PDA

View Full Version : Welker drop similar to Miles Austin pass

eastbayblue
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Anyone notice the similarities between the Welker drop and the Miles Austin incomplete pass?
In both situations our season was saved.

bflo23
02-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Anyone notice the similarities between the Welker drop and the Miles Austin incomplete pass?

Welker drop? More like Brady pass.... Bad pass. Brady had Welker open and made Welker jump, spin around and try catch the ball on wrong shoulder.

Romo bad throw.... Brady bad throw.

jomo
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Interestingly, many blamed Romo for an errant throw but no one is saying that Brady could have made a better throw there. All the dumping is on Welker. Brady was not under pressure and he had a clear throwning lane. I know Welker can and does make that catch often but everone is saying he catches that 11 out of 10 times. Not true! That was a tough chance for Welker and Brady could have made it less tough.

titwio
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM
It was the only place he could put the throw. Kenny Phillips was in perfection position to break up the play so Brady had to make that throw away from coverage.

It was a tough catch but it wasn't a bad throw. It was the only place he could put it.

bflo23
02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
It was the only place he could put the throw. Kenny Phillips was in perfection position to break up the play so Brady had to make that throw away from coverage.

It was a tough catch but it wasn't a bad throw. It was the only place he could put it.

I disagree. Brady and Welker even said it was a blown coverage and he was wide open. Welker even slowed down a bit to spin around. He should have easily hit him the numbers and in stride. Phillips would have never been there in time to break it up.

eastbayblue
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Welker drop? More like Brady pass.... Bad pass. Brady had Welker open and made Welker jump, spin around and try catch the ball on wrong shoulder.

Romo bad throw.... Brady bad throw.

I was more referring to more about the outcome and similarity of the plays rather than the specific fault on the play, but your point is correct about the throw, it was not perfect in either case.

titwio
02-06-2012, 12:27 PM

I disagree. Brady and Welker even said it was a blown coverage and he was wide open. Welker even slowed down a bit to spin around. He should have easily hit him the numbers and in stride. Phillips would have never been there in time to break it up.

It's been analyzed all day on ESPN. Welker was running towards Phillips and yeah he could have caught it if Brady through the way he was running but it was HIGHLY likely he would have gotten popped and the play would have been broken up. Brady lead him away from coverage and was the reason Welker had to stop jump back shoulder.

It wasn't a bad throw....It's an adjustment but it was the safest throw. The window was misleading being that three Giants defenders were around him even though Welker was open.

bflo23
02-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I was more referring to more about the outcome and similarity of the plays rather than the specific fault on the play, but your point is correct about the throw, it was not perfect in either case.

Yea. If Romo makes that easy wide open pass, the Giants pretty much never make the playoffs. If Brady makes that easy wide open pass, Giants chances to win the Super Bowl is really reduced.

If Eli can hit a 38 yard bomb to Manningham with the perfect pass, it just shows you how Eli has surpassed his opponent QBs. Eli can make that Romo or Brady simple pass with his eyes close.

jomo
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Clearly Mrs. Brady thinks it was a perfectly thrown ball. lol

bflo23
02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
It's been analyzed all day on ESPN. Welker was running towards Phillips and yeah he could have caught it if Brady through the way he was running but it was HIGHLY likely he would have gotten popped and the play would have been broken up. Brady lead him away from coverage and was the reason Welker had to stop jump back shoulder.

It wasn't a bad throw....It's an adjustment but it was the safest throw. The window was misleading being that three Giants defenders were around him even though Welker was open.

I have to agree with Rob Parker and Skip Bayless. They both put 100% of the blame on Brady on that play. It wasn't a good throw at all.

Pause at 5:59.... There is at least a 6 yard gap between Phillips and Welker. Brady should have hit Welker in the #s. There is no way he could close in time if Brady threw a bullet to Welker in the #s. And just by looking at Phillips footwork, he is running more down the field than across the field. He is expecting Welker to be running in stride..... Eli makes that pass.... Brady was being compared to Joe Montana as the greatest ever. Montana makes that pass easily.

<font color="#0000FF">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights</font>

bflo23
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I played the play over and over a couple time and paused it. Pause at 5:59 in this link. I thought he would have been tackled by Phillips if Welker caught it in stride but now, I think that is a most likely a TD pass if Brady hits him in stride. I don't think Phillips has the angle to cut him off if Welker is in stride.

<font color="#0000FF">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights</font> (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights)

pino
02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Destiny. You can't stop it.