PDA

View Full Version : to younger fans.... appreciation

YATittle1962
02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it

appreciate Eli

dont take these players for granted

appreciate these coaches

be thankful for this front office

stay humble and dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you

all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet

so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore......

anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart

we are world Champions again family

enjoy it

G-Man67
02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
as a younger fan, i appreciate this ... oh who am i kidding !!!!

no this is good info, don't think your team is simply going to play and win a Super Bowl every 4 years ... it was 17 years between SB wins from SB 25 to SB 42, 17 loooooonnnnggg years ... appreciate this and realize you are watching some of the better players and coaches ever to wear Giants blue

Ruttiger711
02-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Well said!</P>

</P>

I was thinking the same thing too that this really cemented the dynasty being over at 18-<FONT size=6>1</FONT><FONT size=2>. Since then they are just another team that cant get over that hump (NYG!!) to win the big one. </FONT></P>

Razur
02-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet

so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore......

anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart

enjoy it

Bravo! Well said...for the record..my two daughters ages 25 & 26 are devoted NY Gmen fans..and are learning each season how hard it is to be a fan , 1st off...and to appreciate the talent & maturation of players on this team in particular..I know they are getting more involved and becoming solid fans each year,,This Super Bowl was the 2nd for them..and trhey know...that doesnt come often and to value the moment...but hang in there..

Kruunch
02-06-2012, 01:39 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

+1

In 20 years you'll be saying you saw Eli play and pull out Super Bowls with last minute drives, just like us geezers can say what it was like when Marshall sacked Montana out of his career.

giantsfan420
02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
great post YA.

your the godfather of the Giants MB nation

GmenFan1980
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.plus1clothing.com/images/designs/plus1.png

NWKEffectElement
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

+1

In 20 years you'll be saying you saw Eli play and pull out Super Bowls with last minute drives, just like us geezers can say what it was like when Marshall sacked Montana out of his career.

I'm in my early 30's and have witnessed all 4 and some horrible seasons. It feels great and I really appreciate it.

gumby742
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
awesome thread. so many of us are giant fans based from generation after generation. It's important we keep a good thing going. stay classy. stay smart. stay excited no matter what.</P>

just don't turn into loud mouth, arrogant for nothing Jet fans.</P>

YATittle1962
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

+1

exactly

nygsb42champs
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Very very good point. Super Bowl titles are not to be taken for granted.

Sundown
02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Excellent post. When the day comes and I'm a father I'll be able to tell my kid about this era, how the team is run, it's legacy and how the franchise is bigger than just football. So glad I'm a Giants fan!!

NYG4ME
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Great post YA.

Drez
02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it appreciate Eli dont take these players for granted appreciate these coaches be thankful for this front office stay humble and dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore...... anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart we are world Champions again family enjoy it</P>

I'm in my mid-30's, so I became a fan during the Parcell's era, so I don't know the pain of having witnessed the dark days of the '70s. </P>

However, I do know how difficult it is to maintain such a high level of performance year in and year out. I am cherishing every moment of it and only hope that there is more from where that came from!</P>

egyptian420
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it
Well put my friend, I truly feel extremely appreciative, thankful, and grateful to be a Giants fan and have this opportunity to watch the best QB in this franchise's history every Sunday.

Roosevelt
02-06-2012, 02:57 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

Great post YA.

I think I heard we are 4-0 in NFC Championship games along with going 4-1 in Super Bowls. That is not something to be taken lightly.

Now there are only 3 teams to have won more SB's than us. 14 teams that have never won one, and 4 who have never even gotten there. Then of course there are 2 teams that have been there 4 times and lost every time.

So it is a time to cherish with your family and friends. It's a great time to be a Giants fan and it has been for quite some time.

We have a lot to be thankful for.

MikeIsaGiant
02-06-2012, 04:04 PM
21 years old and I'm so happy for this team, LOVE THEM!

YATittle1962
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

Great post YA.

I think I heard we are 4-0 in NFC Championship games along with going 4-1 in Super Bowls.* That is not something to be taken lightly.

