2></div><table id="player-salaries" class="tablesorter medium-stat" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><thead><tr><th class="c">SEASON</th><th class="text-stat">TEAM</th><th class="r">BASE SALARY</th><th class="r">SIGN BONUS</th><th class="r">CAP VALUE</th><th class="r">SALARY</th><th class="c">POSITION</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="c">2007</td><td class="l">New York Giants (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Giants/salaries/2007)</td><td class="r">
$435,000</td><td class="r">
$15,000</td><td class="r">
$440,160</td><td class="r">
$440,160</td><td class="c">Quarterback</td></tr><tr><td class="c">2006</td><td class="l">New York Giants (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Giants/salaries/2006)</td><td class="r">
$350,000</td><td class="r">
</td><td class="r">
$359,840</td><td class="r">
$354,840</td><td class="c">Quarterback</td></tr><tr><td class="c">2005</td><td class="l">New York Giants (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/Giants/salaries/2005)</td><td class="r">
$230,000</td><td class="r">
</td><td class="r">
$239,730</td><td class="r">
$234,730</td><td class="c">Quarterback</td></tr></tbody></table>

And right now he's the top QB in the UIFL making at least $500.00 per week (league charged team for allegedly paying him $2000.00 a week)

So to answer your question.....Uh, yeah I'd like to be J-Load right now. He didn't do a damn thing and made a cool million in the NFL and throws a ball for a living.

Apart from the impending heart disease, I concur. Thats a lot of money when u r a working stiff like myself. And like u said, he plays a game for a living. It sounds pretty sweet if you ask me.

SweetZombieJesus
01-29-2012, 04:51 AM

Take off half for taxes and 10% for an agent and that's down to $450k. And that's assuming he didn't have any expenses whatsoever (obviously his food bill alone is good for a couple hundred grand).

Buy a car and a modest home in the NY area (especially in that time frame before the real estate bubble burst) and the money's pretty much gone.

If he's smart he kept some in a nest egg but more likely a lot of it has been eaten up (no pun intended) and he may even be using it to supplement the peanuts he gets in the bush leagues. I seriously doubt those players can make a living solely on the game at that level.

And guess what, those NFL paydays are long gone and now he has the life of a circus performer probably making $25k a year.

I can't find any information on what he studied at Kentucky -- if anything.

Firenugget
01-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Take off half for taxes and 10% for an agent and that's down to $450k. And that's assuming he didn't have any expenses whatsoever (obviously his food bill alone is good for a couple hundred grand).

Buy a car and a modest home in the NY area (especially in that time frame before the real estate bubble burst) and the money's pretty much gone.

If he's smart he kept some in a nest egg but more likely a lot of it has been eaten up (no pun intended) and he may even be using it to supplement the peanuts he gets in the bush leagues. I seriously doubt those players can make a living solely on the game at that level.

And guess what, those NFL paydays are long gone and now he has the life of a circus performer probably making $25k a year.

Who has a 50% tax rate?

Meanhothead
01-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Practice Squad players are making 96k, not 300k which was posted earlier.

NYSPORTS
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
If we can get 365 of us to pony up $131 we can each have it for one day out of the year and pass it around like the Stanley Cup.*

Seems like a bargain.

ALL IN

krygny
01-29-2012, 12:39 PM
If I had the money that would be mine
I would only want one if I earned it.

You can go to a trophy store and have one made as big as you want, saying anything you want. You can buy military medals at surplus and Army/Navy stores. What does it prove?

Voldamort
01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
It started out at $28,000

greenca190
01-29-2012, 11:46 PM

Take off half for taxes and 10% for an agent and that's down to $450k.* And that's assuming he didn't have any expenses whatsoever (obviously his food bill alone is good for a couple hundred grand).*

If he's smart he kept some in a nest egg but more likely a lot of it has been eaten up (no pun intended) and he may even be using it to supplement the peanuts he gets in the bush leagues.* I seriously doubt those players can make a living solely on the game at that level.

Who has a 50% tax rate?

Average is around 46.5 percent.

GOBIGBLUE52
01-30-2012, 12:19 AM

Yes and no.

The exceptions are the guys who are smart and realize even the best football career is short and you have to prepare for life after football. And as a result take their education seriously while playing ball in high school and college.

For example, Bart Oates became a lawyer when his career was done. I think Dave Brown is also a lawyer (and he went to Duke, famous for scholar athletes). Guys who went to a school like Duke have a good shot at a 2nd career. Guys who went to schools like UNLV, not so much.

Let's admit it, talented athletes get pushed through school and the water gets parted for them, and teachers often look the other way to make sure they play. So if you make it all the way to the pros and then all of a sudden it's over, and you never really cared about your education along the way, well then what?

I'll have to go to Shaq -- if he didn't have the stellar career, he's very delusional and thinks he could be a brain surgeon, a police officer, an astronaut... He lucked out and became a great player, a media star, and now a broadcaster. If his career sucked, he'd probably be flipping burgers.

Very true and great post. Just want to add one thing.

"Brad Benson from Brad Benson Hyundai in South Brunswick, New Jersey!"

THE_New_York_Giants
01-30-2012, 12:32 AM
If we can get 365 of us to pony up $131 we can each have it for one day out of the year and pass it around like the Stanley Cup.*

Seems like a bargain.

ALL IN
post of the year

Firenugget
01-30-2012, 06:28 AM

Who has a 50% tax rate?

No way. Maybe including the referred to 10% agent costs. They're not paying 46.5% just in tax.

Either way, even if you're right, they're still freakin stupid.

yoeddy
01-30-2012, 07:39 AM

Take off half for taxes and 10% for an agent and that's down to $450k.* And that's assuming he didn't have any expenses whatsoever (obviously his food bill alone is good for a couple hundred grand).*

If he's smart he kept some in a nest egg but more likely a lot of it has been eaten up (no pun intended) and he may even be using it to supplement the peanuts he gets in the bush leagues.* I seriously doubt those players can make a living solely on the game at that level.

Who has a 50% tax rate?

No way. Maybe including the referred to 10% agent costs. They're not paying 46.5% just in tax.

Either way, even if you're right, they're still freakin stupid.

An amazing stat....80% of NFL players go bankrupt within 5 years of retiring from the league...

As far as the guys who are making league minimum...not a whole lot can prepare you for the shock of going from $300K/year to $30k/year. If you bought that "nice house" and got a mortgage for $270K, your mortgage and tax alone are going to eat through that $30k/year REALLy fast...

Gmenfan87
01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I heard that the NFL matches your 401K 1 to 1. Is that true?

SweetZombieJesus
01-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Who has a 50% tax rate?

Top Federal rate is 40% (just raised from 35%, and it's been as high as 94%, historically), NJ's top rate is 9%, NY State is 8.8%, NYC is 3.64%.

Live in NYC and make lots of money, that's 52.5% of your money gone in taxes. Now you know why Derek Jeter "moved" to Florida (where there is ZERO state income tax), why Osi stays in Atlanta, et al. Just for the "privilege" of living in NJ, NY, or NYC you lose 10% of your income.

(Of course most really rich people live off investments which is a lower capital gains tax).

Have a happy day chewing on that one.