PDA

View Full Version : What if plax didn't shoot himself?

NYtoSanDiego
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
i know some giants fans still resent plax because of the shooting when it seemed the giants who was 11-1 at the time was poised for a repeat. here's what i have to say, things happen for a reason. if plax doesn't shoot himself the giants may have won back to back and may have not retooled its receiving corp. in 2011 we would've had a much older and slower burress playing along side hixon, steve and mario but more important we probably don't draft hakeem in april of 09. ever since plax, toomer left after the 08 season (shockey 07), eli overall numbers have risen because he now had wr and te that were willing to work and understand the giants streak and read principle offense, instead of staying in Miami (plax/shockey) or go on month long vacations (toomer) where eli was left working with practice squad players. all of eli bad games early in his career was because his wr and te were not on the same page as the qb and its well documented, but he never called out any of wr and te for running the wrong routes in their site adjustment pass offense.

this is his team now and has been since 09 after all the old vets and cancers left. they're all young from nicks, mario, cruz, ballard, pascoe and beckhum and guess what terrel and jonthan comes back next year. they will contend the next 5 to 7 years if they're healthy and if reese keeps finding players to fill needs. where if burress didn't shoot himself they would've have had to find free agents or draft new players to start over around this time.

So yeah the night club incident may have cost a chance for a repeat but what it gave us instead was a chance to win more super bowls with this current group of players for the next 5 to 7 years.

repeatchamps
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
i know some giants fans still resent plax because of the shooting when it seemed the giants who was 11-1 at the time was poised for a repeat. here's what i have to say, things happen for a reason. if plax doesn't shoot himself the giants may have won back to back and may have not retooled its receiving corp. in 2011 we would've had a much older and slower burress playing along side hixon, steve and mario but more important we probably don't draft hakeem in april of 09. ever since plax, toomer left after the 08 season (shockey 07), eli overall numbers have risen because he now had wr and te that were willing to work and understand the giants streak and read principle offense, instead of staying in Miami (plax/shockey) or go on month long vacations (toomer) where eli was left working with practice squad players. all of eli bad games early in his career was because his wr and te were not on the same page as the qb and its well documented, but he never called out any of wr and te for running the wrong routes in their site adjustment pass offense. this is his team now and has been since 09 after all the old vets and cancers left. they're all young from nicks, mario, cruz, ballard, pascoe and beckhum and guess what terrel and jonthan comes back next year. they will contend the next 5 to 7 years if they're healthy and if reese keeps finding players to fill needs. where if burress didn't shoot himself they would've have had to find free agents or draft new players to start over around this time. So yeah the night club incident may have cost a chance for a repeat but what it gave us instead was a chance to win more super bowls with this current group of players for the next 5 to 7 years.</P>

This is one of the best persepectivesI have everread on this topic. It is refreshing and dead on accurate. Well stated and excellent post. I will add that Plaxico was not having a geat season up until the incident. His presence on the field was important but his output wasn't all that great from a receiving standpoint.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
what this year has taught me is having an awesome regular season record doesn't leave you posed to repeat.

Pakman
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Really don't want to say anything..because it sounds bad.

But I'm glad things worked out the way it did.

NYtoSanDiego
02-07-2012, 02:56 AM
ive always thought about the 08 season and the what ifs. yeah we were poised for a back to back run but after last night the giants are in a better place to win more than two now than then.

Easy-Duz-It
02-07-2012, 03:03 AM

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Without a doubt, this team is much tighter without Plax, Shockey and Barber undercutting what Coughlin was trying to instill in this team.</P>

I don't think it is a coincidence that Eli has taken a huge step forward as both a player and a leader, now that those ***-hatsare gone.</P>

bflo23
02-07-2012, 04:10 AM
I know Barber said bad things about the Giants and Eli after he left but Tiki Barber always gave 100% on the field. Tiki Barber was a beast in his career and could run and receive. Plax didn't give it his all in his career. Neither did Shockey and he whined a lot.