Now there are only 3 teams to have won more SB's than us.* 14 teams that have never won one, and 4 who have never even gotten there. * Then of course there are 2 teams that have been there 4 times and lost every time.

So it is a time to cherish with your family and friends.* It's a great time to be a Giants fan and it has been for quite some time.

9-1 in NFC Championship games and Superbowls in the last 25 years

our G Men

swimeasy
02-06-2012, 10:22 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

+1

+2 and LT and Theismann

Hostetler
02-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Just think YA, us geezers will be able to say we saw both Burt and Marshall end Montana, and, Eli with 2 last minute game winning drives.

Giants869011
02-06-2012, 10:29 PM
As a younger fan I can tell you I have been appreciating every minute of this ! I almost feel spoiled for the runs that this team gives us

giantyankee1976
02-06-2012, 10:33 PM
+ 1

I was spoiled to grow up in the 80s where we had people like LT, Bavaro, Simms, Reasons, Carson, Cross, Morris, OJ Anderson, Ingram, Carthon, Burt and Marshall...

I "suffered" through the Handley and Reeves years

Fassel gave us glimpses and my dudes were Short, Armstead, Toomer, Stray... and the Ravens and Uncle Ray Ray derailed my joy.

Coughlin years thus far have been (obviously) great Accomplishments, giving me emotional highs and then there have been the one-and-dones, the slef-destructing at the worse times, the lack of killer instincts, the Djax run-backs and the Hester run-backs.

I was spoiled with the Ewings, Houstons, LJ's, Masons and Starks - I had Jordan and Reggie Miller to thank for heartbreaks

Mattingly and Randolph, Winfield and Rickey-- told that this Club was "The Ballclub" and had to wait for the 90s to really appreciate this fact. (also learned first hand how much people hated any NY ballclub of any sport, for it was the 90s that saw me move from NYC to Chicago)

I've visited other Message Boards and find the fans there are just like ours-- some knowledgeable, some considerate, most indifferent, some jealous, spiteful and hateful.

No one else can be a Giants fan, except Giants' fans. In the end only we care about our Club the way we do.

Be thankful that in this current iteration of the New York Football Giants, we can have much to celebrate and be proud of !!!

All In.

GiantWarfare
02-06-2012, 10:42 PM
http://www.plus1clothing.com/images/designs/plus1.png

This.

Couldn't have been truer words YA!!!

WR4Life
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I can still remember crying watching the Ravens destroy the Giants in the Superbowl when I was 10 years old. I remember at that point in my young life thinking that I would never see the Giants win the Superbowl. At such a young age I truly believed that my destiny was to suffer my entire life without watching my beloved Giants stand on top as champs. In 2007 that all changed. A dream had finally come true. To relive that dream yesterday was something special. I'm already dreading the day that Coughlin retires and the day that Eli hangs up the cleats. We are in the middle of a very special era of football. I know that when i get older and look back on this Giants era, I know that I will look back on it the way most of you older guys look back on the 80s.

byron
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it appreciate Eli dont take these players for granted appreciate these coaches be thankful for this front office stay humble and dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore...... anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart we are world Champions again family enjoy it

Great post YA.

I think I heard we are 4-0 in NFC Championship games along with going 4-1 in Super Bowls. That is not something to be taken lightly.

Now there are only 3 teams to have won more SB's than us. 14 teams that have never won one, and 4 who have never even gotten there. Then of course there are 2 teams that have been there 4 times and lost every time.

So it is a time to cherish with your family and friends. It's a great time to be a Giants fan and it has been for quite some time.

I've all ways loved Giants football...theway they turned things around and finished out this year , has to beat the top of list as one of the greatest runs ever...6 on the edge of your seats games, against all odds they becomeWorld Champs again...there was three generations of us watching that game Sunday, myself,my son and his son it was a big deal for me ...these are good times...

BlueBeast84
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

I'm 28 and didn't really become a true fan of the Giants until I was around 12-13, so I didn't get to see Super Bowl XXI or Super bowl XXV. When we lost in Super Bowl XXXV I thought to myself, "Will I ever get to see the Giants win a Super Bowl."

