PDA

View Full Version : Eli to other HOF QB at age 30

DEgiants89
02-07-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/eli-manning-vs-hall-of-fame-quarterbacks-at-30-1.3493231#1

Just sayin Kurt Warner should do his research before saying stuff.

Hey if the hurdle is that Eli has to play consistently at a high level so he can go to the HOF then.

http://ttands.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/challenge_accepted_re_red_pancake_s400x300_128675_ 580_re_longest_post_on_sharenator_s400x300_1947941 _draw_a_hamburger_with_your_eyes_closed-s400x300-278987-580.jpg

DragonSoul
02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
nice post. A lot of those qbs have horrible stats

NYG4ME
02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/eli-manning-vs-hall-of-fame-quarterbacks-at-30-1.3493231#1

Just sayin Kurt Warner should do his research before saying stuff.

Hey if the hurdle is that Eli has to play consistently at a high level so he can go to the HOF then.

http://ttands.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/challenge_accepted_re_red_pancake_s400x300_128675_ 580_re_longest_post_on_sharenator_s400x300_1947941 _draw_a_hamburger_with_your_eyes_closed-s400x300-278987-580.jpg

Newsday link at the top is awesome..

XxBigWhitxX
02-07-2012, 11:00 PM
nice post. A lot of those qbs have horrible statsthats an understatement. I mean my god Bradshaw, Layne, Moon, Namath, Starr, even old Y.A.

giantsfan420
02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
very nice. and eli is certainly playing light years ahead of his first 3 1/2 years in the league.

waiting for the "the rules favor the passer now"...

i think the one constant that eli shares with the great hof, like the best of the best, is playoff success.

alot of those qbs just had horrific stats and i doubt a few rule changes would affect the stats much...

looks like warner needs to do some research before exposing how jealous he is...honestly stats aside, super bowls and playoff performances, AND CLUTCH ABILITY alone is enough to at least remain quiet on the situation. warner has absolutely no foundation for his stance its actually sad...

JJC7301
02-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Great link, but Eli's going to be compared to today's QBs when it comes to getting into the HOF, and rightfully so. "Experts" will find a way to screw him over completely, or make him take 20 years to get in like they did to Harry Carson.

Dan Marino has got to be the best QB of all time. He was putting up today's elite QB numbers 20 - 25 years ago. Amazing.

DEgiants89
02-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Great link, but Eli's going to be compared to today's QBs when it comes to getting into the HOF, and rightfully so. "Experts" will find a way to screw him over completely, or make him take 20 years to get in like they did to Harry Carson.

Dan Marino has got to be the best QB of all time. He was putting up today's elite QB numbers 20 - 25 years ago. Amazing.

I know right? What Marino was able to do is redic. What Favre was able to do with consecutive starts too. Although no one remembers the 90s Favre so mad biased.

I think Eli has a very good chance on passing ALOT of players and solidify himself in the NFL history. Keep it up Eli...we ALL bELIeve hah

greenca190
02-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Not to be a complete downer, but Kurt Warner is looking at the question as if Eli is retiring tomorrow. If he does, it's a stretch for him to get into the Hall of Fame. If Eli has a disc slip in the off season and has the neck surgeries is brother is having, leaving him to not play ever again, I don't think he's voted in.

DEgiants89
02-08-2012, 12:28 AM
ehh you should see that website. I am pretty sure it would make you reconsider

DragonSoul
02-08-2012, 01:58 AM

Dan Marino has got to be the best QB of all time. He was putting up today's elite QB numbers 20 - 25 years ago. Amazing.But wasn't Marinos Fins more of a passing team? Much different then many of the qbs till the last 10-12 years.

DragonSoul
02-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Just looked real quick

Marino had 3 season of 600+ passing attempts
He had 8 seasons of 500+ passing attempts

DragonSoul
02-08-2012, 02:07 AM
from 85-89 he had

ints -
1989 -22
1985- 21

In his 8th season the ints stayed between 13-17 on average, and 0 SBs

Firenugget
02-08-2012, 05:48 AM
edit..nm.[:P]

nygfanmaybe
02-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Everyone should feel luck that Eli only cares about one thing...winning. Whatever it takes.

There is no way that anyone is ever gonna convince me that a QB with 0 rings is the best all-time. I would have to take a serious look at how that guy got so many stats without ever winning anything.

What everybody fails to stop and ponder is that winning is everything. Eli has never had a losing season. It is all about winning. When it is all on the line, you want a winner out there. I bet that if you made a poll right now as to what QB would you want out there late in the 4th qtr. if you needed a score, Eli would win that poll. Can't be sure but almost.

Anyway...you would want a winner...and winners are voted into the HOF.

