PDA

View Full Version : Most Giants Fans Wanted Coughlin Out of Here This Season...

SackingMyths
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Why do I keep hearing this over and over again from every analyst and expert? It's so untrue.

Another Media creation that I'm glad TC takes in stride, and better yet, that rallies his team to play for him to "keep his job."

*Sigh*

burier
01-31-2012, 01:29 PM
to be fair there were two losses this season that I think heated TC seat a little.

Those being the Saints and Redskins games.

I didn't get the feeling the fans wanted Coughlin fired at any point this season (I certainly didnt) but it would be hard to justify retaining him had we collapsed again.

RonJon
01-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Coughlin had a great answer to the questions about his job status

"I've been fired every year since I've been here. I respectfully don't pay attention"

SweetZombieJesus
01-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Things were certainly building. Coughlin lost me during the 2010 Eagles collapse (for allowing players to celebrate prematurely which Parcells would not have allowed; for watching a 28 point comeback in 7:30; for not being prepared for the onsides kick; for throwing Dodge under the bus after the game).

He's been on one year contract extensions for how long now?

The regulars are going to be sick of hearing this, but you don't seem like one of the regulars since you just joined...

I, for example, liked Coughlin as a person and wanted him to succeed, but you had to look at his performance.

<ul> Missing the playoffs 2 years in a row and looking like 3. Losing Nov/Dec record (I think 31-42) Late season collapses 7 out of 8 years (including this year).
Big game no-shows. Such as the last game at Giants Stadium in 2009
which they lost badly it was like 44-9. Or the 2005 playoff loss to the
Panthers, similar score. Blowing the #1 seed in 2008 losing to the Eagles at home. Those plus the 2010 Eagles meltdown mean
Coughlin's presided over some of the most embarrassing losses in
franchise history. First round playoff exits 3x and no home playoff wins (until this year's win over the Falcons).[/list]

All those things put together meant you have to consider where this coaching regime is going. They point to bad football, and most worrisome you generally don't want to be playing your worst football at the end of the year.

I thought it was very similar to Joe Torre's 2nd half career with the Yankees -- mostly good but not getting it done anymore and living off past reputation, hoping for the magic to return.

And then, unlike Torre, the magic did return. Can't explain it.

But for whatever reasons, we get this magical wake-up postseason run every 4 years so I vowed to get off Coughlin's back if he won his first home playoff game, which he did.

Really I still think those things point to major problems but what am I going to do, throw away two great runs?

egyptian420
01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
I've said all season long that if we don't make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row, it might be time for him to leave.

Should I be eating crow or not?

G-Man67
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
i wouldn't say most fans, but those very outspoken, negative fans certainly did

in fact, once they realized that he would not be fired, they shifted gears over to ... well maybe he'll retire if we win to leave on a position note ... riding off into the sunset ... so they still want him gone

bgblucru5656
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
it was the 3rd game of the skid. it happens every year. it always has. fire coughlin, fire killdrive and fire fewell. when that happens, the giants pick up their game and get back to winning

bgblucru5656
01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Coughlin had a great answer to the questions about his job status

"I've been fired every year since I've been here. I respectfully don't pay attention"
the end of that quote? "Unless it affects my family."

YATittle1962
01-31-2012, 02:03 PM
never heard any of that from me

NYG 5
01-31-2012, 02:03 PM
i always liked TC, but at the dark point in the season, i thought his staff needed to be overhauled, at the least.

i thought that if he doesn't micromanage every little thing the way belicheat does, then he needs to bring in young minds. thats still really the case though, he isn't a coordinator by trade, so the team always has a revolving door at the OC, DC, and ST coach positions. its not like Parcells who had Belichick controlling the defense almost everywhere he went. even with the Cowboys, he had Wade who is a very good defensive coordinator. Coughlin has had Tim Lewis, Spags, Sheridan, Fewell ( who will most likely become HC in a year)on defense, and Huff and Killdrive (same situation).

i will say that while schemes have always been a roller coaster under TC, i think player development has been a lot better since Fassel. while TC might not have coordinator skill by trade, he's good at developing players across the board, especially OL, WR, CB, and Special Teams.

Kruunch
01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Why do I keep hearing this over and over again from every analyst and expert? It's so untrue.

Another Media creation that I'm glad TC takes in stride, and better yet, that rallies his team to play for him to "keep his job."

*Sigh*
'

Are you serious? Did you just plug your ears and close your eyes for the first 3/4 of season?

And if TC didn't make the playoffs for the third straight season in a row he SHOULD have been gone (and most likely would have been).

Everyone on the boards and in the media was screaming for his head during the second half slide (tm) and especially after the second loss to the Redskins.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
My support for Coach Coughlin is well documented on here, ask anyone.

Never ONCE have I ever differed from Tom Coughlin. Not this season not seasons past.. never once.

I love the guy I think he is one of the best coaches of all time(not just Giants) &amp; still under appreciated.

I wanted Gilbride &amp; Fewell fired but that's because Fewell was wildly inconsistent this season but has picked it up towards the end of season &amp; playoffs &amp; absolutely want him back now.

He can call a masterful game. Just a genius game.

SackingMyths
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
In 07', particularly after the Minnesota game (which put quite a whoopin' on my liver), you could tangibly feel that most thought Coughlin needed to go. We ended up gladly eating crow (myself included) after that run, and I haven't heard those kinds of cries for his job since.

08- That's on Plax
09- That's on Sheridan
10- Matt Dodge

He really never took the brunt of it since his SB victory, from a fanbase perspective.

