PDA

View Full Version : Why risk it????

redbeardxxv
02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Why did TC risk running the ball on our final TD drive? Bradshaw should have never had the chance to score. Eli could have just kneeled and had Tynes kick the xtra point sized FG, 18-17, no time left. Instead, AB gets the ball, and we risk a fumble, or we risk a score, as it played out, forcing us to put the ball in the hands of TOM FREAKIN' BRADY with a minute to go down the field, which he almost did. Yeah, yeah, I know, we won.But, now that the euphoria is wearing off, I'm starting to analyze more.....

sligoker
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Coughlin explained it---he said that anything can happen with a field goal attempt no matter how close it is. I agree with him.

slipknottin
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
tom brady almost drove down the field?

REALLY???

Two sides to everything, but I prefered the TD and forcing the pats to score a TD, rather than giving brady 20 seconds and only needing a FG to win.

FGs/XPs are no sure thing, ever.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Coughlin had a "mea culpa" in an inteview with the NFL network where he said that he never told bradshaw to stop at the one. It was eli mentioning to him that he should down the ball at the one.</P>

Coughlin said not giving bradshaw a clear strategy there was 'on him' (meaning Coughlin).</P>

i really underestimate how tough being a HC is. Can you imagine having guys chirping at you constantly in your headphones, and you're trying to manage the clock, and you're making calls (2 points, go for it on 4th), and you're telling guys what their focus should be (watch for the onside, kick it OB dodge, stop at the one bradshaw).</P>

Yikes. i get to pause and contemplate all this stuff in madden.</P>

GmenFan1980
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
get as close as possible while also making them burn time outs. Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, Cundiff wiff should have shown us, you can't always trust the kick will go in.

:) it all worked out in the end

repeatchamps
Why did TC risk running the ball on our final TD drive? Bradshaw should have never had the chance to score. Eli could have just kneeled and had Tynes kick the xtra point sized FG, 18-17, no time left. Instead, AB gets the ball, and we risk a fumble, or we risk a score, as it played out, forcing us to put the ball in the hands of TOM FREAKIN' BRADY with a minute to go down the field, which he almost did. Yeah, yeah, I know, we won.But, now that the euphoria is wearing off, I'm starting to analyze more.....</P>

You'd really want everything to come down to a FG attempt? I know Tynes has made the big kick while with the Giants but many things can go wrong. You have to trust the rest of your team. You get as many points as you can when you can and trust that your special teams and defense will stepup after the TD and help win you the game with under a minute left in the game.</P>

Firenugget
I see no issue with it.

SalsaCruz80
02-06-2012, 05:44 PM
thinking it over, if nicks had stayed in bounds on the 2nd and 3, giants literally could have ran it all the way down to :01. pats would have had to use one of their two remaining timeouts. then you figure that eli would center the ball on 1st and goal and that would leave the ball at the 8 or 9 with the pats burning their final TO. then comes a knee on 2nd down which brings up 3rd down at the 10. finally, the final knee by eli with less than :40 to go in the game and that last TO called will bring tynes onto the field with the ball spotted dead center at the 11 or 12 yard line.

if there's a way to set a poll up, here would basically be the question: do giant fans trust tynes enough that he won't screw up a 30 yarder down broadway?

in all honestly if it came down to that and he missed, there's no way that he'd be able to step foot in the metropolitan area without a mask the rest of his life. lol

slipknottin
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
how about if the patriots just let nicks score on that catch?

give brady like 2 minutes, and 2 timeouts.

NY_Eli
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I think when you're losing a game, and you have an opportunity to take a lead with under a minute to play, you have to take it.

keyofgmen
02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I would have gone ballistic if Bradshaw did stop on 1. A FG under that much pressure is a scary deal. For example..Cundif miss, Romo snap bobble, JPP block on Dallas ...can you imaging what that would have felt like?
Take the points.. get ahead in the SB with a minute left..are you kidding?

jjj45
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I would have gone ballistic if Bradshaw did stop on 1. A FG under that much pressure is a scary deal. For example..Cundif miss, Romo snap bobble, JPP block on Dallas ...can you imaging what that would have felt like?
Take the points.. get ahead in the SB with a minute left..are you kidding?Well actually if it had been a JPP block kinda deal, the ball would still have gone through from that short a distance.

GCGiant
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Saved me a little typing...

