PDA

View Full Version : So who we drafting?

juice33s
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Right now I'm leaning towards the TE Fleener......just keep stacking the weapons for god ol Eli...Either that or a stud RT

Spizi
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Fleener is my pick. We will probably lose Manningham to free agency and TE is a huge need now so why not add a great pass receiving TE to compensate for the loss of Manningham?

Fleener seems to have the potential to be one of those elite receiving TEs, and with Cruz and Nicks being doubled on the outside he will be a matchup nightmare in the middle of the field.

juice33s
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Plus with Beckums torn ACL and Ballard being a FA (Though I expect him back), it makes TE that much more of a need for us

bubblesmcgee
02-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Imagine this offense with a TE like that? WOW that would be potent

juice33s
02-06-2012, 09:27 PM
LOL, awesome picture. Fleener really does look like a good one....Reminds me of Greg Olsen, but Fleener being superior in both Length and athleticism

bubblesmcgee
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
LOL, awesome picture. Fleener really does look like a good one....Reminds me of Greg Olsen, but Fleener being superior in both Length and athleticism

I cant take credit for the picture I found it in 08 shortly after SB 42 and I thought this is a perfect occasion to break it out again

Spizi
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Plus with Beckums torn ACL and Ballard being a FA (Though I expect him back), it makes TE that much more of a need for us

TE is our biggest need to me. We do not have a 2012 NFL TE on the roster. We have 1947 NFL TE's lol.

bLuereverie
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I've wanted Fleener for the longest. Was hoping for him midsecond round when I thought that's where we'd be picking, but now, not minding him at end of the first.

While Fleener's my ideal choice, if Mike Adams falls to 32, you can't say no.

Neverend
02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally, I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen. Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Hey, since Manningham might be gone... I wouldn't put it past the giants towards drafting a receiver? Since we do have a history of BPA, it wouldn't shock me if Alshon Jeffery or Sanu drops to 32 and the giants pick either

juice33s
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I've wanted Fleener for the longest. Was hoping for him midsecond round when I thought that's where we'd be picking, but now, not minding him at end of the first.

While Fleener's my ideal choice, if Mike Adams falls to 32, you can't say no.
I'm not too high on Adams. Supposedly he struggles with speed rushers to go along with his character concerns and relatively short arm length (33 1/4). For reference tyron Smith had 36 3/8 inch arms

juice33s
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally, I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen. Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Hey, since Manningham might be gone... I wouldn't put it past the giants towards drafting a receiver? Since we do have a history of BPA, it wouldn't shock me if Alshon Jeffery or Sanu drops to 32 and the giants pick either
I'm not as high on Allen as most seem to be. To me he seems like a rather ordinary athlete and not the real stretch the field guy that teams look for in an early round TE. Personally I have Fleener and Orson Charles above him.

As for Sanu, he does look sick, but with Nicks and Cruz in the fold i just don't see WR as a 1st round priority. Only so many balls to go around

juice33s
02-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally,<font size="5"> I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen.</font> Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Also imo Fleener's hand strength and body control are superior to Allens (Body control by a landslide).

For an example of hand strenght did you see his one handed grab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eAaWcaRiU

XxBigWhitxX
02-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I say we go O-line. Peter Konz at C is my favorite at the spot. I could also see Cordy Glenn as our next RT. Other names to watch:

Chase Minniefield

Alphonso Dennard

Vontaze Burfict

Alshon Jeffery

Dwayne Allen

Johnathin Martin

Whitney Mercilus

Nick Perry

Mohamed Sanu.

Neverend
02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally,<font size="5"> I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen.</font> Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Also imo Fleener's hand strength and body control are superior to Allens (Body control by a landslide).

