PDA

View Full Version : The Helmet Catch...can someone explain why we were "lucky"?

jhamburg
02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I really don't care that much, but it's just a pet peeve that everyone says we were lucky because of the Helmet Catch. I'll concede that it was a "lucky play" in the sense that we probably wouldn't be able to repeat it. But even if it fell incomplete, we have a manageable 4th and 5 that we've seen Eli convert countless times. And yes, he could have easily been sacked, but Eli has clearly shown more escapability than a lot of other QBs. Are we "lucky" because we have a QB who can evade sacks? And even if he did get sacked, we still have a shot even if its 4th and 17 or whatever.

Bottom line, it wasn't a do-or-die play, so how can people say we only won because of luck?

And especially coming from Pats fans. If it wasn't for the Tuck Rule, their 2001 season was over, and there's no denying that.

Voldamort
02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
LUCK is the residue of design!!

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Oh goody, another thread on the definition of luck.

*claps excitedly*

P.S. - I'd say it was an amazing play not a lucky play.

Tony Bruno
02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
We got "lucky" that Harrison didnt knock it out of his hands... Should we win this Sunday, that "lucky" catch will not ever matter again...</P>

Pakman
02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
If tyree caught the ball backwards by it getting stuck in his shoulder pad...than i say it was lucky, but Tyree already made a catch like that before.

So no luck, I couldn't care less about what people say.

Tony Bruno
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
If tyree caught the ball backwards by it getting stuck in his shoulder pad...than i say it was lucky, but Tyree already made a catch like that before. So no luck, I couldn't care less about what people say.</P>

</P>

Right or getting stuck in his facemank or something... Thats luck... He used his helmet like someone would use there chest... Its all good!!!</P>

stormblue
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
it's a perspective thing.

from a Patriots fan's perspective it was a lucky fluke.

from a Giants fan's perspective it was a great play.

same with Eli getting away to make that throw ;
was that poor tackling or a great play by Eli ?

bflo23
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
not luck... eli broke a tackle, made a nice throw that went into the perfect spot as it landed in between 3 defenders and tyree made a great catch. It was an amazing play.

Is every amazing play "lucky"?

jhamburg
02-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Yeah, but I'd also say that it doesn't matter whether it was lucky or not, because it's technically not a play we needed to make to win. As long as it wasn't picked, we still have a good chance to win the game.

Simmsy
In any close game, you can easily find a dozen (if not more) plays where one team was "lucky" to have the outcome that it did. Furthermore, the nature of sporting contests is such that the plays at the end of the game will be focused on far more heavily than plays taking place in the fist 58 minutes.

Were the Steelers "lucky" with the Immaculate Reception? Were the 49ers "lucky" with the Dwight Clark catch? Were the Patriots "lucky" the Panthers kicked the ball out of bounds in Super Bowl 38, setting up a very short field to get that game winning FG? Were the 49ers "lucky" that the refs didn't call a blatant pass interference on that botched Giants FG attempt 8 years ago? Were the Giants "lucky" the football hit a punt returner's knee 2 weeks ago?

bflo23

According to the Patriot fans, Giants got "lucky" in their 3 straight wins against the Patriots.... (super bowl, preseason, regular season)..... If the Giants win this super bowl, it would be Giants got lucky in 4 straight games. You see the trend.

bgblucru5656
02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
tyree was lucky when he slapped himself upside the head, forgetting, that he had that stickum all over his hands. thatnk god diehl and snee were there on the sidelines to pry his hands off his helmet. whew!!!!! lucky, lucky man

Simmsy
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

According to the Patriot fans, Giants got "lucky" in their 3 straight wins against the Patriots.... (super bowl, preseason, regular season)..... If the Giants win this super bowl, it would be Giants got lucky in 4 straight games. You see the trend.
Are you *seriously* including a preseason game in calculating a team's winning streak over another? Please stop embarassing yourself.

nhpgiantsfan
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
If the Giants with this SB, it will be because they were lucky that Gronk had a sprained ankle. LOL

rwmcquarters
02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Another element of "luck" is the fact that none of out linemen got called for holding on that play. I have often heard from Pats fans that the only reason Eli got away with the escape is that our boys were all over the pass rushers, though it is something I never noticed. Either way, I would not have been surprised to see a flag on that play but freakin' love the no call. It's the Super Bowl and the fact that the crew let that play go on is what should happen far more often in the postseason. This postseason in particular.

Kruunch
02-03-2012, 01:43 PM

http://files.hewletts.org/archives/scarecrow.bmp

bflo23
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey Simmsy!

Whatever makes you sleep at night? You want to say it was 2 straight "lucky" wins for the Giants instead? Are you going to be crying about lucky giants only beat the Patriots because Gronk got hurt after this Super Bowl? We all know New England is known for their billion excuses.

stormblue
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
i guess i wasn't as succinct as i needed to be .

' luck" is the excuse often used by losers ; especially in competitive sports and gambling.

bflo23
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
i guess i wasn't as succinct as i needed to be .

' luck" is the excuse often used by losers ; especially in competitive sports and gambling.

