PDA

View Full Version : Defense still wasn't up to snuff

gfanblue
02-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Glad they won. Big time game that was a nail biter all the way. But Fewell and the gang got some very fortunate breaks. The Welker drop. Hernandez dropping some. Branch too. The soft zones and lack of any kind of jam at the line was killing me. Nobody should EVER pick up a 4th & 16. period. I realize you can't give up the deep ball. But the pass rush sucked. And, the coverage was mediocre at best. Again, winning is great, even if it's ugly.................

MikeIsaGiant
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
We need work on the defense, that's why we have the offseason.

Currently enjoying the SB win.

gfanblue
02-07-2012, 12:36 AM
We need work on the defense, that's why we have the offseason.

Currently enjoying the SB win.No doubt. With T2, Goff and others coming off injuries. We will be a force.

bansaw
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
not sure if serious....

those guys gave it all, laid the wood every chance they could every tackle...all 11 of them.

so proud of that Defense, the same Defense I waved my hand at after Green Bay and passed them off as soft no heart.

Well they shut me up

GIANTS !!!

GMen869007
02-07-2012, 12:53 AM
We caught some breaks, as most champions do, and while we didn't get the pressure that we thought would be needed to win, the coverage down field was pretty damn good. We let them dink and dunk and it got a little scary, but we held them to 17 points. Pretty impressive.

GmenFan1980
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/8/29/128645277717050194.jpg

gfanblue
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
We caught some breaks, as most champions do, and while we didn't get the pressure that we thought would be needed to win, the coverage down field was pretty damn good. We let them dink and dunk and it got a little scary, but we held them to 17 points. Pretty impressive.
True, although in reality THEY held themselves to 17 points. The drops were huge for us. Glad we won. I guess I was hoping for more pressure on Brady. He had ALL DAY to throw.

Harooni
02-07-2012, 01:05 AM
not sure if serious....

those guys gave it all, laid the wood every chance they could every tackle...all 11 of them.

so proud of that Defense, the same Defense I waved my hand at after Green Bay and passed them off as soft no heart.

Well they shut me up

GIANTS !!!

well said banny

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 01:13 AM
The Giants D played great in only letting up 17 points to the Pats. You can't shut down every play -- this is the Pats we're talking about; not the 49ers.

The great thing about winning this SB is that there is still definite room for improvement on D. It's almost scary how good they can be.

Hopefully we won't lose Osi and can build off of what we currently have.

GMen869007
02-07-2012, 01:19 AM
True, although in reality THEY held themselves to 17 points. The drops were huge for us. Glad we won. I guess I was hoping for more pressure on Brady. He had ALL DAY to throw.

Yeah, that argument could be made, like I said, we caught some breaks, but the argument could also be made that we held ourselves to 21 points because we had the ball in Patriots territory on every drive but 1, and very well could've scored quite a few more if not for some costly penalties and miscues.

M0rbid
02-07-2012, 01:44 AM
It doesn't matter how good your D-line is when they're max protecting with short passing plays and they got away with holding penalties. Can anyone tell me when was the last time opponent's O-line got called for holding penalty?

bansaw
02-07-2012, 02:00 AM
not sure if serious....

Well they shut me up

GIANTS !!!

well said banny
OUT OF NOWHERE THE NEW YORK GIANTS

[B][B]

bansaw
02-07-2012, 02:02 AM
It doesn't matter how good your D-line is when they're max protecting with short passing plays and they got away with holding penalties. Can anyone tell me when was the last time opponent's O-line got called for holding penalty?
IT WAS DRIVING ME TO DRINK

then you hear Collingsworth spouting off, He's Got All day to throw and you see at least 3 muggings going on. It was ridiculous but they OVERCAME

GIANTS !!!

Harooni
02-07-2012, 02:04 AM
not sure if serious....

