PDA

View Full Version : Would you take steve smith back?

Marvelousmik
02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Lets say MM isn't able to come to a deal with the giants, would you want to see SS back in blue?

My answer is NOOOOO! I honestly feel like SS is a product of eli and when he went to the eagles on a few occasions he bad talked the giants. I even remember him taunting the fans after scoring a TD vs us in the eagles game. He totally flipped as soon as he went over there.

But what do you guys think?

I would honestly rather sign bylon edwards to a short year deal instead of SS. if eli is throwing him the ball i think he will be back to form.. But knowing how the giants do things, i can see us just developing JJ and sticking with our guys.

Tony Bruno
02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
no.. our system will make any WR in that position shine... Cruz happens to be 1000 times the athlete Smith is/was and there is no way Id move VC from that spot...

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 10:29 AM
when did he bad talk the Giants as an Eagle?

He wasn't recovered from a leg injury

Yes I would take him back

chasjay
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
To me, it all depends on developments regarding who is on/off the roster. I wouldn't be in favor of making room for him at the expense of who we now have - but I don't have a grudge against him. I have some pretty fond memories of his play for us.

nygfanmaybe
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
If I can't keep Manningham, but I prefer the tall guys, really. Tall, fast, with good hands...that's the ticket.

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
no.. our system will make any WR in that position shine... Cruz happens to be 1000 times the athlete Smith is/was and there is no way Id move VC from that spot...

I think having a sure handed guy whose known as a possession guy, that is underrated when it comes to the big play would be a perfect fit.

GMENAGAIN
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Yes, if he's healthy . . . ..

Ruttiger711
02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
if he can make the lineup - sure

JesseJames
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
no..* our system will make any WR in that position shine...* Cruz happens to be 1000 times the athlete Smith is/was and there is no way Id move VC from that spot...

I think having a sure handed guy whose known as a possession guy, that is underrated when it comes to the big play would be a perfect fit.

I agree with you about bringing Smith back if Mario leaves for bigger bucks. Smith was a sure handed receiver who found a way to get open for the first down ..

GameTime
02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
not at the expense of the starting three they have now....</P>

he would play well here for sure but they hopefully will keep the top three.....hopefully</P>

Tony Bruno
02-07-2012, 10:39 AM

</P>

</P>

Actually I agree... Im not taking into consideration that MM may not be back... If MM moves and Smith comes at decent price then yes... I really wouldnt hurt to have a plug and play kinda guy that knows the O too... </P>

miked1958
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Lets say MM isn't able to come to a deal with the giants, would you want to see SS back in blue?

My answer is NOOOOO! I honestly feel like SS is a product of eli and when he went to the eagles on a few occasions he bad talked the giants. I even remember him taunting the fans after scoring a TD vs us in the eagles game. He totally flipped as soon as he went over there.

I would honestly rather sign bylon edwards to a short year deal instead of SS. if eli is throwing him the ball i think he will be back to form.. But knowing how the giants do things, i can see us just developing JJ and sticking with our guys.
</P>

I would not resign SS. I would not sign B. Edwards. If we cant come to terms with MM. I would rather try and develop who is already in the fold. Make Barden and D.Thomas compete for that spot. I think Thomas would surprise alot of people if given the chance. He is a speedster and has decent hands. There is alot of other areas to spend the money when you already have your answers on the roster</P>

miked1958
02-07-2012, 10:44 AM
and lets not forget. We also have JJ on the roster. Who knows what he could turn out to be if he is given the chance.. he could be another Cruz. Who knows. </P>

NOPE dont overspend on MM or sign any FA</P>

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
No.

Mr. Loyal Giant goes to the Eagles. The freaking Eagles. Weeks after making fun of them with an empty trophy case.

Bye Smith.

He did it with his actions in becoming an Eagle.

The Giants offerred him a contract extension in 2010, he turned it down to test free agency.

He had an offer on the table in 2011 and didn't respond to it. He and his agent would not return the Giants' calls.

Then he signed with the Eagles. Without giving the Giants a chance to match.

That's enough for me.

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 10:46 AM

The Giants offerred him a contract extension in 2010, he turned it down to test free agency.

He had an offer on the table in 2011 and didn't respond to it. He and his agent would not return the Giants' calls.

Then he signed with the Eagles.

That's enough for me.

geonyg
02-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Sure, if he can make the team why not? I do have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about how he left but if he is better than what we have, sign him up.

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 10:47 AM

That's enough for me.

