PDA

View Full Version : Does Gilbride have a flea flicker in his playbook???

Verve
01-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Parcells always says in big games you need a couple of gimmick plays to get momentum.

Bill Walsh used to use gimmick plays early in the game to keep the defence honest.

So which HC pulls a fake FG, punt draw, flea flicker, KO reverse first??

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
We didn't do it in 07 vs the almighty Pats.

yoeddy
01-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Parcells always says in big games you need a couple of gimmick plays to get momentum.

Bill Walsh used to use gimmick plays early in the game to keep the defence honest.

Fwiw, I don't think either of those statements are true of Parcells or Walsh...

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
We've already seen a hail mary. At best, we may see a reverse.

But I doubt it. Giants should take their modest gameplan, and shove it down the throat of the 31st ranked D. Option routes from our receivers should be hard enough to worry about.

Verve
01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
You obviously didn't watch giant games under Parcells or read any Bill Walsh books

Fake FG vs Philly: Rutledge pass to Carson TD 35~3
Fake FG vs 49ers: Rutledge pass to Bavaro for first down 49~3
Fake punt vs Broncos: Rutledge QB sneak for first down in 3rd quarter 39~20
Flea flicker from Simms to Morris to Simms then downfield to McConkey 39~20

Fake FG vs Philly: Hoss pass to Banks TD

1990 regular season
Fake FG vs redskins: Hoss incomplete to LT
Fake punt vs 49ers: Reasons on dive for 30 yards for first down

yoeddy
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
You obviously didn't watch giant games under Parcells or read any Bill Walsh books

Fake FG vs Philly: Rutledge pass to Carson TD 35~3
Fake FG vs 49ers: Rutledge pass to Bavaro for first down 49~3
Fake punt vs Broncos: Rutledge QB sneak for first down in 3rd quarter 39~20
Flea flicker from Simms to Morris to Simms then downfield to McConkey 39~20

Fake FG vs Philly: Hoss pass to Banks TD

1990 regular season
Fake FG vs redskins: Hoss incomplete to LT
Fake punt vs 49ers: Reasons on dive for 30 yards for first down

In the first two examples (Rutledge passing), Giants were up by large margins when those were done. Were they really "needed for momentum"?

Fake punt and Flea Flicker in SB21...I'll give you the fake punt, but they already had the momentum when the flea flicker was run.

In 1989, the Giants were swept by the Eagles. Not sure that was a great example of using a trick play to gain momentum in a big game.

1990 regular season...Hoss incomplete to LT was a momentum swing? I'll agree that the Reasons play was huge.

So...2 examples of Parcells using trick plays as a momentum changer in his 8 years as coach of the Giants. Not really a convincing argument IMHO.

As far as Walsh goes, you are correct that I have never read any of his books. But he was famous for scripting his first 15 plays, so I can't really see him using "trick plays early in the game to keep a defense honest".

GMan883
01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
i'd like to see weathorford run for a 1st down on a punt draw. he has done it with the jets with success. but knowing TC, prolly not going to happen.

BigBlue1971
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Parcells always says in big games you need a couple of gimmick plays to get momentum. Bill Walsh used to use gimmick plays early in the game to keep the defence honest. So which HC pulls a fake FG, punt draw, flea flicker, KO reverse first??</P>

</P>

i dont think we'll see any flea flickersor trick kinda plays next Sunday.</P>

i think TC will be very serious in the Giants playing physical hard nosed football.</P>

yoeddy
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
i'd like to see weathorford run for a 1st down on a punt draw.* he has done it with the jets with success.* but knowing TC, prolly not going to happen.

They had one called earlier this season...but then the defense shifted and they called it off. But Weatherford didn't get the message that it was called off and ran anyways...didn't make it.

But at least we know it's in the playbook...

StarBoy
01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
He did try this yr. Don't remember which game it was. Epic Fail...

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 05:22 PM
He did try this yr. Don't remember which game it was. Epic Fail...
New Orleans, in which Coughlin actually waved it off.

I know one thing. I don't think my heart can handle another 76 Union Y Sail

NYtoSanDiego
01-29-2012, 05:40 PM

i don't see it happening cause its coughlin and gilbride and if we did we'd probably muff it.

NYBlue10
01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Didn't Da'Rel Scott ran for a 1st down on a fake punk in the regular season game vs. Pats?

BeatTHEJETS
01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Are u guys nuts.
A trickplay for Gilbride?
his trick plays are rb tosses lol.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Didn't Da'Rel Scott ran for a 1st down on a fake punk in the regular season game vs. Pats?Preseason

Giants10Joe
01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Sean Peyton said he got the idea to do an onside kick in the Super Bowl from Parcells who told him "you need to steal a possession."

I don't want to do a flea flicker or a fake fg, but I wouldn't mind a fake punt on 4th and 1 from the Patriots 40. That's in that awkward zone that's too short for a punt but too long for a field goal.

krygny
01-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I've been saying for years, if there was ever a QB meant for the flea-flicker, it's Eli Manning. I'm sure it's in the playbook but if it were ever to be used, we'd have seen it by now. Of course, the key to its execution is with the running back.