PDA

View Full Version : Some acceptance and seething hatred still in San Diego (link)

scoopscj
02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
In a thread called "Archie was right." (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=92784) is some interesting perspective and reading on San Diego fan's woes. I'm not much into misery of others but it is interesting on their take on the team in general and the fact that most think Archie was indeed correct in forcing a trade to the Giants.

Others... are still very very bitter and angry. Enjoy for what it's worth.

Scoops

TuckYou
02-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I went to SD last summer. They were very happy with the trade. Wonder how they feel now.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
i've read that a couple times.

i get it fans being bitter about eli never coming to SD.

but he's clearly made the right decision, and the thought that he should have sacrificed what he's been able to achieve here in NY for the sake of 'honour' or whatever self serving reason they give is bunk.

and the repeated idea that eli came here for endorsement contracts? Really?

He came here because the ownership in SD has a bad rep, and as already confirmed in a number of sources, the ownership in NY is considered the crown jewel of the NFL.

Zaggs
02-06-2012, 11:51 PM
In a thread called "Archie was right." (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=92784) is some interesting perspective and reading on San Diego fan's woes. I'm not much into misery of others but it is interesting on their take on the team in general and the fact that most think Archie was indeed correct in forcing a trade to the Giants.

Others... are still very very bitter and angry. Enjoy for what it's worth.

Scoops

Well with the way they rubbed our noses in the trade for Eli's first 3 years, they deserve as much misery as they can get. They might have been able to make an argument after Eli's first SB they still edged out a win on the trade. But after two? Please. Right now Rivers would be lucky to be a footnote at Eli's induction into the Hall of Fame.

GiantWarfare
02-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Most of those Chargers fans are babies...

whining because Eli didnt wanna play for them.

I thought they were happier w/ Rivers? I thought we were the ones that got fleeced in the trade?

No point in complaining about "priniciple" if you think your guy is much better.

Now that Eli's got 2 rings and Rivers hasn't sniffed a SB appearance, Merriman is gone, Kading is gone, Oben is gone...now its unfair that Eli came here, and they're all crying like a buncha babies...

Man up and move on...

"Wah...I'll never forgive the Mannings...wah..."

Please..

BTW I always get a good chuckle when I hear Eli and egomaniac in the same sentence...

scoopscj
02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
I read the entire thread, all 11 pages.

Basically many believe Eli is an ego maniac, not very good, and a product of the Giants "system". They believe defense is the only reason the Giants won and that the Giants would have more than 2 rings if Phillip Rivers was our QB.

There's more but I'll leave that up to you all. It's worth 15 minutes of reading. I was smiling the entire time.

Am I evil?

/cackle

Scoops

radar-ray
02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Some of the posters on this board whined as much as the SD babies for years about the trade, and Eli!!!

Zaggs
02-07-2012, 12:19 AM
I read the entire thread, all 11 pages.

Basically many believe Eli is an ego maniac, not very good, and a product of the Giants "system". They believe defense is the only reason the Giants won and that the Giants would have more than 2 rings if Phillip Rivers was our QB.

There's more but I'll leave that up to you all. It's worth 15 minutes of reading. I was smiling the entire time.

Am I evil?

/cackle

Scoops

Yeah, Eli, an ego maniac. Dude takes all the blame and none of the credit. Delusional over there on the other coast.

DragonSoul
02-07-2012, 12:20 AM
In a thread called "Archie was right." (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=92784) is some interesting perspective and reading on San Diego fan's woes.* I'm not much into misery of others but it is interesting on their take on the team in general and the fact that most think Archie was indeed correct in forcing a trade to the Giants.

Others... are still very very bitter and angry.* Enjoy for what it's worth.

Scoops

It was all because of AJ Smith. He wanted Rivers with Shotty. Mannings got wind of it, wanted out but to save face SD tried 2 take a hard stance after the leaf problem.

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Archie Manning had a very good read on AJ Smith; namely, he's a d-bag.</P>

Smith proved it right off the bat....Archie wanted to talk about the draft - and a potential trade -privately, in orderto avoid any embarrassment for anyone.</P>

But instead,Smith went running to the media like a high school chick.</P>

After that, it was a burnt bridge between Archie and AJ, and the rest is history.</P>

Snappinnecks
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I have my own version of this story I'd like to tell and I'm still surprised NOBODY mentions this!

Part 1:
Back before the draft in 2004 Mel Kiper came on ESPN to do a report on the Senior Bowl practices. He said that the Marty Schottenheimer, who was coaching the team Phillip Rivers was on, loves Rivers and has told A.J. Smith that he wants him instead of Manning.

Part 2:
Kiper comes on ESPN again at the end of the Senior Bowl and says that A.J. Smith may draft Manning anyway just to trade him away and still pick up Rivers since he's not rated as high as Manning. Eli, his dad, and Eli's agent got wind of this and were not pleased.

Eli and Archie HAD NOTHING against the organization and it had everything to do with A.J. Smith using Eli as a pawn rather than valuing him as a franchise quarterback. The Giants wanted him and nobody else and that's why they wanted to come here!

I just wanted to tell that story and see if anyone remembers these reports back in 2004. I just love how A.J. Smith tried to turn this around to make Eli look bad.

Zaggs
02-07-2012, 12:34 AM
I have my own version of this story I'd like to tell and I'm still surprised NOBODY mentions this!

Part 1:
Back before the draft in 2004 Mel Kiper came on ESPN to do a report on the Senior Bowl practices. He said that the Marty Schottenheimer, who was coaching the team Phillip Rivers was on, loves Rivers and has told A.J. Smith that he wants him instead of Manning.