Bing Crosby
02-08-2012, 05:58 AM
A bit off topic, but I can see why alot of the old timers still talk about how great Otto Graham was in his day. His numbers are damn impressive especially considering it's mostly from the 40s.

bLuereverie
02-08-2012, 06:00 AM
When Steve Young assumed the starting role, he won 6 passing titles. He deserves his place in Canton.

chasjay
02-08-2012, 07:35 AM
When Steve Young assumed the starting role, he won 6 passing titles. He deserves his place in Canton.

I have no problem with Young's having his place in the Hall - agree that it is deserved both statistically and on the basis of winning big games. If he makes it to the "Football Analysts' HOF" I'm going to cry foul, though.

nygsb42champs
02-08-2012, 07:54 AM
It is a long way to go before the end of ei's career. Lets have this discussion then,.

bigblue58
02-08-2012, 08:00 AM

For years I've heard people knock Eli for his completion % of under 60%, as a reason he will never be in the same conversation as the all time great QB's like Marino.
So imagine my astonishment when I look at the stats of the great Marino himself, and discover that HE didn't even have a completion % of 60% !!!!!
This thread was a good idea because it proves once again how ridiculous it is to argue this stuff!
There are far too many different variables from era to era to consider, to ever be able to make a definitive argument about any one player, team, etc al.

elismom
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Just no debating it at this pt.

Robbed the Ice from Matty!
Discount Double Checked Rodgers
Showed Alex what a first rounder does

and then robbed Brady of his tittle of Greatest of All Time

Eli will get ,minimum 1 more title. He is about 3 yrs head of what I thought he would do. Everything career wise from this pt on is gravy for him, now its about this giants regimen. Lets get the name Dynasty BACK!

hungrrrry
02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
If Eli went out of the NFL today to be a real estate agent for the rest of his life, he would likely not make it into the HOF. Yes he has 2 superbowl wins but that is not the only factor, and though he was the MVP in both of those games he will still need to back it up, as the HOF panel would require more consistancy and clean up his TD/INT ratio...Passer rating and so on...he is definately heading that way and needs to continue what he is doing now for a few more seasons and he is a shoe-in.</P>

</P>

gumby742
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Right on 420, the passing rules are way different these days. And they do absolutely favor the passer.</P>

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html</P>

hungrrrry
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Great link, but Eli's going to be compared to today's QBs when it comes to getting into the HOF, and rightfully so. "Experts" will find a way to screw him over completely, or make him take 20 years to get in like they did to Harry Carson. Dan Marino has got to be the best QB of all time. He was putting up today's elite QB numbers 20 - 25 years ago. Amazing. For years I've heard people knock Eli for his completion % of under 60%, as a reason he will never be in the same conversation as the all time great QB's like Marino. So imagine my astonishment when I look at the stats of the great Marino himself, and discover that HE didn't even have a completion % of 60% !!!!! This thread was a good idea because it proves once again how ridiculous it is to argue this stuff! There are far too many different variables from era to era to consider, to ever be able to make a definitive argument about any one player, team, etc al.</P>

It won't be completion% alone....look at it this way...Tiki Barber wasn't even an average RB statisticly until Coughlin came and re-constructed Tiki as a RB but he left after three season...his very best seasons, but he is very unlikely to make the HOF even though he has great numbers overall....Eli started to come around these last three seasons and is looking good but hasn't just had a problem with his completion %. INT's has always plagued him, he has been a leadship wimp until this last season, QB rating has not been good but is improving now. Eli has had mechanical issues for most of his career, although this year he has improved, even behind a much more maligned Oline.</P>

He is well on his way but he does still have to earn it, and I believe he will...I didn't believe it up until this past season, and I felt that way for good reason!</P>

bansaw
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
If Eli went out of the NFL today to be a real estate agent for the rest of his life, he would likely not make it into the HOF. Yes he has 2 superbowl wins but that is not the only factor, and though he was the MVP in both of those games he will still need to back it up, as the HOF panel would require more consistancy and clean up his TD/INT ratio...Passer rating and so on...he is definately heading that way and needs to continue what he is doing now for a few more seasons and he is a shoe-in.</p>

</p>still hasnt missed a game

*knocks on wood

since55
02-08-2012, 09:43 AM
So what if Eli (or another qb) finished his career with a 57% completion rate and averaged 20 ints a year but also won 3 Superbowls and was voted mvp in all three? I bet he/they are first ballot hof'ers.
I think his two for two mvp's against Brady insures the hof even if he retired today.

DEgiants89
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
If Eli went out of the NFL today to be a real estate agent for the rest of his life, he would likely not make it into the HOF. Yes he has 2 superbowl wins but that is not the only factor, and though he was the MVP in both of those games he will still need to back it up, as the HOF panel would require more consistancy and clean up his TD/INT ratio...Passer rating and so on...he is definately heading that way and needs to continue what he is doing now for a few more seasons and he is a shoe-in.</p>

</p>still hasnt missed a game

*knocks on wood

you have a great sig but I think he wouldn't because he is just breaking through and people want to see consistency. Toast for Eli to do it and prove his naysayers wrong!

