PDA

View Full Version : Welker Drop? That was a horrible pass!

Markroman
02-06-2012, 09:58 AM
I do not get the focus on the "welker drop". Yes, Welker is know for making that circus catch. Sorry, but, that was a fricken horrible throw to a wide open receiver.

When a receiver has to go aerial and backwards to haul a pass...it is not only on him.

gumby742
02-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I do not get the focus on the "welker drop". Yes, Welker is know for making that circus catch. Sorry, but, that was a fricken horrible throw to a wide open receiver. When a receiver has to go aerial and backwards to haul a pass...it is not only on him.</P>

Absolutely. Both QB and WR are at fault in that situation cough *Eli's tipped INTs last year* cough</P>

LT_was_good
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, when Collinsworth said Welker makes that catch "100 times out of 100" I thought, "uhh..." I mean Welker is great, but to me that's maybe a 6 or 7 times out of 10 play. And it would have been a GREAT catch.

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I do not get the focus on the "welker drop". Yes, Welker is know for making that circus catch. Sorry, but, that was a fricken horrible throw to a wide open receiver.

When a receiver has to go aerial and backwards to haul a pass...it is not only on him.

not the most accurate of balls, but it got there and hit him in both hands

the WRs are professionals too... u have to make that catch

Kruunch

Actually it wasn't.

The play was supposed to go inside the numbers but if Brady throws that, KP has an easy pick.

Brady threw it exactly where it needed to be ... Welker just whiffed on a slightly awkward catch.

Gmen2005
agreed, it was a bad pass.

MattMeyerBud

Actually it wasn't.

The play was supposed to go inside the numbers but if Brady throws that, KP has an easy pick.

Brady threw it exactly where it needed to be ... Welker just whiffed on a slightly awkward catch.

i wouldn't call it horrible, but it DEF could of been better

either way - Welker has to come down with it

qndarius3
02-06-2012, 10:03 AM
He should have caught that ball. It hit him in the hands. Wasnt the best pass but he should have caught it.
Rogers missed some easy ones too. it happens.
Luckily our QB was calm cool and collected!

It was destiny for our team to win it this year!

Tony Bruno
02-06-2012, 10:03 AM
I think he got both hands on it... At the end of the day he was open the pass got there... Ha dhe made that catch the outcome of that game may have been different...But it didnt so whatever!!!

Husky
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
+1
Kruunch (../members/Kruunch.aspx) Giants forced him to throw it a little behind or get picked.

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Actually it wasn't.

Especially considering Welker had the most receptions in the league this year.

He doesn't nromally drop a pass that hits him in the middle of both hands.

I saw it as a lucky gonk on his part.

Even Gisele agrees with me lol.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/gisele-bundchen-rips-patriot-receivers-141619667.html

stormblue
02-06-2012, 10:11 AM
woulda-shoulda-coulda = losers.

nygfanmaybe
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
If you think that catch is easy then you've never tried to twist while in mid-air and catch the ball at the same time. Could he have made the catch? Absolutely! But it wasn't an easy catch...just as Samuel's missed INT in the last SB was not an easy catch.

Joe Morrison
02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I can't believe that everyone is all over Welker about this, it was a lousy pass and could he have caught it, yes, but an easy catch, no way, lets put it where it belongs, Brady missed a wide open reciever point blank, get off Welkers back.

Markroman
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
All I am saying is that too much dumping going on Welker. He was twisting in the air to try to get to the ball.

He had to adjust while in the air. Very few receivers can make that catch and he is probably 1 of 3 or 4. It was no gimme and I think a little unfair to see all the focus as if it was an easy catch.

Jotun_Fan
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I think it was an intentional backshoulder throw, KP had good position to take away that seam route. Welker had an opportunity to make a play but thats a pretty tricky catch. If he makes that catch people would talk about how amazing it was. This play was an example of good defense that often goes unnoticed.

Diamondring
02-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Actually it wasn't.