I finally got to witness one in 2007 which was the best feeling ever and then 5 years later we do it again. I still think that this is a dream and I'm going to wake up. GO GIANTS!!!! Super Bowl XVI Champions.

lnp12
02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Wonderful post YA...really great to keep perspective

I'm only 17, first full football game I ever watched was SB 42 and didn't get really invested until last year...needless to say I've been pretty spoiled. My dad suffered through the 70s and reminds me every day how lucky I am. This era is just great to witness; I'm proud to be a NY Giants fan!

YATittle1962
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it appreciate Eli dont take these players for granted appreciate these coaches be thankful for this front office stay humble and dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore...... anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart we are world Champions again family enjoy it

Great post YA.

I think I heard we are 4-0 in NFC Championship games along with going 4-1 in Super Bowls.* That is not something to be taken lightly.

Now there are only 3 teams to have won more SB's than us.* 14 teams that have never won one, and 4 who have never even gotten there. * Then of course there are 2 teams that have been there 4 times and lost every time.

So it is a time to cherish with your family and friends.* It's a great time to be a Giants fan and it has been for quite some time.

I've all ways loved Giants football...the*way they turned things around and finished out this year , has to be*at the top of list as one of the greatest runs ever...*6 on the edge of your seats games, against all odds they become*World Champs again...there was three generations of us watching that game Sunday, myself,my son and his son it was a big deal for me ...*these are good times...*

thats a beautiful thing byron...... beautiful thing

Roosevelt
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
I can still remember crying watching the Ravens destroy the Giants in the Superbowl when I was 10 years old. I remember at that point in my young life thinking that I would never see the Giants win the Superbowl. At such a young age I truly believed that my destiny was to suffer my entire life without watching my beloved Giants stand on top as champs. In 2007 that all changed. A dream had finally come true. To relive that dream yesterday was something special. I'm already dreading the day that Coughlin retires and the day that Eli hangs up the cleats. We are in the middle of a very special era of football. I know that when i get older and look back on this Giants era, I know that I will look back on it the way most of you older guys look back on the 80s.

Don't look down my friend. We are in good hands with John Mara. Have faith in the Mara family. They are good people and they know football.

Roosevelt
02-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Great post YA.

I've all ways loved Giants football...theway they turned things around and finished out this year , has to beat the top of list as one of the greatest runs ever...6 on the edge of your seats games, against all odds they becomeWorld Champs again...there was three generations of us watching that game Sunday, myself,my son and his son it was a big deal for me ...these are good times...

That's what Giants Football is all about B.

The memories with our family and friends will last forever and are priceless.

I went 'all-in' for season tickets to pass them on to my kids.

My kids (14 &amp; 12) bleed blue. I'm teaching them well!

Roosevelt
02-07-2012, 12:08 AM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

I'm 28 and didn't really become a true fan of the Giants until I was around 12-13, so I didn't get to see Super Bowl XXI or Super bowl XXV. When we lost in Super Bowl XXXV I thought to myself, "Will I ever get to see the Giants win a Super Bowl."

I finally got to witness one in 2007 which was the best feeling ever and then 5 years later we do it again. I still think that this is a dream and I'm going to wake up. GO GIANTS!!!! Super Bowl XVI Champions.

Cool dude. Love hearing stories like this.

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 12:11 AM
+1. I started following football in the early '80s and have been able to enjoy every one of their SB victories. I know, however, that they weren't even in the first 20 SBs and didn't win one for 17 years, so I appreciate every single one.

Younger fans, appreciate this.

zimonami
02-07-2012, 12:56 AM
This was a totally bonus season and SB win, as you know YA. It was a bonus to just reach the playoffs. I appreciated this run like a special Christmas present... totally unexpected, and totally cherished. Aunt Jean and Kris would have gone berserk with happpiness. A great day to be a Giant fan... very satisfying.

LvGiants
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

As a young Giants fan, truly watching the team and being a fanatic since I've been '99(5 years old), truly do appreciate this. While i haven't been around for horrible seasons, i do remember our 03' season and our devastating collapse in 09' well. Losing or bad seasons, for me most memorable was out 09' 8-8 season where we had probably one of the worst collapses in NFL history, it truly does making moments like this most enjoyable. Lets hope this isn't the start of a Super Bowl drought! ALL IN!!!

