PDA

View Full Version : Greatest QB ever

THE_New_York_Giants
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Automatic Otto Graham.

Nobody better than automatic Otto

GmenFan1980
01-28-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8074c956/Top-Ten-Records-Never-Be-Broken-Otto-Graham-s-10-Straight-Title-Games

Beast

Voldamort
01-28-2012, 12:39 PM
1.Joe Montana
2.Terry Bradshaw
3.Tom Brady
4.John Elway
5.Otto Graham

Jobarulz
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Bowl or not, Marino was the most gifted and talented QB to ever play the position for me. Shame he never had a Super Bowl caliber team around him.

Jobarulz
01-28-2012, 12:53 PM
1. Marino
2. Montana
3. Unitas
4. Graham
5. Brady/Peyton

THE_New_York_Giants
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
1.Joe Montana
2.Terry Bradshaw
3.Tom Brady
4.John Elway
5.Otto Graham
talk to some old timers that were alive during Otto's day. They'll all say he was the greatest.

EazyEManning
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
1.Joe Montana
2.Terry Bradshaw
3.Tom Brady
4.John Elway
5.Otto Graham

Terry Bradshaw at #2? No Marino?

THE_New_York_Giants
01-28-2012, 01:14 PM
1.Joe Montana
2.Terry Bradshaw
3.Tom Brady
4.John Elway
5.Otto Graham

Terry Bradshaw at #2? No Marino?

Wow, for guys here who say winning games makes you elite, you would think automatic Otto would be the most elite. He won 82% of his games.

JPP
01-28-2012, 01:19 PM
1.Joe Montana
2.Terry Bradshaw
3.Tom Brady
4.John Elway
5.Otto Graham
talk to some old timers that were alive during Otto's day. They'll all say he was the greatest.

Talk to most veteran players now and they will probably say Montana or Bradshaw, it is all relative and nobody is wrong but we all only have so much experience to judge from. From what I seen from him he was a league above everyone else at the time but does that mean he tops my list, no he doesn't, but he is up there I'd probably go

Manning
Montana
Bradshaw
Elway
Graham

Jobarulz
01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
LOL you're using winning percentage as your argument? He was an All Time great don't get me wrong, but he played only 10 years and 12 games a year. I would hope he has a higher winning percentage than the QB's who played 16 games a year for 15-20 years.

bLuereverie
01-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Bradshaw's name anywhere in this thread is absurd.

arrjay
01-29-2012, 02:57 AM
Bradshaw's name anywhere in this thread is absurd........

gotta agree montana, marino, bradie, graham, elway, unitas,starr ....even fouts .... all better than bradshaw

Intellect
01-29-2012, 03:10 AM
1. Brady - he broke like 3 of Montana's records, along with the 2007 season eclipsed what Montana and Rice did when he had Moss, Only quarterback to have unanimous league MVP 2010, 2-Time Superbowl MVP, and a 3 Time Superbowl Champion, Most touchdowns in a postseason game (6), Most comebacks by a quarterback, Most wins both postseason-regular season combined,Greatest Quarterback-Coach combination Ever, Still elite, still in his prime, still has a few more great years left, another possible Superbowl currently pending .. When his career is done, you would have to say that he would have the majority of most of the records. </P>

2. Montana - Only thing he has on Brady is number of superbowl championships .. thus far. .....</P>

3. Johnny Unitas</P>

4. Peyton Manning </P>

5. Dan Marino</P>

6. Otto Graham</P>

7. Bart Starr</P>

8. Brett Favre</P>

9. John Elway</P>

10. Steve Young</P>

flamethrower
01-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Too many opinions here to not cause flack.
So the way I will do this is by picking a best of each Decade. And in the 1980's and beyond the game changed to a passing league. So better to have both the Champion, and the best Passer listed.
1950's Otto Graham
1960's Bart Starr, or Johnny Unitas.
1970's Roger Staubach No way is Bradshaw in his class. Bradshaw was average, but had the better team.
1980's Montana/Marino Championships vs Passing Numbers
1990's John Elway/Brett Favre Championships vs passing numbers
2000's Tom Brady/Peyton Manning Championships vs Passing Numbers again.
2010's current decade Eli Manning vs Drew Breeze I know kinda early on this one. But using what they have done so far they are the best 2.

flamethrower
01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Bradshaw's name anywhere in this thread is absurd........

gotta agree montana, marino, bradie, graham, elway, unitas,starr ....even fouts .... all better than bradshaw

Heck even Testaverde was better than Bradshaw. If he didn't have the steel curtain to hold the other teams Offense in check who knows?

Bread
01-29-2012, 02:27 PM
In my opinion, Manning is the best QB in the game today and will eventually be, the best of all time.

look@dafilm
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
1.Joe Montana
2.Terry Bradshaw
3.Tom Brady
4.John Elway
5.Otto Graham

What? No way is Bradshaw #2, no freakin way.

look@dafilm
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
In my opinion, Manning is the best QB in the game today and will eventually be, the best of all time.