Not all of the time though. I looked at the play and it looked like the wr wasn't ready for the pass. I also thought that Brady threw the ball before the wr was ready so the catch is not automatic.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
i called in pretty angry to a toronto sports show just an hour ago.</P>

the question was, if you have to win a game, one game, which quarterback would you want?</P>

the caller before me said he'd pick Tom Brady still, because.....and then i listened to a bunch of garbage on how clutch Brady is, and how Eli is just lucky.</P>

Tom gives us 2 points and good field position at the beginning of the game, missed that throw to Welker, he got no help from welker but he missed that throw, can't convert the 3rd and 11, throws behind Branch when he desperately needs a chunk of yards with less than a minute left.</P>

This coming off a game where the threw 2 picks and stillwon when a kicker shanked a 30 yard field goal.</P>

I'm sorry, the magical 4th quarter comeback kid Tom Brady is dead until further notice........</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Actually it wasn't.

Not all of the time though. I looked at the play and it looked like the wr wasn't ready for the pass. I also thought that Brady threw the ball before the wr was ready so the catch is not automatic.

the ball hit him in both of his hands

the WR hsa to come down with that 100 out of 100 times

Welker admitted tha tin the press conference

Regardless of this new found theory that people seem to have about what should be caught and what shouldn't, its not subjective. THE RULE OF FOOTBALL IS IF IT HITS U IN THE HANDS U HAVE TO MAKE THE CATCH

Ralph Brown
02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I hate hearing the word "if"</P>

In sports, the word "if" is only used by losers.</P>

End of story</P>

Morehead State
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I do not get the focus on the "welker drop". Yes, Welker is know for making that circus catch. Sorry, but, that was a fricken horrible throw to a wide open receiver. When a receiver has to go aerial and backwards to haul a pass...it is not only on him.</P>

It was a near perfect pass. If he threw it more inside it would have been picked by KP. If he threw it more outside it would have been right into coverage. He threw it to the open spot in the defense and the kid dropped it. Great QB's throw passes to create an open receiver. Thats what Brady did. </P>

Thats the second piece of analysis you are way off base on this morning.</P>

MattMeyerBud
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I do not get the focus on the "welker drop". Yes, Welker is know for making that circus catch. Sorry, but, that was a fricken horrible throw to a wide open receiver. When a receiver has to go aerial and backwards to haul a pass...it is not only on him.</p>

It was a near perfect pass. If he threw it more inside it would have been picked by KP. If he threw it more outside it would have been right into coverage. He threw it to the open spot in the defense and the kid dropped it. Great QB's throw passes to create an open receiver. Thats what Brady did. </p>

Thats the second piece of analysis you are way off base on this morning.</p>

it def could of been a better ball.. he could of thrown it there but not as high

but it had to be caught - no excuse for the drop

Morehead State
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM

It was a near perfect pass. If he threw it more inside it would have been picked by KP. If he threw it more outside it would have been right into coverage. He threw it to the open spot in the defense and the kid dropped it. Great QB's throw passes to create an open receiver. Thats what Brady did. </P>

it def could of been a better ball.. he could of thrown it there but not as high

</P>

How could it have been thrown better? If he catches the ball (as he should have) everybody would have said what great touch Brady showed on that pass. He threw it to a place where Welker could catch the ball without getting lit up by a DB, or have it picked.</P>

gumby742
02-06-2012, 10:40 AM

the question was, if you have to win a game, one game, which quarterback would you want?</P>

the caller before me said he'd pick Tom Brady still, because.....and then i listened to a bunch of garbage on how clutch Brady is, and how Eli is just lucky.</P>

Tom gives us 2 points and good field position at the beginning of the game, missed that throw to Welker, he got no help from welker but he missed that throw, can't convert the 3rd and 11, throws behind Branch when he desperately needs a chunk of yards with less than a minute left.</P>

This coming off a game where the threw 2 picks and stillwon when a kicker shanked a 30 yard field goal.</P>

I'm sorry, the magical 4th quarter comeback kid Tom Brady is dead until further notice........</P>

</P>

Tom Brady is still Tom Brady and he's still the top QB in the league imo. But in the 4th quarter, need a score with 2 minutes left, there isn't anyone i'd rather have than Eli. And this goes all the way back since 2007.</P>