For an example of hand strenght did you see his one handed grab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eAaWcaRiU

Hm, thats a great play to back up your opinion. Still, ive seen some stanford games this year where they've tried to throw jump balls in the red zone for Fleener and he didn't display the type of elite hand strength/body contorting skills to make a catch with a DB all over him. Allen may not be the type of route runner Fleener is nor does he have his speed, but he has shown more often to make plays by plucking the ball out of his frame in traffic and against tight man coverage as oppose to Fleener who makes his plays by getting wide open separation (credit to him, obviously)

critters
02-07-2012, 09:38 AM
My dream scenario would be to go after Dont'a Hightower with our first pick if he's still available.... then somehow land Jermichael Finley. What I think will actually happen though is the Steelers or Ravens will take Hightower and we'll go after Allen or Fleener. If we pass on Fleener and go TE in the 2nd, I'd be REALLY happy with Orson Charles. He doesn't have the size that Fleener has but he can make plays with his quickness and athleticism... and he can make plays after the catch.

bafzel
02-07-2012, 02:43 PM
After this year I think that more and more teams will look for a good TE to add to their offense and I wouldn't be too surprised if a team grabs a TE in the 20-30 range. If that is Allen or Fleener i can't say but I don't think that both will be available when it's Giants time to pick.

I wouldn't mind a TE but i'd rather go adding to the OL. Eli got hit a lot this season and our running game was really bad. Imagine Eli with a tad more time to make decisions and add a better running game to that. Now that could be a new Super Bowl team!

With that said, OL is the way to go.

BlueSanta
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Too early to say really.

As it stands now we have no TEs on the roster for starting day next year and we could lose Manningham to FA as well.

That would leave a huge hole in both the passing game and the running game.

If we resign Pascoe and Ballard the need at the TE position drops significantly, but it is still a need. It just drop the need from a major priority to a secondary depth need. A guy like Egnew could help fill the role of Beckum and Manningham as a outside guy and we could get in later in the draft(barring an insane combine.)

If we resign 1 of the 2, it is still a pretty significant need position unless we sign some other FA.

And of course if somebody offers them both outlandish contracts and we cant bring them back, it becomes THE primary need.

So, it all depends on what happens in FA. We dont have a lot of money to throw around, but we are the SB champs and people like to play for winners. So, lets see how it goes.

I do think addressing our aging Oline is a huge need as well. Those 2 positions are my core concerns right now, with a few others falling in line behind them.

critters
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I won't complain if we go OL early, but I think there are some guys that we could get late that have some great potential. Senio Kelemete and James Brown are some 3rd-4th round guys I like and Marcus Zusevics is a later round guy that has A LOT of potential. Very athletic, great feet, smart player but needs to add strength. Brandon Washington' stock has dropped this year but he'd be an great guard that we could get in a middle round. Antoine McClain &amp; Blake DeChristopher could be decent options in the later rounds.

slipknottin
02-07-2012, 04:58 PM
If we resign Pascoe and Ballard the need at the TE position drops significantly, but it is still a need.

Ballard also tore his ACL in the superbowl.

Neither will be ready for next season.

Only TE on the roster is UFA Pascoe.

BlueSanta
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
If we resign Pascoe and Ballard the need at the TE position drops significantly, but it is still a need.

Ballard also tore his ACL in the superbowl.

Neither will be ready for next season.

Only TE on the roster is UFA Pascoe.

Ahh...I hadnt read the update. I severely doubted it was just a sprain though.Thats sad to hear for him. I hope his well earned big fat ring keeps his spirits up.

juice33s
02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Lets narrow it down a little. Who are you taking?
A. TE Coby Fleener
B. TE Dwayne Allen
C. OT Mike Adams
D. OT Cordy Glenn
E. CB Chase Minnifield
F. LB Vontaze Burfict
G. Other

Raptor22
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
A. TE Coby Fleener
B. TE Dwayne Allen
C. OT Mike Adams
D. OT Cordy Glenn
E. CB Stephon Gilmore
F. LB Vontaze Burfict
G. Other

Excluding 'G', I vote Fleener. Pascoe can play blocking TE while Fleener receives or blocks down field following a pull/trap.

I'm not crazy about taking an O lineman in the first unless the value is stellar (there's usually better lineman value later on in the draft)

I can't pick G unless I know who else is on the board, or what how guys tested at the combine.

Raptor22
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
A. TE Coby Fleener
B. TE Dwayne Allen
C. OT Mike Adams
D. OT Cordy Glenn
E. CB Stephon Gilmore
F. LB Vontaze Burfict
G. Other

Excluding 'G', I vote Fleener. Pascoe can play blocking TE while Fleener receives or blocks down field following a pull/trap.