Lol, Peyton right?

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Lol, Peyton right?

Cooper*

Giants10Joe
01-29-2012, 05:14 PM
My top 5, in no particular order, are Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Otto Graham, and Johnny Unitas.

I wasn't born yet when Montana was in his prime so for the three older guys I put them on here mostly from highlights and hearing other people talk. Peyton is the best quarterback I've seen in my lifetime even if Brady does have more championships.

Intellect
01-29-2012, 11:42 PM
In my opinion, Manning is the best QB in the game today and will eventually be, the best of all time.</P>

Really? Eli is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL but not over Tom Brady .. and definitely not the best of all time over Tom Brady and Joe Montana. </P>

Bohemian
01-30-2012, 12:14 AM
So the way I will do this is by picking a best of each Decade. And in the 1980's and beyond the game changed to a passing league. So better to have both the Champion, and the best Passer listed.
1950's Otto Graham
1970's Roger Staubach No way is Bradshaw in his class. Bradshaw was average, but had the better team.
2010's current decade Eli Manning vs Drew Breeze I know kinda early on this one. But using what they have done so far they are the best 2.

Great post! I absolutely agree with this list.

I would add Sammy Baugh for the 40s.
It is hard to argue against Graham as being the greatest of all time. The only problem that I have with the era, has mainly to do with the racism of the time and overall treatment of black players. I don't consider much of professional sports as legitimate for that period, or anything pre-70s due to the horrible discrimination of the day. I love Baugh, Unitas, and Starr and Staubach, but there is no way that any of us can say that black QBs where given a fair shot at establishing themselves in the league.

I have to rank Montana are the real #1 of all-time, but it is not clear, as I think that Elway would provide with a great argument. As far as the current talent at the position, I think that it is a Peyton v. Brady battle, and Breeze is certainly in the conversation. As far as Eli, I am a huge fan, and he is the best QB that I have ever seen, but I have to see him do a bit more to consider him as the best of his era. I hope that Eli does keep progressing as he has, and completely convinces me that is the supreme talent amongst his peers.

As far as Favre is concerned. I can't stand his interception numbers. He lost as many games as he won by never being able to temper his high-risk high-reward approach to the position. He, along with Dan Marino are probably the best arms that I have ever seen.

One player that gets dropped out of the conversation is Troy Aikman. Mainly because he played in a very conservative offense, he rarely was in the position where games where shoot-outs. McNabb also had a great career before completely coming apart in the last few years. Another player that gets looked over is Warren Moon. Lets remember that his team was as pass-heavy as could be, and he was more than exemplary at how to handle such responsibility.

Intellect
01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
1950's Otto Graham

It is hard to argue against Graham as being the greatest of all time. The only problem that I have with the era, has mainly to do with the racism of the time and overall treatment of black players. I don't consider much of professional sports as legitimate for that period, or anything pre-70s due to the horrible discrimination of the day. I love Baugh, Unitas, and Starr and Staubach, but there is no way that any of us can say that black QBs where given a fair shot at establishing themselves in the league.

I have to rank Montana are the real #1 of all-time, but it is not clear, as I think that Elway would provide with a great argument. As far as the current talent at the position, I think that it is a Peyton v. Brady battle, and Breeze is certainly in the conversation. As far as Eli, I am a huge fan, and he is the best QB that I have ever seen, but I have to see him do a bit more to consider him as the best of his era. I hope that Eli does keep progressing as he has, and completely convinces me that is the supreme talent amongst his peers.

As far as Favre is concerned. I can't stand his interception numbers. He lost as many games as he won by never being able to temper his high-risk high-reward approach to the position. He, along with Dan Marino are probably the best arms that I have ever seen.

One player that gets dropped out of the conversation is Troy Aikman. Mainly because he played in a very conservative offense, he rarely was in the position where games where shoot-outs. McNabb also had a great career before completely coming apart in the last few years. Another player that gets looked over is Warren Moon. Lets remember that his team was as pass-heavy as could be, and he was more than exemplary at how to handle such responsibility.

</P>

</P>

Eli the best ever? Come on.. He just now started to play like what he is capable of.</P>

Elway although he has two championships, Brady has 3 and is up there in numbers also surpassing Montana in manynumbers. Not only that, but both Montana and Brady are similar in style, stats, winning, MVPs with Brady still in his prime. This is why I am saying Brady is the greatest ever. </P>

EliBlowsCruz
01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
if you mean Eli id like to have what your smoking and you mean Peyton hes all done he cant hold bradys jock strap

Manstache
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Automatic Otto Graham.

Nobody better than automatic Ottoim from cleveland bruh, and yea, otto was the truth. he never gets his just due credit. smh...

