PDA

View Full Version : Honest Debate: Tom Coughlin v Bill Belichick

NYNEWYORK
01-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I understand that bill is a genius but I read something today that made me think that there is something to be said for Tom's style of just meticulous attention to detail and hard drilling. Im sure Bill does the same thing but from what I understand Tom Coughlin takes it to another level. He's also just less of an ***. Check out the article and let me know what you think

http://theheroesandvillains.com/handv/H_%26_V_-_Tom_Coughlin_v_Bill_Belichick.html

MattMeyerBud
01-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I understand that bill is a genius but I read something today that made me think that there is something to be said for Tom's style of just meticulous attention to detail and hard drilling. Im sure Bill does the same thing but from what I understand Tom Coughlin takes it to another level. He's also just less of an ***. Check out the article and let me know what you think

http://theheroesandvillains.com/handv/H_%26_V_-_Tom_Coughlin_v_Bill_Belichick.html
Belichick's history speaks for itself...

Tom is great, but BB will go down top 3 all time

RoanokeFan
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Coughlin's catching up with another win on Sunday [;)]

NYNEWYORK
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
lol slowly but surely catching up

burier
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Spygate

No Spygate.

That simple.

/Thread

JJC7301
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I understand that bill is a genius but I read something today that made me think that there is something to be said for Tom's style of just meticulous attention to detail and hard drilling. Im sure Bill does the same thing but from what I understand Tom Coughlin takes it to another level. He's also just less of an ***. Check out the article and let me know what you think http://theheroesandvillains.com/handv/H_%26_V_-_Tom_Coughlin_v_Bill_Belichick.html

</P>

+1. Hopefully, we'll win SB 46 and then get TC a 3rd ring before he retires and put him in the "one of the greats of all time" conversation.</P>

Still, not too many DCs can say that they have their SB defensive plan in Canton like BB does for SB 25.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
01-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I think with BB we could have won about 3 SBs already, to be quite honest.

He's a great coach and this team has had a lot of talent in the past years.

But I love TC and he has accomplished a lot

bflo23
01-30-2012, 03:01 PM

History speaks for itself? Totally agree.

SPYGATE

thomsoad
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I find it amusing that Coughlin went from being fired to being compared to Belichick in all of a month and a half.

nycisgreat
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM

I agree. Belichik, has a proven track record. I like Coughlin, but he has alot more to accomplish before I can put him in same conversation with BB.

Kruunch
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM

Yeah TC would only need THREE more SB appearances AFTER this one.

TC is very good ... Bellichik is great.

Historically speaking.

nycisgreat
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I find it amusing that Coughlin went from being fired to being compared to Belichick in all of a month and a half.

lmao! I agree.

If talks of firing him would yeild results like this season, I am pretty sure the ones that were calling for his head would do it every season.

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Belichick has won more super bowls for the Giants than Coughlin has.

burier
01-30-2012, 03:11 PM
every time Bill Belichick comes up on this message board I am reminded of how deluded some of you are.

Oh and good Job unfavorably comparing our coach to a dirtbag cheater.

With fans like these who needs rivals?

byron
01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
to fine football coaches end of the story for me....I'm sure somebody will write a book about tho called Hardass and Cheaters

Dover Giant
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
As far as pure coaching TC is probably better.
BB has had a lot of success mostly because he was surrounded by superior talent.
But any coach that can take a team too two SB's when they were given no chance at the beginnning of the year and being the dog in all the playoffs is a special coach

jhamburg
01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
every time Bill Belichick comes up on this message board I am reminded of how deluded some of you are.

Oh and good Job unfavorably comparing our coach to a dirtbag cheater.

With fans like these who needs rivals?

We weren't comparing character, obviously there's no comparison there.

Barry Bonds is a dirtbag cheater, that doesn't mean I can't say he is/was a better hitter than Jeter though.

RoanokeFan
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Historically speaking.

If TC wins this one, and I think he will, he's likely to make the Hall of Fame.

SweetZombieJesus
01-30-2012, 04:36 PM
BB won 3 in 4 years and this will be his 5th appearance in 11 years.

The Pats that won those 3 SBs were scrappy fighters, not the dominant Brady-ites that we think of today.

Missed the playoffs only thrice, kept the team competitive when Brady was lost for the season.

.737 winning percentage, which is freaking INSANE.

Just about the only knock is that, like Coughlin's teams, they were booted from the playoffs in the first round two years in a row.

If Coughlin coaches for another 5 years and makes another 3 Super Bowls then talk, but BB is on a plane with very few coaches in history.

Of course if Tom can bring home #2 next week, that's still fairly rare I think there have only been 12 coaches to win multiple SBs -- Lombardi, Shula, Knoll, Landry, Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs, Johnson, Shanahan, Belichick, Siefert, who am I missing? How many of those guys are not Hall worthy?

Bohemian
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Here is a question regarding Coughlin? Is there a documentary about our coach? I am very intrigued about learning more about his history and character.

Go Blue!

Kruunch
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Historically speaking.

If TC wins this one, and I think he will, he's likely to make the Hall of Fame.

Oh I agree .... but the debate was TC vs. BB. In that regard, TC has a ways to go before reaching the same accomplishment level.

Kruunch
01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Here is a question regarding Coughlin?* Is there a documentary about our coach? I am very intrigued about learning more about his history and character.*

Go Blue!

He hasn't changed expressions in 65 years.

Nuff said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Coughlin

Coughlin's biggest mystery (to me) was why he never went pro after college (he was a great college receiver), instead going right into coaching.

His greatest accomplishments after college were turning around the program at BC, having the most success of any starting expansion team in NFL history (Jaguars) and then winning Super Bowl 42 and 46 (heh) with the Giants.

Ironically most people think because of his demeanor he's a defensive minded coach, but he's always been on the offensive side of things.

He was also offered the Giants Head Coaching job after Parcels left but decided to go to Boston College instead (a puzzling choice at the time). He was again offered the HC job in 1993 but chose to stay at BC.

I guess third time was the charm.