PDA

View Full Version : What should they do with the probowl?

GiantsFanMan
01-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Well clearly they can't keep playing this farce. I mean the pro bowl always pretty bad, but this is the worse pro bowl I've ever seen. They are fake tackling, and the linemen are not even trying. That said you know what? ITS NOT THERE FAULT! The pro bowl god dang stupid in it's current incarnation. It needs to be changed.

I've always felt they should just turn it into a award show. Like the players still get elected to the pro bowl and everything, but there no game. They just show like highlights and talk about all the selected players. Then maybe they have like a softball game or something.

What you guys think is the best way to do the pro bowl?

Firenugget
01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Flush it. Get rid of it completely. Or do like I do and just ignore it.

FlyingTruck
01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah I just ignore it.

miken609
01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
They should simply announce the teams. That's it. They should not even play the game.

bLuereverie
01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
An award ceremony where they announce things such as MVP and players of the year isn't a bad idea.

As for the game there is nothing you can do. You can't even give it a degree of importance like in the MLB since the SuperBowl is on a neutral field.

The concept of a football allstar game is just fundamentally flawed from the start since no one will risk injury for something that meaningless.

gmen0820
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Let them play real football and losers donate their first pay check next year to charity.

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Fine the players. LOL just playin. I wonder what the players are tweeting? I don't do twitter.

greenca190
01-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Honestly, at this point, they might as well play a flag football game. Have linemen and defensive ends announced to the pro bowl, but don't bother to have them play. Just skill positions. I would rather watch a flag football game with every one mic'ed up over this.

miked1958
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM

There was another thread that was talking about what to do to make game more interesting.

Some suggestions were a Skills Competition..
Like who can throw it the furthest. 40 yard dash. Strenth. FG and punts. Etc.
Fun stuff could include
Endzone dance and slam dunk over crossbar competition.
There was a bunch more suggestions but don't remember them all without going back to that thread. But there were some good ones?

Some others were. A flag football game.
And a Old Timers game

KidA
I don't know, but you're right. Something has to be done.

I watched 5 minutes of it and then just went into a rant and turned it off. It's a disgrace to the NFL and the fans.

People watch professional football to see the best of the best compete and lay it all on the line each week. The Pro Bowl is the antithesis of that concept. Everyone just half-asses it and the rules prevent the defense from even showing up.

It's embarrassing for everyone involved.

miked1958
Honestly, at this point, they might as well play a flag football game. Have linemen and defensive ends announced to the pro bowl, but don't bother to have them play. Just skill positions. I would rather watch a flag football game with every one mic'ed up over this.
Yep

Rudyy
01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
The defense isn't even allowed to blitz LOL wow. This is a professional version of flag football without the flags.

Bohemian
01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
I would definitely make it more interesting by just having the players hold a symposium to celebrate the game's best that year, and hold it after the championship game to ensure that all the teams are represented. I would definitely not play the game, as it is a complete waist of everyone's time.

I would probably move it to the Hall of Fame in Canton, so the event would be held in a meaningful venue. That way the season would end and begin with a Hall of Fame event. That would also be a good opportunity for the new HOF inductees to participate and comment on their impressions of that year's Pro Bowlers.

Just food for thought.

Go Blue!

greenca190
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Yep

It'd be pretty much the same thing, except I think I'd be more willing to watch it simply because they wouldn't actually be passing it off as football.

A skills competition would be pretty sweet. Forty yard dashes between nose tackles.

gmen46
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
They should simply announce the teams. That's it. They should not even play the game.

So, basically, you're suggesting dropping it altogether, since they already have All Pro elections, which is more meaningful in its respectability anyway.

I agree.

Of course, I feel the same way about all the All Star Games in hockey, baseball, basketball, as well as the Pro Bowl. I haven't watched any of those in at least 35 years.

michaelkhan3
01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Let the players play a game of Madden and show it on TV it would be way more competitive

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Surfing competition! That would be fun to watch!

greenca190
01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Just give the Puppy Bowl 3 hours.

greenca190
01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Just give the Puppy Bowl 3 hours.

Hopefully Michael Vick doesn't get voted in.

Giants10Joe
01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I've seen a few suggestions that I like.

Announce the rosters but don't play the game and turn it into an award ceremony where the MVP, ROY, etc are announced and hold it in the Superbowl city so that the 2 Super Bowl teams can attend.

Hold a skills competition. Ex. RB and WR sprints, QBs throw through tires, 1 on 1 WR v CB competitions with no one rushing the quarterback, an obstacle course, longest field goal/punt.

Hold an old timers flag football game. (Maybe have celebrities in there too. Actually, yes, definitely have celebrities in there. I'd love to see LT crush Kim Kardashian because he "forgot" that there was no tackling.)

greenca190
01-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I've seen a few suggestions that I like.

Announce the rosters but don't play the game and turn it into an award ceremony where the MVP, ROY, etc are announced and hold it in the Superbowl city so that the 2 Super Bowl teams can attend.

Hold a skills competition. Ex. RB and WR sprints, QBs throw through tires, 1 on 1 WR v CB competitions with no one rushing the quarterback, an obstacle course, longest field goal/punt.

Hold an old timers flag football game. (Maybe have celebrities in there too. Actually, yes, definitely have celebrities in there. I'd love to see LT crush Kim Kardashian because he "forgot" that there was no tackling.)

Crush her with what? /red

GiantsFanMan
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Let the players play a game of Madden and show it on TV it would be way more competitive

You know I was thinking of that too lol. Then I was like nah no one but me would want to watch that lol. Maybe that would be more popular then i thought.

miked1958
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Also they could do a 7 on 7

GiantLife615
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Whichever guy wins the MVP, his team should get the last pick in the next years draft. Mr. irrelevant from the most irrelevant game ever played

JJC7301
01-29-2012, 10:53 PM

+1. There is absolutely no point in this game at all. I've been following football since the early '80s and I've never watched a pro-bowl in my life. Just no point.

chasjay
01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Name the squads as they do now, have some skills competitions/demonstrations and incorporate the activities into a few days that ends with a college all-star type game - either the Senior Bowl or another similar game. I'm short on details, but the NFL, networks and NCAA are full of idea people to make an attractive event out of it.