PDA

View Full Version : If you were Bellicheck what would you put in your gamplan to beat the Giants?

BParcells777
01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
I do not believe they can win

Without Gronkowski, and with us having Bradshaw this time around , and with the re-birth of our D since some linemen got healthy, and Blackburn took over the middle- The Patriots face a formidible task. Before those things changed, we still beat them 24-20 in their own house. .

1- They would have to keep our WR's in front of them, stop our Running game

2- They have to protect Brady, with perhaps 2 tight ends in close most off the game

3- Wilfolk would have to have a huge game

4- They would have to win the Special Teams and Turnover battle.

5. Brady would have to come out and have a Phil Simms SB

With all this it would still be a close game......I really don't see The Patriots having much of a shot......It would be a Buster Mathis upset.......I know the Vegas odds but those are made to get more people to respect and bet the Patriots.......Vegas is still wayyyyyyyyyyy underwater with large pre-season Giant to win the SB bets..............Pre season Vegas foolishly gave 200-1 odds and bettors jumped all over that.....one guy bet 200,000 at 200-1......must be a REAL Giants fan that guy

Manstache
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
build a chain link fence around brady complete with barbed wire and guard dogs to keep the 4 horsemen from attacking.....

Delicreep
01-30-2012, 09:46 AM
In case he reads this...punt on first down; keep Brady safe

G-Man67
01-30-2012, 10:18 AM
no big plays, make us score from the red zone

pressure up the middle with Wilfork and blitzes

attack the ball, cause turnovers

use Gronk as a decoy and on seam routes where he doesn't have to cut

get someone, anyone deep ... they will need 1 big play and to convert most red zone opportunites into TDs

use the law firm of Jarvis, Green and Ellis to help slow our pass rush ... don't totally abandon the run regardless of the score

STs - they can out play us here

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
.Pre season Vegas* foolishly gave 200-1 odds and bettors jumped all over that.....one guy bet 200,000 at 200-1......must be a REAL Giants fan that guy

Link please. I don't think even the Rams got 200-1. I remember the Giants getting 50-1 preseason and 100-1 for a brief period during the season when we were 6-6.

burier
01-30-2012, 12:09 PM
If I were advising Belichick I'd tell him to figure out a way to score alot. and I mean they can't really punt in this game. They've got to figure out how to score in the 30s without a run game that scares anyone and no recievers to speak of. (Ocho Cinco?)

I don't see any way in the world that defense is keeping the Giants under 30 points. Even if they completely shut down our run game they absolutely cannot cover our recievers.

If they play 2-high to keep Manningham and Nicks from beating them deep Cruz will win the MVP.

I think the Pats will play tough and make this looks close for a little while just on guts but the Giants are too much. Just like the rest of the teams in the NFC playoffs. The Pats are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

JimC
01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow...you guys are just going WAY overboard.

All they need to do is rattle Eli by dumping him on his butt often. What makes you so sure that our DL will get to Brady? This is going to be a close game.

JMGGIANTS
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM

All they need to do is rattle Eli by dumping him on his butt often.* What makes you so sure that our DL will get to Brady?* This is going to be a close game.

Eli didn't get rattled last week after getting thoroughly abused by 49ers. What makes you think the Pat's can rattle him.? I have no doubt our line will get to Brady, no doubt.

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 12:21 PM

All they need to do is rattle Eli by dumping him on his butt often.* What makes you so sure that our DL will get to Brady?* This is going to be a close game.

Eli didn't get rattled last week after getting thoroughly abused by 49ers. What makes you think the Pat's can rattle him.? I have no doubt our line will get to Brady, no doubt.

+1. SF's front 7 is one of the best in history. NE's is...not

JimC
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM

All they need to do is rattle Eli by dumping him on his butt often. What makes you so sure that our DL will get to Brady? This is going to be a close game.

Yeah...but we only scored 17 points and 17 wont be enough to beat NE.

burier
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM

NE can't hold us to 17 points and Eli was not rattled.

manning to shockey
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
i posted this in the other thread but it works better here.

I think the Pats are going to play quick, for them to win they need to tire this defense out and keep the Giants from substituting on defense. I feel Belichick is going to have them run no huddle most of the game and dink and dunk on the Giants. We need to be prepared for hurry up offense.

burier
01-30-2012, 12:28 PM

I think the Pats are going to play quick, for them to win they need to tire this defense out and keep the Giants from substituting on defense. I feel Belichick is going to have them run no huddle most of the game and dink and dunk on the Giants. We need to be prepared for hurry up offense.

could happen. But its going to be very loud which might hurt any time of nohuddle stuff

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 12:31 PM

SF's defense is better than NE's at almost every position.

