PDA

View Full Version : Harsh criticism of Brady from a Boston sportswriter

LTMVP8686
02-06-2012, 02:02 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/02/not_so_safety_c.html?comments=all#readerComm

Not so safety call: Blame Brady for this one
Boston.com Staff February 5, 2012 10:25 PM

The legend is dead, the prince has turned back into a frog, and...well, use whatever other cliché you want.

A performance as bad as Tom Brady's tonight in Super Bowl XLVI deserves a lead just as lame.

Sorry, Tommy Boy, this one's on you. Your hideous performance led to the Giants' 21-17 Super Bowl title win. How embarrassing for your coach, your teammates, and your fans.

But especially for you, boy wonder. It was one thing when you led the game off with a safety, which surely put plenty of faith into the heart of Patriot Nation, but just when you have the game, just when you might be able to run off the clock, you huck the thing downfield. Yes, if Wes Welker catches that thing, you're in the clear, and fans will place the blame either way, but what happened to being safe in that situation? What happened to the Patriot Way and clock management?

What happened to you?

What an embarrassment for the Patriots organization and Bob Kraft. So now the Giants have taken Lombardi from you twice, and you haven't looked this bad in a playoff game since...well, two weeks ago against the Ravens. Maybe that moment will actually hit you as you're whittling down water slides in South America looking like Prince Valiant this spring. The Patriots haven't won a title in seven years, but even worse, they're now turning into the Buffalo Bills, with the Giants being their Cowboy daddy. That's not easy to swallow in a region where New York is regarded as highly as the menu at Beacon Hill Pub.

But, there you are, Tom. That's what you have become. Your legacy has been stamped, but you're turning your Joe Montana status into one of Jim Kelly. But, hey what you worry? There's that new mansion in the "Names" pages to deal with.

Yes, there were plenty of dropped passes to go around. Granted. But when you begin the game with such a boneheaded play, then proceed to make random mistakes, sorry, Tom, game is on you.

There was no fourth and 13 to blame Belichick for.

Welker was the closest thing to Asante, and the eeriness compared to the Tyree play will be discussed for decades to come.

Thanks for that too. Can't wait. Oh, look, another text coming in from 212...

Tom, it's not all your fault, but you're the poster boy, you had opportunities, and you failed to make them. Add to that your blunders, and it all becomes about you. You blew this Super Bowl. You denied your coach No. 4. You let down your teammates.

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven. How's that hit you?

Maybe it doesn't hit you as hard anymore, and maybe that's the problem.

The safety killed the Patriots. Killed them.

And there's nobody to blame but Tom Brady.

However hard it might be to swallow, the glory days are gone. Even Montana handed off to Mallett at some point, right?

MaCkTiC
02-06-2012, 02:06 AM
wow

ru_gmen55
02-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Harsh indeed. He missed some opportunities, but overall he had a very good game. It can't be his fault that the defense let Eli march down the field....AGAIN. Definitely can't lay all of the blame on Brady.

giantsfan420
02-06-2012, 02:11 AM
this has got to be some sort of joke.

even the int wasnt a poor decision, he had gronks 1 v 1 on a jump ball situation vs chase blackburn.

brady evaded a bunch of sacks, went 16 in a row at one point, scored 17 unanswered.

the giants were just the better team.

that may be the absolute worst article i've ever read.

how was that missed throw to welker a bad decision? can anyone name plays where brady made horrible mistakes aside from the safety??

i sure can't. i was nervous as **** all game bc brady was on his game. i was a lil frustrated fewell wasnt trying to move the back end closer to the LOS bc all NE would do was those short dink and dunk passes.

again, this writer just wrote the biggest piece of trash article i've ever seen, and we had to deal with ny sports writers discuss eli and coughlin...

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 02:12 AM
That's way too harsh, and obviously a spoiled fan.

when you step back you can see this is a management/roster/GM problem.

when you depend so heavily on one player on a 53 man roster, and that one player isn't perfect in the 4th quarter of a tight game, you're going to lose.

they would have lost against the Ravens but the Ravens couldn't finish what they started.

The Pats basically took Cruz out of the game, so Nicks, Manningham and Bradshaw stepped into the void.

Gronk looked like he was about 60% and Welker and Hernendez needed to combine their stats to exceed a really good Gronk day.

that team, from the wideouts to the defense, has looked like a patchwork quilt at best, and it showed when they needed a real team the most.

end of the day, if you put all your chips on one number, and it doesn't come up, you're gonna lose.

MaCkTiC
02-06-2012, 02:18 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1017706!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

SouthernGiant56
02-06-2012, 02:31 AM
What a joke. And they say the NY media is harsh....

DataWraith
02-06-2012, 02:45 AM
What a joke. And they say the NY media is harsh....

