PDA

View Full Version : Thank the Giant FO for Victor Cruz

heavyhitter
02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
<font size="2">Senior VP of player evaluation Chris Mara confirmed Tuesday that Victor Cruz was saved from the waiver wire "by some upper-echelon Giants front-office people."</font>

<font size="2">Analysis:
"It's no big secret he was on the bubble both years," Mara said. "That
happens a lot. Look at (James) Harrison from Pittsburgh. He got cut
(four) times." The Giants coaching staff wanted to shift Cruz to the
practice squad, but the astute front office had reason to suspect the
Jets would snatch him up as soon as he hit the waiver wire. "I hope they
cut him," Rex Ryan said after a three-touchdown preseason game. "I know
one team that would be ready to sign him, and that'd be us."</font></p>

<font size="4">(Article Link (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/giants_victor_cruz_rose_to_sur.html))</font></p>

<font size="4"><span class="tl">Giants' Decision to Keep Victor Cruz (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp;rct=j&amp;q=rex%20ryan%20on%20victor%20cruz&amp;s ource=web&amp;cd=1&amp;sqi=2&amp;ved=0CCEQqQIwAA&amp;url=http%3A%2 F%2Flarrybrownsports.com%2Ffootball%2Frex-ryan-contributed-to-giants-keeping-victor-cruz%2F114042&amp;ei=weEpT4G0BaHz0gGen5y6Cg&amp;usg=AFQjCN H0VqOxnQrpU58M4zGn5xEQ6y0p-Q&amp;cad=rja)</span></font></p>

Voldamort
02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
thank-god that never happened

Giantsin04
02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Also thank Gilbride. When the front office was trying to shove the Brandon Stokeley's of the world on to the team, Gilbride made news by speaking out. Specifically referring to Cruz when saying he had all the pieces needed already on the team. He knew he could play and objected to the front office trying to fill the spot with someone else.

miked1958
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
<font size="2">Senior VP of player evaluation Chris Mara confirmed Tuesday that Victor Cruz was saved from the waiver wire "by some upper-echelon Giants front-office people."</font>

<font size="2">Analysis:

<font size="4">(Article Link (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/giants_victor_cruz_rose_to_sur.html))</font></p>

<font size="4"><span class="tl">Giants' Decision to Keep Victor Cruz (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rex%20ryan%20on%20victor%20cruz&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flarrybrownsports.com%2Ffootball%2 Frex-ryan-contributed-to-giants-keeping-victor-cruz%2F114042&ei=weEpT4G0BaHz0gGen5y6Cg&usg=AFQjCNH0VqOxnQrpU58M4zGn5xEQ6y0p-Q&cad=rja)</span></font></p>
Thank you FO!!!

RoanokeFan
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm thinking it was Reese. If it was Mara it would have been "highest echelon."

Kruunch
02-01-2012, 09:48 PM
It's a fantastic story and I hope he's a Giant for a looooooooooong time to come.

GMEN023
02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Haha one of the few times we can thank Gilbride lol jk. I do rememebr him saying that though. It was def a good idea by the FO to hold on to him.

JJC7301
02-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I never wanted them to give up on Cruz. I thought that what he did in that one preseason game against the Jets was more than Beckum and Barden had ever done as Giants...combined. I would rather have seen one of them go first.

Not that I expected what he accomplished this year, but I was worried that he wasn't going to get a fair shot.

BurnerNYG
02-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I never wanted them to give up on Cruz. I thought that what he did in that one preseason game against the Jets was more than Beckum and Barden had ever done as Giants...combined. I would rather have seen one of them go first.

Not that I expected what he accomplished this year, but I was worried that he wasn't going to get a fair shot.There are only two players in NFL history that did what Victor Cruz did in that preseason game... him and Terrell Owens. I knew Cruz was gonna be special.

