PDA

View Full Version : So, Do we & Can We Pay Mario?

NYG4ME
02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Did that catch drive up the price for him? You know your going to have to shell out extensions and pay Cruz... I want Super Mario back for obvious reasons..

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Did that catch drive up the price for him? You know your going to have to shell out extensions and pay Cruz... I want Super Mario back for obvious reasons..

price would of already been out of our league, regardless of what some posters might say

he just got himself a bigger deal...

Great job for us Mario, goodluck wherever you go (as long as its not the Eagles, Jets, Cowboys, or Redskins)

nygsb42champs
02-06-2012, 09:03 AM
It is going to be very difficult to keep him unless he likes it here so much he would give the Giants a home team discount.

slipknottin
02-06-2012, 09:03 AM
price would of already been out of our league, regardless of what some posters might say

The FA WR class this year is probably the best ever...

That will help control the prices. The biggest question is what kind of cap room the giants have, and how many roster spots they need to fill.

From when I looked earlier it seemed like every backup at every position was a FA, they have a lot of work to do.

LT_was_good
02-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I think he'll be paid very well somewhere else. I'm happy for him.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Great job for us Mario, goodluck wherever you go (as long as its not the Eagles, Jets, Cowboys, or Redskins)

+1

i'm really happy for him.

this boosted his payday, and not by a little.

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I'd love to see them keep the 3 Amigos together, but I have a feeling this is the last game MM has played in a Giants uniform.

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 09:07 AM

That will help control the prices. The biggest question is what kind of cap room the giants have, and how many roster spots they need to fill.

From when I looked earlier it seemed like every backup at every position was a FA, they have a lot of work to do.

seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap...

we shoul dbe giving cruz a deal this offseason.

Mario is gone...

due to the FA class, i think we'll sign somebody at a big discount

slipknottin
02-06-2012, 09:10 AM
seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap...

They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)

Gimaniac
02-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Mario may well be the highest paid receiver in the NFL next year, not because he is the best, just great timing on his part to put on a show for the ages.

bLuereverie
02-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm not so sure he necessarily earned a huge contract just yet from another team, especially guaranteed money. This one catch in the SB shouldn't change anything. Statistically, he had a horrible year.

Maybe I'm a bit altruistic, but since we're talking about 1-2 year contract since Nicks/Cruz are priorities in a sign, maybe it is wiser for him to take a short lucrative contract with a team/QB he has won with, reestablish his value and re enter free agency where he won't be in an economical competition with other receivers.

Or would a long term contract with Cleveland [his home state], who have no QB or shot at the playoffs, be worth it at this point?

ebick
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Reminds me of the Carlos Beltran situation.</P>

He got a great pay day for a great play-offs performance....outside of that....</P>

</P>

Mario has been very....inconsistent with the Giants. He shined last night, but (and see Smith/Boss/Buress) IN REESE I TRUST. Whatever he and the coaching staff decide.</P>

GMENAGAIN
02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
No . . . you can'y pay your #3 WR like he is a #1 WR, especially when your #1 and #2 WR's will be looking for their money very soon.</P>

Just bad business . . . . </P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM

They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)

I doubt we're going to find that many willing players to take a pay cut after a superbowl win.

typically that makes people want MORE money.

plus we had so many guys cut contracts last year...

im just not sure we got that much room with Cruz nad Nicks wanting such big deals.

Personally, i think its more realistic that we'd get a guy like Reggie Wayne at a price than Manningham.

somebody is going to give Manningham a contract, with years and cash - we can't and won't do that - unless ur suggesting moving on from Nicks or Cruz

gumby742
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap... They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)</P>

Webster also. The guy is making like 8 million a year now.</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Reminds me of the Carlos Beltran situation.</p>

He got a great pay day for a great play-offs performance....outside of that....</p>

</p>

Mario has been very....inconsistent with the Giants. He shined last night, but (and see Smith/Boss/Buress) IN REESE I TRUST. Whatever he and the coaching staff decide.</p>

ridic

he was the #2 punch last year in the best receiving combo in the league. He had a banged up year and the emergence of Cruz. There wasn't enough balls to go around.

