PDA

View Full Version : Overtime Rule

mromeo
02-04-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d817d7/article/postseason-overtime-rules

Am I missing something or have they created a possible scenario by which a playoff game can be won by the team that is trailing on the scoreboard?

mromeo
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
The key passage is this:

"Each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball unless the team that has the ball first scores a touchdown on its initial possession. Play continues in sudden death until a winner is determined, and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown)"

vcruz2013
02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Nope you're not missing anything... this isn't breaking news

NFCEastBeast
02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
what in gods name are you talking about? your just one of those simple @ssholes.

mromeo
02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I know this happened a while ago, but what I did miss apparently was "Approved Rule 16.6" :

"A.R. 16.6 FIELD GOAL ON FIRST POSSESSION
Team A kicks a field goal on the opening possession of overtime.
Ruling: Three points for Team A, but the game is not over. Team A must kick off to Team B. If Team B scores a touchdown or does not score the game is over. If Team B scores a field goal the game continues under sudden death."

What I didn't realize was that the game would end if the Team B failed to score a FG or TD on the possession following Team A's FG.

vcruz2013
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I know this happened a while ago, but what I did miss apparently was "Approved Rule 16.6" :

"A.R. 16.6 FIELD GOAL ON FIRST POSSESSION
Team A kicks a field goal on the opening possession of overtime.
Ruling: Three points for Team A, but the game is not over. Team A must kick off to Team B. If Team B scores a touchdown or does not score the game is over. If Team B scores a field goal the game continues under sudden death."

What I didn't realize was that the game would end if the Team B failed to score a FG or TD on the possession following Team A's FG.

ehh? how else would it be

mromeo
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I guess I'm still having trouble believeing that they are going to allow an overtime game to end on something other than a scoring play.

Ruttiger711
02-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I guess I'm still having trouble believeing that they are going to allow an overtime game to end on something other than a scoring play.

What's so hard to believe? Games ending in regulation end this way all the time. Just sounds like you're having trouble separating overtime from sudden death.... Which essentially happens anyway if the teams match scores in their first possessions.

ebick
02-04-2012, 10:34 PM
The game is also over immediately if the defense scores (TD or Safety) on the first offensive possession. I'm aware of this rule, but hope to God the refs aren't clarifying it tomorrow night!