PDA

View Full Version : PF a lock??.....

blueomaha
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
will Perry Fewell get a pass if the NYG bring the championship home??...a few weeks ago, he was on life support as far as the NYG fans were concerned...or do you think the "D" just got healthy and got on a roll??...is he the DC of the future for the NYG??....GO GIANTS......

swimeasy
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Remains to be seen, especially on Sunday. I was impressed with the game plan he laid out for the Pack, but smh with Davis twice at SF. Were those simply execution issues? Still have questions, but with players getting healthy and his streamlining schemes he does seem to be on a more positive trajectory.

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
He's definitely back next year if he wants to.

Getting to the SB will do that for you.

I'm still not totally convinced about his schemes (quite the opposite in fact) but if I can tear him down for a season long horrid defense, I have to give him props for getting the defense together when it mattered.

We'll see what he does next year with us. He's definitely earned the right to another year though.

miked1958
02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
will Perry Fewell get a pass if the NYG bring the championship home??...a few weeks ago, he was on life support as far as the NYG fans were concerned...or do you think the "D" just got healthy and got on a roll??...is he the DC of the future for the NYG??....GO GIANTS......
</P>

Yes Id say so... he has got them clicking at right time much like Spags did in 07...</P>

</P>

gumby742
02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
He deserves to be back, but i still want him gone.

miked1958
02-03-2012, 09:59 AM
With that said the good part (or bad part depending on how you look at it) is that we will have both the OC and DC back next season with all the HC jobs filled. I highly doubt either of them would leave the Giants for anything less then a HC job. Especially with the possibility of the Giants competing for another SB next season most likely

ebick
02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I think it would detrimental to this team to change defensive coordinators AGAIN next year.

nhpgiantsfan
02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
It's a non issue, he is def coming back win or lose. He locked it up after the defense shut out the Falcons if you ask me. Everything after that has been just a bonus.

bLuereverie
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
This whole Fewell on life support could very well have been mere media concoction.

He was signed though the 2012 season.

blueomaha
02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
maybe wrong but the return of Osi inspired the "D" and gave flexibility to the defensive schemes...just my opinion...the return of Goff and TT will solidify the "D" even more.....

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
maybe wrong but the return of Osi inspired the "D" and gave flexibility to the defensive schemes...just my opinion...the return of Goff and TT will solidify the "D" even more.....

I tend to agree .... but we'll see next year.

I don't care WHY they play well as long as they do.

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
This whole Fewell on life support could very well have been mere media concoction.

If the Giants hadn't made the playoffs he would have been gone with how poor the defense played during the regular season, is my feeling.

The 2012 extension was just the lame duck rule in action.

Voldamort
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
He will stay nobody else out there?

Redeyejedi
02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45807356/ns/sports-nfl/

He was fine no matter what because of this

"At Football Outsiders, we use a metric called Adjusted Games Lost (AGL) to determine how severe a team’s injury situation has been. AGL separates starters and key reserves from subs, so an injury to Umenyiora or another starter gets more weight than one to some seldom-used backup."

It also accounts for weeks when a player is listed as “questionable” or “probable” but still takes the field, so when someone like Tuck shakes off a toe injury and takes the field in a limited role, it counts as a partial injury.

AGL is a great argument settler, because it takes conversations past the “who cares about your whole linebacker corps, we lost our punt returner” stage.

The Giants are on pace to finish the season with the third-highest defensive AGL of the last decade, behind only the 2008 Lions (who went 0-16) and the 2009 Bills (who went 6-10 and got their coach fired). Through Week 14, they lost the equivalent of 58.9 games by starters to injuries. That means the Giants go into the average game missing four defensive starters and key reserves.

This defense looks like a completely different team now because the Front 4 is healthy.He has so many more options when he has those guys all going. U could make the argument though he isnt doing enough with the talent. I mean how many teams in the NFL have 4 Pass Rushers like the Giants and a 5th like Dave Tollefson

Manning
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM

"At Football Outsiders, we use a metric called Adjusted Games Lost (AGL) to determine how severe a team’s injury situation has been. AGL separates starters and key reserves from subs, so an injury to Umenyiora or another starter gets more weight than one to some seldom-used backup."

It also accounts for weeks when a player is listed as “questionable” or “probable” but still takes the field, so when someone like Tuck shakes off a toe injury and takes the field in a limited role, it counts as a partial injury.

AGL is a great argument settler, because it takes conversations past the “who cares about your whole linebacker corps, we lost our punt returner” stage.

The Giants are on pace to finish the season with the third-highest defensive AGL of the last decade, behind only the 2008 Lions (who went 0-16) and the 2009 Bills (who went 6-10 and got their coach fired). Through Week 14, they lost the equivalent of 58.9 games by starters to injuries. That means the Giants go into the average game missing four defensive starters and key reserves.

This defense looks like a completely different team now because the Front 4 is healthy.He has so many more options when he has those guys all going. U could make the argument though he isnt doing enough with the talent. I mean how many teams in the NFL have 4 Pass Rushers like the Giants and a 5th like Dave Tollefson

Amazing what stats they can dig up these days.

bLuereverie
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM

If the Giants hadn't made the playoffs he would have been gone with how poor the defense played during the regular season, is my feeling.

