PDA

View Full Version : Please Make The SB Media Blitz STOP Already!

bigblue58
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Wall to wall Super Bowl 46 coverage has become downright Kardashian-esque in an overly talked about to the point that I want to tear my hair out sense!!!
I want the game to get here and the talking about it to cease immediately if not sooner!!!!!!

stormblue
01-31-2012, 07:44 PM
it's like this every year......
at least this year its about us.

weeds123
01-31-2012, 07:53 PM
It's enough to drive you crazy isn't it?

...and they (the media, local and national) seem to zero in on the most stupid tidbits of useless fluff ... then, run with it over and over ... it got to the point last year where I couldn't even watch the local news in the evening not to even mention ESPN...it was just plain mind altering.

Last year though was mild compared to the 1996 season and the hype that lead up to Super Bowl 31 -- but, I do feel your pain.

stormblue
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM

...and they (the media, local and national) seem to zero in on the most stupid tidbits of useless fluff ... then, run with it over and over ... it got to the point last year where I couldn't even watch the local news in the evening not to even mention ESPN...it was just plain mind altering.

Last year though was mild compared to the 1996 season and the hype that lead up to Super Bowl 31 -- but, I do feel your pain.

not to mention your boy Favre and his retiring
for the last 5 years......yup, you guys gotta be sick of it.

by the way weeds , this is gonna be our fourth ring too.

SweetZombieJesus
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I was watching NFL network for a bit and some reporter asked Eli to name other famous Eli's. We have gone too far.

weeds123
02-01-2012, 08:31 PM

not to mention your boy Favre and his retiring
for the last 5 years......yup, you guys gotta be sick of it.

by the way weeds , this is gonna be our fourth ring too.

Favre was my boy?? Haha.. yeah, ok. I've never been a fan of individual players. I've never owned a jersey with a player number and name on it. Don't get me wrong...he was a helluva player, but when he retired after '07, I was ready to move on.

Incidentally, it'll be the Giants' 8th ring. A Giants fan should know full well that NFL existed long before some marketing schmuck came up with the "Super Bowl" schtick. Afterall, it's not our fault that our guys were winning championships before the Bears, Packers, Giants and Cardinals allowed all of these expansion franchises into the league...right?

jjj45
02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Incidentally, it'll be the Giants' 8th ring. A Giants fan should know full well that NFL existed long before some marketing schmuck came up with the "Super Bowl" schtick. Afterall, it's not our fault that our guys were winning championships before the Bears, Packers, Giants and Cardinals allowed all of these expansion franchises into the league...right?
lol you sound just like Eagles fans who try and justify their inadequacy.

Morris82
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I love it here in dc i dont have to listen to them talk about the wizards.

weeds123
02-01-2012, 08:38 PM

Not at all ... the Giants' fan said that the Giants only have 3 rings when in reality, they have 7. Going for 8.
Is that better?

Easy-Duz-It
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
dude. is this the first super bowl you've ever followed? it's always like this, and with the advances of social networking, and the popularity of espn, the hype will just get bigger and bigger every year.

get used to it...and more importantly, enjoy it. other teams fans would love to be watching their team on the news 24/7 for two weeks. i think it's marvelous.

not to mention, you have the choice to not pay attention to the media this week. just sayin.

jjj45
02-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Not at all ... the Giants' fan said that the Giants only have 3 rings when in reality, they have 7. Going for 8.
Is that better?
Yeah they had championships back then. But they aren't even close to the prestige of owning a Lombardi trophy. The level of competitiveness that the leagues has is greater than that before the 60's.

Being able to win a SB is a magnificent feat.

I know y'all out in Lambeau are proud the fact that your team dominated the league back then. And thats fine and all. But all people care about when discussing a franchise's success are Superbowls.

When teams displays their trophy case. There is one kind of trophy in there. The Lombardi.

The greatest prize in sports.

Pop it Ahmad
02-01-2012, 09:10 PM
There's only so much Giants Patriots to talk about.

What do you wanna exactly hear?

weeds123
02-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Is that better?
Yeah they had championships back then. But they aren't even close to the prestige of owning a Lombardi trophy. The level of competitiveness that the leagues has is greater than that before the 60's.

Being able to win a SB is a magnificent feat.

I know y'all out in Lambeau are proud the fact that your team dominated the league back then. And thats fine and all. But all people care about when discussing a franchise's success are Superbowls.

When teams displays their trophy case. There is one kind of trophy in there. The Lombardi.

The greatest prize in sports.

It's only the greatest prize in sports IF you're a fan of professional football. There are BILLIONS of people world-wide who would be able to successfully argue that winning the World Cup of Soccer is the greatest prize in sports. All a matter of perspective and, actually, how broad your view of the world is.