Martyr
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I'd love for MM to comeback but really he had a decent season and caught some nice TD passes in the playoffs. MM asking price shouldn't be too high and Reese won't give him a huge pay day. I think Devin Thomas and Barden should get a chance to see what we have with them

SackingMyths
02-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't. Not unless he came crawling back and signed for the league minimum.

As one other poster pointed out, we drafted Jernigan to fill this kind of role and I'd love to see what he could do with his shiftiness. Remember, there really was no offseason program for Rookies last year, so this was basically a red-shirt year for him (compared to past years).

I think our system has been proven to make receivers look like studs and we don't NEED Steve Smith...in spite of what he thought.

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
As long as he's healthy, I would take him back for the right price. I think he's one of the classiest Giants ever and he just did what he had to do when possibly facing his last football contract when he signed with the Eagles for much more money. Even SS didn't know what to expect from his body after surgery. </P>

</P>

nycisgreat
02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
No sir! I like the guys we have now.

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 11:04 AM

That's enough for me.

saying he did it by joining the eagles isn't a realistic answer. OP said that he said things - he didn't say things

Going to hte Eagles was a business decision, which im sure turning down the extension was. We have no idea what he was offered, maybe it wasn't fair, maybe the guaranteed money wasn't right. We have no clue about it except that Smith's side and the Giants side have disagreed about what the offer was in the media and that the Giants are well known for lowballing.

He had a smaller offer on the table after a knee injury which could hamper his career. 1 mil bucks isn't something to somebody like Eli, but to a 2nd round player coming off his 2nd contract with a knee injury, it makes a world of difference.

Well you gotta get over it. Its a business and nobody ever curses out the organization when they make unloyal moves to players. Its just the way it is

ajd121
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
If Mario Manningham is going to ask for a lot of money and Smith willing to come for cheap I would definitely give him a shot, I don't think Manningham is much better if better at all than a healthy Smith and that money could best be spent elsewhere.

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM

As one other poster pointed out, we drafted Jernigan to fill this kind of role and I'd love to see what he could do with his shiftiness. Remember, there really was no offseason program for Rookies last year, so this was basically a red-shirt year for him (compared to past years).

I think our system has been proven to make receivers look like studs and we don't NEED Steve Smith...in spite of what he thought.

we drafted jernigan for ST and to replace Smith. But Cruz replaced smith, we are now looking to replace Mario. Smith could do that as well. JJ hasn't shown anything so far as a WR

ajd121
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
The Eagles told him what he wanted to hear.

ru_gmen55
02-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm totally on the fence with to some. On one hand, it's not as if he's the type of personality that would mess with what we already have...but he was an EAGLE. I felt so betrayed when he went there, and I'm sure a lot of people on this board felt the same.

From a football standpoint, I loved his consistency as a Giant, but I'm not sure if he possesses the big play ability that Manningham has at this point in his career. The catch in the Super Bowl was obviously his best of the year, but he had been making plays like that all season...he can be pretty annoying sometimes though...yeah as I said I'm torn.

If you could guarantee his 100% health...I would lean towards "yes". But for now, we're looking at a guy who went into the regular season hurt, and played an almost non-existent role for an entire season. No guarantees that his skill set even exists at full capacity anymore.

BigBlue1971
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
if Manningham goes yea id bring him back for the right money, providing hes healthy!</P>

Smith could still have a good career in this offense.....if healthy!</P>

Giant stuck in Texas
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM

</p>

I would not resign SS. I would not sign B. Edwards. If we cant come to terms with MM. I would rather try and develop who is already in the fold. Make Barden and D.Thomas compete for that spot. I think Thomas would surprise alot of people if given the chance. He is a speedster and has decent hands. There is alot of other areas to spend the money when you already have your answers on the roster</p>Exactly.

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
in the moment everybody was upset..

dude loves being here, did alot for the fans, but has to worry about his future..

he left for money... anybody else would of done the same. Theres no guarantees that his knee would of been much better had he PUP'd with us.

Time to let it go imo

craigjr007
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
if for some reason we were unable to resign mario manningham, and smith was healthy...absolutely.

Kruunch
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM

My answer is* NOOOOO! I honestly feel like SS is a product of eli and when he went to the eagles on a few occasions he bad talked the giants. I even remember him taunting the fans after scoring a TD vs us in the eagles game. He totally flipped as soon as he went over there.

I would honestly rather sign bylon edwards to a short year deal instead of SS. if eli is throwing him the ball i think he will be back to form..* But knowing how the giants do things, i can see us just developing JJ and sticking with our guys.

