PDA

View Full Version : Don't take Gronkowski's injury lightly

hungrrrry
01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't believe that he is as hurt as they are saying...yes it is a high-ankle variety of sprain...but we don't know if it is the mild variety, moderate variety or the "don't play" variety. Since he did fly out...I would assume he is not hurt at all. Don't take it lightly and don't be an *** and assume we are at advantage because of this.</P>

Brady also has Hernandez who is also a decent TE with an exceptional QB throwing at him....lastly lets not take Welker for granted either.</P>

Be completely aware that if you let your guard down against Brady/Bellichek you will get burned.</P>

Over-confidence kills</P>

Firenugget
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Well he's having surgery after the SB so I'd say it can't be that good...Having said that, he'll play and we'll have to cover him regardless.

Also I think you're confusing fan over confidence with this issue and team over confidence. We can be as over confident as we want, it doesn't matter at all. As long as the team is in the right mindset (and I'm sure they will be...They aren't going to assume he's to hurt to play well) we'll be just fine.

brad
01-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Overconfidence by the players kills... Overconfidence by the fans, no impact on the outcome of the game whatsoever.

I can't imagine that the Giants are planning for this game without planning on him playing, they won't take this game lightly.

hungrrrry
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
I never said "as fans we shouldn't be overconfident"...I am making a statement to the team using the message board. I feel better that I say it if I don't see something on here that I feel needs to be said...don't panic.

swimeasy
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
No surprise. He didn't practice today. Also interesting about Vollmer.

<div class="ind bold headline" id="headline"><font size="4">Rob Gronkowski misses practice</font></div><span id="byline">Mike Reiss </span><span id="archive"> </span>
<span id="sourceline">ESPNBoston.com
</span><span id="date">January 30, 2012</span><span id="conversations">

</span>INDIANAPOLIS -- Injured New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski
did not practice Monday, according to head coach Bill Belichick, marking
the third straight practice he's missed since suffering a left high
ankle sprain in the AFC Championship Game.

On Sunday, when
Gronkowski was spotted wearing a boot on his left foot while getting off
the team's charter flight to Indianapolis, Belichick referred to his
status as "day to day."

Gronkowski has dominated headlines at
Super Bowl XLVI, in part because of his importance to the Patriots'
offense. He totaled 90 receptions for 1,327 yards and a tight-end record
17 touchdowns in the regular season and at 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds is a
dominant presence in the red zone. He started all 16 games and seldom,
if ever, comes off the field.

Considering the Patriots don't have
a backup for Gronkowski on the roster and that they run more than 80
percent of their snaps with two or more tight ends on the field, it's no
wonder his status is being monitored so closely.

Gronkowski's
high ankle sprain isn't the only pressing health-related issue for the
Patriots, as starting right tackle Sebastian Vollmer has missed the last
seven games with both foot and ankle injuries. Belichick said it's a
possibility that Vollmer (6-8, 315) could suit up in Super Bowl XLVI,
revealing that he had a cast removed prior to the Jan. 14
divisional-round playoff game against the Denver Broncos.

"I'd
say it's a possibility. Sebastian has gotten a lot better here over the
last few weeks," Belichick said. "He practiced last week before the
Baltimore game and I'd say it was close, but obviously wasn't ready to
go and we didn't activate him. This week, he's further along than what
he was before the Denver game.

"He practiced [Monday] so we'll
see how the week goes and see how he holds up, but I think there is
definitely a possibility. We'll just have to see how he tolerates the
added work and if he does well, I think you'll see him. If not, then it
will be where it was in Baltimore. I don't really know if we'll know
that until we put him through the full week of practice but he's
definitely making progress. So he's getting there."

Vollmer has
played in just six games this season, with five starts. He started at
right tackle in the Nov. 6 meeting between the Patriots and Giants -- a
24-20 Giants win -- which allowed the Patriots to use rookie offensive
tackle Nate Solder as a tight end on 23 of 78 snaps.

The Patriots
practiced in full pads at the Indianapolis Colts' indoor facility on
Monday. The team was also in full pads last Friday.

sharick88
01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't believe that he is as hurt as they are saying...yes it is a high-ankle variety of sprain...but we don't know if it is the mild variety, moderate variety or the "don't play" variety. Since he did fly out...I would assume he is not hurt at all. Don't take it lightly and don't be an *** and assume we are at advantage because of this.</P>

Brady also has Hernandez who is also a decent TE with an exceptional QB throwing at him....lastly lets not take Welker for granted either.</P>

Be completely aware that if you let your guard down against Brady/Bellichek you will get burned.</P>

Trust me, the giants are not taking this injury lightly at all. They will go into this game as if he is 100%. What makes you think that the team is overconfident?