Rio is a damn fine player. The knocks on here about him are so over exaggerated

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 09:49 AM
seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap... They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)</p>

Webster also. The guy is making like 8 million a year now.</p>

ZERO shot Webster takes a significant change to a contract. Hes pretty underpaid for his production

NYG4lifeNYK
seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap... They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)</p>

And he deserves EVERY penny.

barran21
It's time for JJ to step up...

MattMeyerBud
and lets not forget with Webster -Ross and T2 are free agents as well

I think Ross may of earned a contract with us

gumby742
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap... They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)</P>

ZERO shot Webster takes a significant change to a contract. Hes pretty underpaid for his production
</P>

How much are other corners making in the league? If everyone else is making 10 then it's a bargain for us.</P>

gumby742
02-06-2012, 09:52 AM

</P>

I think Ross comes back, but not for much. We have Cruz, KP, Beatty, Boothe in 2013 also.</P>

jomo
02-06-2012, 09:53 AM
No . . . you can'y pay your #3 WR like he is a #1 WR, especially when your #1 and #2 WR's will be looking for their money very soon.</P>

Just bad business . . . .* </P>Agreed, he is clearly our #3 for a number of reasons. Still he has worked hard in his time here and improved. He remains a dangerous, elusive receiver with route running problems that shouldn't be there for a guy with his experience.

His catch last night will bind him to us forever and I am appreciative for his contributions. He is looking at a big pay day somewhere else. We'll need that money to take care of Nicks and Cruz, both very young and to bolster the OL etc.

LT_was_good
02-06-2012, 09:54 AM

</p>

How much are other corners making in the league? If everyone else is making 10 then it's a bargain for us.</p>

I think guys like Revis and Nnamdi make about 10, which would make Webster properly paid.

gumby742
02-06-2012, 09:55 AM

</P>

How much are other corners making in the league? If everyone else is making 10 then it's a bargain for us.</P>

I think guys like Revis and Nnamdi make about 10, which would make Webster properly paid.
</P>

Yeah I'm cool with that. Good CBs are hard to come by.</P>

bLuereverie
02-06-2012, 09:58 AM

I can't see Diehl re-redoing his contract, especially after taking a paycut to move to LG and then fill in for LT again.

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:00 AM

</p>

How much are other corners making in the league? If everyone else is making 10 then it's a bargain for us.</p>

the franchise tag for CBs are projected to be 10 mil.

so u figure the top 5 CBs are being paid around 10.. Webster is on contract for 2 more years - 6.5 next year and 7 mil the year after

great value for him. Giants made a great contract wtih him

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM

</p>

I think Ross comes back, but not for much. We have Cruz, KP, Beatty, Boothe in 2013 also.</p>

I think Ross made a case for a nice contract. First year healthy and he really balled out for most of the year for us....

JesseJames
02-06-2012, 10:03 AM
I think Mario needs to be paid for the total of his work this season and not just for his performance in one game...

THE_New_York_Giants
02-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Manningham will end up on the Bills, Pats, or Bears

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
The reality of this upcoming season is that we are in a bad cap situation for the next 2 years.

Jerry needs to have an amazing draft and get value contracts like he did with bradshaw. I don't even want to think about it

lets just enjoy this for a slong as we cna

Antone78
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
You have to remember, we will probably get a pretty good comp. draft pick next year because of Mario, and also Ross.

swordfish
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I am sure Tom Brady would love to have him, he has no deep threat and Mario would be perfect for him. Gronk, Hernandez, Mario. NE has screwed the pooch with their drafts these last few years. Always miving up in the draft so they can save money, they had 15 free agents on that team, more saved money, Imagine if they gave Brady a stud WR or 2 and a decent RB, he would be lethal, I'd he is not already, they have shortchanged their franchise QB big time.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I would love to keep all 3 together. However I don't fault anybody for getting their money. Good luck to Mario hopefully he doesn't land with a rival.

swordfish
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
You have to remember, we will probably get a pretty good comp. draft pick next year because of Mario, and also Ross.Ross is getting resigned, Mario might also.

