PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone feel the need to "protect" the Brady legacy?

Markroman
02-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I am puzzled by how many in the media are obsessing with the Brady legacy.

Brady is no longer the Mr. Perfect and it seems like some are having a hard time admitting that:

1) he was outplayed
2) Has not had a great playoff year in over 8 years

He will go into the Hall but, their quest to name him "best ever" is annoying.

thomsoad
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Peytons hurt; Brees isnt in the SB this year.;Romo sux; and they cant fully get behind Eli yet cuz they spent the last 5-7 seasons bashing him.

As of now Brady is all they got.

CDN_G-FAN
02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Peytons hurt; Brees isnt in the SB this year.;Romo sux; and they cant fully get behind Eli yet cuz they spent the last 5-7 seasons bashing him. As of now Brady is all they got.</P>

basically.</P>

this might be the year they could start talking about Brady's decline.</P>

</P>

Bing Crosby
02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I still don't think it's really hurt in the grand scheme of things. He's going to be in the hall of fame, and he is going to go down in history as one of the greats. I know a lot of his fans are just pissed that they can't claim that he is better then Montana now.

Elway wasn't perfect either, but people still remember him as a great QB.

Eli and the G-Men just have his number. We had Montana's to, just ask Joe Cool when he had the hardest hit in his life.

BigBlue2010
02-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I still don't think it's really hurt in the grand scheme of things. He's going to be in the hall of fame, and he is going to go down in history as one of the greats. I know a lot of his fans are just pissed that they can't claim that he is better then Montana now.

Elway wasn't perfect either, but people still remember him as a great QB.

Eli and the G-Men just have his number. We had Montana's to, just ask Joe Cool when he had the hardest hit in his life.

I think that's precisely it. Its no longer " Montana or Brady?" Its "Is Brady even better than Elway?"

G-Man67
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
i thought Brady played pretty well, i know in the end he didn't do enough, but he set a Super Bowl record 16 in a row ... not too shabby and he was pressured on over 1/3 of his drop backs

DEgiants89
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I am puzzled by how many in the media are obsessing with the Brady legacy.

Brady is no longer the Mr. Perfect and it seems like some are having a hard time admitting that:

1) he was outplayed
2) Has not had a great playoff year in over 8 years

He will go into the Hall but, their quest to name him "best ever" is annoying.

agreeed. Although getting to the super bowl 5 times is no joke. I feel like his legacy has fallen since 07 though and we are just starting to see it melt away. 08 he didn't play and then 09-10 he never won a playoff game. Then he gets all the way to the rematch with the giants and fails again (not to mention not the most spectacular postseason play if you avg the broncos and ravens). If he doesn't do well anymore, it will be a big testament to Brady's legacy. He has been a huge story for his whole career so people love him in the media. Just look at all these analysts who were like brady won 3 SBs and what not (last time was 05...that is alot of time). Now people in Boston are ripping him and getting pissed so he is starting to slip. I am just glad recognition is finally going Eli's way.

RoanokeFan
02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Peytons hurt; Brees isnt in the SB this year.;Romo sux; and they cant fully get behind Eli yet cuz they spent the last 5-7 seasons bashing him. As of now Brady is all they got.</p>

basically.</p>

this might be the year they could start talking about Brady's decline.</p>

</p>

This ^

AND, if Gisele doesn't hold her tongue, Brady will need his own locker room next season.

Morehead State
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I thought Brady played very well on Sunday. No deep threat and his best weapon was playing on one leg.</P>

He has nothing to hang his head about. Our team was just a little bit better than theirs.</P>

It isn't about Brady vs. Eli. Its about the Pats vs. the Giants. And the Giants were better on Sunday.</P>

I can't honestly say that Eli was better than Brady on Sunday.</P>

Markroman
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Here is the thing with BRady:

Unlike alot of QBs, his legacy was made very early in his career. Qbs generally built the resume as they go.

Steve Young was nothing until well into his prime. Elway was an "under acheiver" until he won 2 late Superbowls.

Brady has put up big regular season numbers but, has not been lights out in the playoffs for a long time.

When they were 16-0, he did not play well in the AFC championship game against the Chargers.

He did not play well against the Ravens this year in the AFC championship.

BRady off the field is not the most likeable guy around.