GameTime
01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

</P>

hmmmm.....me thinks they know this. Its not something new.....</P>

Roosevelt
01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't think it matters how hurt he is.

Tom Coughlin will prepare his team as if he is going to play.

His injury will not affect our preparation.

B&RWarrior
01-30-2012, 08:29 PM
I saw Gronk walking off the plane. He wasn't even limping. Don't be surprised if he plays and plays well. Let us no forget what Emmit Smith did to us with a 3rd degree separated shoulder. We should prepare for a healthy Gronk and tackle low and get some hits on that ankle early and often.

On another note I see the article mentioned Belicheck has them practicing in pads. That's not a bad idea. I'd hate for us to loose our edge with the two week layoff.

BigBlueFanNJ
01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
i kick him right on that leg first play of the game if i was defending him!!

Voldamort
01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Woodhead and Branch?

HeGoesDeep
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
I'd go for a tackle and step on his cleat on "accident." lol

netplus
01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Let him catch a few short ones and tackle him by the ankles!

FBomb
01-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweep the leg.

calzonesays
01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
considering they had an injury report on Kyle Williams, I'm pretty sure they'll try to wrap the Gronk up by his ankles on gang tackles.

nYg24
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Better send a letter to the team and let them know...

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Sweep the leg.DO YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT???? Im with you on this one. SB is different stakes and you go ALL OUT and believe your team is ALL IN!!!!

Denaliman316
01-30-2012, 10:52 PM
See I am the opposite. I don't think he's doing as well as he showed yesterday. A walking boot makes a huge huge difference.

Gronk is 6'6 265 and has a high ankle sprain. Nothing will change that. I don't care how young he is it will affect his play.

Big Ben is 6'5 251 and rolled his ankle against the Browns. Played through and sucked.

Following week he sits out against the Rams and Charlie Batch wins the game anyway. Then out comes Big Ben for San Francisco and he was horrendous. That was sitting for seventeen days!! 1-7! Ben even said at the Pro Bowl yesterday his ankle was finally starting to feel better.

If this wasn't the Superbowl he would be sitting. No question. This is the same song and dance we heard with Romo.

Tuesday: Reporter asks "Tony how's the hand?" Tony answers "Good just a bruise. No worries."

Wednesday Tony "Feels great not wearing a glove!"

Thursday Tony "Healed I am good to go"

Friday wearing a glove "Just trying it out with a glove it's all good though."

Sunday night: Hey guys! *sticks out catchers mitt size purple hand".

If he plays he will be limited.

JJC7301
01-31-2012, 01:47 AM
I expect him to play like he's 100% and I assume that the Giants coaches and players are expecting him to be so as well.

JMFP2
01-31-2012, 01:59 AM
See I am the opposite. I don't think he's doing as well as he showed yesterday. A walking boot makes a huge huge difference. Gronk is 6'6 265 and has a high ankle sprain. Nothing will change that. I don't care how young he is it will affect his play. Big Ben is 6'5 251 and rolled his ankle against the Browns. Played through and sucked. Following week he sits out against the Rams and Charlie Batch wins the game anyway. Then out comes Big Ben for San Francisco and he was horrendous. That was sitting for seventeen days!! 1-7! Ben even said at the Pro Bowl yesterday his ankle was finally starting to feel better. If this wasn't the Superbowl he would be sitting. No question. This is the same song and dance we heard with Romo. Tuesday: Reporter asks "Tony how's the hand?" Tony answers "Good just a bruise. No worries." Wednesday Tony "Feels great not wearing a glove!" Thursday Tony "Healed I am good to go" Friday wearing a glove "Just trying it out with a glove it's all good though." Sunday night: Hey guys! *sticks out catchers mitt size purple hand". If he plays he will be limited.</P>

I agree.</P>

When I saw the replay of that injury, I thought he broke his ankle.</P>

He might play, but you've got to think the Giants aren't going to give him many free releases....he's going to have to prove he can push off on that ankle.</P>

suzyq
01-31-2012, 06:48 AM
i agree. we need to plan our game around Gronk playing. It would kill BB if Gronk could not play. don't worry guys, Gronk will be out there.