That still wasn't a guarantee. Not excusing him, but the team did suffer from a lot of injuries that could've given him the benefit of the doubt. The rumor of him on the hot seat is just that, until someone from the organization who actually will evaluate him goes public with hinting a possible coaching change.

Dover Giant
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
It's apple and oranges.
When his defense is hurting they suck
When their healthy their superb.
At least we are not hanging all our hopes on a Gronk

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM

That's great but somehow I doubt the Giants' front office use the Football Outsiders' metrics in determining which coach stays or goes.

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM

That still wasn't a guarantee. Not excusing him, but the team did suffer from a lot of injuries that could've given him the benefit of the doubt. The rumor of him on the hot seat is just that, until someone from the organization who actually will evaluate him goes public with hinting a possible coaching change.

Yeah of course it's not a guarantee. Just my opinion based on what this front office has done in the past with underachieving defenses (Lewis and Sheridan).

G-Man67
02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
you need healthy players ... just look at Spags ... he had about 80% control of the D here with obviously Coughlin adding 20% of his own philosophy

whereas in St. Louis, Spags had 120% control of the D and while their D wasn't horrible, it obviously wasn't very good

you need the players, then a good coach can make key calls and tweaks to make them even better/smarter

SweetZombieJesus
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
maybe wrong but the return of Osi inspired the "D" and gave flexibility to the defensive schemes...

IMO:
- Osi's return
- Tuck getting healthy
- Adding Blackburn (big boost)
- Return of Boley

All of the above.

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
maybe wrong but the return of Osi inspired the "D" and gave flexibility to the defensive schemes...

IMO:
- Osi's return
- Tuck getting healthy
- Return of Boley

All of the above.

+1

bLuereverie
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM

IMO:
- Osi's return
- Tuck getting healthy
- Return of Boley

All of the above.

Add
Canty/Joseph stepping up
Return of a 100% KP and added work from secondary

MikeIsaGiant
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
What do you think it would tell the team if we just got rid of the DC that got us to the Super Bowl?

I want him gone, but he deserves another year

JJC7301
02-03-2012, 01:13 PM
He's a lock, but PF deserved criticism until they got healthy and went on a roll. I understand and excuse injuries, but I thought that Fewell made things worse than need be. I thought that his scheming was trying to over compensate for Goff being out and probably made things worse.</P>

I still think Spags is better, but PF is redeemed.</P>

bearbryant
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
you need healthy players ... just look at Spags ... he had about 80% control of the D here with obviously Coughlin adding 20% of his own philosophy

whereas in St. Louis, Spags had 120% control of the D and while their D wasn't horrible, it obviously wasn't very good

you need the players, then a good coach can make key calls and tweaks to make them even better/smarter
Spags ran our D when he was DC. I agree that you need the horses to enter the race but spags used the horses properly to get the result we saw in 07. So far most of the results come from the athelticism of the players and not the schemes and theabilities & savvy of using the players properly. Spags was great at using a guy like Kawika Mitchell and bring him on a delayed blitze, perfectly executed on the correct play or dropping a DE in coverage and zone blitzing from the left when he saw a roll out coming or using a jail break rush at the perfect time. Spags was super at coaching the players up on how to execute their part of a play. I haven't seen all that type of coaching from PF. I hope he shows it this Sunday when we'll really need it! Just bring it to the next level PF. He'll need to adjust on the fly against the pats. Game 9 our offense won the game in the last quarter, this time we need to stop the pats 4th quarter attempt to get back into the game! Go Giants!!!

TrueBlue@NYC
02-03-2012, 01:43 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45807356/ns/sports-nfl/ He was fine no matter what because of this "At Football Outsiders, we use a metric called Adjusted Games Lost (AGL) to determine how severe a team’s injury situation has been. AGL separates starters and key reserves from subs, so an injury to Umenyiora or another starter gets more weight than one to some seldom-used backup." It also accounts for weeks when a player is listed as “questionable” or “probable” but still takes the field, so when someone like Tuck shakes off a toe injury and takes the field in a limited role, it counts as a partial injury. AGL is a great argument settler, because it takes conversations past the “who cares about your whole linebacker corps, we lost our punt returner” stage. The Giants are on pace to finish the season with the third-highest defensive AGL of the last decade, behind only the 2008 Lions (who went 0-16) and the 2009 Bills (who went 6-10 and got their coach fired). Through Week 14, they lost the equivalent of 58.9 games by starters to injuries. That means the Giants go into the average game missing four defensive starters and key reserves. This defense looks like a completely different team now because the Front 4 is healthy.He has so many more options when he has those guys all going. U could make the argument though he isnt doing enough with the talent. I mean how many teams in the NFL have 4 Pass Rushers like the Giants and a 5th like Dave Tollefson</P>

This is my only question with PF. It's obvious that the combination of Osi, Tuck and Boley getting healthy along with bringing in a MLB that's at least competent (Blackburn) is what turned this defense around. </P>

The only thing that bothers me is that even though Tuck and Osi were out, even with JPP, Canty and Tolly there wasn't much of a pass rush and I've seen teams with much less pass rush talent get pressure. </P>

However, with what we've seen in the playoffs AND the performance of the defense last year I'd say you have to agree that PF is a good DC. </P>