I'd take him back in a heart beat.

And I've never heard SS say anything bad about the Giants or the fans.

SweetZombieJesus
02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
saying he did it by joining the eagles isn't a realistic answer. OP said that he said things - he didn't say things

Going to hte Eagles was a business decision, which im sure turning down the extension was. We have no idea what he was offered, maybe it wasn't fair, maybe the guaranteed money wasn't right. We have no clue about it except that Smith's side and the Giants side have disagreed about what the offer was in the media and that the Giants are well known for lowballing.

He had a smaller offer on the table after a knee injury which could hamper his career. 1 mil bucks isn't something to somebody like Eli, but to a 2nd round player coming off his 2nd contract with a knee injury, it makes a world of difference.

Well you gotta get over it. Its a business and nobody ever curses out the organization when they make unloyal moves to players. Its just the way it is

I understand that it's "just business" but if that's the case he shouldn't be shown an ounce of loyalty or nostalgia, he should be treated as if he were any other receiver by any other name.

Smith pretended to be Mr. Giant and then stabbed the organization and the fans in the back and behaved scurrilously in doing so.

So if he makes sense from a business perspective, fine. Otherwise, F him.

And you know what, as a John Doe who is a 5 year vet with multiple injuries and surgeries, pass. Groom a young draft pick and save the money. It's just business.

giantsforce
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

No, I will not take him back. We have receivers much better than SS and hopefully Hixon will come back from his injury so even if we lose Mario, we do not need SS.

Gmen2005
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I would.

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM

I understand that it's "just business" but if that's the case he shouldn't be shown an ounce of loyalty or nostalgia, he should be treated as if he were any other receiver by any other name.

Smith pretended to be Mr. Giant and then stabbed the organization and the fans in the back and behaved scurrilously in doing so.

So if he makes sense from a business perspective, fine. Otherwise, F him.

and the story before he signed that we're all forgetting was the treatment that the giants FO gave him.

Lets not forget what they did to Chase. He actually had to call up the office mid way through august to see what was up and they told him that they wouldn't need his services

He didn't pretend to be mr. giant. Giants cold shouldered him, low balled him, and said thats all they had to give.

He got an offer for double that. The day u turn down a million dollars when u have an uncertain future (more uncertain than most seeing as how he was already hurt) you let me know

in the mean time... bring ur drinking pants and i'll see u in a few hours

CDN_G-FAN
02-07-2012, 11:24 AM

That's enough for me.

</P>

Awesome, awesome post.</P>

agree with every word.</P>

It's just business.</P>

I'd be pretty happy actuallybecause he understands our offense really well, he's not going to get some huge contract given the fact that he was a nothing reciever last year and ended up back on IR.</P>

And i think he brings something to the table that we can't say about our other receivers. he's got glue hands.</P>

For all the explosive playmaking ability of our WRs, i still want a guy that i know if it hits him in both hands, he's going to make the catch. For all the YAC we had this year, there were still times guys were turning upfield before they made the catch.</P>

Smith is like Wayne Chrebet. i want a guy like that.</P>

SackingMyths
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM

we drafted jernigan for ST and to replace Smith. But Cruz replaced smith, we are now looking to replace Mario. Smith could do that as well. JJ hasn't shown anything so far as a WR

Jerrel hasn't shown anything at WR, but has he been given an opportunity? Manningham did less than nothing in his rookie season, other than run backwards, and he blossomed when given ample opportunity. So I don't think that we could really use that argument to measure JJ's potential. It's a lot to ask a rookie to come in and learn this complex, read offense. Can we agree on that?

I'd rather give a shot to a guy already on the roster than retrace our steps and bring in Smith. That approach has proven to work for us. I have no resentment towards SS, I just feel that we've moved on and let's stay the course. Plus, if Mario leaves, Cruz may have to fill that outside role and we'd need someone in the slot.

Lots of important pieces that we have to free up money for (Nicks, JPP to name a few), and bringing in a FA WR on a team that's proven to be able to develop successors "in-house," wouldn't be the most prudent use of money, in my opinion.

If he comes back and the price is absolutely right, then fine. But if we did that, I think it'd be saying a lot about Jernigan's lack of development.

MattMeyerBud
02-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Jerrel hasn't shown anything at WR, but has he been given an opportunity? Manningham did less than nothing in his rookie season, other than run backwards, and he blossomed when given ample opportunity. So I don't think that we could really use that argument to measure JJ's potential. It's a lot to ask a rookie to come in an learn this complex, read offense. Can we agree on that?