CTLadyBlue
01-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Am I the only one sick and tired of all this 'Gronk' talk? Yes, the man is a talented beast - not discounting that, but OMG, stop bellyaching about him! He's NOT the 'be all, end all' of the Pats. His being on the field is NOT a hinge-pin as to whether the Pats win or lose. If I were Welker and Hernandez I'd be feeling like crap right now that the media is placing so much emphasis on this guy and little on their ability to get the job done in his absence.

He's a human being - not some mythical creature. He CAN be beat - healthy or injured. NO player is unstoppable. It all comes down to our preparation and how well we execute, but no ONE player is a sole difference.

We faced opposing beasts all season. And, yeah, we heard the same crap four years ago when we were supposed to be in knots on how to cover Moss or T.O. or whomever. All this focus on Gronk in the media is sickening. .I was watching ESPN while doing my cardio at the gym yesterday and I swear there were several sidebars just dedicated to this guy. Man, enough. It's almost like they're trying to use the 'will he, won't he' to psyche the Giants out, but they won't be fooled. They're preparing for this guy whether he's on the field or on the bench and will NOT treat him with kid gloves.

But, really....enough already. JMO

Firenugget
01-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Am I the only one sick and tired of all this 'Gronk' talk? Yes, the man is a talented beast - not discounting that, but OMG, stop bellyaching about him! He's NOT the 'be all, end all' of the Pats. <font size="5"><u> His being on the field is NOT a hinge-pin as to whether the Pats win or lose.</u></font> If I were Welker and Hernandez I'd be feeling like crap right now that the media is placing so much emphasis on this guy and little on their ability to get the job done in his absence.

He's a human being - not some mythical creature. He CAN be beat - healthy or injured. NO player is unstoppable. It all comes down to our preparation and how well we execute, but no ONE player is a sole difference.

We faced opposing beasts all season. And, yeah, we heard the same crap four years ago when we were supposed to be in knots on how to cover Moss or T.O. or whomever. All this focus on Gronk in the media is sickening. .I was watching ESPN while doing my cardio at the gym yesterday and I swear there were several sidebars just dedicated to this guy. Man, enough. It's almost like they're trying to use the 'will he, won't he' to psyche the Giants out, but they won't be fooled. They're preparing for this guy whether he's on the field or on the bench and will NOT treat him with kid gloves.

But, really....enough already. JMO

Actually it probably is. He's their top threat for sure. However I think Welker deserves alot of the credit to begin with. If he doesn't have DB's pulling their hair out trying to cover him all over the field, I don't think Gronkowski does nearly as well.

But overall I do agree that the obsession with this guy is tiresome.

Big Blue 418
01-31-2012, 08:42 AM
The Patriots have a 61 percent chance of winning with Gron and a 51 percent without him according to computer projections ...

nygsb42champs
01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
He is playing for sure. He does need surgery after the season so there is a injury for sure. To what extent nobody knows for sure.

Kruunch
01-31-2012, 09:32 AM

I agree and I'd never believe an injury report coming out of New England while BB is the coach.

However if true, he's still apt to be a threat.

Dwight Freeney had a high ankle sprain during the last Colts Super Bowl and he dominated in the first half (then the drugs wore off and he was sidelined).

Lets hope the outcome is the same for the Pats though.

keyofgmen
01-31-2012, 09:41 AM

Yeah right...BB is so smart and cunning the he holds his #1 offensive weapon out of practice on the Monday of SB week to fool the other team...yeah right...he isn't hurt..please.

G-Man67
01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
it's going to affect him and we as fans have every right to factor it in to our thinking, now obviously the players have to assume he'll be 100% and approach him that way

hungrrrry
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Gronkowski is NE's #1 skill threat because he is a big dude with good hands, so he is an easy target to build bradys confidence but because they have Welker as a speedy WR then it can create coverage issues, especially if Hernandez is on the field. He also is talented but a likely third or fourth option with BJG Ellis. I think our LBs will be tested heavily with a no-huddle offense. If Gronkowski is healthy he gives Brady a great target to dump the ball off quickly when the pass-rush is getting in there. Then when the LB tries to cheat he will burn them with Welker or BJGE</P>

Every play has to be executed like it is the last play of their lives</P>