Desepx
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
expecting chad johnson to step up, have a huge game, and be an x-factor.

Providence
01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Run the no-huddle frequently.

If they can run the no-huddle well we're going to be in a lot of trouble.

JimC
01-30-2012, 12:39 PM

That may be true but do you think our defense is equal or close to the Ravens defense? I don't. STOP drinking all the Kool-Aid.

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 12:44 PM

That may be true but do you think our defense is equal or close to the Ravens defense?* I don't.* STOP drinking all the Kool-Aid.

We have the best pass rush in the league, NE has a few guys who are decent at best. Eli has played great under pressure this year and Brady has clearly gotten rattled in the past. I don't see how your point about the pass rush working against us makes any sense.

Simmsy
01-30-2012, 12:46 PM
If I was Belichick, I would pretty much invite the Giants to run on every single play. I just wouldn't be afraid of Bradshaw even remotely as much as I would be afraid of Nicks and Cruz.

BTW, you do realize the Patriots are *favored* right? So if they win, I don't think too many people would be ranking it alongside one of the biggest upsets of all time. The Vegas odds are what they are in order to get equal action on both teams. The line has been 3 since it opened so that tells us that half the betting public is taking NE and half is taking NY.

Also, the NY Giants were *never* a 200-1 underdog to win the Super Bowl. They were 20-1 (big difference). Vegas is not "underwater" with anything. They didn't build all them palaces in the desert by losing money. If they Giants win, they'll pay that 20-1 with all the money people lost on all the 31 other teams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8863455

JimC
01-30-2012, 12:51 PM

That may be true but do you think our defense is equal or close to the Ravens defense? I don't. STOP drinking all the Kool-Aid.

We have the best pass rush in the league, NE has a few guys who are decent at best. Eli has played great under pressure this year and Brady has clearly gotten rattled in the past. I don't see how your point about the pass rush working against us makes any sense.

I think we are going to have our hands full stopping Wilfork up the middle. I don't think Bass can handle him. Pressure up the middle will cause problems for Eli.

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
If I was Belichick, I would pretty much invite the Giants to run on every single play. I just wouldn't be afraid of Bradshaw even remotely as much as I would be afraid of Nicks and Cruz.

BTW, you do realize the Patriots are *favored* right? So if they win, I don't think too many people would be ranking it alongside one of the biggest upsets of all time. The Vegas odds are what they are in order to get equal action on both teams. The line has been 3 since it opened so that tells us that half the betting public is taking NE and half is taking NY.

Also, the NY Giants were *never* a 200-1 underdog to win the Super Bowl. They were 20-1 (big difference). Vegas is not "underwater" with anything. They didn't build all them palaces in the desert by losing money. If they Giants win, they'll pay that 20-1 with all the money people lost on all the 31 other teams.

You're right that they were never 200-1, but they were 100-1 during midseason and Vegas insiders have admitted they will take a bath if we win because of all the Giants fans who jumped on those odds.

burier
01-30-2012, 12:55 PM

That may be true but do you think our defense is equal or close to the Ravens defense?* I don't.* STOP drinking all the Kool-Aid.

I think we are going to have our hands full stopping Wilfork up the middle.* I don't think Bass can handle him.* Pressure up the middle will cause problems for Eli.

I think as a prank someone switched the scouting reports before he delievered it to you.

Brady is the one that will be in trouble if he gets pressure up the mddle.

Manning can actually move and can complete passes rolling to the right or left.

Also hitting him does not negatively effect Manning's play. To the contrary he actually plays better.

So all the Patriots have to do his actually Sack not hit but Sack Eli somewhere between 8-12 times.

While if the Giants HIT Brady 8-12 times you already know how the game turned out.

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 12:56 PM

I think we are going to have our hands full stopping Wilfork up the middle.* I don't think Bass can handle him.* Pressure up the middle will cause problems for Eli.

Agreed, that is a really bad matchup. Hopefully our other lineman can handle their assignments and allow us to double him safely.

Simmsy
01-30-2012, 01:20 PM

You're right that they were never 200-1, but they were 100-1 during midseason and Vegas insiders have admitted they will take a bath if we win because of all the Giants fans who jumped on those odds.Sorry, but that's just not accurate. When were they 100-1? When they were 6-2? Even at the season "low point" where they lost 4 straight, they were still tied for 1st in the division.

Nobody in Vegas is going to "take a bath" no matter who wins. That just isn't how Vegas operates.

