PDA

View Full Version : Corey Webster thinks he's in the same class as Darrelle Revis!

TheBookOfEli
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d82666658/article/giants-cb-webster-i-think-im-the-best-thing-out-there?module=HP11_headline_stack

Oh boy, this sounds familiar! I remember a Quarterback making a similar claim.

Get read to join Corey's Web!

Cruz 4 Prez
01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I want him to be confidant, and feel that way. If he didn't feel that way he would need to leave, lol.

stormblue
01-28-2012, 09:17 PM
although i personally think he sucks .....i remember him falling on his assbucket and letting moss get the go-ahead TD in the '07 super bowl.
and i think he benefits from a strong defensive front line that keeps pressure on the QB.

that being said......i have no problem with him
thinking highly of himself .....you need that mentality to play that position.

Raptor22
01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Webby is probably the most underrated CB in the league. At the beginning of the year, he wasn't even considered the best CB on the team (TT got that pub).

However, he's been matched up on, and for the most part shut down the best receiver on every team the Giants have faced, and that's in spite of playing most of the season in a convoluted scheme that prevented S-CB communication that is so vital, and played him against his strengths (press-man coverage, as opposed to the zone coverage that they played most of the year).

Is Webby in the same category as Revis? In all honesty: No. Webby isn't good enough at cheating without getting caught to be in the same conversation as Revis. (not a disparaging remark on Revis, just an observation. Revis is the best in the league at not getting caught while PI'ing)

Firenugget
01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
He is in the same class. What's there to think about? He goes against the opposing teams 1's every week and shuts them down. What else do you want him to do?

Webby 51 tackles 6 INT's and 16Pdef.

Revis 52 tackles 4 INT's and 21Pdef

If anyone has a link to check yds allowed after catch and all that I'd love to see it out of curiosity.

stormblue
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
He is in the same class. What's there to think about? He goes against the opposing teams 1's every week and shuts them down. What else do you want him to do?

If anyone has a link to check yds allowed after catch and all that I'd love to see it out of curiosity.

well alrighty then. you have the stats to prove he's as good as Revis.

well i guess his statements makes him equally
arrogant .

although you do realize that 16 PD's is only ONE per game.
and he's not a safety he's a corner ; so 51 tackles is french(toast) for ' 51 tackles after 51 receptions "

mr.hiroki
01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Webster is extremely under-rated, and I thank him for all he does and has done to help the Gmen compete; that being said, I wouldn't put him up there with Revis. Without having a list of names and stats in front of me, I'd guess and say with 32 starting/#1 DBs, he'd be in the top 10, maybe top 7, top 5 may be stretching it. Either way, he helps us win!

illmatic620
01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
He is in the same class.

You sure?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

Corey Webster: Thrown at 108 times, allowed 61 receptions.

Darrelle Revis: Thrown at 85 times, allowed 35 receptions.

That's just a small sample of the stats in that article I just linked.

Webster's a heck of a player & I appreciate everything he's done this season, but I'm not going to put him in the same class as Revis..

Firenugget
01-28-2012, 10:15 PM

arrogant .

and he's not a safety he's a corner ; so 51 tackles is french(toast) for ' 51 tackles after 51 receptions "

Do you understand how to read? I just posted the stats that are listed and asked if anyone had a link to the stats that actually matter for a CB. Also Revis only had 52 tackles(so Revis was "toast" 52 times according to your logic) and 21 Pdef and 2 less INT's so why is Webster toast and Revis great? Where are you seeing the big discrepancy between the two??

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Webster-245 yds

Revis-117 yds

PFF

stormblue
01-28-2012, 10:22 PM

arrogant .

Do you understand how to read? I just posted the stats that are listed and asked if anyone had a link to the stats that actually matter for a CB. Also Revis only had 52 tackles(so Revis was "toast" 52 times according to your logic) and 21 Pdef and 2 less INT's so why is Webster toast and Revis great? Where are you seeing the big discrepancy between the two??

did not say there WAS much of a difference
neither one of them is "all that"
except for lip-service....
that was my point.