Part 2:
Kiper comes on ESPN again at the end of the Senior Bowl and says that A.J. Smith may draft Manning anyway just to trade him away and still pick up Rivers since he's not rated as high as Manning. Eli, his dad, and Eli's agent got wind of this and were not pleased.

Eli and Archie HAD NOTHING against the organization and it had everything to do with A.J. Smith using Eli as a pawn rather than valuing him as a franchise quarterback. The Giants wanted him and nobody else and that's why they wanted to come here!

I just wanted to tell that story and see if anyone remembers these reports back in 2004. I just love how A.J. Smith tried to turn this around to make Eli look bad.

Eh, you're probably right. But I like thinking Eli knew he had a better shot in New York than in San Diego.

DandyDon
02-07-2012, 01:36 AM
In a thread called "Archie was right." (http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=92784) is some interesting perspective and reading on San Diego fan's woes.* I'm not much into misery of others but it is interesting on their take on the team in general and the fact that most think Archie was indeed correct in forcing a trade to the Giants.

Others... are still very very bitter and angry.* Enjoy for what it's worth.

Scoops

Well with the way they rubbed our noses in the trade for Eli's first 3 years, they deserve as much misery as they can get.* They might have been able to make an argument after Eli's first SB they still edged out a win on the trade.* But after two?* Please.* Right now Rivers would be lucky to be a footnote at Eli's induction into the Hall of Fame.

Rivers = choker + classless

Eli = clutch + all class

I dont blame them for being bitter. But who wants to play for San Diego? They never have (and prolly never will) win anything. Archie is no fool.

DragonSoul
02-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Part 1:

Part 2:

I just wanted to tell that story and see if anyone remembers these reports back in 2004. I just love how A.J. Smith tried to turn this around to make Eli look bad.Thats what I said, but I didn't add the kiper part lol. So tired of this story to, cause ppl just repeat what they hear instead of research it.

Pakman
02-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Most of those Chargers fans are babies...

whining because Eli didnt wanna play for them.

I thought they were happier w/ Rivers? I thought we were the ones that got fleeced in the trade?

No point in complaining about "priniciple" if you think your guy is much better.

Now that Eli's got 2 rings and Rivers hasn't sniffed a SB appearance, Merriman is gone, Kading is gone, Oben is gone...now its unfair that Eli came here, and they're all crying like a buncha babies...

Man up and move on...

"Wah...I'll never forgive the Mannings...wah..."

Please..

BTW I always get a good chuckle when I hear Eli and egomaniac in the same sentence...

Very good point. They are happy with Rivers yet mad with Eli not wanting to be there.

I guess it stems from the fact that it embarrassed their organization.

I am glad the trade happened. Rivers would not survive the media market or the defenses we play on a regular basis.

Say what you want but he plays in one of the worst divisions in football. They start off bad every year.

If i had to choose the top 3 again

Manning
Big Ben
Rivers

You know what...this is pointless. I'm just going to post it because i wasted like 3 minutes typing this.

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Here's the original story - leaked by AJ Smith - regarding Archie Manning and Eli not wanting to play in San Diego.</P>

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20040422-9999-1s22chargers.html</P>

"He told me that Archie wishes that we do not select Eli and that they think he would be a good fit in New York (with the Giants)," said Smith. "We understand his position and certainly understand his interest in New York, but we will do what we think is the best for the franchise, without a doubt . . . </P>

wrek537emc
02-07-2012, 02:20 AM
my point is... Rivers plays in a soft division in great weather....anyways... our D and Oline would have gang tackled Cry Me A Rivers if he ever started throwing one of his tantrums in NY. no way a hot head like rivers would have survived the NY media.... eli is clutch in the 4th qtr...and won us a lot of games this year...regardless of Eli's late-game heroics, its a team effort... n thats why our TEAM won the Superbowl.... its not me me me, but team team TEAM! Everyone played their part in this win...even the punter. Team Effort. sorry SD!

wrek537emc
02-07-2012, 02:22 AM
i can only imagine what the huddle would have been like with rivers, tiki, and shockey.... ???,.... discuss.

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 02:27 AM
I don't blame Eli and Archie at all. If I were the expected # 1 pick in the draft, I'd force a trade (ala Elway and Eli) from an organization that I didn't feel comfortable with. Why shouldn't I have a saying in where I work?

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 02:28 AM
i can only imagine what the huddle would have been like with rivers, tiki, and shockey.... ???,.... discuss.
Thank God we have Eli. I don't like Rivers' antics -- he's always screaming too much. And there is no way that I could have rooted for Rothlisberger after two rape accusations. I would have wanted him off of the team.

Bleu
02-07-2012, 02:32 AM
The hypocrisy of SD fans and even some on these boards is hilarious. Literally, at the start of THIS season some were still referring to the trade as the biggest heist at the Giants expense in NFL history.*

It's such a nonfactor to me anymore because Eli has done so much more with players moving in and out of the offensive lineup than Rivers has even come close to its not even funny. And STILL he couldn't even make it to the SB once. And this year without Peyton and the Colts being a factor and a mediocre AFC Tim Tebow represented his division. It's no longer a contest on either front...on the field and in the front office, the Giants won. Debate is over. Rivers isn't in Eli's class and the Giants spent a lot and gained even more.

Bleu
02-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Thank God we have Eli. I don't like Rivers' antics -- he's always screaming too much. And there is no way that I could have rooted for Rothlisberger after two rape accusations. I would have wanted him off of the team.

Neither of which even come close to resembling what it takes to being a New York Giant.

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I see they are still harping on "endorsements" but am I such a homer here, I don't think Eli does that much. What, Citizen Ecodrive and some local market Toyota commercials? I don't perceive Eli making that much from endorsements.

Firenugget
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
screw em.