BillTheGreek
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM

100 % right

SalsaCruz80
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM

yeah, but hypothetically, cundiff's attempt was on the right hash mark outdoors and in this case, you're talking about literally a 25-30 yarder indoors with the ball centered already and a holder with magic hands in weatherford.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I would have gone ballistic if Bradshaw did stop on 1. A FG under that much pressure is a scary deal. For example..Cundif miss, Romo snap bobble, JPP block on Dallas ...can you imaging what that would have felt like? Take the points.. get ahead in the SB with a minute left..are you kidding? 100 % right</P>

6 of one, half dozen of the other.</P>

Do you feel more confident in Tynes making a conversion kick on 3rd down, or giving tom brady a time out and a minute to get a touchdown?</P>

hindsight says take the points, but any of hernendez, or either one of Branch's 2 passes being complete and you have yourself a much more tense situation.</P>

The part i was most suprised with was how unclutch tom was in the 4th. </P>

there were plays out there for them to make, probably to win the game or come awfully close, and he flat out didn't make them.</P>

i honestly expected more from Tom Brady as an opponent.</P>

keyofgmen
02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I would have gone ballistic if Bradshaw did stop on 1. A FG under that much pressure is a scary deal. For example..Cundif miss, Romo snap bobble, JPP block on Dallas ...can you imaging what that would have felt like? Take the points.. get ahead in the SB with a minute left..are you kidding? 100 % right</P>

6 of one, half dozen of the other.</P>

Do you feel more confident in Tynes making a conversion kick on 3rd down, or giving tom brady a time out and a minute to get a touchdown?</P>

hindsight says take the points, but any of hernendez, or either one of Branch's 2 passes being complete and you have yourself a much more tense situation.</P>

The part i was most suprised with was how unclutch tom was in the 4th.* </P>

there were plays out there for them to make, probably to win the game or come awfully close, and he flat out didn't make them.</P>

i honestly expected more from Tom Brady as an opponent.</P>

Just too many moving parts on FG with that much pressure. Brady was not "HOL" like last night and I would rather have the points and put it on Tuck and Co. to seal the deal.

Diamondring
02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Have some of you heard to play to win and play to not to lose? Well some coaches have that kind of strategy that make sure they don't make any mistakes to not to lose. I say play to win and that is what the Giants did.

TheBookOfEli
02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
TC knew they had to score a TD to win the game. He had faith in the defense.

Plus even though it was a chip shot, you never know what could go wrong. A botched snap could happen and would make weatherford have to run for his life.

Plus me personally, i would rather lose on a hail mary than a botched snap. Romo would agree.

BillTheGreek
02-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Have some of you heard to play to win and play to not to lose? Well some coaches have that kind of strategy that make sure they don't make any mistakes to not to lose. I say play to win and that is what the Giants did.

101% Right ( play to win ) I would rather see The Pat's go for aTD than a FG //// Rembers Murph's Law !

DandyDon
02-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Coughlin explained it---he said that anything can happen with a field goal attempt no matter how close it is.* I agree with him.*

Me 2. Imagine if Bradshaw sat down and we missed the FG.

I NEVER would have not scored the TD.

If you cant stop the other team from scoring a TD in 59 seconds, you dont deserver the SB trophy.

BlueBlooded1979
02-07-2012, 02:08 AM
That kick was too easy to simply trust Tynes to make it. Had it been 45 yards in windy conditions then it is money in the bank.

I thoroughly believe that taking the TD is the way to go. If a Defense with 3 Probowl pass rushers (and a veteran secondary) can't stop a TD in that situation they don't deserve to win.

The way NE can small ball though makes getting into FG range for them very possible.

bflo23
02-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Option 1: Score the TD (4 point lead)..... Easy GUARANTEE walk in TD rush, give Brady 57 seconds and 1 timeout to drive 80 yards to win.

Option 2: Down the ball and kick FG (1 point lead)...... Risk botch snap, hold, kick or block! NO GUARANTEE SCORE. Cundiff?! If score, give Brady 20 seconds and 0 timeouts to drive 45 yards to just to get in FG range for Patriots win. A fluky play and out of bounds and Patriots have a chance to kick FG. A pass interference also stops the clock.

I prefer option 1 because

1. The 35 extra yards... 2. Patriots don't have gamebreaker deep WR and Gronk is hobbling out there. The Pats are a dink and dunk team (short and mid range passes) all season. Brady only throws for 25% on passes over 21 yards... 3. The Giants defense hasn't let the Patriots score in the last 26 minutes and were doing well. Let Tuck, Osi and JPP attack and play plenty of defenders back. I felt confidence in the Giants defense.

BillTheGreek
02-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Does anyone know "Murphy's Law" Take the GUARANTEE Points, anything could go wrong .......bad snap.....bad kick.....