Well they shut me up

GIANTS !!!

well said banny
OUT OF NOWHERE THE NEW YORK GIANTS

[B][B]

[D] I think OP needs to understand it was Brady out there not matt ryan. The D held their own and bent a few times . maybe not the sacks but both teams were playing not to give up the big play.

bgblucru5656
02-07-2012, 02:07 AM
they were up to snuff enough to hold brady, rodgers and smith under 20 pts per game in the playoffs

stormblue
02-07-2012, 02:20 AM

then you hear Collingsworth spouting off, He's Got All day to throw and you see at least 3 muggings going on. It was ridiculous but they OVERCAME

GIANTS !!!

but they nailed us for holding when fatso fell down.

bansaw
02-07-2012, 02:21 AM

GIANTS !!!

but they nailed us for holding when fatso fell down.ya that was a veteran move by wilfork

Toadofsteel
02-07-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm still not sold on Perry Fewell. He was the only person I wanted gone when the giants were 7-7. I wanted to keep Coughlin and the entire roster as-is, but even now there's something about Perry that is nagging at the back of my mind. He's brilliant at what he does, but he's not an exact fit for what the Giants really are.

The thing is about Perry, he's much more obsessed in the back end of the defense. Maybe on another team he could really shine, but the Giants defense has always been about getting after the QB. The Pats came in with the right idea to counter strong pass rush (fast short passes), but still the front 4 need to give their all on pressure or someone of Brady's caliber will have a field day on you.

I admit, even in the face of this win, I want Spags back. Or, at the very least, someone like him. Perry has some brilliant cover schemes. But what Spags lacked in that kind of finesse he more than made up for in his ability to just pound away at an o-line and dismantle it. You think the Saints were a threat this season, they're going to be nigh unstoppable in 2012.

As a final thought, I'd just like to say: PLEASE sign Strahan as a D-line coach. Even though his playing days are over, he still has the intelligence, discipline, knowledge of the position, commitment to the giants organization, and determination to be excellent in that role. He showed up in practice the week before the regular season green bay game, and helped turn a team that got completely blown away by the saints into a team with confidence and breathed new life into the team. And we now know where that took us.

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 03:19 AM
We need work on the defense, that's why we have the offseason. Currently enjoying the SB win.No doubt. With T2, Goff and others coming off injuries. We will be a force.</P>

I'll admit, midway through this season, I was very critical of Fewell....but, I'll give the guy credit for getting it done with a very banged up group.</P>

bansaw
02-07-2012, 03:20 AM
I'm still not sold on Perry Fewell. He was the only person I wanted gone when the giants were 7-7. I wanted to keep Coughlin and the entire roster as-is, but even now there's something about Perry that is nagging at the back of my mind. He's brilliant at what he does, but he's not an exact fit for what the Giants really are.

The thing is about Perry, he's much more obsessed in the back end of the defense. Maybe on another team he could really shine, but the Giants defense has always been about getting after the QB. The Pats came in with the right idea to counter strong pass rush (fast short passes), but still the front 4 need to give their all on pressure or someone of Brady's caliber will have a field day on you.

I admit, even in the face of this win, I want Spags back. Or, at the very least, someone like him. Perry has some brilliant cover schemes. But what Spags lacked in that kind of finesse he more than made up for in his ability to just pound away at an o-line and dismantle it. You think the Saints were a threat this season, they're going to be nigh unstoppable in 2012.

As a final thought, I'd just like to say: PLEASE sign Strahan as a D-line coach. Even though his playing days are over, he still has the intelligence, discipline, knowledge of the position, commitment to the giants organization, and determination to be excellent in that role. He showed up in practice the week before the regular season green bay game, and helped turn a team that got completely blown away by the saints into a team with confidence and breathed new life into the team. And we now know where that took us.
I read the first sentence and I still kinda feel the same

but...

we gotta give them at least a week before we criticize imo

Toadofsteel
02-07-2012, 03:30 AM

but...

we gotta* give them at least a week before we criticize imo

I'm not criticizing what Perry does, I'm just saying that what he does might be better suited for a team that has heavy coverage in its identity, as opposed to the Big Blue Wrecking Crew approach of knock down the QB and the rest of the offense collapses in a domino effect..