BillTheGreek
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
IF I WAS Bellicheck, I WOULD CALL SUPERMAN & THE US MARINES...AND YOU KNOW WHAT, HE STILL WOULD NOT BEAT THE GIANTS !

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM

You're right that they were never 200-1, but they were 100-1 during midseason and Vegas insiders have admitted they will take a bath if we win because of all the Giants fans who jumped on those odds.Sorry, but that's just not accurate. When were they 100-1? When they were 6-2? Even at the season "low point" where they lost 4 straight, they were still tied for 1st in the division.

Nobody in Vegas is going to "take a bath" no matter who wins. That just isn't how Vegas operates.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oddsmakers-sweating-new-york-giants-in-playoffs-011012

you were saying?

burier
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Stop drinking all the Yager,

The Ravens have one pass rusher the Giants have 6.

And pass rush is Brady's Kryptonite so....

NYDestroyer
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
I hate this thread lol. On Defense the Pats biggest focus will be the giants pass rush. I think they will try to focus on protecting Brady above anything else, so he can stay on the field as long as possible. The giants must stop them on third downs.

On offense I believe they will blitz Eli if they can't get pressure on him early with 4. I don't believe they think they will be able to take away all our weapons, so they will focus on Eli like the 49ers did in the second half.

thomsoad
01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
I would bet money Bellichick is going to follow the same recipe he used to get us our SB against the Bills.

1) 7 DBs and 4 DL.
2) Absolutely PUNISH our WR's after the catch so they are more worried about getting hit then catching the ball.
3) For Pats to win Bradshaw needs to run for 100+ yards (that is not a typo)

We are in many ways just like the Bills in 90. Except they had the better running game.

nycisgreat
01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
2 TE Set on running outs. That seems to be our kryptonite with just one good TE. I am not sure how our defense would be able hold up again two excellent TEs. I could easily seen either Grad or Hernandez having a 150 or yards if we don't get to Brady.

RoanokeFan
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I do not believe they can win

Without Gronkowski, and with us having Bradshaw this time around , and with the re-birth of our D since some linemen got healthy, and Blackburn took over the middle- The Patriots face a formidible task. Before those things changed, we still beat them 24-20 in their own house. .

1- They would have to keep our WR's in front of them, stop our Running game

2- They have to protect Brady, with perhaps 2 tight ends in close most off the game

3- Wilfolk would have to have a huge game

4- They would have to win the Special Teams and Turnover battle.

5. Brady would have to come out and have a Phil Simms SB

With all this it would still be a close game......I really don't see The Patriots having much of a shot......It would be a Buster Mathis upset.......I know the Vegas odds but those are made to get more people to respect and bet the Patriots.......Vegas is still wayyyyyyyyyyy underwater with large pre-season Giant to win the SB bets..............Pre season Vegas foolishly gave 200-1 odds and bettors jumped all over that.....one guy bet 200,000 at 200-1......must be a REAL Giants fan that guy

The 49ers defense.

We also didn't have Nicks last time around.

gmen46
01-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Run the no-huddle frequently.

If they can run the no-huddle well we're going to be in a lot of trouble.

That would be a tremendous irony if that happened, wouldn't it, given that Defensive Coordinator Belichick has his Super Bowl XXV defensive game plan vs the Bills in the Hall of Fame. A defensive scheme designed to STOP arguably the best no huddle offense in NFL history.

Aside from that, I would agree that the Pats will very likely use the no-huddle situationally, and that the Giants COULD struggle with that, when it happens.

But there is no way--NO way--the Pats will use that for the majority of the game or the majority of their possessions.

And although early this season the Giants did have noticeable problems with teams that did use no-huddle effectively (notably the Seahawks?), near the end of the season those teams using no-huddle vs Gmen had very little success.

gmen46
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM

Hmmmm. Where have I heard that before?

It has such a familiar ring to it, but I just can't put my finger on where I heard it...........................

Simmsy
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oddsmakers-sweating-new-york-giants-in-playoffs-011012

you were saying?What I was saying is that no one in Vegas had the Giants at 100-to-1. What part of that comment do you not understand?

The writer of your article is an idiot. Bovada is Bodog, which is an offshore sportsbook (but I believe may now be based in Canada). They are neither based in, nor do they operate in, Las Vegas. Right now it is not legal for a Vegas sportsbook to allow internet gambling. I have no idea what offshore and non-American sportsbooks odds are, nor have I ever claimed to.

Furthermore, one offshore sportsbook having the Giants at 100-1 for one single day is a far cry from Las Vegas "taking a bath" on the Giants. Offshore sportsbooks can do stupid stuff like that because if they lose big, they can just go out of business and screw all their customers out of the money.