This season, yeah, we were all frustrated by the 3rd/4th loss, but seriously- our fanbase is too loyal to just cast him aside after what he's done for us. And you're always gonna have detractors on here, one way or another, but I seriously doubt that the Media derived this "opinion" of us wanting him to go from the Giants Message board. I wish we were that important.

It just doesn't feel anywhere near what they're making it out to be, and it irks me that the guy even has to answer these questions every week. This is just the impression I get from the radio, from when I've lurked the boards in silence, and from fellow Giants fans whom I talk to all the time.

I have such a deep-admiration for the guy because of his toughness, his charity (The Jay Fund), and his willingness to change...not an easy thing to do when you're 60 yrs +. It's nice to see good people rewarded for being just that, and I guess on some level, that I just feel he isn't being treated fairly, while Fat Rex gets a free pass.

SackingMyths
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM

*Sigh*
'

Are you serious? Did you just plug your ears and close your eyes for the first 3/4 of season?

And if TC didn't make the playoffs for the third straight season in a row he SHOULD have been gone (and most likely would have been).

Everyone on the boards and in the media was screaming for his head during the second half slide (tm) and especially after the second loss to the Redskins.

Interesting theory...but incorrect.

I guess I have selective hearing for rational fans and tune out the nimrods.

Kruunch
01-31-2012, 02:22 PM

*Sigh*
'

I guess I have selective hearing

You would be correct sir.

JJC7301
01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
There were fans calling for his head during this year, but I don't feel the majority were.</P>

To be honest, the Giants were disappointing the past few years -- something just wasn't "right" with them.I would have kept TC around for one more year due to our injuries, but I would have understood if JR and the Maras and Tischs wanted to move on.</P>

SackingMyths
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
There were fans calling for his head during this year, but I don't feel the majority were.</p>

</p>

And that's my whole point. You could go on every team's message board after a loss and you'll have fans calling for the coaches head(s).
</p>

He's picked on, and it's annoying. That is all.
</p>

nygsb42champs
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
If we had collapsed again it would have been very hard to see him returning. This team hung in there for him and look where we are now.

nycisgreat
01-31-2012, 03:11 PM

*Sigh*

I am big time supporter TC. I never wanted him out. KG and Fewell is another story.

I still dislike KG, but I have to admit that he has beening calling a pretty good game lately. Eli has been carrying this team all season. I have to admit that I haven't called for KG head since the first Redskins game. I thought KG had a pretty good year.

Fewell on the other, at one point in the season I thought his play calling and game planninh was far worst then Bill Sheridan. I absolutely wanted him out when he was dropping our d-linemen into coverage.

thomsoad
01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I never blamed Coughlin for this year. I just always remembered that we were absolutely devestasted by way of free agency and injuries. Our secondary was just crushed at the beginning of the year. Plus we lose S Smith and Boss? Not two mention dropping two starters from our Oline.

Nobody saw Cruz coming. Our Defense took awhile to gel and we are still even now hurting from the losses of TT, Marvin Austin, and Sintim
I stated beginning of the year this team was 8-8 or 9-7 at best. Which "technically" I am correct on. :)

Coughlin should get Coach of the Year for what he has done with this team.

SackingMyths
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
If we had collapsed again it would have been very hard to see him returning. This team hung in there for him and look where we are now.

[B]

Easy-Duz-It
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM

*Sigh*

haha. are you kidding me? i always wanted coughlin to stay personally, but clearly you didn't read these boards much during the regular season.

SackingMyths
01-31-2012, 04:26 PM

*Sigh*

haha. are you kidding me? i always wanted coughlin to stay personally, but clearly you didn't read these boards much during the regular season.

Missing what I'm saying completely. The Media makes it sound like the entire fanbase wanted him out of here. That's all I'm trying to say, fellas. You guys are bringing up the predictable threads of the frustrated fans and making it sound like it represented the majority, when I'm sure if I cared to do some digging, I'd find "Fire Coughlin" threads and a ton of fans telling the OP to "shut it".

If you were just a casual fan or out of the NYC market, then you're going to think that our entire fanbase wanted TC out of here. Within this very thread, you have a good 85% of people saying that they never wanted him fired. I really cannot explain this any more clearly, so I won't.

I have plenty of friends who are Jets fans and they were saying to fire Rex for a while now. Does the media ever mention that? No...

NYDestroyer
01-31-2012, 05:33 PM
I was one of those Fans that wanted Coughlin Fired and I don't take it back simple because the Giants had no right losing to the Seahawks and Eagles at home and getting swept by the pathetic Redskins. I felt Coughlin was a coach who couldn't get his team to play at their best in the face of injuries even against bad teams. So you can't blame Giant Fans, we are knowledgeable and know the game. Coughlin is a good coach no doubt and I hope he continues to be the Giants head coach for as long as he want. I just hope he can get the Giants to be consistent throughout the regular season.

JesseJames
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
the way the team was playing and losing during this season it would be hard for a lot of guys to not want some one else in here next season. Right now I'm at a loss to explain the sudden turnaround with the team. Is it people getting healthy, or guys suddenly understanding the defensive scheme, I just don't know..

Firenugget
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I think 90% of the people talking about it were pretty clear that if we missed the playoffs or had a 1 and done they'd want a change.

I see nothing wrong with that logic. Fortunately we don't have to worry about it seeing as how we obviously got here and ran through.

The other 10% are the people you can never please or just trolls.