Yeah really. Does the sports columnist realize the 3 regular season losses were against teams with a winning record? Bills at the time with a winning record beat them, Steelers and Giants wound up with winning records also beat them.
So what's that tell you? The 13 wins were against teams with a losing record.
They barely scraped by the Ravens, things could have been a lot different had Evans held onto that ball for a TD. If Cundiff had made that FG.

Look at the Giants path to the Super Bowl, the Falcons, the Packers and the Niners. Maybe the Pats played a better team. I think the Giants were a better team going into the game tonight. Were there issues with the Giants at times, yeah but some times I think the 2 weeks in between the last game and Super Bowl can hurt momentum.

nyknstill!
02-06-2012, 02:46 AM
holy hell, what kind of article was that.

ELIteManning
02-06-2012, 02:55 AM
WOW that is way over the top. This guy will be lucky to have a job on Monday.

Giants10EM
02-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Wtf? Man...I thought Brady played pretty good. Not to mention even if he doesn't bomb it downfield it's still a safety. That play when he rolled out and chucked it up gave me the chills because of how much if looked like the catch.

byron
02-06-2012, 03:00 AM
way over the top the man has helped get 4 ****ing rings and I'm no fan of his by any means....but he has earned waybetter than that...maybe someone should break this guys fingers so he can't typefor awhile...

M0rbid
02-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Spoiled Bawston fans. They don't deserve Brady.

gxbhkt
02-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Pats are paper tigers. I think they had the easiest schedule this year Giants had the toughest . The gave us a hell of a game

DragonSoul
02-06-2012, 03:33 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1017706!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpgshe looks used and abused

sc_markt
02-06-2012, 03:54 AM
That's un-called for. Brady is probably the best QB ever, if not, he's in the top 3. And his receivers didn't help him much tonight.

Tuffy44
02-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Tom went on a 16 for 16 and two td run midway. I think they win if the pats didnt have the drops it was that close of a game

Bing Crosby
02-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Yeah not understanding the Brady hate from actual NE fans. Disappointment? Sure, but it's not like Brady had a bad game.

swordfish
02-06-2012, 06:41 AM
That guy needed some serious sleep before writing that God awful article, without Tom Brady your franchise would have never had a chance to go to 5 Super Bowls and win 3, any fan of any team would sign up for that. If Brady had the weapons at wide receiver and if Gronk was healthy we would not have stood a chance, just clueless reporting, Just a bad article.

Firenugget
02-06-2012, 06:52 AM
All nonsense. That was a hell of a game. Very evenly matched I think to begin with. Some Pats fans/writers have just been spoiled, that's all.

Dover Giant
02-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Sounds like some kid wrote that. Damn I must of watched a different game I thought it was kind of close.No?

CTLadyBlue
02-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Wow, that was rough. Guy has three SB rings and sounds like they're ready to run him out of town.

Joe Morrison
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Tom went on a 16 for 16 and two td run midway. I think they win if the pats didnt have the drops it was that close of a game
</P>

Missed one pass to Welker, granted it was big miss but he played a good game as expected.</P>

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/02/not_so_safety_c.html?comments=all#readerComm

The legend is dead, the prince has turned back into a frog, and...well, use whatever other cliché you want.

A performance as bad as Tom Brady's tonight in Super Bowl XLVI deserves a lead just as lame.

Sorry, Tommy Boy, this one's on you. Your hideous performance led to the Giants' 21-17 Super Bowl title win. How embarrassing for your coach, your teammates, and your fans.

But especially for you, boy wonder. It was one thing when you led the game off with a safety, which surely put plenty of faith into the heart of Patriot Nation, but just when you have the game, just when you might be able to run off the clock, you huck the thing downfield. Yes, if Wes Welker catches that thing, you're in the clear, and fans will place the blame either way, but what happened to being safe in that situation? What happened to the Patriot Way and clock management?

What happened to you?

What an embarrassment for the Patriots organization and Bob Kraft. So now the Giants have taken Lombardi from you twice, and you haven't looked this bad in a playoff game since...well, two weeks ago against the Ravens. Maybe that moment will actually hit you as you're whittling down water slides in South America looking like Prince Valiant this spring. The Patriots haven't won a title in seven years, but even worse, they're now turning into the Buffalo Bills, with the Giants being their Cowboy daddy. That's not easy to swallow in a region where New York is regarded as highly as the menu at Beacon Hill Pub.

But, there you are, Tom. That's what you have become. Your legacy has been stamped, but you're turning your Joe Montana status into one of Jim Kelly. But, hey what you worry? There's that new mansion in the "Names" pages to deal with.

Yes, there were plenty of dropped passes to go around. Granted. But when you begin the game with such a boneheaded play, then proceed to make random mistakes, sorry, Tom, game is on you.

Welker was the closest thing to Asante, and the eeriness compared to the Tyree play will be discussed for decades to come.