Ralph Brown
02-06-2012, 10:40 AM

</P>

How could it have been thrown better? If he catches the ball (as he should have) everybody would have said what great touch Brady showed on that pass. He threw it to a place where Welker could catch the ball without getting lit up by a DB, or have it picked.</P>

</P>

</P>

"If...If....If...."</P>

Fact is, it didn't happen. And that's why they aren't world champions and the GMEN ARE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO</P>

Big Blue 418
02-06-2012, 10:42 AM
The ball was throqn behind Welker . Usually hwe makes the catch but come on lets not get carried aweay and make him a scapegoat , it wasn't an easy atch . Brady's safty blunde and intr was far more pivotal

Providence
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Thank you for posting this, I have been saying myself. That was a terrible pass by Brady. He totally blew it.

Redeyejedi
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM

It was a near perfect pass.* If he threw it more inside it would have been picked by KP.* If he threw it more outside it would have been right into coverage.* He threw it to the open spot in the defense and the kid dropped it. Great QB's throw passes to create an open receiver.* Thats what Brady did.* </P>

+1 Look at the coverage it was the only place to put the ball. There were 3 Giants there. Phillips would of had an easy pick if he doesnt throw it there

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM

</P>

Tom Brady is still Tom Brady and he's still the top QB in the league imo. But in the 4th quarter, need a score with 2 minutes left, there isn't anyone i'd rather have than Eli. And this goes all the way back since 2007.</P>

</P>

He's still Tom Brady, but based on his performance in this year's playoffs, he's not the same tom brady anymore, not with the team they've built around him.</P>

The defense isn't good enough and the TEs and pocket rocket aren't replacements for legit WRs.</P>

AllTuckedUp
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM

not the most accurate of balls, but it got there and hit him in both hands

the WRs are professionals too... u have to make that catch

Exactly. Hit him in the hands.

gumby742
02-06-2012, 10:46 AM

</P>

</P>

He's still Tom Brady, but based on his performance in this year's playoffs, he's not the same tom brady anymore, not with the team they've built around him.</P>

The defense isn't good enough and the TEs and pocket rocket aren't replacements for legit WRs.</P>

</P>

They certainly aren't doing him any favors that's for sure - forcing him to dink and dunk. But from what I hear, the Pats of a TON of cap room to spend.</P>

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I do not get the focus on the "welker drop". Yes, Welker is know for making that circus catch. Sorry, but, that was a fricken horrible throw to a wide open receiver. When a receiver has to go aerial and backwards to haul a pass...it is not only on him.</p>

It was a near perfect pass.* If he threw it more inside it would have been picked by KP.* If he threw it more outside it would have been right into coverage.* He threw it to the open spot in the defense and the kid dropped it. Great QB's throw passes to create an open receiver.* Thats what Brady did.* </p>

Thats the second piece of analysis you are way off base on this morning.</p>

It wasn't a high throw.

The play was a timed seam pass to the inside shoulder of the receiver.

Brady recognized that the inside was being taken away by the Safety and the outside was covered by the corner.

He threw it just on the outside of Welker's head ... guaranteed not to get picked but still give the receiver a chance to make a play on the ball (the receiver with the most receptions in the NFL this season I might add).

Welker turned to the inside as the play called for, saw the ball coming towards his outside and twisted all the way around to make the adjustment (making him sink down as he twisted and the ball to appear high).

He got both of his palms on the ball and couldn't make it stick.

It's not the easiest catch to make but one you expect Welker to be able to do (and has done many times in the past).

The throw was about as perfect as it could have been given the circumstances and the play that was called.

It's not really a "fault" type of thing. If he makes the catch its part of what makes the Pats so great (and might ensure that they win last night). If he doesn't, it's part of what allowed the Giants to make a last minute game winning drive (which is what happened).

All apart of the drama and greatness that is a close Super Bowl game.

