PDA

View Full Version : The 2000 Giants

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
You Giant fans think that team was better then the 07 team or this year's team? I know you guys lost in the Super bowl that year but do you think that was the better team then the 07 Giants and this year's team?

Giantsin04
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM
No. That 2000 team was no where near as good as this team. The most important parts of a team, the qb and coach, were no where near as good in 2000 as they are today. Also, the pass rush, which is essential in todays game, is far superior.

bleeding blue
02-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Eli even in 07 was a MILLION times better than Kerry Collins.

We had better linebackers and a great 1-2 punch with Tiki and Dayne (Thunder and Lightning)

those are the only areas 2000 team was better than 07 or '11

EDIT: We had a great return team with Ron Dixon too

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I remember the Vikings having a great team that season as well. Culpepper lit it up and no disrespect to the Giants but I thought the Rams were the best team in the NFC but they lost to the Saints of all teams in the playoffs.

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I know you guys would love to have Jim Fassell back as your coach lol JK.

ny06
02-02-2012, 10:55 PM
It would be a very long day for Luke (false start)Petitgout. </P>

http://i53.tinypic.com/29nf9fc.jpg</P>

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Eli even in 07 was a MILLION times better than Kerry Collins.

We had better linebackers and a great 1-2 punch with Tiki and Dayne (Thunder and Lightning)

those are the only areas 2000 team was better than 07 or '11

EDIT: We had a great return team with Ron Dixon too
Kerry Collins was no slouch. The '00 team was solid all the way around, but I don't think they were dominant in any one facet. At least with this team they have a dominant passing game and pass rush.

Better comparison is the '07 and '11 teams because you have around 15 players on the '11 that were on the '07 team.

calzonesays
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
yeah, I think some people are underrating exactly how good that 2000 Ravens defense was. That was pretty much like a once in a generation type defense. The 2000 Giants team was pretty good, they just ran into a buzzsaw.

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I know you guys would love to have Jim Fassell back as your coach lol JK.
That was one negative about making the SB in '00 was that it meant Fassell got an extension, and John Fox wouldn't be our HC because he left for Carolina after that.

I was never a Fassell fan, but he was not a bad coach. He had the Giants in the playoffs pretty much every other year and they won the division a few times. But his teams would always have these games that they lost in the most head-scratching of ways (i.e. the '02 playoff game against SF in which we blew something like a 35-14 lead in the 4th qtr).

Overall, Fassell's body of work as HC was good. Not great, but good and certainly better than many other HCs that have gotten 2nd and 3rd shots at being an HC (i.e. Herm Edwards, Chan Gailey, Jerry Glanville).

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
yeah, I think some people are underrating exactly how good that 2000 Ravens defense was.* That was pretty much like a once in a generation type defense.* The 2000 Giants team was pretty good, they just ran into a buzzsaw.

That Raven D was the best since the '85 Bears, IMO. But I would still take the '85 Bears D.

I thought that the Giants were going to win SB 35 because they had a very good D themselves, plus a much better O and QB than Baltimore's. Goes to show what a truly superior shutdown D can do.

I want the Giants to have that type of D.

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I remember the Vikings having a great team that season as well. Culpepper lit it up and no disrespect to the Giants but I thought the Rams were the best team in the NFC but they lost to the Saints of all teams in the playoffs.
You're probably right because that was the time of Kurt Warner and the Greatest Show on Earth in St. Louis.

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
We had a good defense last year and we won it all. This year we had no defense and of course we didnt win it all. Of course last year our defense wasnt nearly as good as Baltimore's defense in 2000. Another great defense was the 2002 Buccaneers. That team was awesome. I really believe though that the Giants could have given them all they could handle if they got past SF in the wildcard game and played Tampa.

calzonesays
02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
We had a good defense last year and we won it all. This year we had no defense and of course we didnt win it all. Of course last year our defense wasnt nearly as good as Baltimore's defense in 2000. Another great defense was the 2002 Buccaneers. That team was awesome. I really believe though that the Giants could have given them all they could handle if they got past SF in the wildcard game and played Tampa.

your defense was pretty legit last season. it was kind of a bend but don't break defense, got pressure at the right times, forced turnovers. your offense was so good it put up points and forced teams to play from behind which isn't easy to do when you're getting blitzed like crazy.

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah and they would have beat the Saints if Hakim doesnt muff the punt return and fumble it away.

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 11:24 PM

your defense was pretty legit last season.* it was kind of a bend but don't break defense, got pressure at the right times, forced turnovers.* your offense was so good it put up points and forced teams to play from behind which isn't easy to do when you're getting blitzed like crazy.

Yeah and we barely got in the playoffs. If the Lions didnt beat the Bucs in overtime 23-20 in Tampa then the Bucs would have made it in over us also I dont want to remind you guys of the game but you know what Im getting at that put us in the postseason as well.