Exactly.... Patriot fans..... And we can add 49er fans now.

jhamburg
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Another element of "luck" is the fact that none of out linemen got called for holding on that play.* I have often heard from Pats fans that the only reason Eli got away with the escape is that our boys were all over the pass rushers, though it is something I never noticed.* Either way, I would not have been surprised to see a flag on that play but freakin' love the no call.* It's the Super Bowl and the fact that the crew let that play go on is what should happen far more often in the postseason.* This postseason in particular.

Even still my point remains. The call holding and it's 3rd and 15, big whoop. Lucky play maybe, but not a lucky game.

NoHuddle10
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Totally agree. ALSO, Tyree just didnt have great hands. He easily could have caught that ball without his helmet. It wasnt even that high of a pass.

Tyree almost dropped it and was able to secure it against his helmet.

It's just peoples way of justifying themselves for being so wrong in their predictions.

G-Man67
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
yeah, i'm with you there ... we see QBs escape capture every single game ... we see open WRs catch balls and hang on to them with defensive players hanging all over them and trying to strip the ball away each week

i realize the stage was so huge and so the play was so huge, but to me, luck would be an obvious bad call by the refs or a ridiculous bounce of the ball

or here ya go, how about Pitt vs. Oakland back in the day ... pass bounces off somebodies helmet straight to Franco Harris

here's lucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wK-YR_8cG4&feature=related

Simmsy
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Hey Simmsy!

Whatever makes you sleep at night? You want to say it was 2 straight "lucky" wins for the Giants instead? Are you going to be crying about lucky giants only beat the Patriots because Gronk got hurt after this Super Bowl? We all know New England is known for their billion excuses.
I think you're getting the wrong impression from my comments, friend. I didn't call the Giants wins over NE "lucky" beyond the fact that any close game is going to have plays which benefit one team in a "lucky" manner. If the Giants were "lucky" then so were the Steelers, 49ers, Patriots, etc, during their respective championship seasons. So for one group of fans to call another team "lucky" is stupid.

As for the winning streak, sorry but I am not going to embarass myself by including a preseason game in that total.

NYCDBS
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't really mind people calling that catch "lucky" for all intensive purposes it might have been... I urge you to find me one team that has had any measurable degree of success without a few "lucky" breaks along the way. What I do take issue with however is when Patriots fans call that win the result of "luck". This is football there are no lucky games the Giants outplayed the patriots that day and that's the end of it...

redjersies
02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree with your sentiment. Anyway, in a sport like football, you have to be extremely good for luck to even help you win a pro game. It is the same in most other sports. If you have a basketball team and you play Michael Jordan's Bulls from the 1990's, a lucky shotwill only help you win if you were good enough to still be in thegame at the end--most teams would already be skunked out after 5 or 10 minutes so that a lucky shot wouldn't help. If you want to beat Tiger Woods with a lucky shot on an 18 hole course, you have to be highly skilled to even be close at the end. </P>

Was that oneSuper Bowl play lucky? Possibly. Neverthelss, it took immense skill for us to getourselves into the position whereone lucky play would even help us win the Super Bowl. Could the entire outcome of the game and our 2007 season be attributed solely to luck? No. And, like you said, if the play had failed, it would still be fourth and 5--which is easy for our team. </P>

Anyway, I realize you know all this stuff too--which is why I agree with you (and disagree with the people who harp on the lucky play theme).</P>

</P>

bflo23
02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
#1 Sore loser excuse is ............... "lucky"

swimeasy
02-03-2012, 04:55 PM
it's a perspective thing. from a Patriots fan's perspective it was a lucky fluke. from a Giants fan's perspective it was a great play. same with Eli getting away to make that throw ; was that poor tackling or a great play by Eli ?

http://files.hewletts.org/archives/scarecrow.bmp</P>

LOL, Kruunch, you really are needing Sunday to get heredon't ya. [;)]</P>

GOBIGBLUE52
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Reasons why:
1) "Holding should've been called on the play." Although holding happens every play, and it's a judgment call. That **** happens all the time.
2) Eli was a half second away from getting the whistle blown, it would've been a sack. Mike Carey even said so in an interview a few days after.
3) A noname wide receiver who would eventually never play again caught the ball against his helmet. This isn't Cris Carter or Jerry Rice we're talking about (or even Lynn Swan, he of acrobatic catches fame).
4) Slightly related, but a lot of people say Asante Samuel dropped the "game ending interception" the play before. Yet I still say even if he caught the ball he doesn't get two feet inbounds, this is an entirely moot point.
5) Most importantly, people are bitter.

bflo23
02-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Reasons why:
1) "Holding should've been called on the play." Although holding happens every play, and it's a judgment call. That **** happens all the time.
2) Eli was a half second away from getting the whistle blown, it would've been a sack. Mike Carey even said so in an interview a few days after.
3) A noname wide receiver who would eventually never play again caught the ball against his helmet. This isn't Cris Carter or Jerry Rice we're talking about (or even Lynn Swan, he of acrobatic catches fame).
4) Slightly related, but a lot of people say Asante Samuel dropped the "game ending interception" the play before. Yet I still say even if he caught the ball he doesn't get two feet inbounds, this is an entirely moot point.
5) Most importantly, people are bitter.

<font color="#0000FF">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw</font> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw)

I love this play.... Greatest super bowl play in history that I have seen!