YATittle1962
02-07-2012, 10:54 AM
This was a totally bonus season and SB win, as you know YA. It was a bonus to just reach the playoffs. I appreciated this run like a special Christmas present... totally unexpected, and totally cherished. Aunt Jean and Kris would have gone berserk with happpiness. A great day to be a Giant fan... very satisfying.

I was thinking of you Sunday Zimmy

I know Well Mara knocked that pass out of Welkers hands

but could it be Aunt Jean who tapped it away from Branch and Kris who convinced Hernandez to look up field before he secured the catch ?

who knows

there were definitely spirits with us throughout this whole run ...from the Jets game until now

I thought of you and smiled on the Patriots final possession Sunday

firstgamein49
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Great posts by YA and Zimmy. I'm possibly the only one around older than u2. I remember Gifford's rookie year! I remember the horrible 60's and 70's. Well, the early 60's were pretty good, but no Championships. It was interesting that we kept winning our div. in the late 50's and early 60's, but it took the Colts Packers and Bears to defeat us!
It's been a great year, and I truly expect the Gmen to be better next year, regardless of the draft. Our WR's will have a year of experience, our LB's will also. I really don't think LB is a cause for concern. I'm much more worried about our O line. Age, injuries really hurt this year. We really need to re establish our running game, and to do that, we have to open holes. Petrus helped. I wnder if we'll see that rookie T we signed this past year (name escapes me, like a lot of other stuff, LOL)

Tony Bruno
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
+1</P>

</P>

</P>

RoanokeFan
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

This ^

YATittle1962
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Great posts by YA and Zimmy. I'm possibly the only one around older than u2. I remember Gifford's rookie year! I remember the horrible 60's and 70's. Well, the early 60's were pretty good, but no Championships. It was interesting that we kept winning our div. in the late 50's and early 60's, but it took the Colts Packers and Bears to defeat us!
It's been a great year, and I truly expect the Gmen to be better next year, regardless of the draft. Our WR's will have a year of experience, our LB's will also. I really don't think LB is a cause for concern. I'm much more worried about our O line. Age, injuries really hurt this year. We really need to re establish our running game, and to do that, we have to open holes. Petrus helped. I wnder if we'll see that rookie T we signed this past year (name escapes me, like a lot of other stuff, LOL)

wow

you really are papa bear around here then

I turned 10 in '62 so I remember the end of Giffords career....but to see his rookie year in '52 means you saw every second of the golden years .....Im envious

zimonami
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM

but could it be Aunt Jean who tapped it away from Branch and Kris who convinced Hernandez to look up field before he secured the catch ?

who knows

there were definitely spirits with us throughout this whole run ...from the Jets game until now

LOL, YA... Before the game my son gives me a big hug and says, "I can feel Aunt Jean and Mom here with us." Dang, it was an eerie feeling. When Bradshaw fell into the end zone I could feel Kris screaming... Aunt Jean was more reserved, because she was worried about the time left on the clock. It felt strange.
After SB 42 my son, a good artist, made a little sketch of Tyree (8.5 x 11) holding the ball to his helmet, and Harrison (?) ripping at his arm, In the backround you see Wellington and Tisch's ghosts, each with an outstretched hand on top of Tyree's hand, helping to hold it tight. It was beautiful. I told him to make a lerge pencil sketch and we'd give it to the Gmen, but he never got around to it.
Well and Tisch, Aunt Jean and Kris, and I'll bet many other departed Gmen fanatics were all there pinning Mario's feet to the turf for that split second before he went out of bounds.

keyofgmen
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Family and Giants....as good as it gets.
I reminded my sons that they already have 2 SB victories at their age and I did not have a victory until 1986 when I was 5 years older than my oldest son right now.

Lastly...my youngest brother went with my oldest brother to game. We got the lottery tix (season tix since 1953). I had been already. It was very important to me and my family, as sadly it will likely be the younger's last chance to see a SB.
I am so freakin happy he saw that game!!