Moss#83
01-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Eli will pass Brady if the Giants win next week.

EliBlowsCruz
01-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Eli will pass Brady if the Giants win next week. Not even close

Big Blue 418
01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Clserv than you think . If your going to argue Brady is better than Peyton because of the rings , and IF the Giants beat the Pats twice in the sb , than by your own logic 2-0 is better than 0-2 .

EliBlowsCruz
01-30-2012, 01:14 PM
http://www.footballnation.com/content/if-eli-beats-brady-again-does-that-make-him-better/13191/

Still not even close but id say it makes eli better than peyton

THE_New_York_Giants
01-30-2012, 01:42 PM
1950's Otto Graham
2000's Tom Brady/Peyton Manning* Championships vs Passing Numbers again.

It is hard to argue against Graham as being the greatest of all time.* The only problem that I have with the era, has mainly to do with the racism of the time and overall treatment of black players.* I don't consider much of professional sports as legitimate for that period, or anything pre-70s due to the horrible discrimination of the day.* I love Baugh, Unitas, and Starr and Staubach, but there is no way that any of us can say that black QBs where given a fair shot at establishing themselves in the league.

I have to rank Montana are the real #1 of all-time, but it is not clear, as I think that Elway would provide with a great argument.* As far as the current talent at the position, I think that it is a Peyton v. Brady battle, and Breeze is certainly in the conversation.* As far as Eli, I am a huge fan, and he is the best QB that I have ever seen, but I have to see him do a bit more to consider him as the best of his era.* I hope that Eli does keep progressing as he has, and completely convinces me that is the supreme talent amongst his peers.

As far as Favre is concerned.* I can't stand his interception numbers.* He lost as many games as he won by never being able to temper his high-risk high-reward approach to the position.* He, along with Dan Marino are probably the best arms that I have ever seen.

One player that gets dropped out of the conversation is Troy Aikman.* Mainly because he played in a very conservative offense, he rarely was in the position where games where shoot-outs.* McNabb also had a great career before completely coming apart in the last few years.* Another player that gets looked over is Warren Moon.* Lets remember that his team was as pass-heavy as could be, and he was more than exemplary at how to handle such responsibility.

Not to discriminate, but to this day we have never had an above average black quarterback besides Warren Moon. in the NFL. Cam Newton has the potential to be the next. not saying there couldn't have been great ones back in the day, but even since the 70's, black QB's haven't really been that good. McNabb was average looking back on him. Too many losing seasons. same with Vick

BillTheGreek
01-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Eli will pass Brady if the Giants win next week.
THINK POSITIVE ! THEY WILL WIN ON SUNDAY.

Kysersoze
01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Never saw Otto play so I cannot comment. In my time, been watching football since th early 1980's I would say:

1- Peyton Manning - A lot of responsibility, genius at changing plays and reading defenses.
2- Tom Brady
3- Joe Montana - Never liked him but he has to go on the list
4- John Elway
5- Dave Brown - LOL Just Kidding

5- Dan Marino/Bradshaw

EliBlowsCruz
01-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Never saw Otto play so I cannot comment. In my time, been watching football since th early 1980's I would say:

1- Peyton Manning - A lot of responsibility, genius at changing plays and reading defenses.
2- Tom Brady
4- John Elway

5- Dan Marino/Bradshaw
. How do you put peyton above brady

Is she Conan's wife?
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
I would add Sammy Baugh for the 40s

Thank You. I was beginning to think that no one would mention Baugh. Best of the 1940's and clearly the most influential ever. He didn't invent it, but he was the first QB to use the forward pass as a strategy. Also, more than just a QB, he set 13 records over 3 positions.

Giants Of New Jersey
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
1950's Otto Graham
2000's Tom Brady/Peyton Manning* Championships vs Passing Numbers again.

how is rodgers not in the mix for 2010's lol

Giants Of New Jersey
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM

2- Tom Brady
4- John Elway

5- Dan Marino/Bradshaw
. How do you put peyton above brady

look at peytons stats and record in playoff games..no way should he be ahead of brady....not to mention the rings

jomo
01-31-2012, 04:17 PM

2- Tom Brady
4- John Elway

5- Dan Marino/Bradshaw
These are all good choices. The game changes so much it is probably best and fair to pick them in 20 year brackets. Example, Dan Fouts would never get on an all time top 10 but in his era, he was definitely there. Also, there is no way to compare the Manning era with the Otto Graham or YA Title era. The old timers will always get swept aside and that doesn't frame a discussion like this in the proper light.

flamethrower
02-01-2012, 06:18 AM
1950's Otto Graham

how is rodgers not in the mix for 2010's lol
I went with a coin flip on this. I didn't want to flood the 2010 era ok. But you can Substitute Rodgers for either, and it would still work. Basically You got 1a, 1b, and 1c. Happy now??