GMenNY21
Webster is not in revis' class , but he's still a beast of a CB

Firenugget
He is in the same class.

You sure?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

Webster's a heck of a player & I appreciate everything he's done this season, but I'm not going to put him in the same class as Revis..

The point of that article focused on who was targeted more. Yes Webster is gonna get thrown at more than Revis, Revis has a rep and teams will choose to not go his way as much as possible. Add to that all the crap he gets away with and I bet it's not that large of a gap.

What I'd like to see is real stats...YPC allowed, RAC allowed, TD's against, etc.. Anyone know where to find that?

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 10:26 PM
He is in the same class.

You sure?

*The point of that article focused on who was targeted more. Yes Webster is gonna get thrown at more than Revis, Revis has a rep and teams will choose to not go his way as much as possible. Add to that all the crap he gets away with and I bet it's not that large of a gap.

What I'd like to see is real stats...YPC allowed, RAC allowed, TD's against, etc.. Anyone know where to find that?
PFF signature stats, I actually got into a buy group for it.

stormblue
01-28-2012, 10:40 PM
He is in the same class.

You sure?

*The point of that article focused on who was targeted more. Yes Webster is gonna get thrown at more than Revis, Revis has a rep and teams will choose to not go his way as much as possible. Add to that all the crap he gets away with and I bet it's not that large of a gap.

here's some charts....if you can figure out how to use it. i don't know what half the abbreviations even stand for.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2011&pos=CB&season=reg

BigBlue1971
01-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Webby imo is as good as Revis! the difference is Revis makes a lot of noise and a lot of people make a lot of noise for him!</P>

Webby is just like the Giants most times, low key and flying under the radar. Webby lets his game do the talking. </P>

thats why noone knows how good Webby is, he just defends and keeps quiet, until now!</P>

gmen0820
01-28-2012, 10:56 PM
He is in the same class.

You sure?

here's some charts....if you can figure out how to use it. i don't know what half the abbreviations even stand for.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2011&pos=CB&season=regThanks for the headache, I don't know if some of those sub category stats are good or bad lol

stormblue
01-28-2012, 10:58 PM
He is in the same class.

You sure?

according to those charts Webster looks like he's not top 10 anything except for targets.....which means they like to throw at him lot.
because he gives up 56% completions.
Revis only gives up 41%

whats amazing is A - Ross he's in the bottom
10 (out of 64 starters) in almost everything.
if stats mean anything at all .....Aaron Ross
sucks big time.

miked1958
01-28-2012, 11:00 PM
I want him to be confidant, and feel that way. If he didn't feel that way he would need to leave, lol.
I am fine with him saying it

greenca190
01-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Who ****ing cares. We're in the super bowl.

BlueSanta
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
In most areas Revis is better.

But, Webster has been a better big game corner. Of this, there is no doubt. What he did this postseason as well as 2007 post season is nothing short of amazing.

NYSPORTS
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
So long as Webster doesn't ask for Revis money and covers everybody, he can say whatever he wants.

stormblue
01-29-2012, 11:30 AM
So long as Webster doesn't ask for Revis money and covers everybody, he can say whatever he wants.

he already makes 5 million this year.
next year ;
Webster ...6.5 million
Rolle.....6.7 million

shockeyg
01-29-2012, 11:39 AM
C-Webb is a beast . I really can't figure some people out . Oh he fell down in " 07" lol He lines up week after week on teams best Wr. and does his job well . What did SF wide out have ? 1 catch all game ? And that was a grabage time catch . He is in the same league as Revis . I'd say top 5 in the league. But that's just me .

Voldamort
01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Corey has played well,The pas rush always get's the credit on this team!!! Corey will have a great game,maybe 2 pics.

Itlan
01-29-2012, 12:19 PM
It's tough to look at our corners this year.

For the better part of the season, Fewell was doing that stupid 3 man-rush and 8 in zone which rarely ever worked.