Thanks Giants!!!

NYG 5
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
the great thing about this win is that the team finally reversed about 13 years of bad luck. now, instead of losing the games they should win, they win the games they should win and the games they should lose.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it appreciate Eli dont take these players for granted appreciate these coaches be thankful for this front office stay humble and dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore...... anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart we are world Champions again family enjoy it +1 In 20 years you'll be saying you saw Eli play and pull out Super Bowls with last minute drives, just like us geezers can say what it was like when Marshall sacked Montana out of his career.Hey! Who you calling old geezer? I saw that game and I am not old...LOL

Kruunch
02-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it appreciate Eli dont take these players for granted appreciate these coaches be thankful for this front office stay humble and dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore...... anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart we are world Champions again family enjoy it +1 In 20 years you'll be saying you saw Eli play and pull out Super Bowls with last minute drives, just like us geezers can say what it was like when Marshall sacked Montana out of his career.Hey! Who you calling old geezer? I saw that game and I am not old...LOL

I felt ancient because I saw the Parscik fumble live ... but YA and firstgamein49 bailed me out on my Methuselah complex.

A title I'm happy to pass on to those worthy posters. http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-15.gif

YATittle1962
02-07-2012, 02:33 PM

who knows

LOL, YA... Before the game my son gives me a big hug and says, "I can feel Aunt Jean and Mom here with us." Dang, it was an eerie feeling. When Bradshaw fell into the end zone I could feel Kris screaming... Aunt Jean was more reserved, because she was worried about the time left on the clock. It felt strange.
After SB 42 my son, a good artist, made a little sketch of Tyree (8.5 x 11) holding the ball to his helmet, and Harrison (?) ripping at his arm, In the backround you see Wellington and Tisch's ghosts, each with an outstretched hand on top of Tyree's hand, helping to hold it tight. It was beautiful. I told him to make a lerge pencil sketch and we'd give it to the Gmen, but he never got around to it.
Well and Tisch, Aunt Jean and Kris, and I'll bet many other departed Gmen fanatics were all there pinning Mario's feet to the turf for that split second before he went out of bounds.

this post brought a tear to my eye

zimonami
02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
While I am older (65) than YA, he has been a true Gman fan several years more than me. I watched every available Giant game since The Game in '58, but I was a diehard Jets fan as my Brother-in -law played with the Titans for a cup of coffee their first year ('60?).
Then, in '67 I marry Kris, and meet her spinster Aunt Jean who is a Giant season tix holder since '43 and personal friends with many of the older Giants (Rote, Webster, Yuso, Giff, Conerly,Well). God she had so many excellent stories about them, and loved her Giants passionately. For several years she'd have the entire O Line to her apartment in Inwood every Monday after a game for a big stew dinner, She said they blocked the sun from coming in her windows, and they'd be sore from the game and told her they didn't feel human again until Wednesday/Thursday.
We lived in CT in '68 and Jean brought me to my first Giant game... a preseason game against the Pats at Yale Bowl... and some games at Yankee stadium (she didn't have a driver's license). Every game was, "Good-bye Allie!!. Then when the Giants played all their games at Yale Bowl ('72, '73) Jean moved in with us from August to January and we went to all the games together. Webster was the coach. It didn't take long going to all those Giant games that I was a Born Again GMan fanatic, and the Jets became as unimportant and annoying as Sales Tax. We moved to NJ the opening season at the Meadowlands, '76... Perfect. Aunt Jean and I went to every game excpet for the occasions when I brought Kris, or my sons. I was with my oldest son for The Fumble, and he and I went to SB XXV. Aunt Jean died in '90, and never got to see that SB victory, but '86 was probably the thrill of her life, and Harry became her all-time favorite Giant.