Now... allow me this: You make a sweeping generalization: "The level of competitiveness that the leagues has is greater than that before the 60's." I'd like you to prove that. I'm sure that you have all sorts of data to back that up...perhaps you even were alive and can relate first-hand experience to back that statement up. See, the thing about the ESPN generation is that you guys tend to believe that only those things that you, personally, remember are worth remembering. You guys are also big on debating just WHO is the greatest bottle washer of all time...hey, so be it. I'm not criticizing. I'm just stating the the New York Giants will have won 8 World Championships - if you choose to only recognize 4 due to your youthful inexperience and exhuberance, that's your choice. I'm fine with that.

But, explain to me how the NFL Championship the Green Bay Packers won after the '65 season is less than the NFL Championships they won following the '66 and '67 seasons, just because the NFL gave the Championship game a different name.

Do all of the World Series' won by the Yankees prior to 1968 suddenly not count?

Yeah... the Giants have 7 ... not 3. Hold up 10 fingers and let's count backwards, shall we?

jomo
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Deadly!

jjj45
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
It's only the greatest prize in sports IF you're a fan of professional football. There are BILLIONS of people world-wide who would be able to successfully argue that winning the World Cup of Soccer is the greatest prize in sports. All a matter of perspective and, actually, how broad your view of the world is.

Now... allow me this: You make a sweeping generalization: "The level of competitiveness that the leagues has is greater than that before the 60's." I'd like you to prove that. I'm sure that you have all sorts of data to back that up...perhaps you even were alive and can relate first-hand experience to back that statement up. See, the thing about the ESPN generation is that you guys tend to believe that only those things that you, personally, remember are worth remembering. You guys are also big on debating just WHO is the greatest bottle washer of all time...hey, so be it. I'm not criticizing. I'm just stating the the New York Giants will have won 8 World Championships - if you choose to only recognize 4 due to your youthful inexperience and exhuberance, that's your choice. I'm fine with that.

But, explain to me how the NFL Championship the Green Bay Packers won after the '65 season is less than the NFL Championships they won following the '66 and '67 seasons, just because the NFL gave the Championship game a different name.

Do all of the World Series' won by the Yankees prior to 1968 suddenly not count?

Yeah... the Giants have 7 ... not 3. Hold up 10 fingers and let's count backwards, shall we?
Alright, for clarification, greatest prize in AMERICAN sports. better?

I am in my twenties, so no, I wasn't around... but wouldn't having the AFC vs. the NFC add a more competitive edge? A greater amount of teams going at it? Maybe not....

I guess the point Im trying to make is that Superbowls are more relevant today. This is the modern NFL. The only teams I really see cling to their old championships are GB and Eagles fans.

I'd imagine so because GB thinks they are the premier franchise (debatable)

And Eagles fans because they dont have a SB. Its really just insecurity. They know it is the creme de la creme and it burns them up inside. Knowing that they have not attained it.

If you dont agree with this then okay. It is just a mere observation of mine.

miked1958
02-01-2012, 09:51 PM

Hopefully we get that 4th SB ring and 8th Title.
And who knows it could be you again listening to the two weeks of hype next season

Easy-Duz-It
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM

Now... allow me this:* You make a sweeping generalization: "The level of competitiveness that the leagues has is greater than that before the 60's."* I'd like you to prove that. I'm sure that you have all sorts of data to back that up...perhaps you even were alive and can relate first-hand experience to back that statement up.* See, the thing about the ESPN generation is that you guys tend to believe that only those things that you, personally, remember are worth remembering. You guys are also big on debating just WHO is the greatest bottle washer of all time...hey, so be it. I'm not criticizing. I'm just stating the the New York Giants will have won 8 World Championships - if you choose to only recognize 4 due to your youthful inexperience and exhuberance, that's your choice. I'm fine with that.

I am in my twenties, so no, I wasn't around... but wouldn't having the AFC vs. the NFC add a more competitive edge? A greater amount of teams going at it? Maybe not....

I guess the point Im trying to make is that Superbowls are more relevant today. This is the modern NFL. The only teams I really see cling to their old championships are GB and Eagles fans.

And Eagles fans because they dont have a SB. Its really just insecurity. They know it is the creme de la creme and it burns them up inside. Knowing that they have not attained it.

yeah, and most people would share your observation. i think weeds is just arguing to argue.

if you don't think nfl football is a bigger deal now than it was in the pre super bowl era, you're living on a different planet. it's a much bigger deal than it was just 20 years ago. just the way it is.

and of course i mean within the united states. you'd think that would go without saying, but apparently not.

jjj45
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM

yeah, and most people would share your observation. i think weeds is just arguing to argue.

if you don't think nfl football is a bigger deal now than it was in the pre super bowl era, you're living on a different planet. it's a much bigger deal than it was just 20 years ago. just the way it is.

and of course i mean within the united states. you'd think that would go without saying, but apparently not.lol my point exactly. Like that needed explaining.