Webster rarely lets up when he's man-to-man, and he's very aware of when he has help over the top and when he doesn't.

On the other side, I think Aaron Ross has it in his head "just don't screw up," so he plays off just so he doesn't get beat deep.

Prince will shut everyone down next year. :)

stormblue
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
C-Webb is a beast . I really can't figure some people out . Oh he fell down in " 07" lol He lines up week after week on teams best Wr. and does his job well . What did SF wide out have ? 1 catch all game ? And that was a grabage time catch . He is in the same league as Revis . I'd say top 5 in the league. But that's just me .

the niners don't have any wide receivers.
Crabtree is a bust.

anyways , i'm tired of discussing it.
i have posted links to his stats and nobody cares.
Fact ; he is top 10 in nothing but salary.
and is bottom 3rd in most stats.

and i know stats aren't everything and he's a
Giant so we as loyal fans gotta have his back.

and i'm glad he thinks he's the best 'cuz you need confidence to play that position.

but he ain't as good as Revis , he ain't even close.

ShakeNBake
01-29-2012, 12:23 PM

arrogant .

No its definitely not, and I hate when people make that assumption. Did you take into consideration how suspect our run defense and defense against the short passes was this season? Our safety led the team in tackles, which says a lot so assuming that all of a corner's tackles are against the man hes pass defending against is just flat out wrong.

Redeyejedi
01-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Man Aaron Ross is still being graded as one of the worst starting corners in the NFL.

stormblue
01-29-2012, 12:39 PM

arrogant .

No its definitely not, and I hate when people make that assumption. Did you take into consideration how suspect our run defense and defense against the short passes was this season? Our safety led the team in tackles, which says a lot so assuming that all of a corner's tackles are against the man hes pass defending against is just flat out wrong.

any stat can be twisted any way you want it to.
the fact is out of every 10 times he's targeted
he only defends 4 of them , 6 are completed.
Revis is 6 defended and 4 completed.
actual % Webster 56% allowed , Revis 41% allowed.
and the Jets don't have a pass rush and the Giants have the best in the biz.

and hey , like i said , i'm glad he THINKS he's the best. playing CB needs that metality.
but he's not the best. he's not even top 10.

truth.

peace.

NYSPORTS
01-29-2012, 12:46 PM

next year ;
Webster ...6.5 million
Rolle.....6.7 million

I know what he makes and it's less than Revis money.

stormblue
01-29-2012, 02:06 PM

next year ;
Webster ...6.5 million
Rolle.....6.7 million

I know what he makes and it's less than Revis money.

and rightfully so.

slipknottin
01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Revis is making 16 million a year for the first couple years of his contract.

GMan883
01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
i think some of it is perception. it seems like teams throw a lot less to revis,than most CB's in the league (for obvious reasons). Since he ends up shutting down majority of the passes to him, the ratio makes him look even better now.

regardless i am very happy with C-Web, but i do not think he is on Revis' level. no one is...yet. it is him, and then the first tier starts. but how great would it be for him to pull an "Eli" and come out next year completely shutting everyone down

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Webster's contract is just under 43mil after his latest restructure for 6 years. Revis is earning 46 mil in 4 years.

Their base salaries are similar, but the bonuses are where they differentiate. Revis earned $25mil just this year.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I still think, in terms of press man coverage, Asomugha and Revis are 1 and 1a.

GreenZone
01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
This has been a tale of two seasons (or three). During the middle part of the season, the entire defense was torched in record numbers. The line wasn't getting pressure and the backfield was in the state of confusion (including missing a lynchpin in Michael Boley during much of that time).

Since the Jets, the whole backfield is like a different group. Just compare them in the first vs. the second SF game to see the point.

The Patriots too have a whole different defense than earlier in the season.

A few years ago, the Colts had the worst regular season defense, which stepped up in the Superbowl run.

So, all in all, stats for one player are largely dependent on the surrounding team. In an "all in" defense, both cannot be compared now with where they were earlier.