I'd rather give the shot to a guy already on the roster than retrace our steps and bring in Smith. I have no resentment towards SS, I just feel that we've moved on and let's stay the course. Plus, if Mario leaves, Cruz may have to fill that outside role and we'd need someone in the slot.

Lots of important pieces that we have to free up money for (Nicks, JPP to name a few), and bringing in a FA WR on a team that's proven to be able to develop successors "in-house," wouldn't be the most prudent use of money, in my opinion.

If he comes back and the price is absolutely right, then fine. But if we did that, I think it'd be saying a lot about Jernigan's lack of development.

i'd say having a drop which could of lead to a big first down in the 4th quarter of a NFC championship game is a shot.

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm totally on the fence with to some. On one hand, it's not as if he's the type of personality that would mess with what we already have...but he was an EAGLE. I felt so betrayed when he went there, and I'm sure a lot of people on this board felt the same. From a football standpoint, I loved his consistency as a Giant, but I'm not sure if he possesses the big play ability that Manningham has at this point in his career. The catch in the Super Bowl was obviously his best of the year, but he had been making plays like that all season...he can be pretty annoying sometimes though...yeah as I said I'm torn. If you could guarantee his 100% health...I would lean towards "yes". But for now, we're looking at a guy who went into the regular season hurt, and played an almost non-existent role for an entire season. No guarantees that his skill set even exists at full capacity anymore.</P>

Yeah, well Canty was a Cowboy...does anyone really care where he came from? He's a Giant now, with a SB ring on his finger.</P>

Marvelousmik
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/6143/steve-smith-i-used-to-hate-the-eagles-now-i-dont-like-the-giants

i wont call it bad talking, but lets just say he flipped the switch pretty quick as soon as he went to the eagles. I can imagine him flipping back once he comes here and talking about what happened with him and the eagles. I rather have an explosive offense like we have now. If Mm leaves i hope we get another explosive player.

Marvelousmik
02-07-2012, 11:49 AM

thats the thing. Smith is not sure handed. Before the injury he dropped a number of passes and a couple of them were intercepted. As an eagle he dropped passes and made mistakes. Hes not all that sure handed. Lol please dont say that dropped pass in the eagles game that ross picked off was because of his injury either.

FBomb
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM

</P>

No.....and not just because he stuck a knife in our backs by going the Filthy.......he isn't a suitable replacement for MM.</P>

I'd take Plax back before him.</P>

jimsgints
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I understand the pros and cons I'm reading here but the issue is would the Giant front office even consider it? I think not. It's not the Giant way. Hope you like filthadephia Smithy.

ru_gmen55
02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm totally on the fence with to some. On one hand, it's not as if he's the type of personality that would mess with what we already have...but he was an EAGLE. I felt so betrayed when he went there, and I'm sure a lot of people on this board felt the same. From a football standpoint, I loved his consistency as a Giant, but I'm not sure if he possesses the big play ability that Manningham has at this point in his career. The catch in the Super Bowl was obviously his best of the year, but he had been making plays like that all season...he can be pretty annoying sometimes though...yeah as I said I'm torn. If you could guarantee his 100% health...I would lean towards "yes". But for now, we're looking at a guy who went into the regular season hurt, and played an almost non-existent role for an entire season. No guarantees that his skill set even exists at full capacity anymore.</P>

Yeah, well Canty was a Cowboy...does anyone really care where he came from?* He's a Giant now, with a SB ring on his finger.</P>

Eh, it's a little different since Smith a one time was a Giant. I fully accept that it's a business, but the irrational side of me wants to ignore that hahaha. Ask said, I would definitely be okay with it. I loved Smith when he was here, and was shocked that his career here ended so abruptly.

ru_gmen55
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Yeah, well Canty was a Cowboy...does anyone really care where he came from?* He's a Giant now, with a SB ring on his finger.</P>

Eh, it's a little different since Smith a one time was a Giant. I fully accept that it's a business, but the irrational side of me wants to ignore that hahaha. Ask said, I would definitely be okay with it. I loved Smith when he was here, and was shocked that his career here ended so abruptly.