G-Man67
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM

I know right? What Marino was able to do is redic. What Favre was able to do with consecutive starts too. Although no one remembers the 90s Favre so mad biased.

I think Eli has a very good chance on passing ALOT of players and solidify himself in the NFL history. Keep it up Eli...we ALL bELIeve hah

but the thing with Marino is that he refused to play in an offense where running the ball was part of the game plan, which made their team completely one dimensional and gave them little chance of ever winning a championship

he also played in great weather ... now having said that ... he did not have great WRs and as you guys pointed out the rules had yet to be changed to totally favor the O ... finally Marino's release was so lightning quick that he was able to almost entirely negate the pass rush

certainly he deserves to be in the hall of fame and i would blame his coaches for allowing them to be one dimensional ... i don't totally blame Marino b/c his confidence was part of what made him so great and i'm sure he looked at every situation and determined that the best play to run was him throwing it

DEgiants89
02-08-2012, 02:21 PM

but the thing with Marino is that he refused to play in an offense where running the ball was part of the game plan, which made their team completely one dimensional and gave them little chance of ever winning a championship

he also played in great weather ... now having said that ... he did not have great WRs and as you guys pointed out the rules had yet to be changed to totally favor the O ... finally Marino's release was so lightning quick that he was able to almost entirely negate the pass rush</p>

certainly he deserves to be in the hall of fame and i would blame his coaches for allowing them to be one dimensional ... i don't totally blame Marino b/c his confidence was part of what made him so great and i'm sure he looked at every situation and determined that the best play to run was him throwing it</p>

so he pulled a tom brady hah
</p>

Hostetler
02-08-2012, 02:35 PM
The next 4 seasons are critical for Eli to be HOF inductee. At this point he does not need to win another title,2 or3 more 4k passing yards, keep his int in the 10-13 range,or make another deep run in the playoffs (NFCCG, or SB loss). He accomplishes any 2 of the 3 scenarios and he will be a shoe in. I do not find Warners assesment all that skewed, in a nut shell he is saying Eli needs a bigger body of work. I believe all the 2 or more championship QB's have at least 10-13 years in the league, Eli only has 8. I believe in light of our recent championship, we are looking through blue shaded glasses and not really looking at his work as a whole so far. Say what you want now, but from 04 to midway through 06 everyone wanted Rivers back and with good reason, Eli had potential, we all saw that, but was really underachieving.

Kruunch
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
The next 4 seasons are critical for Eli to be HOF inductee.* At this point* he does not need to win another title,*2 or*3 more 4k passing yards, keep his int in the 10-13 range,*or make another deep run in the playoffs (NFCCG, or SB loss). He accomplishes any 2 of the 3 scenarios and he will be a shoe in. I do not find Warners assesment all that skewed, in a nut shell he is saying Eli needs a bigger body of work.* I believe all the 2 or more championship QB's have at least 10-13 years in the league, Eli only has 8.* I believe in light of our recent championship, we are looking through blue shaded glasses and not really looking at his work as a whole so far. Say what you want now, but from 04 to midway through 06 everyone wanted Rivers back and with good reason, Eli had potential, we all saw that, but was really underachieving.

Not critical.

If Eli throws for as little as 3k yards each year for the next 4 years, he'll break 40k yards and that with the SB and MVP titles will be more than enough to get him into Canton.

The question now (for me) is if Eli will be a first ballot HoFer. He'll need another SB title for that I think or to pass 50k yards.

Hostetler
02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
The next 4 seasons are critical for Eli to be HOF inductee. At this point he does not need to win another title,2 or3 more 4k passing yards, keep his int in the 10-13 range,or make another deep run in the playoffs (NFCCG, or SB loss). He accomplishes any 2 of the 3 scenarios and he will be a shoe in. I do not find Warners assesment all that skewed, in a nut shell he is saying Eli needs a bigger body of work. I believe all the 2 or more championship QB's have at least 10-13 years in the league, Eli only has 8. I believe in light of our recent championship, we are looking through blue shaded glasses and not really looking at his work as a whole so far. Say what you want now, but from 04 to midway through 06 everyone wanted Rivers back and with good reason, Eli had potential, we all saw that, but was really underachieving. Not critical. If Eli throws for as little as 3k yards each year for the next 4 years, he'll break 40k yards and that with the SB and MVP titles will be more than enough to get him into Canton. The question now (for me) is if Eli will be a first ballot HoFer. He'll need another SB title for that I think or to pass 50k yards.</P>

</P>

Thats why I said any 2 of the 3 from above - 3k + yards coupled with 10-13 picks and another run would do it as a 1st time go.</P>