PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Conerly

THE_New_York_Giants
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
He was a great QB for the Giants. Just thought I'd give him some love as it's not a name that's thrown around enough.

stormblue
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
He was a great QB for the Giants. Just thought I'd give him some love as it's not a name that's thrown around enough.

he's prolly 3rd on giants all time behind Phil and
Eli

chasjay
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
He (along with Jimmy Patton) is why I'm a Giants fan. My Dad got me to pulling for the Giants because of the Ole Miss connection. I met C.C. at the Ole Miss spring football game in the 1960 - 1962 time frame - I had a rich friend whose Granddad took me along to games with them. After being introduced to him, I brazenly told him I had never received the autographed photo I had requested when I had written to him. He told me that he remembered the letter and apologized - two or three weeks later I received the autographed glossy. I guess he still had the letter because he never asked for my address while we were speaking.

I'm sure I've bored everyone to death with this, so I'll quit there. You need to be careful about stirring up memories with us old folks - born in '48 [:)]

stormblue
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
He (along with Jimmy Patton) is why I'm a Giants fan. My Dad got me to pulling for the Giants because of the Ole Miss connection. I met C.C. at the Ole Miss spring football game in the 1960 - 1962 time frame - I had a rich friend whose Granddad took me along to games with them. After being introduced to him, I brazenly told him I had never received the autographed photo I had requested when I had written to him. He told me that he remembered the letter and apologized - two or three weeks later I received the autographed glossy. I guess he still had the letter because he never asked for my address while we were speaking.

I'm sure I've bored everyone to death with this, so I'll quit there. You need to be careful about stirring up memories with us old folks - born in '48 [:)]

ramble on about it all you want....ink is free on
the internet.

firstgamein49
01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Back in '53 or '54, before the Gmen got good, some of the Giants were at an ice hockey game at MSG. As I heard the story, Connerly, Gifford, R. Brown and a few others were there. In those days, Connerly didn't have many weapons, and one of his best options was to throw the ball away w/o getting flagged for grounding. At some point in the game, some guy recognized Connerly, and started to boo and r*** him. Finally, Brown and a couple others stood up and started toward the who proceeded to run like scat out of the stands. All the Giants laughed and suggested signing the uy to a contract because he ran so fast!
I have fond memories of Chuck as under JL Howell the Giants became a power in the Eastern Div.
He threw a very soft, easy to handle pass according to all the reading I did as a kid. When Tittle came along, he was a better passer, but his ball was much harder to handle. Conerly was an exceptional ball handler back in the day when the Giants used the "belly series", and clearly the LB's in the game didn't know who had the ball. Charlie had been a tailback in the single wing in college, but after the Marines and college, was pretty old when he joined the Giants. For 3 or 4 years, he would stand on the sideline when the game started while Don Heinrich started and "probed" the defense for weaknesses. Then, Charlie'd come in and tear up the other team. He was the Marlboro man for awhile. Sorry I rambled even more! When your old, you lose track......

NYGRealityCheck
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Charlie Conerly was mentioned in the Pro Bowl as the second QB to have to most touchdown passes in their rookie season behind Peyton Manning. However, Mr. Conerly back in the 40s-50s probably did not have all these "soft" rules on WR coverages that Peyton (and the rest of the modern day QBs) had the luxury of working with in the modern era....

Gmen DLS
01-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I think the same when I tell about the day I became a Giants fan. Didn't bore me, I love these stories.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I think he'd throw for 50 TD's in todays NFL.

Periann
02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
That's a great story! My father was cousins with Charlie who was about 18 years older than my dad. You can imagine how thrilled my father was to grow up with such an incredible role model!

He certainly passed the admiration for Charlie down to his children. As a matter of fact, he named one of my brothers Charlie, and me Periann after Charlie's wife Perian.

I'm biased of course, but I think Charlie should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame!

SweetZombieJesus
02-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Eli

He gets overlooked because he was succeeded by YA Tittle but it sounds like Charlie was damned good in his own right.

bigjeep
02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
He was a great QB for the Giants. Just thought I'd give him some love as it's not a name that's thrown around enough. he's prolly 3rd on giants all time behind Phil and Eli

He gets overlooked because he was succeeded by YA Tittle but it sounds like Charlie was damned good in his own right.
</P>

Thats true as Tittle got us to the Championship game 3 times. But I remember a few games when Tittle was having a bad game and Charlie came off the bench and pulled us out of the fire. You don't see them pull QB's any more when they are having a bad game.</P>