firstgamein49
02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I will turn 71 in 2 months. I wear contacts (since spring of '58) and I was in NYC getting them checked, and the doc said I might be interested in meeting his visitor since I played football. It was Gifford. I believe it was '60 or '61 when he was out from the Bednaric thing. Just a very pleasant guy. Met his wife Maxine at the hardware store where I worked in the summers. What a babe! Much prettier than Kathy, but she contracted MS as did my oldest sister who was a really rabid Gfan. The Gmen were such fun to watch back then. They truly expected to win every game. They felt it was a fluke if they didn't. Once Tittle came on board, they would really light up the other teams. Rote, Shofner, Webster, I think Schnelker was still there. Gifford came back. They got an actual tight end, Aaron Thomas who I liked, but YA didn't throw to him very much. Then, Joe Morrison arrived, Mr. do everything. They never had a real burner tho'. Buddy Dial got traded. They drafted a speed guy whose hair was too long, and he wound up being Joe Willie's deep threat (can't think of his name either), but Shofner was great on deep outs.
I was on a train going home from NYC in '59, and I was changing cars. All of a sudden the door opened in front of me, and the biggest man I'd ever seen bumped into me. It was Rosie Brown, maybe the greatest LT of all time, certainly the best Giant.
That's all for now. Never met any of you guys, but as mutual Gfans, I'm really impressed with all your knowledge of the game, and you love of the Giants!

zimonami
02-07-2012, 04:36 PM
I will turn 71 in 2 months. I wear contacts (since spring of '58) and I was in NYC getting them checked, and the doc said I might be interested in meeting his visitor since I played football. It was Gifford. I believe it was '60 or '61 when he was out from the Bednaric thing. Just a very pleasant guy. Met his wife Maxine at the hardware store where I worked in the summers. What a babe! Much prettier than Kathy, but she contracted MS as did my oldest sister who was a really rabid Gfan. The Gmen were such fun to watch back then. They truly expected to win every game. They felt it was a fluke if they didn't. Once Tittle came on board, they would really light up the other teams. Rote, Shofner, Webster, I think Schnelker was still there. Gifford came back. They got an actual tight end, Aaron Thomas who I liked, but YA didn't throw to him very much. Then, Joe Morrison arrived, Mr. do everything. They never had a real burner tho'. Buddy Dial got traded. They drafted a speed guy whose hair was too long, and he wound up being Joe Willie's deep threat (can't think of his name either), but Shofner was great on deep outs.
I was on a train going home from NYC in '59, and I was changing cars. All of a sudden the door opened in front of me, and the biggest man I'd ever seen bumped into me. It was Rosie Brown, maybe the greatest LT of all time, certainly the best Giant.
That's all for now. Never met any of you guys, but as mutual Gfans, I'm really impressed with all your knowledge of the game, and you love of the Giants!

That's great... Loved reading this.
That was Don Maynard who the Giants let get away to the Jets.
You ought to stop in to the "Did You Know" thread that YA started... lots of old time Giant Questions that you'd enjoy remembering, and a lot of great old timers and new timers on there.
I am absolutely sure that, like me, you considered this SB victory to be a complet Bonus. I enjoyed this ride and was totally relaxed the whole time (well, I was a little nervous when Brady went 16/16) because just getting to the playoffs was a bonus gift for us... everything else was gravy.
As we know, chemistry is as important as talent... and we have talent... but, these guys developed their Mojo with each other, and got healthier, just in time.

zimonami
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM

That's great... Loved reading this.
That was Don Maynard who the Giants let get away to the Jets.
You ought to stop in to the "Did You Know" thread that YA started... lots of old time Giant Questions that you'd enjoy remembering, and a lot of great old timers and new timers on there.
I am absolutely sure that, like me, you considered this SB victory to be a complet Bonus. I enjoyed this ride and was totally relaxed the whole time (well, I was a little nervous when Brady went 16/16) because just getting to the playoffs was a bonus gift for us... everything else was gravy.
As we know, chemistry is as important as talent... and we have talent... but, these guys developed their Mojo with each other, and got healthier, just in time.
I meant to mention... you had contacts when they were hard as a rock. Me too, and they were hard to get used to. The first time I wore mine, in '69 (?), I went to a Giant at Patriots preseason game the night Foxboro opened. They hurt so bad my eyes were twitchin and all teared up and I couldn't see the game. There was no running water in the stadium yet... what a fiasco in the bathrooms... Ugghh... the sinks were full of everything imaginable, so I was afraid to take them off. Anyways, you know what I mean.