The media spent so long bashing Eli that it is hard to embrace him. Part of the reason is:

1) he does not ride motorcycles and break the law
2) He does not impregnate one Supermodel and marry another at same time

Basically, he does not sell "tabloids"

bLuereverie
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
After sport is played, it is to be debated. That is all.

BigBlueFanNJ
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Because Brady has done a terrible job protecting his own legacy the past few seasons!!

CDN_G-FAN
02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I thought Brady played very well on Sunday. No deep threat and his best weapon was playing on one leg.</P>

He has nothing to hang his head about. Our team was just a little bit better than theirs.</P>

It isn't about Brady vs. Eli. Its about the Pats vs. the Giants. And the Giants were better on Sunday.</P>

</P>

i can. Eli played better.</P>

there's a big con job going on right now.</P>

before this game, if someone was predicting that the Pats would win, one of, if not THE primary reason they gave was Tom Brady. Not the New England offense, not the double TEs. Tom Brady. They used him as an intangible to explain that when he's the QB, anything's possible.</P>

And that's fair given his resume. he was the comeback kid WAY before Eli was the comeback kid.</P>

But NOW the narrative has changed. Now, magically, Tom Brady isn't the reason they lost. It's that his offensive targets aren't as good. Their defense isn't as good.</P>

So with all the new discussion going on about the rest of the New England roster, its safe to say that Tom Brady USED TO BE ENOUGH to predict wins in games like they just had against the Giants.</P>

NOW, after this loss, people are unknowingly acknowledging that the rest of the roster is becoming more important to the Patriots success relative to what they've always thought was more than enough supporting talent.</P>

It simply means that if brady was good enough back in the day to pull this off, he simply isn't anymore.</P>

BJacobs aka The Problem
02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I thought Brady played very well on Sunday.* No deep threat and his best weapon was playing on one leg.</P>

He has nothing to hang his head about.** Our team was just a little bit better than theirs.</P>

It isn't about Brady vs. Eli.* Its about the Pats vs. the Giants.* And the Giants were better on Sunday.</P>

You're kidding right?

Eli was clearly the better quarterback on Sunday and you can based that off stats and by visibly watching the game.

I mean, Eli completed 75% of his passes for 296 yards and a touchdown. Brady was 65% for 276 yds, 2 TD's 1 INT and Safety that was on him.

Brady had more mental errors and mistakes. I'll give you that it was Giants vs Patriots, but Eli was clearly the better quarterback on Sunday.

As for Brady's legacy, I think the questions should have started when the Patriots went 11-5 with a back up QB the season he got injured.

Markroman
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
The Pats scored 500+ points and Brady threw for 5,000+ yards.

Suddenly, he had no supporting cast!

The media needs to reconcile this one.

All I heard during the week was:

1) Brady will get his redemption because he is so mad from the last game
2) Brady will come back after a horrible AFC Championship game

Brady looked human on Sunday. Not bad but human.

conlsmc06
02-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I thought Brady played very well on Sunday.* No deep threat and his best weapon was playing on one leg.</P>

He has nothing to hang his head about.** Our team was just a little bit better than theirs.</P>

It isn't about Brady vs. Eli.* Its about the Pats vs. the Giants.* And the Giants were better on Sunday.</P>

You're kidding right?

Eli was clearly the better quarterback on Sunday and you can based that off stats and by visibly watching the game.

I mean, Eli completed 75% of his passes for 296 yards and a touchdown. Brady was 65% for 276 yds, 2 TD's 1 INT and Safety that was on him.

Brady had more mental errors and mistakes. I'll give you that it was Giants vs Patriots, but Eli was clearly the better quarterback on Sunday.

As for Brady's legacy, I think the questions should have started when the Patriots went 11-5 with a back up QB the season he got injured.