RedskinHater
02-02-2012, 03:39 PM

True ! I'm one of " Them " ; born in '45 ![;)]

stormblue
02-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Eli

i never understood that , Tittle only played with the Giants from '61 to '64.
he was a colt his 1st 3 years and then a 49er for 10 years before coming to NY
he did real good for 2 of the 4 yrs with NY.
but for some reason people think he was a long time Giants legend or something......
17 years , only 4 with the Giants ...and 0 championships with anybody.zero , zip , nada.
and no NFL #1 records that i'm aware of.
like i said .....i don't get it.
Hostetler was here longer and got us a ring.

just sayin'.

bigjeep
02-02-2012, 03:50 PM
He was a great QB for the Giants. Just thought I'd give him some love as it's not a name that's thrown around enough. he's prolly 3rd on giants all time behind Phil and Eli

i never understood that , Tittle only played with the Giants from '61 to '64. he was a colt his 1st 3 years and then a 49er for 10 years before coming to NY he did real good for 2 of the 4 yrs with NY. but for some reason people think he was a long time Giants legend or something...... 17 years , only 4 with the Giants ...and 0 championships with anybody.zero , zip , nada. like i said .....i don't get it. Hostetler was here longer and got a ring. just sayin'.</P>

You are forgeting ( or not around ) that 2 of the loses were against the Greenbay Packers. The last at Yankee stadium with winds gusting to 40 mpr. That eliminated our passing game. Also we just weren't in their league. In my opinion, theywere the greatest football team of all time. In the loss to Chicago, Tittle got hurt early on and just wasn't the same. That was the one I thought we could win. </P>

ny06
02-02-2012, 03:58 PM
marlboro man (Charlie Conerly)</P>

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WJ3_s8ZYbQM/SG0useRNqrI/AAAAAAAAALc/816UmfGC09M/s320/ConerlyMarlboro.jpg</P>

stormblue
02-02-2012, 04:04 PM

i never understood that , Tittle only played with the Giants from '61 to '64. he was a colt his 1st 3 years and then a 49er for 10 years before coming to NY he did real good for 2 of the 4 yrs with NY. but for some reason people think he was a long time Giants legend or something...... 17 years , only 4 with the Giants ...and 0 championships with anybody.zero , zip , nada. like i said .....i don't get it. Hostetler was here longer and got a ring. just sayin'.</P>

You are forgeting that 2 of the loses were against the Greenbay Packers. The last at Yankee stadium with winds gusting to 40 mpr. That eliminated our passing game. Also we just weren't in their league. In my opinion, they*were the greatest football team of all time. In the loss to Chicago, Tittle got hurt early on and just wasn't the same. That was the one I thought we could win. </P>

like i said .... a couple good years,
nothing of legend , you know exactly what i'm talking about.

bigjeep
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM

You are forgeting that 2 of the loses were against the Greenbay Packers. The last at Yankee stadium with winds gusting to 40 mpr. That eliminated our passing game. Also we just weren't in their league. In my opinion, theywere the greatest football team of all time. In the loss to Chicago, Tittle got hurt early on and just wasn't the same. That was the one I thought we could win. </P>

like i said .... a couple good years, nothing of legend , you know exactly what i'm talking about.</P>

[:^)]</P>

Roosevelt
02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Back in '53 or '54, before the Gmen got good, some of the Giants were at an ice hockey game at MSG. As I heard the story, Connerly, Gifford, R. Brown and a few others were there. In those days, Connerly didn't have many weapons, and one of his best options was to throw the ball away w/o getting flagged for grounding. At some point in the game, some guy recognized Connerly, and started to boo and r*** him. Finally, Brown and a couple others stood up and started toward the who proceeded to run like scat out of the stands. All the Giants laughed and suggested signing the uy to a contract because he ran so fast!
I have fond memories of Chuck as under JL Howell the Giants became a power in the Eastern Div.
He threw a very soft, easy to handle pass according to all the reading I did as a kid. When Tittle came along, he was a better passer, but his ball was much harder to handle. Conerly was an exceptional ball handler back in the day when the Giants used the "belly series", and clearly the LB's in the game didn't know who had the ball. Charlie had been a tailback in the single wing in college, but after the Marines and college, was pretty old when he joined the Giants. <font size="4">For 3 or 4 years, he would stand on the sideline when the game started while Don Heinrich started and "probed" the defense for weaknesses. Then, Charlie'd come in and tear up the other team.</font> He was the Marlboro man for awhile. Sorry I rambled even more! When your old, you lose track......

Gifford thought that was so stupid, and said it had JL Howell's fingerprints all over it. Gifford had nothing nice to say about him.

But I tend to agree because if it was Vince, then why didn't do the same thing with Starr went he went to the Pack?