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Glad they won. Big time game that was a nail biter all the way. But Fewell and the gang got some very fortunate breaks. The Welker drop. Hernandez dropping some. Branch too. The soft zones and lack of any kind of jam at the line was killing me. Nobody should EVER pick up a 4th &amp; 16. period. I realize you can't give up the deep ball. But the pass rush sucked. And, the coverage was mediocre at best. Again, winning is great, even if it's ugly.................</P>

</P>

Keep in mind...the Giants haven't played a mediocre team in the last two months.....every team we've faced has had either an explosive offense, or in the 49ers case, a discliplined offense.</P>

Fewell has contained some sick teams....he deserves a ton of credit.</P>

bansaw
02-07-2012, 03:34 AM

but...

we gotta give them at least a week before we criticize imo

I'm not criticizing what Perry does, I'm just saying that what he does might be better suited for a team that has heavy coverage in its identity, as opposed to the Big Blue Wrecking Crew approach of knock down the QB and the rest of the offense collapses in a domino effect..all good I didnt read it

I'll bookmark it and read it in a week [;)]

calzonesays
02-07-2012, 03:37 AM
They were fine if you ask me. They held some prolific offenses well below their averages in the playoffs. Bend but don't break baby!

titwio
02-07-2012, 07:28 AM
No doubt. With T2, Goff and others coming off injuries. We will be a force.

Wait till they get Marvin Austin going too...Probably the most gifted interior pass rusher they have on the roster.

NWKEffectElement
02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Glad they won. Big time game that was a nail biter all the way. But Fewell and the gang got some very fortunate breaks. The Welker drop. Hernandez dropping some. Branch too. The soft zones and lack of any kind of jam at the line was killing me. Nobody should EVER pick up a 4th & 16. period. I realize you can't give up the deep ball. But the pass rush sucked. And, the coverage was mediocre at best. Again, winning is great, even if it's ugly.................</P>

*</P>

Keep in mind...the Giants haven't played a mediocre team in the last two months.....every team we've faced has had either an explosive offense, or in the 49ers case, a discliplined offense.</P>

Those of us with some type of sense have given him tons of credit. Only fools or those who have a serious grudge against him would critize the man after leading this defensive M.A.S.H. unit to a freaking SB victory. Given the rule changes, there will never be a 86 Giants, 90 Giants, 85 Bears, 70's Steelers, or even a 00 Ravens. It may be too difficult of a concept for spoiled bandwagon fans to understand.

OX1
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
</P>

Almost wonder under the new NFL how much really good pash rushers will matter in the future since they can be held all day long with no flags. </P>

</P>

Dover Giant
02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Ya got a point on the lack of pressure.
Still you have to play to the end of the game and it's almost immpossible to go 110% the whole game.
When it came to crunch time the D answered the bell and rung Brady's

Dover Giant
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Right
Twice I saw blatent holding right in front of an official. I mean damn they taclked the pass rusher but I guess as long as their NFL baby (brady) don't get his hair mussed it's ok.

barran21
02-07-2012, 10:46 AM
All those injuries and we won the SB yet it's not good enough for you, lol lol...

CDN_G-FAN
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Glad they won. Big time game that was a nail biter all the way. But Fewell and the gang got some very fortunate breaks. The Welker drop. Hernandez dropping some. Branch too. The soft zones and lack of any kind of jam at the line was killing me. Nobody should EVER pick up a 4th &amp; 16. period. I realize you can't give up the deep ball. But the pass rush sucked. And, the coverage was mediocre at best. Again, winning is great, even if it's ugly.................</P>

</P>

let me guess. you were one of the fans that thought we were going to blow out the Pats and the game wasn't going to be close?</P>

No one, and i mean NO ONE, can argue with Fewell's gameplan.</P>

Brady and his receivers needed to be perfect in this game to win, and they weren't.</P>

This game plan was excellent. Collingsworth kept on commenting on the fact that we kept LBers in there instead of our dime package and those TEs were going to exploit us, and other than a couple big drives they never really did, and we stopped the Pats from balancing theiroffense with a running game by keeping those LBers in there.</P>

How can you say the coverage was mediocreAND the pass rush sucked. If both of those were true, we lose, and lose BIG in that game.</P>

Kruunch
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm not crazy about Fewell's scheme. I don't like reactive bend-don't-break defenses. I much prefer aggressive defenses that make offenses have to adjust to THEM.