Very well put, everyone forgets that the year he was out they were screwed out of the playoffs with Cassell

repeatchamps
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
<U>The Pats scored 500+ points and Brady threw for 5,000+ yards. Suddenly, he had no supporting cast!</U> The media needs to reconcile this one. All I heard during the week was: 1) Brady will get his redemption because he is so mad from the last game 2) Brady will come back after a horrible AFC Championship game Brady looked human on Sunday. Not bad but human.</P>

And there's the rub. No matter the obstacles it has always been Brady can do it all on his own no matter who was around him. People saying things like Gronk was hurt and this and that is hypocrisy. Gronk beinghurt is meaningless, he was out there and he had Hernandez, Welker and Branch with him. The Giants were left with Bear Pasoce for most of the game at that respective position but somehow it was enough for the Giants and Eli. Yes Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Pascoe&gt; Hernandez, Welker, Branch, Ochocincoand a limping Gronk but Nicks rememberwas banged upcoming into this game too you know.How anyone could look at the game and say Brady evenly matched Eli is beyond me. Eli clearly outplayed him and that is indisputable. Brady is ahall of fameQB but no man can do everything on his own but according to the media if it's Brady it's enough. Well guess what no it is not and the media saying so makes them look like bigger fools then they already are.</P>

Markroman
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Put it this way...

Winning the AFC East is a little easier than winning the NFC EAST.

How many years in the last 10 was any team in the AFC EAST remotely competitive to the Patriots.

Dolphins, Bills and Jets have been consistently awful with the exception of a couple of years here and there.

CDN_G-FAN
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
The Pats scored 500+ points and Brady threw for 5,000+ yards. Suddenly, he had no supporting cast! The media needs to reconcile this one. All I heard during the week was: 1) Brady will get his redemption because he is so mad from the last game 2) Brady will come back after a horrible AFC Championship game Brady looked human on Sunday. Not bad but human.</P>

Hell, he looked really good.</P>

but absolutely human.</P>

he left plays out on the field.</P>

hernendez drop isn't on him, but the welker drop is partially on him.</P>

everyone ignores that he could have converted the 3rd and 11 after the welker drop and didn't.</P>

one of his incompletionsto branch on the final drive was behind him on trailing coverage, if its in front its a 20 yard completion and and a 1st down.</P>

the safety.</P>

the INT.</P>

he simply left plays on the field that Eli didn't.</P>

onlineprof
02-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I think the talking heads have a lot invested in Brady. They have praised him for years. Either they are slowly being proved wrong, or Brady is on the downward side of his career.

I also think Brady is one of the few remaining marquee q-backs, the guy who could win it with receivers in wheel chairs. That kind of player is so attractive to commentators who can go on and on about how wonderful he is.

Eli and the Giants are like the Olympic athletes who come in second in every round they participate in. They win the All Around gold medal and they have have balance and skill and perseverance. But those things do not sparkle and shine like supermodels and and good hair. So Brady is protected.

I actually heard a commentator yesterday saying that while Eli is good, he is not elite. Go figure.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>I can't honestly say that Eli was better than Brady on Sunday</FONT>.</P>Maybe you cant,but stats dont lie during one game. Eli had more completions/yards on LESS attempts. That to me says it all, along with playing clutch when he had to. I dont often disagree with you but we are miles apart on this particular game and our thoughts. But I honestly love the fact that people and the Talking heads are not putting Eli into graces. The reason i say this is if a player gets too ****y when everyone is praising him then reaching for the next pinnacle is not that important and the hunger to prove people wrong remains in your head and you continue to excel!

jhamburg
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
You guys are talking about Brady, when you should really be talking about Belichick. I think as a GM he's overrated. Other than the two TEs, there's hardly anyone on the team drafted in the last 5 years who's worth a damn. All those draft picks and practically nothing to show for it. Their deep threats are an over the hill Ochocinco and Branch. The pass rush is one guy who isn't even that great. How many corners has Belichick drafted in the past few years and Edelman is their nickelback? The fact that they were even in the super bowl at all shows how good Brady is.

DEgiants89
02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
You guys are talking about Brady, when you should really be talking about Belichick. I think as a GM he's overrated. Other than the two TEs, there's hardly anyone on the team drafted in the last 5 years who's worth a damn. All those draft picks and practically nothing to show for it. Their deep threats are an over the hill Ochocinco and Branch. The pass rush is one guy who isn't even that great. How many corners has Belichick drafted in the past few years and Edelman is their nickelback? The fact that they were even in the super bowl at all shows how good Brady is.