firstgamein49
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I got my lenses at Obrig Labs. They were scleral lenses, with a hole at the bottom, and about as big around as a nickle, maybe a little larger. The outside of the lens sat on the white of the eye. The worst thing about fitting them was when they made a mold of the eye with some sort of rubber. It was pretty hot, and they gave me a shot to numb the eye alittle. I wore those all through college, and about two years in the Army. My unit was out in the field in Germany, and I had taken the lenses out, put them in a little leather case, and sat them on a field desk for the night. When I got up the next AM, the case was gone. The CQ had cleaned the desk, and burned all the trash. We looked thru the stuff and found the case, singed, but the lenses were melted. A year later, I got the hard corneal kind which I still wear.
The big ones wouldn't pop out. You had to take them out. Great for football, unless the other teamstarts throwing dust at you! It happened at our game against Ossining HS! Also great for swimming with your eyes open. The corneal type, not so much.
I do know what you mean about the sinks! Worst thing now is if I get them in and there's a tiny piece of dirt on the inside......and then I can't get them OUT!

Markroman
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I remember the day Bavaro was let go and I knew it was the end of an era.

There were dark dark times when the Handley era started...through the Dave Brown/Kannell etc...

The false hope of the Fassel underachieving country club.

I am old enough the remember the pre-80s and how awful that was.

A forgotten man is Ray Perkins...1st Giant coach to start bringing the franchise to respectibility.

Remember how everyone dumped on George Young for drafting Phil Simms from a no-name school.

lovetohatetheeagles
02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Two words really sums this up....

RAY HANDLEY

GameTime
02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I just want to take a second to remind you younger guys and girls to truly soak all of this in and truly appreciate it appreciate Eli dont take these players for granted appreciate these coaches be thankful for this front office stay humble and <FONT color=#000080 size=4>dont let 2 Championships in 4 years jade you </FONT>all the horrible seasons and teams I and a lot of the old timers have witnessed truly make seasons like this one so so sweet so while you are celebrating officially ending a " Dynasty"......because folks lets face it.....thats over.....2 SB losses to the same team......they just cant pull that card anymore...... anyway....while you are celebrating that.......just remember how rare this actually is and hold it close to your heart we are world Champions again family enjoy it</P>

well said. I am not quite in your "era" YA I only go back to the late 70's as a fan. But everything you say is absolutely true...</P>

</P>

</P>

gmen46
02-07-2012, 08:15 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

Right on the money, as usual.

One of my favorite references regarding this is a comment I read from Dan Marino near the end of his career.

He said that after his Super Bowl vs the Niners (ending his second year in the league) he believed it was so easy for him and his team to get there that even though they lost that one, there would be "plenty more chances" for him to win Super Bowls.

After all, not only was he so good at what he did, he had Shula--3 time Super Bowl winner--as his HC, didn't he?

Never got close to one again.

That is forever stuck in my brain.

NJGIANTinNC
02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I was lucky enough to have the 07 season be my first season drinking legally at the bars. As much cursing and overall aggravation that season cost me, not including $$$. At 21 I was disappointed thinking my best seasonal a Giant fan had come and gone. With what I bELIeved would be the greatest playoff run ever. Concluding with being cut off for the third and final time and tossed out the front door by the bartender in a Tom Lady jersey chanting 18-1.

Then 2011-12 came around and crushed it. Soooo much sweeter the second time. Still in shock
+ I won my fantasy league

Here's to # 5 !!

YATittle1962
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM

appreciate Eli

appreciate these coaches

enjoy it

Right on the money, as usual.

One of my favorite references regarding this is a comment I read from Dan Marino near the end of his career.

He said that after his Super Bowl vs the Niners (ending his second year in the league) he believed it was so easy for him and his team to get there that even though they lost that one, there would be "plenty more chances" for him to win Super Bowls.

After all, not only was he so good at what he did, he had Shula--3 time Super Bowl winner--as his HC, didn't he?

Never got close to one again.

That is forever stuck in my brain.

great post