JJC7301
02-01-2012, 11:34 PM

Not that I expected what he accomplished this year, but I was worried that he wasn't going to get a fair shot.There are only two players in NFL history that did what Victor Cruz did in that preseason game... him and Terrell Owens. I knew Cruz was gonna be special.
Wow. And I'm not trying to make it sound like I had Cruz pegged for greatness, but in just that one game I thought he showed more potential than some other Giant receivers.

And if they did cut him, Rex and the Jets absolutely would have picked him up.

logan9839
02-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Now here is the question, how big of a contract does he get this off season. They better pay him!

BurnerNYG
02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Now here is the question, how big of a contract does he get this off season. They better pay him!They GOTTA pay him or else we might see a holdout. Fans shouldn't be mad at him either... he earned it and he deserves it.

ELIteManning
02-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Hey Rex Ryan's big mouth actually served a good purpose! Perhaps if learned to stop putting his foot in his mouth all the time than maybe he would have ended up with Cruz.

Or wait maybe that should be his wife's foot...

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Hey Rex Ryan's big mouth actually served a good purpose! Perhaps if learned to stop putting his foot in his mouth all the time than maybe he would have ended up with Cruz.

Or wait maybe that should be his wife's foot...
+1. I was thinking the same thing.

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Now here is the question, how big of a contract does he get this off season. They better pay him!They GOTTA pay him or else we might see a holdout. Fans shouldn't be mad at him either... he earned it and he deserves it.
He will be signed and all sides will be happy. Don't worry about it. It may preclude us from resigning MM, but maybe not.

BurnerNYG
02-02-2012, 12:27 AM
He will be signed and all sides will be happy. Don't worry about it. It may preclude us from resigning MM, but maybe not.We will more than likely have to cut ties with MM but as long as we have Cruz and Nicks, I'll be happy. Finding a slot guy shouldn't be too hard.

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
He will be signed and all sides will be happy. Don't worry about it. It may preclude us from resigning MM, but maybe not.We will more than likely have to cut ties with MM but as long as we have Cruz and Nicks, I'll be happy. Finding a slot guy shouldn't be too hard.
It's reality and I've made peace with it. Just sucks to lose your own good talent that you developed. 49ers, Jets, or 'skins will probably pick him up.

ELIteManning
02-02-2012, 12:39 AM
While it would be nice to keep MM since he was drafted by us and has a good rapport with our teamates... He is replaceable for cheaper. Just my thoughts

nyknstill!
02-02-2012, 04:22 AM

<font size="2">Analysis:

<font size="4"><span class="tl">Giants' Decision to Keep Victor Cruz (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rex%20ryan%20on%20victor%20cruz&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flarrybrownsports.com%2Ffootball%2 Frex-ryan-contributed-to-giants-keeping-victor-cruz%2F114042&ei=weEpT4G0BaHz0gGen5y6Cg&usg=AFQjCNH0VqOxnQrpU58M4zGn5xEQ6y0p-Q&cad=rja)</span></font></p>

Kind of said this exact same thing in the other thread yesterday. Someone posed a question
"What would have happened had Hixon never got hurt" we would've lost Cruz to waivers.

redbeardxxv
02-02-2012, 04:51 AM
He will be signed and all sides will be happy. Don't worry about it. It may preclude us from resigning MM, but maybe not.

I don't see that as a problem... MM or VC? Easy choice for me. Would LOVE to keep both, but Nicks/Cruz+ whoever else is better than Nicks/Manningham+ whoever else.

redbeardxxv
02-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Heard somewhere that some guy named Steve Smith prolly won't resign with the team he's with.....

ELIteManning
02-02-2012, 08:22 AM
seriously? No thanks...ill definitely pass. I think alot of players would as well. I think SS may have left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouth. Why I dont really "blame" SS for going to the eagles...I mean he took the money plane and simple. 90% of guys do. That's part of the game. However, just because he is available again it doesn't mean you bring him back. He rushed back from his injury and clearly was not the same receiver we knew last year. I am not sure he will ever return to that receiver again either. Definitely a pass for me.

nygsb42champs
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Every so often you make a decision based on a hunch. That had to be it because there is no way anyone could have predicted thios from him.