I think that is a reach. Belichick put an undertalented team through the playoffs (granted his schedule was redic easy) but I think Ochocinco is a better talent than Branch but Branch is more of the system WR. Sure the pats lost cuz of no talent and all the pressure being on Bradys back but I feel like that is going to change. A coach taking a team 5 years to the super bowl and winning 3 has to be pretty good. Obviously Belichick is an aggressive coach (4th &amp; 2 against the colts, letting bradshaw score) but let the players play and leave the defeat on them. Look at Brady's safety, that has to be on Bill.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
You guys are talking about Brady, when you should really be talking about Belichick.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #0000ff" size=5> I think as a GM he's overrated</FONT>. Other than the two TEs, there's hardly anyone on the team drafted in the last 5 years who's worth a damn. All those draft picks and practically nothing to show for it. Their deep threats are an over the hill Ochocinco and Branch. The pass rush is one guy who isn't even that great. How many corners has Belichick drafted in the past few years and Edelman is their nickelback? The fact that they were even in the super bowl at all shows how good Brady is.What are you talking about???? He is the head coach.

conlsmc06
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
You guys are talking about Brady, when you should really be talking about Belichick.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #0000ff" size=5> I think as a GM he's overrated</FONT>. Other than the two TEs, there's hardly anyone on the team drafted in the last 5 years who's worth a damn. All those draft picks and practically nothing to show for it. Their deep threats are an over the hill Ochocinco and Branch. The pass rush is one guy who isn't even that great. How many corners has Belichick drafted in the past few years and Edelman is their nickelback? The fact that they were even in the super bowl at all shows how good Brady is.What are you talking about???? He is the head coach.

I am pretty sure he has final say on personel moves

jhamburg
02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

He makes all of the GM decisions, so he's def facto GM

Firenugget
02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
He sells Jerseys.

NYSPORTS
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
If not for Eli Manning, Tom Brady wins two more Superbowl MVP's.

The guy is still great yet would challenge any to claim another QB is better in the clutch than Eli.

jhamburg
02-07-2012, 08:38 PM

I think that is a reach. Belichick put an undertalented team through the playoffs (granted his schedule was redic easy) but I think Ochocinco is a better talent than Branch but Branch is more of the system WR. Sure the pats lost cuz of no talent and all the pressure being on Bradys back but I feel like that is going to change. A coach taking a team 5 years to the super bowl and winning 3 has to be pretty good. Obviously Belichick is an aggressive coach (4th & 2 against the colts, letting bradshaw score) but let the players play and leave the defeat on them. Look at Brady's safety, that has to be on Bill.

I'm not talking about him as a HC, I'm talking about as a GM. Most of the players on those great early 2000s teams were not drafted by Belichick, he did not have the same power then as he does now.

JPP
02-07-2012, 09:38 PM

</P>

i can. Eli played better.</P>

there's a big con job going on right now.</P>

before this game, if someone was predicting that the Pats would win, one of, if not THE primary reason they gave was Tom Brady.** Not the New England offense, not the double TEs.* Tom Brady.* They used him as an intangible to explain that when he's the QB, anything's possible.</P>

And that's fair given his resume.* he was the comeback kid WAY before Eli was the comeback kid.</P>

But NOW the narrative has changed.* Now, magically, Tom Brady isn't the reason they lost.* It's that his offensive targets aren't as good.* Their defense isn't as good.</P>

So with all the new discussion going on about the rest of the New England roster, its safe to say that Tom Brady USED TO BE ENOUGH to predict wins in games like they just had against the Giants.</P>

NOW, after this loss, people are unknowingly acknowledging that the rest of the roster is becoming more important to the Patriots success relative to what they've always thought was more than enough supporting talent.</P>

It simply means that if brady was good enough back in the day to pull this off, he simply isn't anymore.</P>

So maybe he WR and RBs were better than advertised before and now when they have less talented ones they should be spending more money on their D.

bflo23
02-07-2012, 09:53 PM
I thought Brady played very well on Sunday. No deep threat and his best weapon was playing on one leg.</p>

He has nothing to hang his head about. Our team was just a little bit better than theirs.</p>

It isn't about Brady vs. Eli. Its about the Pats vs. the Giants. And the Giants were better on Sunday.</p>

I can't honestly say that Eli was better than Brady on Sunday.</p>

What game were you watching? Nobody in their right mind thinks Brady played better than Eli.