KillaRich
02-07-2012, 03:21 AM
I was completely happy he fell in the endzone ... Maybe burn some more time but still.... I know it's a chipshot but you never know..... What if tynes shanks it ..... What if pats blocks it.... What if we get a bad spot and have a romo like situation .... We forced them to have to get a td .... Maybe too much time but hey what can we do.... At the time I wanted him to stop but we won and it doesn't matter now

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Coughlin explained it---he said that anything can happen with a field goal attempt no matter how close it is. I agree with him.
</P>

Absolutely.....just ask Baltimore.</P>

Huge difference between needinga TD to win, v. a FG to win.</P>

</P>

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 03:26 AM
If the score is 17-17, then I can see kneeling down, and then attempting thefield goal.</P>

But trailing, with awide open endzone????......I wouldn't think twice.</P>

Just imagine if there was a bad snap, and a blocked kick....that would go down in history as the most controversial coaching decision in Super Bowl history.</P>

No thanks....very happy with how it worked out, and I totally felt that way when Brady got the ball back....he was pretty much dinking and dunking his way down the field....I figured he'd run out of time, unless he hit the big play...which he hadn't all game, because Fewell pretty much took it away with his coverage assignments.</P>

bansaw
02-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Coughlin had a "mea culpa" in an inteview with the NFL network where he said that he never told bradshaw to stop at the one. It was eli mentioning to him that he should down the ball at the one.</p>

Coughlin said not giving bradshaw a clear strategy there was 'on him' (meaning Coughlin).</p>

i really underestimate how tough being a HC is. Can you imagine having guys chirping at you constantly in your headphones, and you're trying to manage the clock, and you're making calls (2 points, go for it on 4th), and you're telling guys what their focus should be (watch for the onside, kick it OB dodge, stop at the one bradshaw).</p>

Yikes. i get to pause and contemplate all this stuff in madden.</p>later in the day it was Eli yelled at him as he handed it off to him...give a second for it to register and you're going too fast on bad(but great) ankles

frankb
02-07-2012, 07:36 AM
not a bad idea - Belly might be thinking about it now

(letting Nicks score - and giving Brady 2 mins and 2 TOs)

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM

Yes, but IMO worse can happen running the ball multiple times. Bad snaps, bad exchanges between QB and RB, and the Pats were trying to strip the ball on every play all game. We've even seen guys run into their own linemen and fumble, or the ball hits their own leg and they fumble. Don't even give them the chance.

What's the percentage of bad things happening on a running play versus how often something goes wrong on a field goal attempt, my gut says running plays are riskier. It's impossible to screw up a kneel-down.

Doesn't ANYBODY remember this???

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1120/nfl_a_pisarcik01_580.jpg

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
tom brady almost drove down the field?

REALLY???

Two sides to everything, but I prefered the TD and forcing the pats to score a TD, rather than giving brady 20 seconds and only needing a FG to win.

FGs/XPs are no sure thing, ever.

The clock was at 0:57 when the Giants got a first down inside the ten and the Pats had one time out.

1st down: kneel. Pats call time out, let's say the clock is at 0:54.

2nd down: kneel. Pats can't stop it. Let the clock run down to 0:14 and take the 5 yard delay of game.

3rd down: kneel and let the clock run down to 0:03 and call time out.

4th down: kick field goal.

And you act like running plays are a sure thing. See Pisarcik, Joe.

Oh and why didn't they run the ball here instead of kicking a field goal on THIRD DOWN? I thought FG attempts were too dangerous and running plays are gimmes?

http://cmsimg.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A2&amp;Date=20120123&amp;Category=SPORTS&amp;ArtNo= 201230317&amp;Ref=AR&amp;MaxW=640&amp;Border=0&amp;Giants-set-up-rematch-Patriots-Super-Bowl

Dorothy
02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Why did TC risk running the ball on our final TD drive? Bradshaw should have never had the chance to score. Eli could have just kneeled and had Tynes kick the xtra point sized FG, 18-17, no time left. Instead, AB gets the ball, and we risk a fumble, or we risk a score, as it played out, forcing us to put the ball in the hands of TOM FREAKIN' BRADY with a minute to go down the field, which he almost did. Yeah, yeah, I know, we won.But, now that the euphoria is wearing off, I'm starting to analyze more.....

Stop the freaking complaining, just enjoy the WIN

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Joe Pisarcik

chasjay
02-07-2012, 08:12 AM

I was all for the FG when we first got within decent range. But as we kept gaining yardage and the TD began to seem doable, my opinion shifted to wanting the TD. Make them score a TD - it's tougher than a FG.

OX1
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I think when you're losing a game, and you have an opportunity to take a lead with under a minute to play, you have to take it.</P>

EVERY time............ D wins championships. </P>

</P>

keyofgmen
02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Joe Pisarcik

Kneeling is one thing...stopping at 1 when a TD is GIVEN to you is another.

Oh and I can play this game...

Phillip Rivers!! HAHA!

foosball
02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
WE WON WHO CARES!

scoopscj
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I heard on one of the NFL shows that making a 20 yard field goal is about 90%. I also read on the cold hard football facts website that since 1991 there have been 105 attempts to score a TD with the final drive in under 1 minute and only 2 have succeeded and that's about a 2% chance to succeed. So..... Odds are better to make them score a TD than kicking a FG.