BTW, they use the domain bovada.lv with the hope that people think the "lv" stands for Las Vegas. LV is actually the country code for Latvia. I guess some people are more easily fooled than others.

gmen46
01-30-2012, 03:32 PM

First, I admit that as long as Belichick is the HC and Brady is the QB across the field from us, I will be nervous about a game's outcome and will always respect what their team can do.

Having said that, the argument is not so much about who will win--because, after all, no one is Nostradomus regardless of how much we all like to pretend to be--or who will "smash" who, but it is about what our respective team's chances of winning are, in THIS particular game in this particular weekend.

Allowing for natural fan base bias, many of us have a legitimate reason to believe the Gmen have a much better than 50-50 chance to win this Super Bowl, unlike our chances in 2008.

As to your rhetorical question comparing our defense RIGHT NOW vs the Ravens defense, the Giants defense over the past 5 games has been playing at LEAST equal to the Ravens defense (forget that "close to" nonsense) at their best this season, yes.

It may well be YOU who has drunk so much "Ravens Have the Best Defense In The World" Kool-Aid that you are missing what is happening this post season.

Words like "wake up", smell coffee" come to mind.

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM

you were saying?What I was saying is that no one in Vegas had the Giants at 100-to-1. What part of that comment do you not understand?

The writer of your article is an idiot. Bovada is Bodog, which is an offshore sportsbook (but I believe may now be based in Canada). They are neither based in, nor do they operate in, Las Vegas. Right now it is not legal for a Vegas sportsbook to allow internet gambling. I have no idea what offshore and non-American sportsbooks odds are, nor have I ever claimed to.

Furthermore, one offshore sportsbook having the Giants at 100-1 for one single day is a far cry from Las Vegas "taking a bath" on the Giants. Offshore sportsbooks can do stupid stuff like that because if they lose big, they can just go out of business and screw all their customers out of the money.

BTW, they use the domain bovada.lv with the hope that people think the "lv" stands for Las Vegas. LV is actually the country code for Latvia. I guess some people are more easily fooled than others.

Oops, wrong again. This article has a Nevada sportsbook at 100-1.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/mc-fbn-giants-betting-20120130,0,6469754.story

bandwgn86
01-30-2012, 04:27 PM
If I was Belichick, I would pretty much invite the Giants to run on every single play. I just wouldn't be afraid of Bradshaw even remotely as much as I would be afraid of Nicks and Cruz. BTW, you do realize the Patriots are *favored* right? So if they win, I don't think too many people would be ranking it alongside one of the biggest upsets of all time. The Vegas odds are what they are in order to get equal action on both teams. The line has been 3 since it opened so that tells us that half the betting public is taking NE and half is taking NY. Also, the NY Giants were *never* a 200-1 underdog to win the Super Bowl. They were 20-1 (big difference). Vegas is not "underwater" with anything. They didn't build all them palaces in the desert by losing money. If they Giants win, they'll pay that 20-1 with all the money people lost on all the 31 other teams. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8863455 You're right that they were never 200-1, but they were 100-1 during midseason and Vegas insiders have admitted they will take a bath if we win because of all the Giants fans who jumped on those odds.Sorry, but that's just not accurate. When were they 100-1? When they were 6-2? Even at the season "low point" where they lost 4 straight, they were still tied for 1st in the division. Nobody in Vegas is going to "take a bath" no matter who wins. That just isn't how Vegas operates. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oddsmakers-sweating-new-york-giants-in-playoffs-011012 you were saying?What I was saying is that no one in Vegas had the Giants at 100-to-1. What part of that comment do you not understand? The writer of your article is an idiot. Bovada is Bodog, which is an offshore sportsbook (but I believe may now be based in Canada). They are neither based in, nor do they operate in, Las Vegas. Right now it is not legal for a Vegas sportsbook to allow internet gambling. I have no idea what offshore and non-American sportsbooks odds are, nor have I ever claimed to. Furthermore, one offshore sportsbook having the Giants at 100-1 for one single day is a far cry from Las Vegas "taking a bath" on the Giants. Offshore sportsbooks can do stupid stuff like that because if they lose big, they can just go out of business and screw all their customers out of the money. BTW, they use the domain bovada.lv with the hope that people think the "lv" stands for Las Vegas. LV is actually the country code for Latvia. I guess some people are more easily fooled than others.ohhh sure use the ol' "blame Canada"

MikeIsaGiant
01-30-2012, 04:30 PM
I'd spygate first, and then gameplan accordingly

OX1
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Highly comical that after the last game, you think Eli is even slightly rattleable.