I'm not crazy about taking an O lineman in the first unless the value is stellar (there's usually better lineman value later on in the draft)

I can't pick G unless I know who else is on the board, or what how guys tested at the combine.

juice33s
02-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Let me also switch out Gilmore for Minnifield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPtX8DYwOZI).....I like this guy, he plays real rangy and physical

bLuereverie
02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
A. TE Coby Fleener
B. TE Dwayne Allen
C. OT Mike Adams
D. OT Cordy Glenn
E. CB Chase Minnifield
F. LB Vontaze Burfict
G. Other

In order of who I'd pick

Adams
Fleener
Allen
Glenn

I don't consider Minnifield, Burfict first round/early second round talents at 32. Gilmore 's value will lie in a team that primarily runs zone.

tonyt830
02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
I say we go O-line. Peter Konz at C is my favorite at the spot. I could also see Cordy Glenn as our next RT. Other names to watch:

Chase Minniefield

Alphonso Dennard

Vontaze Burfict

Alshon Jeffery

Dwayne Allen

Johnathin Martin

Whitney Mercilus

Nick Perry

Mohamed Sanu.I too am a fan of Konz as a late 1st rd pick. But Allen or Fleener would be a close second for me as well.

BlueSanta
02-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Alphonso Dennard

Plz no. He had such a bad senior bowl practice week that some teams may have removed him completely off their draft boards. A corner who can only make plays in front of him because his hips are too tight to turn is not something I want on this team.

He is a guy who stock is way down after that week.

BigBlue2010
02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Reese has been very consistent in how he drafts and acquires TE's.
Boss - 6th rd
Beckum 3rd rd
Pascoe 6th rd and cut by 49ers
Ballard undrafted and practice squad

At this point I don't see him suddenly waking up and saying "I've been wrong, I should draft a TE in the first round." I am not saying this because of how I feel about the guys being mentioned or even because of how I feel about Reese's drafting. Its purely an observation.

Toadofsteel
02-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Three things we need:

1) A new O-line
2) A new freight train-style running back a la Jacobs, but younger. (bonus if he can pick up blitzes like a boss)
3) Not from the draft, but we need to develop Dominek Hixon, Devin Thomas, and Jerrel Jernigan in-house. If we can get another wideout of at least Manningham quality from one of those, we'll be set in WR. If we can get a wideout and another slot receiver, we could even put out some 4 WR sets and the need for a receiving TE wouldn't be as drastic.

Visionary1
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Im trying to gain some kelechi osemele awareness. this guy is a stud on the o-line. People need to know.
6'6'' 350 JPP of the Oline

Fleener
Hightower
Burfict
Barron
Miller
Jeffrey

all on my list.

bLuereverie
02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Reese has been very consistent in how he drafts and acquires TE's.
Boss - 6th rd
Beckum 3rd rd
Pascoe 6th rd and cut by 49ers
Ballard undrafted and practice squad

At this point I don't see him suddenly waking up and saying "I've been wrong, I should draft a TE in the first round." I am not saying this because of how I feel about the guys being mentioned or even because of how I feel about Reese's drafting. Its purely an observation.

That's purely circumstantial with their respective years. Giants drafted a TE in the first before.

TheBookOfEli
02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
If we don't resign Goff, i would love to draft Vontaze Burfict. That kid is possessed with demons but he is an incredible player.

Or go for Lamar Miller from Miami if we let Jacobs go.

lavar2
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Top 5 Prospects for the first round:

1) Cordy Glenn- Guy is huge and an absolute beast who can play both guard and right tackle (we need both).

2) Dontari Poe- Man is 6 ft 5 and weighs 355 lbs. Imagine him next to Linval in a few years?

3) Mark Barron- Big, athletic SS who could replace Grant as soon as next year as our third safety.

4) Lamar Miller- Stud running back with size. Goodbye Jacobs.

5) Vontaze Burfict- Guy is a freak of nature and although has some mental issues on the field, he could be great if we ever straightened him out.