PDA

View Full Version : This is what is wrong with the refs and officiating...

DragonSoul
02-06-2012, 04:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/super-bowl-xlvi-mario-manningham-laird-hayes-eli-manning-sideline-catch-referee-call-right-020512

Per mike pereira

The situation: The Giants had the ball, third-and-10 at the New England 43-yard line with 9:35 left in the game. The Patriots led 17-15.

The play: Manning attempted a pass to Manningham, but it was broken up by Moore. Giants coach Tom Coughlin was visibly upset, as he thought pass interference should have been called.

My take: I think it was a great no call. Moore’s left hand is on Manningham’s shoulder, but it does not twist or turn the receiver. The right hand went around Manningham’s back and knocked the ball away. It’s too tight to call pass interference because the contact was not enough to “significantly hinder” Manningham’s ability to catch the ball. The officiating crew had been letting them play the entire game, so they wouldn’t have wanted to call anything ticky-tack at that point of the game.

==================================
Do you know what I get from this? Exactly what we thought...Now we know its true. It is only a flag when the REFS deem it to be...

Screw this... this is the problem interpretations

DragonSoul
02-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

NYCDBS
02-06-2012, 05:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/super-bowl-xlvi-mario-manningham-laird-hayes-eli-manning-sideline-catch-referee-call-right-020512

Per mike pereira

The situation: The Giants had the ball, third-and-10 at the New England 43-yard line with 9:35 left in the game. The Patriots led 17-15.

The play: Manning attempted a pass to Manningham, but it was broken up by Moore. Giants coach Tom Coughlin was visibly upset, as he thought pass interference should have been called.

My take: I think it was a great no call. Moore’s left hand is on Manningham’s shoulder, but it does not twist or turn the receiver. The right hand went around Manningham’s back and knocked the ball away. It’s too tight to call pass interference because the contact was not enough to “significantly hinder” Manningham’s ability to catch the ball. The officiating crew had been letting them play the entire game, so they wouldn’t have wanted to call anything ticky-tack at that point of the game.

==================================
Do you know what I get from this? Exactly what we thought...Now we know its true. It is only a flag when the REFS deem it to be...

Screw this... this is the problem interpretations

The problem is that the rule itself leaves the play on the field open to interpretation... The rule states that it is not defensive pass interference if a defender lays a hand on a receiver but does not restrict his ability to make a play on the ball. You could argue that Manningham's ability to make a play was restricted by the defenders hand however the refs didn't see it that way... Honestly I think it was a terrible call....

look@dafilm
02-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Your team just won the super bowl, and you're whining about a pretty decent non-call that easily goes either way? And 49er fans are supposed to be the ones that ***** and moan? lol.

NYCDBS
02-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Just watched the play again its obvious that the defender grabbed his pad and turned him impeding his ability to make the catch... Such a bull**** call.

DragonSoul
02-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Your team just won the super bowl, and you're whining about a pretty decent non-call that easily goes either way? And 49er fans are supposed to be the ones that ***** and moan? lol.
Sup troll. How is smith doing? Want me to bump that thread you ignored?

PS. Unlike you dirty bunch, I prefer a ref to call it down the middle. But yet again we beat the team & the refs.

NYCDBS
02-06-2012, 05:18 AM

It's a valid point and any Giants fan has the right to bring it up especially with how bad calls went against us this year... This team had to battle the refs in the biggest spots all year.

look@dafilm
02-06-2012, 06:00 AM

PS. Unlike you dirty bunch, I prefer a ref to call it down the middle. But yet again we beat the team & the refs.

Sure? Considering I didn't, go ahead.

And Smith is just fine thank you. Aldon, Alex, Justin, they're pretty good, whichever one you're referring to.

look@dafilm
02-06-2012, 06:04 AM

It's a valid point and any Giants fan has the right to bring it up especially with how bad calls went against us this year... This team had to battle the refs in the biggest spots all year.

I'm still fuming when about the non-fumble against Green Bay for you guys. I got into a big tiff over in Ninerville because I was pissed with Perierieira's explanation and some guy had a problem with it. A fumble is a fumble is a fumble.

With that said however, the call in question in this thread is the right call IMO. If had been called a penalty, I certainly wouldn't be upset because I can see it going that way, but if if were my call I'd let the players play. He didn't hit him early, he just had his arm/hand hoovering over his back as he cam around for the ball. That's how they teach you, if you don't get the ball, at least you have the tackle.

NYCDBS
02-06-2012, 06:05 AM

And Smith is just fine thank you. Aldon, Alex, Justin, they're pretty good, whichever one you're referring to.

I'm sure they are "Just Fine" watching the Giants win the superbowl...

bLuereverie
02-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Seriously? After a SB win?

It was a bang-bang play that the refs call in real time, not the slowed down replay we are all blessed with from the television. I'm sure if we go back and watch the game with a microscope, we can find a bunch of nonflagged fouls on the Giants. Giants won not because of/in spite of officiating. Stop playing victim.

look@dafilm
02-06-2012, 06:13 AM

I'm sure they are "Just Fine" watching the Giants luck their way into another victory...

Fixed ;)

On the reals, I have to hand it to the Giants. They are certainly not the best team I've ever seen, but they hustle, and therefore get all the breaks. I've never seen 1 team fall on their own fumbles, recover muffs, benefit from drops and "near-misses", etc as much as this team and they are Super Bowl champions because of it.

DragonSoul
02-06-2012, 06:30 AM

It was a bang-bang play that the refs call in real time, not the slowed down replay we are all blessed with from the television. I'm sure if we go back and watch the game with a microscope, we can find a bunch of nonflagged fouls on the Giants. Giants won not because of/in spite of officiating. Stop playing victim.

Sorry I don't play the victim. I call it how I see it win or lose. Never said it cost us or would have cost us the game. Just pointing inaccuracies in the interpretations. Sorry if that bugs you. Don't look next time.

bLuereverie
02-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Sorry I don't play the victim. I call it how I see it win or lose. Never said it cost us or would have cost us the game. Just pointing inaccuracies in the interpretations. Sorry if that bugs you. Don't look next time.

OK. Point out all the noncalls that went against all the other teams.

DragonSoul
02-06-2012, 06:39 AM

OK. Point out all the noncalls that went against all the other teams.Have in the past. Nice try. Want to try to find some this game?

Again was talking about interpretation. Not 1/2 other pis not called or the bs call on boothe for our 1st down that cost us.

How about the non-holding call on JPP on final hail mary play of the game?

See the point/difference?

bLuereverie
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Interpretations are judgement calls just like the calls on the field, except with better resources for review.

The only thing that may have impeded Manningham from making the catch is the left hand impeding Mario's left arm from fully extending up. But from a technique, Moore played it as every DB is taught to play the ball. He played the ball with his right, hooks his left arm around the receiver.