Having said that, Fewell's scheme finally panned out. As much as I wanted him gone and I killed him for the poor defense throughout most of the season, I do have to give him props for putting up a defense that held at the most important times during the season and postseason.

I believe his scheme was VERY aided by the fact that refs call very few penalties during the post season and further aided by some of our guys getting healthy (Osi and Boley specifically).

But I have to give him props for adjusting and simplifying his defense (finally) when he realized that the players weren't getting it.

If I'm going to kill him for the bad things he's done, it's only fair that he gets props for the good things. And in the end he was responsible for a Super Bowl winning defense.

(but I don't have to like the scheme)

Raptor22
02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Nobody can take ANYTHING away from this defense's playoff (starting week 16) run.

In the Falcons, Packers, and Patriots, they faced 3 of the top scoring offenses in the league. They were 7th, 1st, and 3rd (respectively) in scoring.

Corrected for sloppy officiating, the Giants' defense held them to 7 points a game.

That's not to say that the team can't get BETTER. Getting the guys back from IR can only help, likewise the the rookies (Herz, Jones, JWill, Paysinger, Sash, Prince) will get a full off season. The Giants are going to get Austin, who has the potential to be our Suh.

OH, don't forget that JPP will be getting the first full offseason of his pro career, and is set to make the 3rd year LEAP in production.

BigBlueOnes
02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
You know what the OP fails to realize? We were pretty ravaged by injuries, and Fewell said on Sirius XM NFL radio the following before the game, which SAYS IT ALL: "Our secondary is our pass rush and we know that." Meaning he knows we didn't have a huge talent in the coverage in LB's and DB's and we have to rely on a four man rush to bring pressure and drop everyone back to cover. It is what it is. We can work on that over the offseason. I think had we brought heat every play, we would have gotten killed. Can't argue however that some of these soft zones plays killed us too.

elismom
02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Glad they won. Big time game that was a nail biter all the way. But Fewell and the gang got some very fortunate breaks. The Welker drop. Hernandez dropping some. Branch too. The soft zones and lack of any kind of jam at the line was killing me. Nobody should EVER pick up a 4th & 16. period. I realize you can't give up the deep ball. But the pass rush sucked. And, the coverage was mediocre at best. Again, winning is great, even if it's ugly.................

this is one of the worst reads in the history of this board

CDN_G-FAN
02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm not crazy about Fewell's scheme. I don't like reactive bend-don't-break defenses. I much prefer aggressive defenses that make offenses have to adjust to THEM. Having said that, Fewell's scheme finally panned out. As much as I wanted him gone and I killed him for the poor defense throughout most of the season, I do have to give him props for putting up a defense that held at the most important times during the season and postseason. I believe his scheme was VERY aided by the fact that refs call very few penalties during the post season and further aided by some of our guys getting healthy (Osi and Boley specifically). But I have to give him props for adjusting and simplifying his defense (finally) when he realized that the players weren't getting it. If I'm going to kill him for the bad things he's done, it's only fair that he gets props for the good things. And in the end he was responsible for a Super Bowl winning defense. (but I don't have to like the scheme)</P>

good on ya for giving him props, and you don't have to like the scheme.</P>

i don't agree that our scheme is aided by the fact refs call very few penalties.</P>

Fewell doesn't get nearly enough credit. we had 5 different playcallers on defense this year, at any given point in time 2 of our top 3 DEs were hampered by injuries.</P>

We weren't "healthy" at the end of the year. We were "healthier".</P>

Healthy would be having Austin, TT, Goff, and Johnson back.</P>

You look at agressive defenses in the playoffs and most of them got torched.</P>

I think another year of Fewell and getting a few injured players back will make a world of difference on this defense.</P>