Tom, it's not all your fault, but you're the poster boy, you had opportunities, and you failed to make them. Add to that your blunders, and it all becomes about you. You blew this Super Bowl. You denied your coach No. 4. You let down your teammates.

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven. How's that hit you?

However hard it might be to swallow, the glory days are gone. Even Montana handed off to Mallett at some point, right?

Sheesh Giselle is being kind of rough on him, don't ya think?

bandwgn86
02-06-2012, 08:24 AM
"That's not easy to swallow in a region where New York is regarded as highly as the menu at Beacon Hill Pub. "

What does this even mean, I'm assuming since he is sooo butthurt to losing to the GMen again that it's a bad thing?

gumby742
02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
wtf. that guy is out of control. Brady might go down as arguably the best of all time. And he had a great regular season to boot. It's not like he's out of gas and is too old.</P>

Welker and Hernandez had no business dropping those balls. Although I think Welker's ball could have been better thrown.</P>

NYG4ME
02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
</p>

Missed one pass to Welker, granted it was big miss but he played a good game as expected.</p>

That catch or non catch is what led to their defeat..

But didnt Brady break Montana's record of consecutive completions in a superbowl?

How this loss falls on his shoulders is beyond me.

CantBlameShockeyNow
02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
As if Tuck, JPP, Osi, Blackburn, Canty, had nothing to do with the Pats losing...AGAIN!

nygsb42champs
02-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow! He did not play that poorly.

Snappinnecks
02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
You got to be kidding me! This guy wants Mallet? This is a classic case of 'You don't know what you have until it's gone'.

LT_was_good
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Brady was brilliant for a stretch during that game. And again on 4th-and-16. After the back-to-back TD drives on either side of halftime I was worried we couldn't stop him.

BillTheGreek
02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Tom come to the Giants, as a back up QB for Eli ,will treat you right.........will let you play some 4th quarters.

brad
02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
That's way over the top. 5 SB appearances and 3 SB rings and that's the thanks he gets in the NE press.... really?

brad
02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
That's way over the top. 5 SB appearances and 3 SB rings and that's the thanks he gets in the NE press.... really?

barran21
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Idiot writer, I am telling you this if Gronk was 100% it would have been a different game.

Redeyejedi
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I was a little surprised this game was that close.I thought the Patriots defense played well enough to win.I just didnt see the talent and the speed on the outsidefrom the Pats tohurt the Giants. I think Tom Brady did all he could with the talent he had on the field.If u dont have WR's that can stretch the field your not beating the Giants in a game that matters. My hat goes off to the Giant secondary especially Webster as WR's did nothing against the Giants all post season.Vernon Davis was the only guy to break a big play against the Giants defense </P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 09:41 AM

What happened to you?

im pretty sure making it to two superbowl in 4 years is SNIFFING a superbowl

Brady played a great game. Great job avoiding our rush, he wasn't the reason the pats lost. That saftey was bad... but last I checked their defense and special teams had them backed up like that

moronic view

Redeyejedi
02-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Brady was brilliant for a stretch during that game. And again on 4th-and-16. After the back-to-back TD drives on either side of halftime I was worried we couldn't stop him.
Those 2 drives were about as pretty as Ive ever seen. There was no way to stop them

buffyblue
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Wow this article is errily similar to a bunch of comments folks had about Eli Manning not too long ago.

Giantsfan62
02-06-2012, 10:03 AM
If Welker would have held on to that ball and scored a TD this same bone-head writer would be calling Brady a Genius and the best QB ever.....

I`m not a Brady fan by any stretch,but you can`t pin the loss on him.

swimeasy
02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Sounds like this was written by a bitter fan rather than a professional.

Hail
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Pats fans want Brady and Belichick gone by the sounds of their sports stations.

Sarcasman
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM

What happened to you?

That's one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

sligoker
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow, I thought Brady played okay. I mean he could have won the game against a very good team. These sports writers are nuts.

tikiandphil
02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1017706!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpgshe looks used and abused

Rode hard and put away wet.

giantsfan420
02-06-2012, 04:49 PM
its evident that the 5-16 4th quarter with one int heavily distorted what brady did for the rest of the game.

i thought this article was the worst ever until i studied the stats a bit more, and honestly, that was the worst quarter brady has ever had. like by far. then u factor in the safety, and then the decision that led to the int...brady went for it all right there when he really didnt have to. although the int was virtually a great punt in terms of field position.

this article still goes way over the top, but i can understand why the writer is so angry bc that was an atrocious 4th quarter from a qb u expect much better from.

DJloves
02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
That's a ******ed article. You can't rest the blame on one player, just like you can't say the Giants won only because of Eli. It's a team sport, and their TEAM was outplayed.

And it's not like we didn't have a few dropped passes/missed opportunities as well plus bogus officiating. Sure, that Welker pass will be remembered because of where/when it happened in the game, but the Giants outplayed the Pats fair and square and deserved this game.