Green Bay fans like to stick to their "13 championships" cause it make them feel important or something. lol all I can think about are Eagles fans when I hear that.

GreenZone
02-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Is that better?
...When teams displays their trophy case. There is one kind of trophy in there. The Lombardi. The greatest prize in sports.

Especially with the trophy named for a former Giant coaching great. [;)]
Seems like all the great ones learn how to do it right from the Giants organization.

jjj45
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Especially with the trophy named for a former Giant coaching great. [;)]
Seems like all the great ones learn how to do it right from the Giants organization.
Another thing. Green Bay likes to act like Lombardi belongs to them. And that they own him or something. Hmm.....I seem to remember a certain Offensive Coordinator that came from Brooklyn, New York.

weeds123
02-01-2012, 10:35 PM

...and it's a valid observation. However, following your train of thought, those things that brought your franchise to the level that it is -- one of the premier franchises -- 7 World Championships, is as relevant today as it was in 2000, 1990 or 1980. Those previous titles are what make the Giants,the Packers and {gurgling noise goes here}the Bears PREMIER franchises. As I said, it's not our fault that the expansion franchises didn't exist while our guys were winning championships. So..... you have 7 (Seven) dag nab it ... they earned 'em and won't give 'em back. Just stop arguing...you're losing.

jjj45
02-01-2012, 10:43 PM
So..... you have 7 (Seven) dag nab it ... they earned 'em and won't give 'em back. Just stop arguing...you're losing.
lol if you say so champ. I must be like the Packers this year in that regard.

JJC7301
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I was watching NFL network for a bit and some reporter asked Eli to name other famous Eli's. We have gone too far.
Eli Whitney.

NYG6timeworldchamps
02-02-2012, 12:17 AM
I agree the Giants have 7.

weeds123
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
See? All it takes is a little back-and-forth and even a kid can see the light. You're as thick as my own kid for gawd's sake.

Hey, sincerely guys ... good luck. Giants should win this one....and if they do, I'll be happy for you all.

jjj45
02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
See? All it takes is a little back-and-forth and even a kid can see the light. You're as thick as my own kid for gawd's sake.

Hey, sincerely guys ... good luck. Giants should win this one....and if they do, I'll be happy for you all.
Yeah.........You are pretty much off your rocker if you think an old championship is anywhere near what the Superbowl is. But who am I to try and convince you otherwise?

lol I knew you'd be a ball of fun the minute you started posting here. I enjoy characters like yourself. Life would be dull with out them.

Thanks for the kind wishes! We'll try and beat those pesky Pats.

Love,

jjj

weeds123
02-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah.........You are pretty much off your rocker if you think an old championship is anywhere near what the Superbowl is. But who am I to try and convince you otherwise?

You just couldn't leave well enough alone, now could you? Sometimes, it's just better to take your verbal whoopin' -- make it part of your very being...learn from it... grow ... and focus on a new day in front of you. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... you have to keep on trying to defend the indefensible argument. This is why there is divorce...and war ... and wet-willies.

Voldamort
02-03-2012, 08:41 PM
JUST KICK THE BALL OFF ALREADY

weeds123
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
JUST KICK THE BALL OFF ALREADY

Now really ... do you, for one minute, think that the networks are going to allow that? I mean, Chris Berman still hasn't used up all of the world's oxygen.

jjj45
02-03-2012, 09:10 PM

You just couldn't leave well enough alone, now could you? Sometimes, it's just better to take your verbal whoopin' -- make it part of your very being...learn from it... grow ... and focus on a new day in front of you. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... you have to keep on trying to defend the indefensible argument. This is why there is divorce...and war ... and wet-willies.
Who says you are irrefutably right? Because you act all snarky, it means that whatever you say is undisputed gospel? I mean you are entertaining and all, but lets just stop this pissing match and agree to disagree.

weeds123
02-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Who says you are irrefutably right? Because you act all snarky, it means that whatever you say is undisputed gospel? I mean you are entertaining and all, but lets just stop this pissing match and agree to disagree.

Bwahahaha... hey, I'm a husband and a father... I'm NEVER 'right'.

Just 'funning' you. Inconsequential and semi-brain-dead arguments are what internet fan forums are all about. Take 'er light and enjoy the game. :o)

jjj45
02-04-2012, 08:55 AM
lol I hear ya. It's been fun. No hard feelings. Good luck for your beloved Pack.

Now if you'll please excuse me sir I have a team to root for in the Superbowl. [:D] [;)]