GameTime
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

drops are part football. Just like picks and fumbles..</P>

The D can get better of course.....that is obvious.</P>

BTW....4th and very longs are made every week in the NFL...it happens...</P>

</P>

</P>

gumby742
02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Our defense had a lot of help. The offense had the ball for almost 40 minutes. I'm not sold on Fewell or our defense yet. Playing better during the post season is great and all, but they still stunk, and pretty badly too, for most of the season.</P>

Even with our injuries, we had enough talent on defense to be at least middle of the pack. Dead last is unacceptable.</P>

BigBlueOnes
02-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Our defense had a lot of help. The offense had the ball for almost 40 minutes. I'm not sold on Fewell or our defense yet. Playing better during the post season is great and all, but they still stunk, and pretty badly too, for most of the season.</P>

Even with our injuries, we had enough talent on defense to be at least middle of the pack. Dead last is unacceptable.</P>

Who gives a **** if we're dead last statistically? We won the Super Bowl. Get real and get a life and then get off the boards. Next time you call the plays.

gfanblue
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Glad they won. Big time game that was a nail biter all the way. But Fewell and the gang got some very fortunate breaks. The Welker drop. Hernandez dropping some. Branch too. The soft zones and lack of any kind of jam at the line was killing me. Nobody should EVER pick up a 4th & 16. period. I realize you can't give up the deep ball. But the pass rush sucked. And, the coverage was mediocre at best. Again, winning is great, even if it's ugly.................</P>

*</P>

Those of us with some type of sense have given him tons of credit. Only fools or those who have a serious grudge against him would critize the man after leading this defensive M.A.S.H. unit to a freaking SB victory. Given the rule changes, there will never be a 86 Giants, 90 Giants, 85 Bears, 70's Steelers, or even a 00 Ravens. It may be too difficult of a concept for spoiled bandwagon fans to understand.Giants fan for 20+ years. Not at all bandwagon. But thanks for playing

TroyArcher
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
You do realize they gave up 17 points to arguably the best offense in the NFL.

NYSPORTS
02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
That zone blitz with the Pats facing a 3rd and long near their goalline was typical Fewell.

gumby742
02-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Our defense had a lot of help.* The offense had the ball for almost 40 minutes.* I'm not sold on Fewell or our defense yet.* Playing better during the post season is great and all, but they still stunk, and pretty badly too, *for most of the season.</P>

Even with our injuries, we had enough talent on defense to be at least middle of the pack.* Dead last is unacceptable.</P>

Who gives a **** if we're dead last statistically? We won the Super Bowl. Get real and get a life and then get off the boards. Next time you call the plays.

So angry. Damn that rap music!

DJloves
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Dropped passes lol lol lol. Aside from the Welker drop, didn't their others come on the last drive when they were CLEARLY rattled?

This defense, the same defense riddled with injuries all year mind you, held Brady and co to ZERO points for about the last 25 minutes... that's incredible.

And we had our fair share of dropped passes or plays that could have resulted in a catch if our guy wasn't assaulted.

zimonami
02-07-2012, 11:48 PM

but...

we gotta* give them at least a week before we criticize imo

Right on, Ban.
For some the glass is half empty and they need to correct it now, not next week.
Holding the Pats/Brady to 17 speaks for itself.
Holding the Pack/Rogers to 20 speaks for itself.
Lots of room for improvement at LB and DB's... but they played with heart and smarts, and came up with the big plays, or took advantage of Pat mistakes, when it mattered.
They don't ask How... they just ask How Many... 21-17... 'nuff said... Enjoy this rare gift.

buffyblue
02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
We won the SuperBowl and that is what matters. We held the best offense in NFL to 17 points however I am going to say that I found it very odd that JPP was dropping into pass coverage and not rushing the QB on that Danny Woodhead TD.

zimonami
02-08-2012, 02:16 AM
We won the SuperBowl and that is what matters. We held the best offense in NFL to 17 points however I am going to say that I found it very odd that JPP was dropping into pass coverage and not rushing the QB on that Danny Woodhead TD.
That was bizarre. He never looked to cover anyone, didn't take his eyes off of Brady as he backed up , just taking up room 4 yards over the middle.
Why?