PDA

View Full Version : We weren't lucky to win - here's where the luck came.........

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
</P>

2007 - GLARING need for a running team is we don't have a healthy blocking fullback.</P>

In a league where fullbacks are smaller guys with decent hands and speed, the Rams out of no where cut a fantastic blocking fullback. We sign him immediately and our team ends up with nicknames for our 3 RBs.</P>

2011 - GLARING need for a punter that doesn't suck, who can kick a ball out of bound on command.</P>

The quality management and culture over at the Jets decides that since Weatherford isn't generating a 50 yard punt average, and he needs to be cut. We pick him up and he's absolutely CLUTCH for us all season, including 3 punts in the Championship game thathad the pats start at the 4, 6 and 20. Not to mention an all word hold for the OT FGagainst the 49ers.</P>

</P>

We weren't lucky to win our Superbowls, but how do you pick up such CRITICAL pieces to our puzzle based on other teams going in a different direction and being just STUPID?</P>

That's how we're lucky.</P>

GmenFan1980
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Let them call it whatever they want.

If luck beats skill, then **** it give me all the luck in the world as we win more championships :)

keyofgmen
02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
*</P>

2007 - GLARING need for a running team is we don't have a healthy blocking fullback.</P>

In a league where fullbacks are smaller guys with decent hands and speed, the Rams out of no where cut a fantastic blocking fullback.* We sign him immediately and our team ends up with nicknames for our 3 RBs.</P>

2011 - GLARING need for a punter that doesn't suck, who can kick a ball out of bound on command.</P>

The quality management and culture over at the Jets decides that since Weatherford isn't generating a 50 yard punt average, and he needs to be cut.* We pick him up and he's absolutely CLUTCH for us all season, including 3 punts in the Championship game that*had the pats start at the 4, 6 and 20.* Not to mention an all word hold for the OT FG*against the 49ers.*</P>

*</P>

We weren't lucky to win our Superbowls, but how do you pick up such CRITICAL pieces to our puzzle based on other teams going in a different direction and being just STUPID?</P>

One could make a case that Weatherford was the SB MVP!

giantman8493
02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
*</P>

In a league where fullbacks are smaller guys with decent hands and speed, the Rams out of no where cut a fantastic blocking fullback.* We sign him immediately and our team ends up with nicknames for our 3 RBs.</P>

The quality management and culture over at the Jets decides that since Weatherford isn't generating a 50 yard punt average, and he needs to be cut.* We pick him up and he's absolutely CLUTCH for us all season, including 3 punts in the Championship game that*had the pats start at the 4, 6 and 20.* Not to mention an all word hold for the OT FG*against the 49ers.*</P>

*</P>

One could make a case that Weatherford was the SB MVP!Ha!

buddy33
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
The better team won.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Let them call it whatever they want. If luck beats skill, then **** it give me all the luck in the world as we win more championships :)</P>

this isn't about everyone saying we're lucky to have one.</P>

That's what LOSERS say to CHAMPIONS all the time. it helps them sleep at night.</P>

this is about admitting where we are lucky, and its because of the stupid roster moves of other teams.</P>

</P>

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
*</P>

*</P>

Not sure having a quality front office who makes solid decisions is lucky .... but I'll take it!

JJC7301
02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
You just got to trust in JR and the FO to pick up the right guys -- they are truly a superior FO. And trust in this TC and his coaches to develop these players or fit them into the system.

I don't know how well other organizations do with UFAs, but how many can boast the talent of Cruz, Ballard, and Hynoski?

As for Weatherford, when I heard that he was a directional punter I was very happy because Feagles had completed converted me as to how important that really was. ALL punters should try to be directional and ALL organizations should demand it because it really is critical.

There is no luck involved with this team -- no team is going to "luck" its way through the playoffs and a SB win. Would never happen.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
</P>

In a league where fullbacks are smaller guys with decent hands and speed, the Rams out of no where cut a fantastic blocking fullback. We sign him immediately and our team ends up with nicknames for our 3 RBs.</P>

The quality management and culture over at the Jets decides that since Weatherford isn't generating a 50 yard punt average, and he needs to be cut. We pick him up and he's absolutely CLUTCH for us all season, including 3 punts in the Championship game thathad the pats start at the 4, 6 and 20. Not to mention an all word hold for the OT FGagainst the 49ers.</P>

</P>

Not sure having a quality front office who makes solid decisions is lucky .... but I'll take it!</P>

we absolutely have a quality front office, but you don't need one to sign a directional punter and blocking fullback when you really really need both, and both become available because teams CUT them.</P>

it's unbelievable.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
You just got to trust in JR and the FO to pick up the right guys -- they are truly a superior FO. And trust in this TC and his coaches to develop these players or fit them into the system. I don't know how well other organizations do with UFAs, but how many can boast the talent of Cruz, Ballard, and Hynoski? As for Weatherford, when I heard that he was a directional punter I was very happy because Feagles had completed converted me as to how important that really was. ALL punters should try to be directional and ALL organizations should demand it because it really is critical.</P>

and look at our division and who the ST returners are.</P>

Every team takes punts and KOs back for TDs in our division.</P>

you can't boom kicks in our division, you have to keep the ball out of their hands.</P>

it's not an option, its a requirement for survival.</P>

</P>

JJC7301
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
*</P>

*</P>

Not sure having a quality front office who makes solid decisions is lucky .... but I'll take it!</P>

we absolutely have a quality front office, but you don't need one to sign a directional punter and blocking fullback when you really really need both, and both become available because teams CUT them.</P>

it's unbelievable.</P>
Well, technically I don't believe the Jets cut Weatherford. I think they just decided not to resign him, and according to Weatherford he had no desire to go back to them. I could be wrong -- just what I thought I remembered.

JJC7301
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
You just got to trust in JR and the FO to pick up the right guys -- they are truly a superior FO. And trust in this TC and his coaches to develop these players or fit them into the system. I don't know how well other organizations do with UFAs, but how many can boast the talent of Cruz, Ballard, and Hynoski? As for Weatherford, when I heard that he was a directional punter I was very happy because Feagles had completed converted me as to how important that really was. ALL punters should try to be directional and ALL organizations should demand it because it really is critical.</P>

and look at our division and who the ST returners are.</P>

Every team takes punts and KOs back for TDs in our division.</P>

you can't boom kicks in our division, you have to keep the ball out of their hands.</P>

it's not an option, its a requirement for survival.</P>

*</P>
Yeah, remember how BAD our special teams were last year without a directional punter? True, there are many better punters than Matt Dodge, but directional makes Special Teams that much easier to improve over all. It's like having a top QB on the offense -- elite QBs make their offenses so much better, and so do excellent directional punters. Takes so much away from the other teams return game.

I love when our team is strong in all 3 aspects of the game. I thought that after Parcells left that for about a good period of time ST had been a weak link and it really annoyed me. ST was at minimum VERY solid this year -- just like in '07. I would still love to Hixon (or someone with his ability) to return for us.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
</P>

</P>

it's unbelievable.</P>

Well, technically I don't believe the Jets cut Weatherford. I think they just decided not to resign him, and according to Weatherford he had no desire to go back to them. I could be wrong -- just what I thought I remembered.</P>

fair enough. the fact that he was available is just stunning to me.</P>

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
*</P>

*</P>

it's unbelievable.</P>

How about us keeping Cruz on the roster specifically so that the Jets didn't grab him?

nygsb42champs
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
The signing of Weatherford was one of the Giants best free agent signings ever!

Rivera(S)
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
We were lucky to suck in 2003 in order to get into position to trade for Eli.

Dorkasaurus
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
"luck through applied skill"