PDA

View Full Version : Despite the Hooplah - Is Our Offense Suspect?

njsean
01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
We have a lot of talent on our offense - I think that goes without saying. I like Eli's confidence on third downs, I like our receivers - it seems to be a solid group.

And yet. The constipation of our offense often rears its ugly head this post-season.

In the Falcons game, we kept them in it until Nick was able to break a big play.

In the Packer game, our scores came off two big plays made by Nicks and off of turnovers/short fields.

The niners game. After the first half, we had nothing.

So where is this stellar offense? I mean, am I wrong? If we stall out in this game on drives we need to maintain, we could face some serious issues.

If I'm BB, I tell my boys not to give up the big play and tackle after the catch.

So yeah, thats my pregame anxiety.

CDN_G-FAN
01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
This is a very good offense.

Not a 'stellar' offense, IMHO.

We need to start fast, get 6s with short fields, and have some success running the ball.

with those 3 things, even if we have some bad series where we go 3 and out or give up field position, we'll be fine.

NYBlue10
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
No I don't believe our offense is on par with the likes of Saints where they would put up 40 points in a blink. I would say anywhere in the 30 range is an exceptional day for this offense.

With minimum mistakes and turnovers, anywhere in the 20 range is most likely their typical production.

Big plays and turnovers are the primary catalysts for scoring a lot of points, if you expect them to score a lot just on long drives without any turnovers, it's likely not going to happen even for a very solid offense.

What I would concern myself over this offense is their tendency to start very slow, and too many 3 and outs.

As far as the 3 playoff games go, I think the offense did very well except for the 49ers game, the game planning was just off on that day, but the weather was quite horrible so can't really blame it all on Gilbride.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
We have a lot of talent on our offense - I think that goes without saying. I like Eli's confidence on third downs, I like our receivers - it seems to be a solid group.

And yet. The constipation of our offense often rears its ugly head this post-season.

In the Falcons game, we kept them in it until Nick was able to break a big play.

In the Packer game, our scores came off two big plays made by Nicks and off of turnovers/short fields.

The niners game. After the first half, we had nothing.

So where is this stellar offense? I mean, am I wrong? If we stall out in this game on drives we need to maintain, we could face some serious issues.

If I'm BB, I tell my boys not to give up the big play and tackle after the catch.

So yeah, thats my pregame anxiety.
The offense played pretty well against both atlanta and Green Bay. They didn't lay an egg against San Fran either.

Manning4MVP
01-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Falcons game - Falcons have a great defense, and we lit it up in the second half.

Green bay game - We scored 37 points, even thought GB's D is subpar, without those suspect calls we could've scored higher.

SF - Putting up 20 pts on the best D in the NFL isn't bad.

njsean
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I'd just like to us to be able to methodically move the ball down the field. Not just rely on Nicks or Cruz making some chump look stupid and breaking a big play.

I mean, obviously, I'll take those. But they're hard to count on.

egyptian420
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I hate talking like this, but honestly, I see Eli just straight up Shredding this D. This isn't the 49ers D, not by any stretch of the imagination. Even ATL had a better defense.

I can see Eli completing on 3rd downs more often than not.

We might have a classic case of taking a long time to warm up, we might even be down 14-0 by that time, but trust me, when Eli gets hot, he'll shred this D

njsean
01-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Falcons game - Falcons have a great defense, and we lit it up in the second half.

Green bay game - We scored 37 points, even thought GB's D is subpar, without those suspect calls we could've scored higher.

SF - Putting up 20 pts on the best D in the NFL isn't bad.

It's not how many points we score in a game that concerns me.

It's the manner in which we scored them.

Heck, if we score 21 points on drives where we move the ball down the field without counting on a busted coverage or missed tackle, Id be happy.

I'm not a Gilbride basher by any stretch, but I don't know, I'd feel better if our touchdowns hadn't been coming from defensive miscues.

CDN_G-FAN
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
I hate talking like this, but honestly, I see Eli just straight up Shredding this D. This isn't the 49ers D, not by any stretch of the imagination. Even ATL had a better defense.

We might have a classic case of taking a long time to warm up, we might even be down 14-0 by that time, but trust me, when Eli gets hot, he'll shred this D

+1

if vince wilfork has a game like he did against us during the regular season, i think this offense can and will shred the Pats D.

If Wilfork has a game like he did against the Ravens, this is going to be a really tough game to win.

NY_Eli
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM

+1

if vince wilfork has a game like he did against us during the regular season, i think this offense can and will shred the Pats D.

If Wilfork has a game like he did against the Ravens, this is going to be a really tough game to win.

+1, If Wilfork collapses the pocket it will be VERY tough for him to 'shred' the pats d.

Wouldn't be surprised if KG called a few rollouts to try and neutralize him as a threat.

*For the record I'm +1'ng the Wilfork comment

egyptian420
01-31-2012, 09:28 PM

+1

lmao after I read the first part I was already preparing to reply with "but if he has a game like last week..."

but yea man, If he plays like he did last week vs. Baas....things could get ugly

NYBlue10
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
I'd just like to us to be able to methodically move the ball down the field. Not just rely on Nicks or Cruz making some chump look stupid and breaking a big play.

You'll likely see the long drives for scores on Sunday because Patriots basically play prevent defense.

njsean
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't know. We simply can't let them get pressure with their front four. Thats where we crapped the bed v the niners. In the first half, we were getting their front blocked and Eli had time.

Second half, they got pressure and dropped every back, taking away throwing windows.

We can't allow front four pressure.

njsean
01-31-2012, 09:32 PM

You'll likely see the long drives for scores on Sunday because Patriots basically play prevent defense.

Heres hoping

Giantsin04
01-31-2012, 09:56 PM

I understand what you're saying. We are fans, and like you, I want them to succeed every time too. But the fact is, the other team gets paid too. This is the playoffs, we are playing the best of the best, the most complete teams, some of the best and most talented athletes in the world. They are going to win some battles. They are going to shut us down sometimes, sometimes for long stretches.

But, make no mistake, this offense is very good. Shut us down for a little bit...sure. shut us down for 60 minutes...not happening. Slip, stumble, get a late jump, etc...7 on your forehead!! Play that prevent, AB &BJ are more than capable.

JMFP2
01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
If you look at the San Francisco game, it's clear the Giants have a very good offense.</P>

The 49er defense is considered to be among the best in the league. And yet, Manning was able to pass for 300+ yards and 2 TD on a sloppy field in the rain. The Giants had a commanding advantage in time of possession as well.</P>

And further, this was done within a gameplan that was deliberately dialed back in order to avoid committing the big mistakes that doomed the high flying Saints. Unlike the Saints, the Giants decided they weren't going to give the 49ers points.</P>

So, I think you've got to look at the Giants offensewithin the context of the overall team strategy.</P>

The 49ers won games this season based on a defense that thrived on turnovers, time of possession, and field position.....on all 3 counts, the Giants offense defeated the 49ers defense. </P>

Yeah, Eli got hit, alot....that's what great defenses like the 49ers will do. But one of the reasons he took those shots was because he wasn't going to force things....not when the Giants defense was stonewalling the 49ers offense.</P>

Sometimes a "great" offense is more smart than explosive.</P>