01-30-2012, 04:49 PM

I agree about a close game. Thread is about what you woulkd have Belicheck do. OK, Tom already tipped his hand about getting rid of the ball quickly. Quick slants, Welker quick outs short distance, move the chains. They will run, and be able to. Fernandez is a pretty good Tight end and God Love the Giants, but they will not get to Brady EVERY down. I think this is going to be a lot tougher than folks think. Pats are relaxed, Bellicheck is smiling .... Like they know something. I would feel better if we did way less talking (players) their guys arenot saying a peep. THAT speaks volumes.

NYGRealityCheck
01-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Bill Belichick's gameplan against the Giants: Just bend over and accept his fate.

brad
01-30-2012, 06:19 PM

I agree with this... to counter it I think the Giants will go into a Heavy Nickel D, using 3 safeties... should the Pats decide to run against that, it's just a bonus because that means Brady isn't throwing it.

Voldamort
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
it was 90-1 I never saw it go to 200-1,The Giants are winning the Superbowl 46!!! Take the 3pts!!

NYCDBS
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
.Pre season Vegas* foolishly gave 200-1 odds and bettors jumped all over that.....one guy bet 200,000 at 200-1......must be a REAL Giants fan that guy

Link please. I don't think even the Rams got 200-1. I remember the Giants getting 50-1 preseason and 100-1 for a brief period during the season when we were 6-6.

Seriously??? That's insane...I layed 100 bucks at 15-1 at the end of July... When was it 50-1?

BParcells777
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM

LOL

You remind me of my ex-wife

cannot admit you are wrong :O(

Pierre-Paul
01-30-2012, 10:43 PM
To answer the OP question... On O, I would try and spread us out by going 4 and 5 wide, shotgun sets. Hurry up on plays to try and catch us while switching personnel. It's not too hard to predict when we will start switching guys, when we do, line up and snap the ball. I think we can get caught once or twice there, and the rest of the game we will be less likely to switch personnel in the middle of drives.
On D, I would try whatever I could to crowd the box and rattle Eli. Pressure up the middle is key, and then jump his hot read for a pick when he gets flustered. If they wait for him to find a guy, they are dead. They can't cover our receiver for more than 3 seconds or so. Better to take a bunch of chances. They might pick off a few passes.

bgblucru5656
01-30-2012, 10:57 PM

Um, I specifically recall someone saying, prior to superbowl 42, "we're only gonna score 17 points?" pretty ironic they only scored 14. Just Sayin

BParcells777
01-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Their only hope is if they are able to run the ball and take away our running attack

That opens up play action for them and takes it away from us

With Wilfolk they certainly can contain the run if hes motivated (a big IF)

othermanning
01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
The Patriots played 8 of the Top 10 sacking defenses this year and only allowed 13 sacks in those games. Partly because they have a good offensive line but also because they ran a very effective no huddle offense that wore the D-line of their oppenents out. They run a much quicker and shorter style passing game than 2007 which allows Brady to really push tempo. Also I would guess Belicheck is preaching ball security. It took 4 Patriots turnovers for the Giants to win the game this year. Both teams had injuries and are healthier this time around. Neither team can afford to lose the TO battle by more than 1.

BParcells777
01-31-2012, 01:24 PM
The Patriots played 8 of the Top 10 sacking defenses this year and only allowed 13 sacks in those games. Partly because they have a good offensive line but also because they ran a very effective no huddle offense that wore the D-line of their oppenents out. They run a much quicker and shorter style passing game than 2007 which allows Brady to really push tempo. Also I would guess Belicheck is preaching ball security. It took 4 Patriots turnovers for the Giants to win the game this year. Both teams had injuries and are healthier this time around. Neither team can afford to lose the TO battle by more than 1.

Are you a Partiots fan?

jhamburg
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
The Patriots played 8 of the Top 10 sacking defenses this year and only allowed 13 sacks in those games. Partly because they have a good offensive line but also because they ran a very effective no huddle offense that wore the D-line of their oppenents out.*** They run a much quicker and shorter style passing game than 2007 which allows Brady to really push tempo.** Also I would guess Belicheck is preaching ball security.* It took 4 Patriots turnovers for the Giants to win the game this year.* Both teams had injuries and are healthier this time around. Neither team can afford to lose the TO battle by more than 1.

Pats had huge leads in the 2nd half of so many of their games, so of course they get a lot more sack opportunities. Believe me their pass rush is not great, not on a par with ours at all. Of course our pass protection has been bad so we'll still have issues there though.