B&RWarrior
01-29-2012, 02:50 PM
i think some of it is perception.* it seems like teams throw a lot less to revis,than most CB's in the league (for obvious reasons).* Since he ends up shutting down majority of the passes to him, the ratio makes him look even better now.*

regardless i am very happy with C-Web, but i do not think he is on Revis' level.* no one is...yet.* it is him, and then the first tier starts. but how great would it be for him to pull an "Eli" and come out next year completely shutting everyone down

Revis showed us his A game this year. He's on another level. C-web is good. He struggles against big fast receivers like Colston and Brandon Marshall. Yet he consistenly does well against D. Jackson, Dez Bryant and the likes. C Web is money in the bank come this Sunday. I'm more worried about Ross and Prince.

nyknstill!
01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Webster is good but he can't cover fast recievers. So no he's not in the same class as Revis, he's just a notch under. But he is very good. The guy on the Giants that has the chance to be that good in the Revis class is Amukamara, just look at what he did to Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings the other week.

AntB
01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
He is a fine corner.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-29-2012, 03:14 PM
LOVE IT!!!!!!

My boy C-Web.. greatness baby

slipknottin
01-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Webster is good but he can't cover fast recievers

Disagree. Webster does some of his best work against DeSean Jackson.

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 05:24 PM

When Nnamdi can cover both sides of the field as effectively like Revis, then I think the comparisons of the two can resume.

BlueBlitzer
01-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Of course those 1 and 1a CBs instead of running their mouths about how good their teams are. Will instead be running to the 7-11 for Onion Dip on Super Bowl Sunday.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM

When Nnamdi can cover both sides of the field as effectively like Revis, then I think the comparisons of the two can resume.When did the comparisons stop?

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Of course those 1 and 1a CBs instead of running their mouths about how good their teams are. Will instead be running to the 7-11 for Onion Dip on Super Bowl Sunday.And their teams issues are definitely not because of them.

BlueBlitzer
01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Of course those 1 and 1a CBs instead of running their mouths about how good their teams are. Will instead be running to the 7-11 for Onion Dip on Super Bowl Sunday.And their teams issues are definitely not because of them.</P>

And their big money contracts and all world ability couldn't help their teams either. </P>

buffyblue
01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
I would take Corey Webster over Nmadi Ashomouga any day of the week. However Darelle Revis is a better conerback than Corey Webster.

The one thing that Corey Webster does do better than both of them is tackle. Neither one of them are in the same league as tacklers as Corey Webster is. Heck I have seen Darelle Revis pull a Deon Sanders a couple times this year and just move out of the way and let the runner go by him. He completely avoided Tim Tebow and basically just threw his arm out there to paw at him. Corey Webster is a heck of a lot tougher than either one of them and Corey Webster shows up in the big games.

I bELIeve.

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 05:58 PM

When Nnamdi can cover both sides of the field as effectively like Revis, then I think the comparisons of the two can resume.When did the comparisons stop?

I think it's been agreed upon past few season Revis is the better all around corner. This past season of struggles with the Eagles only made the argument stronger.

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Of course those 1 and 1a CBs instead of running their mouths about how good their teams are. Will instead be running to the 7-11 for Onion Dip on Super Bowl Sunday.And their teams issues are definitely not because of them.</P>

And their big money contracts and all world ability couldn't help their teams either. </P>

Nnamdi was a top corner for years with the lowly Raiders. It's not his fault he can't play LB simultaneously for the Eagles.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 06:06 PM

I think it's been agreed upon past few season Revis is the better all around corner. This past season of struggles with the Eagles only made the argument stronger.He struggled in zone coverage.

In man coverage he was once again the least targeted corner in the league, sporting an incredible cover snap to reception ratio, tops in the league by the way. He also is around tops in the league in the slot this year. and although he marginally covered in the slot, (100 snaps or so), Revis had even less snaps in the slot.