*As I said

BigBlue121
02-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Well he did say" i used to hate the eagles, but now i hate the Giants"

rainierjef
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM

</P>

SMH you guys are nuts, i liked steve smith just as any of you but we gave him an offer and the eagles gave him a better offer and put him out on the field way sooner than he neededto be and he did nothing its almost like a full year of rust cause he did nothing but warm the bench. we have a young wide receiver core who all like each other nad feed off each others success. i admit i was one of the idiots clamouring for the resigning of burress and someone on here told me he will be a distraction and i argued that is idiocy if were winning games there is no distraction, "whoeverthat poster wasyou were right, i was wrong sorry." the way that these guys have clicked and used eachother as inspiration i dont want MM to leave and i certainly dont want SS back. he will be a distraction. </P>

i don't think mario asks for the money you guys think he will ask for and i am sure that the giants can structure something to keep everyone happy when it comes to mario. </P>

give MM a full offseason to work more on his route running and he will be more dangerous than he is now </P>

NWKEffectElement
02-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Steve Smith did not have 'sure hands'. He will never be a New York Giant again, PERIOD!!!! Take that to the bank.

thomsoad
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM

He had an offer on the table in 2011 and didn't respond to it.* He and his agent would not return the Giants' calls.

That's enough for me.

saying he did it by joining the eagles isn't* a realistic answer.* OP said that he said things - he didn't say things

Well you gotta get over it. Its a business and nobody ever curses out the organization when they make unloyal moves to players.* Its just the way it is

IDK Matt. A bad offer is one thing but to not even respond? Alford rejected our offer and went to the Skins but at least he responded with class. Smith in my opinion left a taste similiar to Shockey. But I wouldnt take Boss back either tho.

thomsoad
02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I also want to go on record to say that looking back I dont think Smith was all that.

Eli MADE SS ... not the other way around.

DEgiants89
02-07-2012, 01:33 PM

yeah he did say that

BillTheGreek
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes in a heart beat, Only If Eli wants him , And he helps us Win games Why not ! Give him another shot, Lets face it Winning makes Fans happy ,This is a Business and the franchise loves making Money !

Coach Carter
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM

My answer is* NOOOOO! I honestly feel like SS is a product of eli and when he went to the eagles on a few occasions he bad talked the giants. I even remember him taunting the fans after scoring a TD vs us in the eagles game. He totally flipped as soon as he went over there.

I would honestly rather sign bylon edwards to a short year deal instead of SS. if eli is throwing him the ball i think he will be back to form..* But knowing how the giants do things, i can see us just developing JJ and sticking with our guys.

Call me stupid, but I would have to have Steve Smith back. Imagine Eli going 4WR in shotgun with Nicks and Manningham on the outside, and Smith and Cruz as the slots. Who do you double? It would drive defensive coordinators crazy and we would become the Houston Oilers-North

FUUFNF
02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
After signing with the Eagles, Steve Smith essentially called John Mara a liar about their contract offer prior to his injury... I highly doubt we'll see him wearing a Giants jersey anytime soon.

G-Stan
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
yes. and anybody *****ing about him saying i hate the giants is taking things too seriously. giants hate the eagles, vice versa. so of course,he play for the eagles, he is going to say that.

steve has never said anything negative about the giants and especially not the players. when the season started he wished nicks and manningham well, along with the rest of the team.

the fans are more upset than those actually involved; they don't care. they understand business.

chuckedafter5yards
02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
YES, he felt he could play and the Giants did not- can't blame the guy for feeling like he could go. Unfortunate he ended up in Philly but he is out of there now and he was terrific for the team. He got hurt in that stupid Viking game by Chad Greenway- very awkward tackle.
Eli knows where he is going to be, they communicate well and he would be an asset.

vcruz2013
02-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I would take Plax back on a cheap one year contract waaaay before giving SS an offer.

bflo23
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Why are so many people confident that Steve Smith is healthy?

He had 2 straight seasons of only 9 games played due to a reoccuring knee injury. A major knee injury that knocked him out 2 straight years and people are willing to spend money on him?

I prefer Manningham. Even if Smith is healthy, he won't be the same and probably lost a ton of speed. Lets not forget he played 9 games and only had 11 receptions so that knee is obviously effecting him.

BillTheGreek
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Call me stupid, but I would have to have Steve Smith back. Imagine Eli going 4WR in shotgun with Nicks and Manningham on the outside, and Smith and Cruz as the slots. Who do you double? It would drive defensive coordinators crazy and we would become the Houston Oilers-North

True..........what Weapons we would have....I really miss Smith..............

Voldamort
02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
to much money,to slow

flimflam
02-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Get over it. Mark Bavaro became an Eagle and is still part of the Giants family and rightfully slow. If MM leaves, then I would welcome back Steve Smith in a heartbeat.