If the Giants don't win the last regular game in 2006, the Giants don't make the playoffs and Coughlin is fired. What did Tiki Barber do in that last regular season game vs Skins? He ran for 234 yards with 3 rushing TDs and 24 receiving yards. Giants win 34-28. Tiki Barber had 1662 rushing yards and like 500 receiving yards in his last season.

The Eli from 2004-2006 is nothing like the championship 2007-2012 Eli..... In his early career, he had lot of "me" guys like Shockey so maybe it effected his leadership skills. I think Eli grew into a leader once a couple of the other stars left and his skills improved compared to his first couple years as well. I don't think it is so crazy or insulting when Barber said he had some doubt about his leadership skills or that Toomer had to make acrobat catches. The early Eli (leadership and skill) is nothing like the Eli from 2007 and beyond. Not every QB just jumps in the NFL and throws 4,000 yards and +30 TDs right away. It takes a couple years for some to reach their potential.

M0rbid
02-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Nfl network should do documentary about this. LOL

UK-Giantsfan
02-07-2012, 05:34 AM
what is Hitler had not invaded Poland in 1939 ?

Bing Crosby
02-07-2012, 06:45 AM
If if's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. All I can say for sure is that Plax's life would of been easier had he not shot himself. I'm kind of surprised that "plaxing" isn't a real slang term.

"Man he plaxed himself there didn't he?" Just seems easier then saying "Man he shot himself in the foot there didn't he?"

That said I'll always have a soft spot for the boob because of SB42.

Firenugget
02-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Why do Plax and Barber continually haunt people's thoughts when we do well?

I don't care about Plax or any woulda, coulda, shoulda's regarding him. Sorry, I just don't.

NYtoSanDiego
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
I know Barber said bad things about the Giants and Eli after he left but Tiki Barber always gave 100% on the field. Tiki Barber was a beast in his career and could run and receive. Plax didn't give it his all in his career. Neither did Shockey and he whined a lot.

If the Giants don't win the last regular game in 2006, the Giants don't make the playoffs and Coughlin is fired. What did Tiki Barber do in that last regular season game vs Skins? He ran for 234 yards with 3 rushing TDs and 24 receiving yards. Giants win 34-28. Tiki Barber had 1662 rushing yards and like 500 receiving yards in his last season.

The Eli from 2004-2006 is nothing like the championship 2007-2012 Eli..... In his early career, he had lot of "me" guys like Shockey so maybe it effected his leadership skills. I think Eli grew into a leader once a couple of the other stars left and his skills improved compared to his first couple years as well. I don't think it is so crazy or insulting when Barber said he had some doubt about his leadership skills or that Toomer had to make acrobat catches. The early Eli (leadership and skill) is nothing like the Eli from 2007 and beyond. Not every QB just jumps in the NFL and throws 4,000 yards and +30 TDs right away. It takes a couple years for some to reach their potential.

well said and you had tons of great points and i was a huge fan of barber when he was playing. i've always said very few players transcend the "jersey". i'll use my sprewell analogy. when he played for golden state i could care less how he did but once he became a knick i watched him closely along with the other knicks, and when he played for the wolves i stoppped caring.

we saw a lot of moments from eli like the san diego game on 9/2005 and the broncos game also the same year to the week 2 game against the eagles in 06. the work ethic and the ability to play the game at high level was there early, its just he didn't have a whole lot of people around him that put in the same work as much as he did. i think since 09 when it finally became his team on offense, he finally had guys who were willing to work and we've heard storied about it these past two weeks leading to the super bowl.

we are finally seeing what happens when everyone from the wr and te are on the same page as he is. those weird throws of WTF was he thinking from 05-07 are long gone. there were moments during his really bad games when he dropped back to pass my feeling inside was, oh no! just don't throw a pick. i was feeling that a little in SB42, now he drops back to pass and i expect a completion.

again the point of my post, we are in much better position now which didn't seem like it in 08,09 and 10. for me and i know a lot of giants fans felt cheated that 08 season and winning on sunday lifted that big what if, because everything happens for a reason.