The only times he struggled this year was when Castillo tried to use him like Woodson and blitz or align as a safety on occasions, or cover-3, and to be honest, that was even a bit overblown.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 06:07 PM

And their big money contracts and all world ability couldn't help their teams either. </P>Only so much one guy can do.

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I do blame most of Nnamdi's struggles [if you can call it that bc he was still better than most] on the misuse of Castillo. That was also in part due to DRC being injured. I still think Asomugha is the best shadowing corner in the league.

However, I think Revis has the superior physical tools and ball skills to compensate for that. His ability to just play with and bait QBs is fun to watch in a year where he got 28 more targets from last year.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I do blame most of Nnamdi's struggles [if you can call it that bc he was still better than most] on the misuse of Castillo. That was also in part due to DRC being injured. I still think Asomugha is the best shadowing corner in the league.

However, I think Revis has the superior physical tools and ball skills to compensate for that. His ability to just play with and bait QBs is fun to watch in a year where he got 28 more targets from last year.+1

They are both in a league of their own and have their strengths. Revis is a bit better then Nnamdi I will say, but being a bit worse then Revis is still just incredible.

NYDestroyer
01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
LOL and I thought the Best Giants Cornerback was Terrell Thomas.

First Eli now Webster. Hey Webster, prove it on Sunday that's all. I just don't want to see you on your butt again getting beat by Wes Welker. [:$]

yoeddy
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Revis knows how to hide his grabbing and holding better...

JJC7301
01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
I think Webster is an excellent CB and definitely one of the best in the game. I think TT is pretty good, but the claims that he has been the best CB on the Giants are just not true.

Nobody is as good as Revis -- he's the best in his era and possibly the best ever. But since we don't have Revis, I'm glad that Web is our guy.

mr.hiroki
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM

<FONT size=5>And their big money contracts and all world ability couldn't help their teams either. </FONT></P>

</P>

this! +1 [Y]</P>

bLuereverie
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Neither Revis nor Nnamdi is to blame for their team's futility.

After some crafty balancing from the Jets, for the next two seasons Revis gets paid 7.5 million and 6 million respectively, both years equating to that of Corey, thus not hamstringing their cap. [Their Cromartie/Holmes deals are a different story]

SackingMyths
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
This is why I despise the media. They take snippets and turn them into phony stories.

I've been avoiding this thread because I assumed that was what the discussion was about:

<a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35736/giants-dbs-dont-feel-secondary">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35736/giants-dbs-dont-feel-secondary
</a>
"Me, I think I'm great. I think I'm the best thing out there. I'm sure Aaron Ross (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10464/aaron-ross) feels the same way, and our whole secondary feels the same way. That's how you're supposed to feel when you take that field."

Not quite the same thing as saying he's better than Revis, Nnamdi or whoever else.

bLuereverie
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
This is why I despise the media. They take snippets and turn them into phony stories.

I've been avoiding this thread because I assumed that was what the discussion was about:

<a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35736/giants-dbs-dont-feel-secondary">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35736/giants-dbs-dont-feel-secondary
</a>
"Me, I think I'm great. I think I'm the best thing out there. I'm sure Aaron Ross (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10464/aaron-ross) feels the same way, and our whole secondary feels the same way. That's how you're supposed to feel when you take that field."

Not quite the same thing as saying he's better than Revis, Nnamdi or whoever else.

Most also like to omit his take on Wes Welker. Without the contextual, they turned what was a benign statement into something that looked like they didn;t take him seriously.

sligoker
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
He isn't.

Refuse2Fail
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM
darelle who?

GCGiant
01-31-2012, 05:25 AM
The only way Webster gets into Revis' class is if the refs start letting him cheat, too.

Hooligans
01-31-2012, 06:05 AM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d82666658/article/giants-cb-webster-i-think-im-the-best-thing-out-there?module=HP11_headline_stack

Oh boy, this sounds familiar! I remember a Quarterback making a similar claim.

Get read to join Corey's Web!

I am a diehard Giant fan.......but Webster is no where close to Revis.