WR success for the Giants is not a product of the system we run- you have to have talent too. Steve Smith is a pretty talented receiver and was superlative as a Giant. Eli and Steve have a great rapport, and resigning Steve would be a great move.

The guy is as precise as a Swiss watch and knows how to get open and move the chains. He would be a great complement to Cruz and Nicks, and would probably be a lot cheaper than Mario. Some team is going to give him #1 money when by all intents and purposes is our #3.

So Steve Smith, welcome back to the New York Football Giants.

vcruz2013
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Get over it. Mark Bavaro became an Eagle and is still part of the Giants family and rightfully slow. If MM leaves, then I would welcome back Steve Smith in a heartbeat.

WR success for the Giants is not a product of the system we run- you have to have talent too. Steve Smith is a pretty talented receiver and was superlative as a Giant. Eli and Steve have a great rapport, and resigning Steve would be a great move.

The guy is as precise as a Swiss watch and knows how to get open and move the chains. He would be a great complement to Cruz and Nicks, and would probably be a lot cheaper than Mario. Some team is going to give him #1 money when by all intents and purposes is our #3.

So Steve Smith, welcome back to the New York Football Giants.

nah. He's not coming back lol

JMFP2
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Smith was a big reason Eli won his first Super Bowl.....if getting him back makes good business sense, I'd be up for it.</P>

But he's pretty much shot "fan favorite" status in the ***. He'll never get that back, at least not with me.</P>

barran21
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
If healthy yes, otherwise no...

Mr. Zolo
02-07-2012, 09:00 PM
If healthy yes, otherwise no...

Thats one reason. Another reason is that he knows Kevin Gilbride's complicated system, so he'd have a better chance then say a drafted rookie at making the roster.

Although I would only take Steve Smith back is Mario leaves.

rumplemenz
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Guys i think alot of us are forgetting about Barden. He is 6 6" and has the potential of making us forget about Manningham very quickly. Yes I'd love to have Smith back however can an offense run efficiently with TWO slot receivers on the field at once? My belief is Smith and his agent will go after a team that is weak at wideout to increase his chances of becoming a starter again.

rumplemenz
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
btw... i wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Jets go after Manningham ... jets will do anything to try and capture some of that giant magic.. ha

bandwgn86
02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
no..* our system will make any WR in that position shine...* Cruz happens to be 1000 times the athlete Smith is/was and there is no way Id move VC from that spot...

i agree. nice sig. you lost a bet im assuming

mr.hiroki
02-09-2012, 09:49 PM

</P>

Yup. Just imagine; Nicks, Cruz, Smith, and Manningham.......that would be sweeeet, not that I'm knockin' who we have now, not at all! Always room for improvement though, and depending the price tag, yeah, I'd love to have him back. If he'd sign with us for the change that Philly gave him, I'd say snag him. Italso depends on other needs and salaries, but not factoring in the monetary end of things, and speaking purely of his talent, yeah come on back. [;)]</P>

thomsoad
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Guys i think alot of us are forgetting about Barden. He is 6 6" and has the potential of making us forget about Manningham very quickly. Yes I'd love to have Smith back however can an offense run efficiently with TWO slot receivers on the field at once? My belief is Smith and his agent will go after a team that is weak at wideout to increase his chances of becoming a starter again.

I have been one of the biggest Barden supporters on the planet... but even I am beginning to doubt this kid. All he does is end up on the IR every year.

nygsb42champs
02-10-2012, 07:52 AM
No. Cruz has taken over that slot position. Smith is not the deep threat that Manningham is.

RonnieRotten
02-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Eli would take him in a minute. Nobody has mentioned how our offense has been *dumby* downed, because of MM... and a little for HN. But, you know what, we won the SB with them.
SS is smart ... makes zero mental mistakes... moves the chains, receiving in the slot. If he is healthy we could still make the SB with him next year..... but we would be 11-5 going into the playoff3... and our defense would be much fresher. Sign SS ASAP!

RonnieRotten - Las Vegas, NV.

TheEnigma
02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Only if he's healthy, comes here for the right price, and realizes that he isn't guaranteed the #3 spot.

Call me crazy but I think we'll see Jernigan really work hard during the offseason and move to the slot while Cruz becomes a deep threat along with Nicks. Draft us a TE early on in the draft and imagine how open the middle of the field should be.

RoanokeFan
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM

I agree with you about bringing Smith back if Mario leaves for bigger bucks. Smith was a sure handed receiver who found a way to get open for the first down ..

But that's the real question, can he still do that two leg injuries later??

Mohann
02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
He had me at hello.