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that -- the Giants were pretty much the hottest team at the end of the regular season in '02 and we were solid all the way around. If memory serves me correct, Fassell took over the play calling from his OC (Sean Payton) in the middle of the year and the O was doing great. Then we screwed up in SF and SF did a great job of not giving up. Very typical Fassell loss, but more devastating because it was the playoffs.

Either way, you're right -- that '02 Tampa D was fantastic and it was their year. They would have shut down the Giants. I still think the '00 Ravens were better, and the '85 Bears were the best that I ever saw with my own two eyes.

JJC7301
02-02-2012, 11:31 PM

your defense was pretty legit last season.* it was kind of a bend but don't break defense, got pressure at the right times, forced turnovers.* your offense was so good it put up points and forced teams to play from behind which isn't easy to do when you're getting blitzed like crazy.

Yeah and we barely got in the playoffs. If the Lions didnt beat the Bucs in overtime 23-20 in Tampa then the Bucs would have made it in over us also I dont want to remind you guys of the game but you know what Im getting at that put us in the postseason as well.
Ha! No prob -- you guys blew our doors off because you were the better team. The best as it turned out. Great year for you guys. I was happy for Rodgers because of Favre's babyish antics over the past few years.

M0rbid
02-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I remember that BS penalty on Armstead after the interception. That was a major turning point for the Superbowl........

calzonesays
02-02-2012, 11:38 PM
i was so happy after the kickoff return TD. thought the momentum was gonna swing and low and behold the ravens got a kickoff return TD right back...

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 11:41 PM

Ha! No prob -- you guys blew our doors off because you were the better team. The best as it turned out. Great year for you guys. I was happy for Rodgers because of Favre's babyish antics over the past few years.

JC not talking about our game but the Miracle at the meadowlands game that put us in the playoffs. Sorry I brought that up but hey your in a much better place then the Eagles are now. That game and the Bucs Lions game put us in the postseason basically and when we beat the Giants the next week. I never expected you guys to be in the super bowl honestly. Even earlier in the year you lost to alot of teams you should have beat like Seattle, Washington twice and Philly but beat teams you were the underdog against like the Patriots, Dallas twice to get in the playoffs, Buffalo when they were hot at the beginning of the year, us in Lambeau and the 49ers in SF in the Championship game. In my honest opinion if the Giants didnt play down to the level of weak opponents they would be 14-2. the Giants are always fun to watch. Hope they do it on Sunday.

Lambeau12
02-02-2012, 11:43 PM
i was so happy after the kickoff return TD.* thought the momentum was gonna swing and low and behold the ravens got a kickoff return TD right back...

Hey Cal pretty sure Baltimore fell apart after that year didnt they? I mean I dont think they made the postseason again tell like 2006?

calzonesays
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
i was so happy after the kickoff return TD. thought the momentum was gonna swing and low and behold the ravens got a kickoff return TD right back...

Hey Cal pretty sure Baltimore fell apart after that year didnt they? I mean I dont think they made the postseason again tell like 2006?

they made the playoffs once in 2003 and one and doned but yeah they pretty much didn't recover for a while.

NYG6timeworldchamps
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Toomer on Beningo and Roberts WFAN show basically stated that Fassel didn't prepare the team well for that Super Bowl. They also fought over trivial things like who will be introduced at the Super Bowl (the Defense or the Offense). He said they changed their offense game plan for that game and went away from what they did well. He also said that is the difference between a championship coach (coughlin) and Fassel. Keep in mind Toomer is not a big fan of Fassel.

jjj45
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
the Giants are always fun to watch. Hope they do it on Sunday.Hey man thanks. I have an apology to make. I thought that you might be trolling before because I couldn't understand how you would want to be around a Giants forum after all the other Packer fans left in disgust. It was silly of me to think that. You have way more class than that.

It's awesome having legit fans from other teams who want to discuss football with us, and not act like tools.

Again sorry for what I thought.

allentown PA
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
It would be a very long day for Luke (false start)*Petitgout. </P>

http://i53.tinypic.com/29nf9fc.jpg</P>

lol srsly..sick LT sig btw

Lambeau12
02-03-2012, 01:13 AM
the Giants are always fun to watch. Hope they do it on Sunday.Hey man thanks. I have an apology to make. I thought that you might be trolling before because I couldn't understand how you would want to be around a Giants forum after all the other Packer fans left in disgust. It was silly of me to think that. You have way more class than that.

It's awesome having legit fans from other teams who want to discuss football with us, and not act like tools.

Again sorry for what I thought.

No problem bud. The Giants are like a mirror image of the Packers. You Giant fans got me looking back at the 2000 NFL record and fact book looking at every game lol. I forgot Tony Banks was the Ravens quarterback for the first half of that season but was benched for poor performance and Dilfer took over. Kerry Collins season high passing was only like 259 yards against the Eagles in a 24-7 victory over Philly. You guys had an eight game winning streak against them back then.