Now, I'm pretty sure TC didn't know these stats but at least there are stats to back this up.

Scoops

G-Man67
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Billy Cundiff, Matt Bryant, Scott Norwood, Trey Junkin ... i need to get all the names, but you get the point ... ideal situation is to score a TD, just with less time on clock

Giants869011
02-07-2012, 10:04 AM
+1 we won it's time to celebrate !

OX1
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
TD in under a minute is doable if you don't make one mistake. </P>

Ruttiger711
02-07-2012, 10:47 AM

</P>

Tynes'INDOOR field goals were just sneaking in the uprights. </P>

You take the points - you take the sure lead. </P>

</P>

Dover Giant
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I felt the same way when he scored and knowing Brady had 1 minute.
But man you have to admit that endorphine rush we got at the end was what being a Giants fan is all about.
Never easy but what a ride.

OX1
02-07-2012, 11:32 AM

</P>

Tynes'INDOOR field goals were just sneaking in the uprights. </P>

You take the points - you take the sure lead. </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Agreed. Just needed the pats to make one mistake or us force them into one msiatke and that eats up enough time they won't get there. </P>

Bing Crosby
02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
IDK why BB didn't have us run it on first down when it was a minute something and he had two time outs left. If that was what he was going to do. Just kind of surprising. I understand why he told his men to stand down on 2nd, but not why he didn't on 1st when we had to fight for a yard.

GameTime
02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Why did TC risk running the ball on our final TD drive? Bradshaw should have never had the chance to score. Eli could have just kneeled and had Tynes kick the xtra point sized FG, 18-17, no time left. Instead, AB gets the ball, and we risk a fumble, or we risk a score, as it played out, forcing us to put the ball in the hands of TOM FREAKIN' BRADY with a minute to go down the field, which he almost did. Yeah, yeah, I know, we won.But, now that the euphoria is wearing off, I'm starting to analyze more.....</P>

go hang with pica...he is all over this...</P>

if Tynes blows it or a bad snap your panties would be in huge bunch about that...</P>

stop already...</P>

it the SB....you are down by 2...you need points and you go up by 4.....</P>

sounds like a good option to me....</P>

chasjay
02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
IDK why BB didn't have us run it on first down when it was a minute something and he had two time outs left. If that was what he was going to do. Just kind of surprising. I understand why he told his men to stand down on 2nd, but not why he didn't on 1st when we had to fight for a yard.

Maybe willing to gamble that much time on the chance of stripping the ball out? Just a thought - maybe not realistic.

bflo23
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
The clock was at 0:57 when the Giants got a first down inside the ten and the Pats had one time out.

1st down: kneel. Pats call time out, let's say the clock is at 0:54.

2nd down: kneel. Pats can't stop it. Let the clock run down to 0:14 and take the 5 yard delay of game.

3rd down: kneel and let the clock run down to 0:03 and call time out.

4th down: kick field goal.

And you act like running plays are a sure thing. See Pisarcik, Joe.

Oh and why didn't they run the ball here instead of kicking a field goal on THIRD DOWN? I thought FG attempts were too dangerous and running plays are gimmes?

Your numbers are off.
<dl id="yui_3_4_1_1_1328633378907_95"><dd><span class="event">1st-10, NE18</span>
<span class="time">2:00</span>
<span class="play">A. Bradshaw rushed up the middle for 7 yard gain</span>
</dd><dd id="yui_3_4_1_1_1328633378907_94" class="odd">
<span class="event"> 2nd-3, NE11</span>
<span class="time">1:15</span>
<span id="yui_3_4_1_1_1328633378907_93" class="play">E. Manning passed to H. Nicks to the left for 4 yard gain</span>
</dd><dd>
<span class="event"> 1st-7, NE7</span>
<span class="time">1:09</span>
<span class="play">A. Bradshaw rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain</span>
</dd><dd class="odd">
<span class="event"> 2nd-6, NE6</span>
<span class="time">0:57</span>
<span class="play">A. Bradshaw rushed up the middle for 6 yard touchdown. 2pt attempt failed, D. Ware run to the right</span></dd></dl>

*Remember Bradshaw scored when it was :57 and that was a 2nd down play..... Brady got the ball with :57. The clock was DEFINITELY NOT at 0:57 when the Giants got a first down inside the ten. If Bradshaw flops on the 1 yard line, it makes it 3rd down and Pats use timeout.... Giants kneel at :55 and 35 seconds go by..... 4th down and :20 seconds left....... Kick FG..... Brady gets ball back with :18 seconds left and has to get in FG range.</p>

Belichick wasting a timeout on the Manningham catch was a terrible decision and really hurt the Patriots offense in the end.
</p>