PDA

View Full Version : Will it be Brandon Jacobs and Osi Umenyiora final game as Giants?

NYgirl10
02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Not a bad way to go out if that's the case. Both have one year remaining on their contracts, but the Giants have a roster bonus to pay Jacobs and Osi will be looking for a raise again soon.</P>

calzonesays
02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
The decision with Jacobs will be a quick one. The roster bonus kicks in March I believe.

Bohemian
02-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I would hate to see either of them go. But if I had to choose between the two, from a fan's point of view, I would keep Osi... but from a football strategy perspective, Jacobs is a rare talent for short yardage runners, a decent receiver out of the backfield, and a great blocker back there. It all comes down to the money at the end of the day, and no one is really irreplaceable.

I can imagine that letting both of them go would open up a lot of cap room, in order to sign a meaningful free agent to fill a weak link on the depth chart. Perhaps scoring an OLineman, ILB or feature RB could be enough compensation for loosing Osi and Jacobs. It will certainly be an interesting off season.

Go Blue!

Firenugget
02-01-2012, 06:08 AM
The decision with Jacobs will be a quick one. The roster bonus kicks in March I believe.

lol I love that gif. I'm amazed nobody ever really brought that up or asked why he chucked it at the guys head lol.

G.I. Ants
02-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Over the years, the GMen always had a good amount of quality backs competing in the camps. Andre Brown had a great preseason but didn't make the final roster, but the practice squad. Not to mention, Jacobs really hasn't been the best short yardage back for the team in years. In 07, Reuben Droughns was the short yardage guy because he moved the chains better than Jacobs. Osi may not be the best run defender, but he still is a beast rushing the passer. Now would he put up the same numbers if he constantly double teamed is the question.

bluesince86
02-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Bohemian - "I would hate to see either of them go. But if I had to choose between
the two, from a fan's point of view, I would keep Osi... but from a
football strategy perspective, Jacobs is a rare talent for short yardage
runners, a decent receiver out of the backfield, and a great blocker
back there. It all comes down to the money at the end of the day, and
no one is really irreplaceable.

I can imagine that letting both
of them go would open up a lot of cap room, in order to sign a
meaningful free agent to fill a weak link on the depth chart. Perhaps
scoring an OLineman, ILB or feature RB could be enough compensation for
loosing Osi and Jacobs. It will certainly be an interesting off
season.

Go Blue!"

Im kind of in the opposite camp. I would rather see Jacobs leave at the end of the year. First, I feel that Jacobs is no longer the back who you know will get that first down on 3rd and inches or 4th and inches. Maybe it has to do with the line, but watching the past couple of years compared to the 07-08 run and it is clear that he is not the same runner. I dont see him finishing runs like he use to and far too many times lately he has come up short when trying to get the 1st down in these situations. Yes he still runs hard, but not the way he use to. He is older now and the style that he plays takes its toll quickly. Secondly, I dont know about anyone else, but I hold my breath every time a pass goes his way. I dont really think he is a decent receiver, although he has improved, he still drops way too many passes for my liking. I call him stone hands Jacobs.

While OSi isnt the best run stopper, the Giants have plenty of other talent at that position that are good run stoppers. JPP has done a good job at stopping the run, so while not ideal Osi's deficiency in this area isn't as big of a deal. But he does need to improve in this area, and at this point in his career the question does have to be asked if he can improve or is this the player he is (which is still a very very good DE).

gfanblue
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Rare talent for short yardage runners??? That was supposed to be in red right?

Redeyejedi
02-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Jacobs will be a goner for sure. I think he should retire.I dont see there being a market for him, not with this RB class in the 2012 draft

bluesince86
02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Rare talent for short yardage runners??? That was supposed to be in red right?

Just in case that was meant for me, I didnt post the "Rare talent for short yardage runners", I responded to it. The quote function didnt work correctly.

titwio
02-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I heard Brandon say he will run like "one of the most nastiest, ferocious people you've seen in your life"(SB Sunday).... I sure hope so cause it will be his last game as a Giant.

Honestly I'm looking forward to the Giants drafting a new RB to pair with Bradshaw. Imagine getting a guy like David Wilson to have along with AB. Talk about warrior like personalities. That would be great to see.

nygsb42champs
02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Lets hope it is not.

NJ10
02-01-2012, 09:36 AM
I heard Brandon say he will run like "one of the most nastiest, ferocious people you've seen in your life"(SB Sunday).... I sure hope so cause it will be his last game as a Giant.

Oh man I like the sound of that, when he comes to play he is a lot for a defense to handle. If he gets going like last time we played the Pats we will be in good shape, i think he put up 100 yards last time.

Sadly I think its his last game too.

NJ10
02-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Oh man I like the sound of that, when he comes to play he is a lot for a defense to handle. If he gets going like last time we played the Pats we will be in good shape, i think he put up 100 yards last time.

Sadly I think its his last game too.

Negative, it was 72 yards and a TD but he ran well.

GameTime
02-01-2012, 09:40 AM
hopefully that benefits the Giants that these two want to go out with a bang and advertise for themselves for next season. They are capable of putting up great games without added motivation but anything extra is a bonus.

Kruunch
02-01-2012, 09:42 AM
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Not a bad way to go out if that's the case. Both have one year remaining on their contracts, but the Giants have a roster bonus to pay Jacobs and Osi will be looking for a raise again soon.</P>

The Giants may cut Jacobs but if they don't, he will be here next year (he has little trade value).

A team would have to come up with a good draft pick and be willing to pay Osi for him to leave (which I don't see happening). Otherwise the Giants will hold him hostage next year (whether he plays or sits is up to him).

That's my take on it.

Kruunch
02-01-2012, 09:43 AM
hopefully that benefits the Giants that these two want to go out with a bang and advertise for themselves for next season. They are capable of putting up great games without added motivation but anything extra is a bonus.

Yeah I think both have monster games this Sunday.

lttaylor56
02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
If we can get Jacobs going and then AB, our chances for success increase significantly. Eli will then pick that defense apart