Morehead State
02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
The ball was throqn behind Welker . Usually hwe makes the catch but come on lets not get carried aweay and make him a scapegoat , it wasn't an easy atch . Brady's safty blunde and intr was far more pivotal</P>

It had to be if he didn't want it picked. That pass was thrown near perfectly. If he didn't throw it where he did, KP would have had an easy int.</P>

Morehead State
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM

It wasn't a high throw. The play was a timed seam pass to the inside shoulder of the receiver. Brady recognized that the inside was being taken away by the Safety and the outside was covered by the corner. He threw it just on the outside of Welker's head ... guaranteed not to get picked but still give the receiver a chance to make a play on the ball (the receiver with the most receptions in the NFL this season I might add). Welker turned to the inside as the play called for, saw the ball coming towards his outside and twisted all the way around to make the adjustment (making him sink down as he twisted and the ball to appear high). He got both of his palms on the ball and couldn't make it stick. It's not the easiest catch to make but one you expect Welker to be able to do (and has done many times in the past). The throw was about as perfect as it could have been given the circumstances and the play that was called. It's not really a "fault" type of thing. If he makes the catch its part of what makes the Pats so great (and might ensure that they win last night). If he doesn't, it's part of what allowed the Giants to make a last minute game winning drive (which is what happened). All apart of the drama and greatness that is a close Super Bowl game.</P>

You are exactly correct. I have no idea what some of these guys are talking about.</P>

Ralph Brown
02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
The playI get most confused about is in that final drive with Branch going across the middle, they say that Brady threw it behind him for the incompletion. </P>

DIDN'T KP get a hand on it? It looked like it to me in slow motion? Doesn't seem to get any credit for it</P>

JMFP2
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM

It was a catchable ball....but definitely not an easy catch. Welker had to spin around, and the ball was also slightly behind him, and high.</P>

After the catch, the Patriots let the Giants roll 88 yards for the game winning TD. And Brady still had a some time on the clock and a timeout to respond, and didn't.</P>

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
The play*I get most confused about is in that final drive with Branch going across the middle, they say that Brady threw it behind him for the incompletion. </P>

DIDN'T KP get a hand on it? It looked like it to me in slow motion? Doesn't seem to get any credit for it</P>

I thought KP tipped that ball too.

But it was still in and out of Branch's hands. The general rule of thumb with receivers is that if it hits your hands, you should catch it.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 11:03 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

They certainly aren't doing him any favors that's for sure - forcing him to dink and dunk. But from what I hear, the Pats of a TON of cap room to spend.</P>

</P>

you can dink an dunk when you've got bruschi, seymore, samuel, vrabel, colvin, mcginest, and harrison on defense.</P>

you can't dink and dunk with the defense they're fielding today.</P>

Ruttiger711
02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
The playI get most confused about is in that final drive with Branch going across the middle, they say that Brady threw it behind him for the incompletion. </P>

I thought KP tipped that ball too. But it was still in and out of Branch's hands. The general rule of thumb with receivers is that if it hits your hands, you should catch it.</P>

</P>

KP definitely tipped... nearly caught it actually.</P>

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 11:09 AM

This coming off a game where the threw 2 picks and still*won when a kicker shanked a 30 yard field goal.</P>

</P>

Tom Brady is still Tom Brady and he's still the top QB in the league imo.* But in the 4th quarter, need a score with 2 minutes left, there isn't anyone i'd rather have than Eli.* And this goes all the way back since 2007.</P>

</P>

</P>

They certainly aren't doing him any favors that's for sure - forcing him to dink and dunk.* But from what I hear, the Pats of a TON of cap room to spend.</P>

</P>

you can dink an dunk when you've got bruschi, seymore, samuel, vrabel, colvin, mcginest, and harrison on defense.</P>

you can't dink and dunk with the defense they're fielding today.</P>

They don't have any vertical game. All they can do is dink and dunk.

Ralph Brown
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM

I thought KP tipped that ball too. But it was still in and out of Branch's hands. The general rule of thumb with receivers is that if it hits your hands, you should catch it.</P>

</P>

Not if it's tipped that close to you. Slight change in direction screws everything up.</P>