T. Brady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5228)

27-41, 276 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 91 QBR
E. Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6760)

30-40, 296 yds, 1 TD

, 104 QBR

Did you see Brady throw that horrible pass to Welker? Easy TD if he connects. Or his terrible interception? Or his bad pass that he threw behind Branch? If he connects with Branch, it is about a 40 yard gain at least. All these Brady fanatics can't give Brady all the praise when Patriots win.... And when Patriots lose and go 6-6 in their last 12 playoff games and Brady has around 70 QB rating, then it suddenly becomes a "team game" now.

And did you see Manning throw for 75%? Or his beautiful bomb in the perfect location to Manningham in his game winning drive?

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-07-2012, 09:57 PM
You guys are talking about Brady, when you should really be talking about Belichick.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #0000ff" size=5> I think as a GM he's overrated</FONT>. Other than the two TEs, there's hardly anyone on the team drafted in the last 5 years who's worth a damn. All those draft picks and practically nothing to show for it. Their deep threats are an over the hill Ochocinco and Branch. The pass rush is one guy who isn't even that great. How many corners has Belichick drafted in the past few years and Edelman is their nickelback? The fact that they were even in the super bowl at all shows how good Brady is.What are you talking about???? He is the head coach. He makes all of the GM decisions, so he's def facto GMIm so glad you have the inside track to the NE Heirarchy!! I bow to you....gulp...no effing way you troll.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-07-2012, 10:00 PM

What game were you watching? Nobody in their right mind thinks Brady played better than Eli.

T. Brady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5228) 27-41, 276 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 91 QBR
E. Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6760) 30-40, 296 yds, 1 TD , 104 QBR

Did you see Brady throw that horrible pass to Welker? Easy TD if he connects. Or his terrible interception? Or his bad pass that he threw behind Branch? If he connects with Branch, it is about a 40 yard gain at least. All these Brady fanatics can't give Brady all the praise when Patriots win.... And when Patriots lose and go 6-6 in their last 12 playoff games and Brady has around 70 QB rating, then it suddenly becomes a "team game" now.

And did you see Manning throw for 75%? Or his beautiful bomb in the perfect location to Manningham in his game winning drive?
stated that to Morehead earlier in a dif post. You sir are on the money, Eli outplayed brady in that game and ......WE WON!!!! good call!

giantsfan420
02-07-2012, 10:06 PM

T. Brady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5228) 27-41, 276 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 91 QBR
E. Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6760) 30-40, 296 yds, 1 TD , 104 QBR

stated that to Morehead earlier in a dif post. You sir are on the money, Eli outplayed brady in that game and ......WE WON!!!! good call!

i agree. eli clearly outplayed brady especially in the 4th quarter, the 4th quarter in the SB is when u really find the worth of a qb.

Brady-something like 5-16 and an int
Eli-10-14 like 90 yards and that picture perfect pass.

oh and btw, about the whole BB/GM thing, BB does have final say and his hands on absolutely everything that goes on in the NE organization. He is in fact the "de facto" GM, I actually thought he was full out the GM but if u say hes not I'll take ur word for it, but I know 100% from Patriots players and the lead up to the game, commentators kept on remarking how every single decision the NE organization makes is BB decision, the hotels they use, the gameplans on both sides of the ball, times of meetings, who is drafted, who is signed, who is released, who is traded for, etc. etc. etc.
take it easy with calling some one else for simply having a diff. idea than u, hardly makes him a troll

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM

stated that to Morehead earlier in a dif post. You sir are on the money, Eli outplayed brady in that game and ......WE WON!!!! good call! i agree. eli clearly outplayed brady especially in the 4th quarter, the 4th quarter in the SB is when u really find the worth of a qb. Brady-something like 5-16 and an int Eli-10-14 like 90 yards and that picture perfect pass. oh and btw, about the whole BB/GM thing, BB does have final say and his hands on absolutely everything that goes on in the NE organization. He is in fact the "de facto" GM, I actually thought he was full out the GM but if u say hes not I'll take ur word for it, but I know 100% from Patriots players and the lead up to the game, commentators kept on remarking how every single decision the NE organization makes is BB decision, the hotels they use, the gameplans on both sides of the ball, times of meetings, who is drafted, who is signed, who is released, who is traded for, etc. etc. etc. take it easy with calling some one else for simply having a diff. idea than u, hardly makes him a trollHow does he have the time to do all that? He might have won this game an previous SB, along with playoffs if he didnt do this job.