Joe Morrison
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
If Mario is smart he will settle for a decent deal being he only plays 75% of the time and leave some money on the table for Cruz, he is the reason Manningham got his chances.</P>

As far as Ross goes, I wouldn't give him a big payday, it's not like he's a cover corner.</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
If Mario is smart he will settle for a decent deal being he only plays 75% of the time and leave some money on the table for Cruz, he is the reason Manningham got his chances.</p>

As far as Ross goes, I wouldn't give him a big payday, it's not like he's a cover corner.</p>

Ross def shut alot of us haters up this year. First year he was healthy and he was pretty legit for us.

I would be happy to have him back next year

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
seeing as how we're going to have to lock up Cruz and Nicks shortly, we don't have the cap... They may have much more cap room than a lot of us think, especially if they can get some guys to redo contracts (Diehl)

I doubt we're going to find that many willing players to take a pay cut after a superbowl win.

typically that makes people want MORE money.

plus we had so many guys cut contracts last year...

im just not sure we got that much room with Cruz nad Nicks wanting such big deals.

Personally, i think its more realistic that we'd get a guy like Reggie Wayne at a price than Manningham.

somebody is going to give Manningham a contract, with years and cash - we can't and won't do that - unless ur suggesting moving on from Nicks or Cruz
</P>

+1</P>

thank you.</P>

"hey, we just won a SB, time to take a paycut".</P>

TT, Nicks, Cruz, Tuck in two years, Kiwi.</P>

Osi, MM, Jacobs while valuable players are the pieces you have to part with simply because they either feel their market value is really high, or it actually is.</P>

Either way, you can't afford all 7 guys there.</P>

gumby742
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
If Mario is smart he will settle for a decent deal being he only plays 75% of the time and leave some money on the table for Cruz, he is the reason Manningham got his chances.</P>

As far as Ross goes, I wouldn't give him a big payday, it's not like he's a cover corner.</P>

Ross def shut alot of us haters up this year. First year he was healthy and he was pretty legit for us.

I would be happy to have him back next year
</P>

It's going to be interesting to see if they choose Ross or a hurt TT. Keep in mind also we have Prince waiting in the wings.</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
If Mario is smart he will settle for a decent deal being he only plays 75% of the time and leave some money on the table for Cruz, he is the reason Manningham got his chances.</p>

As far as Ross goes, I wouldn't give him a big payday, it's not like he's a cover corner.</p>

talk about where do u come from?

He should take less for less time than going out and getting paid with a better opportunity to play?

THAT makes sense

brad
02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
He played pretty well, and had a great catch when it mattered the most, but the reality is he is #3 on the Giants roster. He is going to want, and probably deserves, more than #3 dollars. Unfortunately the Giants only have so much $$ to throw around, and there are other players on this team that are also looking to get paid. I wish MM well wherever he goes, unfortunately I don't think we will see him with the Giants next year.

sg92
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Mario may well be the highest paid receiver in the NFL next year, not because he is the best, just great timing on his part to put on a show for the ages.

That's crazy talk. Even the skins aren't stupid enough to pay Top WR money for him.

Diamondring
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow pay for Mario? We have other players as well like JPP, Osi. Cruz, Nicks and maybe some others.

Eli TO Shockey
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Is it next season or the season after that all nfl teams must be at 90% of salary cap?

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Is it next season or the season after that all nfl teams must be at 90% of salary cap?

i think they had to be at it this year no?

Eli TO Shockey
02-06-2012, 12:07 PM

i think they had to be at it this year no?

No it's coming up. Teams like the bucs are way under the cap. The reason I brought that up is that teams are going to NEED to spend money to get to that 90%. A lot of good wr's avail. Teams need to spend money. Especially since WRs like manningham are the future of the nfl. I don't think the market will die down for deep threat WR's. Especially those who just won a SB. ??

JJC7301
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM

+1, yeah I can't just imagine being able to keep him -- that's just life. I expect either the Jets, 49ers, or 'skins to sign him.

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 12:11 PM

+1, yeah I can't just imagine being able to keep him -- that's just life. I expect either the Jets, 49ers, or 'skins to sign him.

i see 49ers

i think its a lock

Eli TO Shockey
02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Bring back Steve smith!!!

Eli TO Shockey
02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Vincent Jackson, desean Jackson , stevie Johnson , MM, Wayne, plax all free agents. Those are just off the top of my head

Eli TO Shockey
02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Btw Matt, nice sig! HA!!!!